Arty and air strikes are excessive in Frontline

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Amun_RA #1 Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:19 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 47339 battles

Frontline is very much unplayable, you cannot play strategically because of the stupid almost non-stop arty and air strike consumables. They must be very much reduced.

*smart* guys at WG thought this was a brilliant idea to frustrate players even more than in random. 

Edited by Amun_RA, 17 May 2019 - 12:19 AM.

Desyatnik_Pansy #2 Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:01 AM

Bartender

• Player
  • 17459 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

Simple solution to the artillery strike problem since they would most likely not remove them:

-don't allow them to be stacked in the same position. This way players don't get hit by arty strikes repeatedly with no opening to repair and retreat. Frankly the arty strikes should be more for area denial than for damage dealing, which considering the buffs to it should be the job of the air strikes 

-lower the tracking capability of the arty strikes. Again, area denial, they should more force someone to push forward or retreat out of the barrage rather than staying where they are, appropriately punishing those who do stay. As it is now, you often end up tracked (sometimes it feels like I get tracked on the shots that don't get do damage to me, which is annoying) and can do nothing but sit out the barrage so you can repair the tracks afterwards, which doesn't happen if you get strikes stacked on top of you as above

KanonenVogel19 #3 Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:07 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 390 battles

The solution to this is to limit the consumables to only a class, or, to limit certain classes to certain consumables. For example, calling in air strikes or artillery barrages is typically the job for recon tanks. So, only light tanks should be able to use them. Further restrictions can be to only be able to use these consumables within the tanks view or render distance.

Another problem is that these consumables are completely unrealistic. The artillery strike is way to accurate, way to intensive and one individual shell does way too little damage. The air strike makes no sense at all. It arrives to quickly, it drops a rediculous amount of midget bombs, and it's way to inaccurate. This is what happens when you don't implement things in a realistic way.

For artillery strikes, they should offer different calibers. Higher calibers mean more alpha per shell but fever shells and worse accuracy. Smaller calibers mean less alpha per shell but more shells and better accuracy. And they should not be so intense, it should be a bigger delay between each shell and one barrage should last for atleast 10-15 seconds.

For air strikes, they should offer different types of aircraft. Fighter aircraft can do a strafing run, which could stun and detrack, but only do damage against lightly armored targets. Dive bombers can drop a single 50 kg bomb that has high penetration and damage, but long delay until the strike arrives.

Wintermute_1 #4 Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:00 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47781 battles
You can hear when an arty strike is fired by the thumping, it would help to have that followed by a whistling sound if you where in its target circle.

Captain_Kremen0 #5 Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:35 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 38418 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB
My solution to this is not playing FL. I really don't get the Air strike bollocks so I don't play it.

Jauhesammutin #6 Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23174 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI

View PostAmun_RA, on 16 May 2019 - 11:19 PM, said:

Frontline is very much unplayable, you cannot play strategically because of the stupid almost non-stop arty and air strike consumables. They must be very much reduced.

*smart* guys at WG thought this was a brilliant idea to frustrate players even more than in random. 

So now you call camping "playing strategically"? The arty/air strike takes 5 seconds before it starts to hit. After getting spotted you still have 2 seconds time to move (assuming the enemy will strike at the exact same moment as you get spotted).

Airstrikes prevent camping. Whenever I get striked it's because I'm sitting in the same spot. 

friedeggnchips #7 Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:32 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2240 battles

Whats the matter, you cant stand being killed by an enemy you cant see sitting at the back of the map clicking his mouse every 30 seconds?

WilhelmII #8 Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:11 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 34460 battles
  • [AT2] AT2

Never done this for real have you where you have no damn choice in the matter, stop being soft it is a game you don't really die, this is part of warfare whether it is a game or not, live and get on with it, if it frustrates damages or kills you in the game then Great!!!  it is doing it's job, (Supress, Depress, Disorientate, Demoralise, Confuse, Disperse, Destroy and Annihilate) your job is to still continue to get round it and achieve the objective which does not include spitting your dummy out when things get harder.

I just love to hear the criers in game calling  Arty clickers, all because they have just had a pasting from it.  

Homer_J #9 Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:48 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31398 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostAmun_RA, on 17 May 2019 - 12:19 AM, said:

Unplayable, no.  But it ruins the whole point of having any camo or repair kit since you are perma spotted and then get hit by two arty strikes and an air strike if you are anywhere remotely useful.

I do think they need getting rid of after this year's round because there's a lot of people just camping back and only using the consumables without fighting.

View PostJauhesammutin, on 17 May 2019 - 02:07 PM, said:

After getting spotted

Spotted by the stupid spotter planes no matter where you try to hide.

The only way is to permanently zoom around at 80kph in an EBR.  Maybe that's why there are so many of them.

SaintMaddenus #10 Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:18 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 36761 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I rarely play arty in FL but when I do I feel so dirty when I track a player with my shot then drop another two loads on them by plane and arty support....  especially when they capping...

But watching that exp bar go up has its own rewards so the dirty feeling goes away quickly.

what is funny to see at night is how you can have a queue with as many arty as the whole of rest of tanks together... :)

Jauhesammutin #11 Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23174 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI

View PostHomer_J, on 17 May 2019 - 02:48 PM, said:

Spotted by the stupid spotter planes no matter where you try to hide.

The only way is to permanently zoom around at 80kph in an EBR.  Maybe that's why there are so many of them.

