Why do we need Arty in Frontline? A serious question indeed.

Arty Frontline

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

amashi #1 Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13314 battles

We do have 2 Arty abilities - Airstrike and Artillery strike, yes each player can spam an Arty attack and AOE attack every 90 seconds or so. So why do we need SPG players in Frontline?

Not only you get carpet bombed, you also get Nuked by SPG's constantly. When the season started I naively thought, ah only 3 Arty allowed, it's not that bad. Now after few episodes they are focusing players from across the map, sucking the fun out of Frontline. I'm telling you WG can't make a single mode without those goddamn life sucking vampires? You already gave 2 AOE abilities for ALL Frontline players, and you thought 'Ok lets bring Arta in'...

Note i have no problem with the AOE abilities that each player can utilize,  my problem is Frontline SPG players focusing key points every 35 seconds and compounding the already #1 most annoying mechanic in the game.

Oh thanks for the new Heavy spall-liner, it's a life saver... Kappa

Edited by amashi, 16 May 2019 - 12:58 PM.

Dorander #2 Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:59 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 20359 battles
SPGs are part of the game. The correct question would've been "Why do we have airstrike and artystrikes consumables in Frontline?", else this is just another generic artywhine.

amashi #3 Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13314 battles

View PostDorander, on 16 May 2019 - 01:59 PM, said:

SPGs are part of the game. The correct question would've been "Why do we have airstrike and artystrikes consumables in Frontline?", else this is just another generic artywhine.

Wrong, those abilities are great and only shows that - Arty as a role can be replaced by a button.

8126Jakobsson #4 Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:10 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 74732 battles
We need them to make us stop camping, obviously. 

pecopad #5 Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:12 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27069 battles
  • [UGN] UGN
Because its the only way you can play FL....

Sirebellus #6 Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21881 battles

View Postamashi, on 16 May 2019 - 12:57 PM, said:

I'm telling you WG can't make a single mode without those goddamn life sucking vampires

Why should WG make a non-arty mode ?
Arty is an integral part of their game.

WG will never make an arty free mode (any more than they will make a HT free mode or an MT free mode)

WG might possibly one day remove the entire SPG class altogether - but I wouldn't hold your breath for that...

Dorander #7 Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:26 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 20359 battles

View Postamashi, on 16 May 2019 - 12:07 PM, said:

Wrong, those abilities are great and only shows that - Arty as a role can be replaced by a button.

Everything can be replaced by a button, because... *drumroll*... this entire game is played by pressing buttons. You can replace all damage with reserves. You can replace all spotting with reserves. It's a non-argument.

If_I_Die_You_Die_Too #8 Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:36 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6070 battles
Only campers get easily killed by arty

Laatikkomafia #9 Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:39 PM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 23076 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
There needs to be a way for special people to reach General.

BlackBloodBandit #10 Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:43 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4496 battles

We do have 2 Arty abilities - Airstrike and Artillery strike, yes each player can spam an Arty attack and AOE attack every 90 seconds or so. So why do we need SPG players in Frontline?

Not only you get carpet bombed, you also get Nuked by SPG's constantly. When the season started I naively thought, ah only 3 Arty allowed, it's not that bad. Now after few episodes they are focusing players from across the map, sucking the fun out of Frontline. I'm telling you WG can't make a single mode without those goddamn life sucking vampires? You already gave 2 AOE abilities for ALL Frontline players, and you thought 'Ok lets bring Arta in'...

Note i have no problem with the AOE abilities that each player can utilize,  my problem is Frontline SPG players focusing key points every 35 seconds and compounding the already #1 most annoying mechanic in the game.

Oh thanks for the new Heavy spall-liner, it's a life saver... Kappa

first of all: a lot of tanks can only use one special thing, not 2.

2nd: probably trying to stop you from playing your overpowered tanks like LT-432 and Object 252U.. because those are so balanced, right?

3rd, as already mentioned: they are part of the game. I'd rather see the airstrikes and artillery removed from the mode. you use your repair kit, and 1 sec later your tracks are blown off again.

Besides this, the only thing I have against arties is the xvm-focus. I get shot sometimes by multiple arties (while there are max 3, you would think). even under the bridge on C they shoot at me while my allies are a much better target to hit and I bet there are better players then me on my team.

