Problems playing with Parkinson's

Parkinsons Mouse control Aiming problems Playing with disabilities

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Ice_Fox #1 Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:45 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2125 battles

As anyone looking at my profile can probably tell I’m just an occasional tanker who only plays a few games per week. Often if I have a good and enjoyable first game I’ll finish for the day on the basis that it’s best to quit whilst you are ahead.

My reason for playing mostly springs from an interest in WWII tanks, history in general and making 1:72 scale models.

The problem I now have when playing WOT is that on reaching the age of 60 last year I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease. This mostly affects my right side and thus when it comes to aiming with the mouse I’m finding this difficult in terms of focussing on the target and reaction time when it comes to shooting. Sometimes if I can find a decent bush with tank destroyers I use my left hand (and hope I don’t have to move off quickly!)

I often have to resort to auto aim (if I can click quickly enough) when caught in a brawl as I can’t aim manually fast enough.

So my reason for posting all this today is to ask if the community has any recommendations as to what tanks or tiers to play so as not to become even more of a liability to my teams than I already am.

I’m not in the least bit technically minded (I did economics at university) but any advice on suitable technical gizmos would also be appreciated.

Many thanks and happy tanking to you all.:honoring:

XxKuzkina_MatxX #2 Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:49 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

Tanks like sniping tank destroyers will work just fine, tiers 4, 5 and 6 are quite fun without too much stress.

I have an idea, i am an old man too (53) with some health problems. Do you need to play in randoms or you can just play 1v1 with me in a training room?

It may sound stupid and a bit boring but i'd like to help in any way!

Homer_J #3 Posted 13 May 2019 - 01:39 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32387 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostIce_Fox, on 12 May 2019 - 09:45 PM, said:

So my reason for posting all this today is to ask if the community has any recommendations as to what tanks or tiers to play so as not to become even more of a liability to my teams than I already am.

Arty or slow heavies (Maus, E100)

Unicorn_of_Steel #4 Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:50 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14623 battles
  • [R_D_A] R_D_A

I hope i am not insulting you but do you know how to change the functions of your mousebuttons so that your mouse becomes a left hand mouse?

And there used to be a very simple mini joystick that you can place over the WASD buttons on you keyboard. Something like 1 or 2 euro. Don't know If it is suited for Wot but would make the driving easier i guess.

There is a thread called 'are there any oldies playing besides me' on the forum. There you can find really old men :-). If i remember correctly you are not the only player suffering from a shaky hand. Maybe somebody in that thread can help you too?

Lastly, play snipertanks with accurate guns like the StuG III G, Nashorn and/or tanks with a really short aiming time like  the Swedish medium tank Str. 74. 

Edited by Unicorn_of_Steel, 13 May 2019 - 07:26 AM.

Miepie #5 Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:35 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4033 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

If money isn't much of an issue you can look into some foot pedals to drive the tank / move around in other games, leaving your left hand free to handle the mouse (and your right hand to press auxiliary buttons like the handbrake / repair kit etc.). Plus there's those gadgets that use your eye movement to move the mouse pointer, but they might be pricey. :great:

Edit: Oh, and the KV2 does not care about reflexes, nor about aiming. The tank and turret are slow anyway, so it's more about predicting where you will have to shoot instead of reacting. Half a second delay won't make a difference there. Plus, the gun is wildly inaccurate anyway, so use it as a close-range blunderbuss. This saves you the trouble of aiming at a single pixel on the other side of the map. :teethhappy:

Edited by Miepie, 13 May 2019 - 09:41 AM.

jack_timber #6 Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:57 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40279 battles
Would a roller ball mouse help?

Miepie #7 Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:40 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4033 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Plus, these organisations will have tips and tricks:

https://ablegamers.org/

https://www.specialeffect.org.uk/ :honoring:

Pansenmann #8 Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:48 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36218 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

at first, you might want to have a look at a mouse where you can change the sensitivity on the fly,

but don't hastily buy random stuff you might regret later on

then, you can set in WoT settings different sensitivity for 3rd person view and sniper mode.

you might want to test these settings in a training room if they already help.

also, you can change every function to use different "hotkeys".

autoaim does not have to be on Right mouse button.

maybe a thumb button is easier, so you can use right mouse button for sniper view?

there are some options.

Edited by Pansenmann, 13 May 2019 - 08:48 PM.

VonniVidiVici #9 Posted 14 May 2019 - 06:16 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38759 battles
This may be a terrible idea but have you ever tried using a trackball? Might be easier to work with. I wouldn't normally recommend this for gaming but since WoT is slow paced anyway it might work.

Pi_314159265358979 #10 Posted 14 May 2019 - 06:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 8320 battles
  • [BURRO] BURRO

View PostMiepie, on 13 May 2019 - 09:35 AM, said:

If money isn't much of an issue you can look into some foot pedals to drive the tank / move around in other games, leaving your left hand free to handle the mouse (and your right hand to press auxiliary buttons like the handbrake / repair kit etc.). Plus there's those gadgets that use your eye movement to move the mouse pointer, but they might be pricey. :great:

Edit: Oh, and the KV2 does not care about reflexes, nor about aiming. The tank and turret are slow anyway, so it's more about predicting where you will have to shoot instead of reacting. Half a second delay won't make a difference there. Plus, the gun is wildly inaccurate anyway, so use it as a close-range blunderbuss. This saves you the trouble of aiming at a single pixel on the other side of the map. :teethhappy:

As a KV-2 player, I'm afraid I disagree. At least mine does care about aiming. Most of the time.

Joggaman #11 Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:53 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 25230 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

You should seriously join The Dingers!

A community for old farts and casual players. 

We have Trillock, an old player with issues same as yours. He has his own thread here, think its called "is there any other oldies playing?" Many tips in there. 

Good luck mate!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users