Or in any other light tank or medium. It's hard for slow heavies to avoid strikes, but they lose like 100hp so it doesn't matter.

SaintMaddenus #12 Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:39 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 36761 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

"Or in any other light tank or medium. It's hard for slow heavies to avoid strikes, but they lose like 100hp so it doesn't matter."

My kv4 has the spall liner to prevent arty hurting it much.  One battle I got hit by so many strikes I couldn't move nor see for what felt like a whole minute as a lot of people decided to strike my tank all at the same time.  I was just laughing at the end of it.    took much less than 400 damage.

But I do agree pain the backside for many

Xqual #13 Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:43 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 63221 battles

dont play frontline.

problem solved.

Desyatnik_Pansy #14 Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:45 PM

Bartender

• Player
  • 17459 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostSaintMaddenus, on 17 May 2019 - 04:39 PM, said:

"Or in any other light tank or medium. It's hard for slow heavies to avoid strikes, but they lose like 100hp so it doesn't matter."

My kv4 has the spall liner to prevent arty hurting it much.  One battle I got hit by so many strikes I couldn't move nor see for what felt like a whole minute as a lot of people decided to strike my tank all at the same time.  I was just laughing at the end of it.    took much less than 400 damage.

But I do agree pain the backside for many

My Caernarvon wishes it took so little damage. :P

Dorander #15 Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:15 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 20349 battles

View PostJauhesammutin, on 17 May 2019 - 03:26 PM, said:

Or in any other light tank or medium. It's hard for slow heavies to avoid strikes, but they lose like 100hp so it doesn't matter.

I'm sorry but that's simply false, I was capping in my Lowe yesterday, took an two shots from a GW Tiger for about 700 total, and airstrike (mostly stun and track, that damage was indeed "like 100 hp") and an artystrike. I survived with 16 hitpoints, 3 dead crewmembers and 2 broken modules (imagine how much fun THAT was). Lowe has 1650 hp so that artystrike took off around half my hitpoints. And since I was capping, it's not like I could just move anywhere anyway, because you just become a rank-up pinata for camping defenders at that point.

Even if you shrug off the hp loss for some reason, the advantage of these strikes to stop cappers is stupid. In another battle yesterday I was in my SkorpG defending C, I had decent cover and I got a warning E was being capped. So I pressed my airstrike, scrolled a little, picked a likely location (just behind the north building next to the metal pipes/rockpiles), dropped my airstrike and got half a rank. Not sure it made a significant difference to the outcome but E was not capped, if nothing else I gave the people there 5 extra seconds and myself a bunch of rank progress, and all from 4.5 km away.

These strikes are outright ridiculous, especially in the way they favour defenders. They need some basic requirements before they can function to reduce this, require line of sight, require a certain range, limit them only to the flank people are actually in. Right now they just replace tactics and ability with result.

Bordhaw #16 Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:54 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 13572 battles

Jauhesammutin #17 Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23174 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI

View PostDorander, on 17 May 2019 - 04:15 PM, said:

I'm sorry but that's simply false, I was capping in my Lowe yesterday, took an two shots from a GW Tiger for about 700 total, and airstrike (mostly stun and track, that damage was indeed "like 100 hp") and an artystrike. I survived with 16 hitpoints, 3 dead crewmembers and 2 broken modules (imagine how much fun THAT was). Lowe has 1650 hp so that artystrike took off around half my hitpoints. And since I was capping, it's not like I could just move anywhere anyway, because you just become a rank-up pinata for camping defenders at that point.

Even if you shrug off the hp loss for some reason, the advantage of these strikes to stop cappers is stupid. In another battle yesterday I was in my SkorpG defending C, I had decent cover and I got a warning E was being capped. So I pressed my airstrike, scrolled a little, picked a likely location (just behind the north building next to the metal pipes/rockpiles), dropped my airstrike and got half a rank. Not sure it made a significant difference to the outcome but E was not capped, if nothing else I gave the people there 5 extra seconds and myself a bunch of rank progress, and all from 4.5 km away.

These strikes are outright ridiculous, especially in the way they favour defenders. They need some basic requirements before they can function to reduce this, require line of sight, require a certain range, limit them only to the flank people are actually in. Right now they just replace tactics and ability with result.

So you got hit twice by an arty, then got airstriked and then artystrike and you were still alive? I destroyed TD's from full HP with only the airstrike.

If you push the cap when they are defending you should be getting killed. Attackers have such a huge advantage in this mode. 

That's your opinion. I like the strikes. If I get striked I know I'm doing something wrong. 

7thSyndicate #18 Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:52 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 45402 battles

View PostJauhesammutin, on 17 May 2019 - 06:29 PM, said:

If I get striked I know I'm doing something wrong. 

Yes, ur most likely spotted

Random_Humanoid #19 Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:57 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17089 battles

View PostJauhesammutin, on 17 May 2019 - 01:07 PM, said:

So now you call camping "playing strategically"? The arty/air strike takes 5 seconds before it starts to hit. After getting spotted you still have 2 seconds time to move (assuming the enemy will strike at the exact same moment as you get spotted).

Airstrikes prevent camping. Whenever I get striked it's because I'm sitting in the same spot. 

Like in the cap circle trying to capture it?

Jauhesammutin #20 Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:31 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23174 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI

View PostRandom_Humanoid, on 17 May 2019 - 06:57 PM, said:

Like in the cap circle trying to capture it?

If you go into the cap do you assume that the enemy isn't going to shoot at you?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Jauhesammutin