Three_Rounds_Rapid #11 Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:49 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 40816 battles
  • [W__F] W__F

So at least one member of the team has a chance of resetting cap while all the "real" players are wanking on a ridge somewhere pinging the map and crying "SPOT!".............

Edited by Three_Rounds_Rapid, 16 May 2019 - 02:50 PM.

Desyatnik_Pansy #12 Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:56 PM

Bartender

• Player
  • 17459 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostDorander, on 16 May 2019 - 12:59 PM, said:

Though I think saying those consumables should be removed is just not going to happen, I am of the opinion that arty itself should not have access to those consumables. In fact, I don't think arty should have access to any consumable (especially not 3), but go figure. At most I don't think the arty strike should have the ability to track you. Instead of what it is now, people who are quick enough to react would end up receiving less damage whereas someone who is tracked and then bombed would receive more.

It wouldn't be something like this where, for the entirety of my 1.6k hp, I would lose all but 14 to four (or three, but pretty sure it was four) consecutive arty strikes that I simply couldn't do anything about (even if my repair kit was available; which it wasn't due to my engagement on the corner; I don't believe I would've had the opening to use it and get away in time between them, simply they would track me instantly again and I would slowly be bombed to death regardless.

When the season started I naively thought, ah only 3 Arty allowed, it's not that bad.

Honestly it really does surprise me how often you can find yourself, one player out of the 27 On your team (excluding your own arty of course) can find yourself being the target of two or even three of the arty. Here's a funny screenshot from the other day (I do apologise for not censoring names, but oh well):

Spoiler

For some context, no, I was not camping up on that hill for a good few minutes, nor was the Primo Victoria behind me. I have only just got up here, with the shot on the LT-432 In the damage log (and who you can see) being the first time I'm lit up here. I did get spotted at the base of the climb, engaging a Tiger II Who was below the bridge and I believe the Primo was spotted by the Lorraine by the resupply point as he crossed the bridge himself. The unfortunate Primo would then be killed soon after by an airstrike and about a minute later I would get spotted while not poking (so Recon Plane) and the SU-14-2 Would shoot at me again as well as attempt to arty strike me.

Don't get me wrong mind you. I understand somewhat why I am the target over other folks spotted. The Primo parked up right next to me, making a juicy target to shoot at, not to mention that tanks up in that position can be pretty effective so arguably you'd want to focus them down. It's still just surprising though to be the target of all three arty at the same time. It's even more surprising in other instances, though I haven't had another where all three hit me at once but over a period of like 30 Seconds, especially when you're not capping or anything which would equally make sense.

Jeez, how did this end up being such a long post.

DeadLecter #13 Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:17 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29815 battles

Because if you didn't then who would destroy the game?

Oh, I forgot. Arty prevents camping. The same way 430 and 430U are rare but T-44-122 isn't.

Geno1isme #14 Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:22 PM

General

• Player
  • 46099 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

The strike consumables are the problem, not the solution. Due to the very long cooldown (I think 5 minutes for airstrike) they are unrelyable, esp. at the beginning of the game. Without arty you'd kinda force defenders to commit suizide to reset the cap at A and B. What you often get with the consumables is that esp. when they first come off cooldown that multiple strikes hit the same target (as everyone has the same cooldown), which is probably even more frustrating than getting hit by three "normal" arties (and in FL usually only two arties can hit the same target due to range limitations).

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 16 May 2019 - 03:56 PM, said:

Don't get me wrong mind you. I understand somewhat why I am the target over other folks spotted. The Primo parked up right next to me, making a juicy target to shoot at, not to mention that tanks up in that position can be pretty effective so arguably you'd want to focus them down. It's still just surprising though to be the target of all three arty at the same time. It's even more surprising in other instances, though I haven't had another where all three hit me at once but over a period of like 30 Seconds, especially when you're not capping or anything which would equally make sense.

The question is always what targets are available for the arty to shoot at. For the SU to hit you there it must have relocated to sector E, which likely means that A has fallen and it can't support D due to the large mountain. And at E your target options are often severely limited by terrain.

Going by the hit indicators both the M43 and the Lorraine are in, or at least very close to sector F, so naturally they support C. Going by the minimap I'd assume that all the tanks east of you are unspotted, so it's not that surprising that all enemy arties are focusing your position (but of course not really predictable in the game either).

amashi #15 Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:33 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13314 battles

View PostThree_Rounds_Rapid, on 16 May 2019 - 03:49 PM, said:

So at least one member of the team has a chance of resetting cap while all the "real" players are wanking on a ridge somewhere pinging the map and crying "SPOT!".............

...Seems fair enough :amazed:

wEight_Tanker #16 Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9817 battles
  • [VI90M] VI90M
I don't mind arty in Frontline. Just be aware that one might be targeting you. It's a lot easier and more relaxing since you can respawn. :trollface:

amashi #17 Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13314 battles

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 16 May 2019 - 03:56 PM, said:

Though I think saying those consumables should be removed is just not going to happen, I am of the opinion that arty itself should not have access to those consumables. In fact, I don't think arty should have access to any consumable (especially not 3), but go figure. At most I don't think the arty strike should have the ability to track you. Instead of what it is now, people who are quick enough to react would end up receiving less damage whereas someone who is tracked and then bombed would receive more.

It wouldn't be something like this where, for the entirety of my 1.6k hp, I would lose all but 14 to four (or three, but pretty sure it was four) consecutive arty strikes that I simply couldn't do anything about (even if my repair kit was available; which it wasn't due to my engagement on the corner; I don't believe I would've had the opening to use it and get away in time between them, simply they would track me instantly again and I would slowly be bombed to death regardless.

Honestly it really does surprise me how often you can find yourself, one player out of the 27 On your team (excluding your own arty of course) can find yourself being the target of two or even three of the arty. Here's a funny screenshot from the other day (I do apologise for not censoring names, but oh well):

Spoiler

For some context, no, I was not camping up on that hill for a good few minutes, nor was the Primo Victoria behind me. I have only just got up here, with the shot on the LT-432 In the damage log (and who you can see) being the first time I'm lit up here. I did get spotted at the base of the climb, engaging a Tiger II Who was below the bridge and I believe the Primo was spotted by the Lorraine by the resupply point as he crossed the bridge himself. The unfortunate Primo would then be killed soon after by an airstrike and about a minute later I would get spotted while not poking (so Recon Plane) and the SU-14-2 Would shoot at me again as well as attempt to arty strike me.

Jeez, how did this end up being such a long post.

Good idea, didn't thought about Arty having an extra Arty attack, this is horrible and must not be allowed. It's like allowing a form of cheating. How giving Tanks a second fire a round ability like activating a med-kit? 

WG Wake up! your game is dying from excessive Arty bombardment! 

Edited by amashi, 16 May 2019 - 03:42 PM.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #18 Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:49 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 32400 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

If every other player is constantly bombarding you every 30 secs with airstrike/artillery then why do you even care about the tiny number of actual SPGs in the game?

Dava_117 #19 Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:49 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21479 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I agree with the many that say the problem are indirect fire reserves. And in my opinion, the main problem of them is that they come down vertically. If arty strike came down at 45° from the north for defenders and from the south for attackers they would be avoidable by using terrains and buildings as cover. 

As it is now is simply silly and freely spammable byany player at once.

Desyatnik_Pansy #20 Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:55 PM

Bartender

• Player
  • 17459 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostGeno1isme, on 16 May 2019 - 03:22 PM, said:

The question is always what targets are available for the arty to shoot at. For the SU to hit you there it must have relocated to sector E, which likely means that A has fallen and it can't support D due to the large mountain. And at E your target options are often severely limited by terrain.

Going by the hit indicators both the M43 and the Lorraine are in, or at least very close to sector F, so naturally they support C. Going by the minimap I'd assume that all the tanks east of you are unspotted, so it's not that surprising that all enemy arties are focusing your position (but of course not really predictable in the game either).

Just to clarify one thing there, A Has not fallen yet (and wouldn't until about 2 Minutes later). :P

Also tagged with Arty, Frontline

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users