Jump to content


Cromwell... anything I can do to improve?

Cromwell Crusader

  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Lagalaza #1 Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:33 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 6249 battles
  • 142
  • [D-ANG] D-ANG
  • Member since:
    08-11-2018

Hello again everyone.

 

After some advice again, this time with regard to the Cromwell. I have ploughed my way through the Crusader with some of the worst results I've had in my short career in WOT. Definitely not my playstyle. Grinding the P43 at the same time and that was a joy with some of my best play overall in any tank. Really consistent in it so far and love the playstyle. Am I going to find the Cromwell similar to the Crusader or can I play it more like the P43 with a mix of spotting, sniping and even stand and trade if I find a good position? Bottom line, are there any major things I should know about how to play the Cromwell? I'm watching youtube vids but thought I'd ask you folks as well. Any help much appreciated.

 

Thanks,

Lagalaza



7thSyndicate #2 Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:46 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 46155 battles
  • 495
  • Member since:
    10-09-2012
Cromwell is good, good mobility and gun, you can reach key positions fast to snipe... but has no armor. For equipment GLD, rammer and binos/or optics, i would go for binos for the best view range.

Edited by 7thSyndicate, 21 May 2019 - 10:48 AM.


Lagalaza #3 Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:53 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 6249 battles
  • 142
  • [D-ANG] D-ANG
  • Member since:
    08-11-2018

View Post7thSyndicate, on 21 May 2019 - 09:46 AM, said:

Cromwell is good, good mobility and gun, you can reach key positions fast to snipe... but has no armor. For equipment GLD, rammer and binos/or optics, i would go for binos for the best view range.

 

So a good sniper/passive spotter but not for trading alpha!! Are the gun stats good enough to forego the rammer or GLD in favour of a Camo net, Vert Stabs or even Vents?

 



dan_dix #4 Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:55 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 17485 battles
  • 231
  • Member since:
    01-09-2016

Cromwell is fast with low alpha and little armour - so you mostly play it almost as a light - spot and hassle other tanks, move in and out quickly. You can damage other tanks that are distracted, or pop over and circle slow tanks, plus get a lot of assist from spotting.

 

Edit: (Sorry thought you meant P43.bis which is a slightly different beast, as it has some (not much) armour against lower tiers, and a high alpha gun, and is not as mobile)


Edited by dan_dix, 21 May 2019 - 11:04 AM.


burbage1 #5 Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:57 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 791 battles
  • 103
  • Member since:
    09-09-2017

View PostLagalaza, on 21 May 2019 - 10:33 AM, said:

Hello again everyone.

 

After some advice again, this time with regard to the Cromwell. I have ploughed my way through the Crusader with some of the worst results I've had in my short career in WOT. Definitely not my playstyle. Grinding the P43 at the same time and that was a joy with some of my best play overall in any tank. Really consistent in it so far and love the playstyle. Am I going to find the Cromwell similar to the Crusader or can I play it more like the P43 with a mix of spotting, sniping and even stand and trade if I find a good position? Bottom line, are there any major things I should know about how to play the Cromwell? I'm watching youtube vids but thought I'd ask you folks as well. Any help much appreciated.

 

Thanks,

Lagalaza

 

Sell it and grind the French cars if you want to win all the time? Otherwise, the key to WOT in anything other than a heavy/car is the Art of Not Being Seen. If you're spotted in a Crommie, you're dead.

Edited by burbage1, 21 May 2019 - 10:58 AM.


dan_dix #6 Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:58 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 17485 battles
  • 231
  • Member since:
    01-09-2016

View PostLagalaza, on 21 May 2019 - 10:53 AM, said:

 

So a good sniper/passive spotter but not for trading alpha!! Are the gun stats good enough to forego the rammer or GLD in favour of a Camo net, Vert Stabs or even Vents?

 

 

You can't mount Vert Stab on Cromwell. GLD is useful as aim time is not that great. Use rammer and GLD, then binos with a low-skilled crew and optics once your crew has good vision skills. A good crew as always makes a big difference

7thSyndicate #7 Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:00 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 46155 battles
  • 495
  • Member since:
    10-09-2012

View PostLagalaza, on 21 May 2019 - 09:53 AM, said:

 

So a good sniper/passive spotter but not for trading alpha!! Are the gun stats good enough to forego the rammer or GLD in favour of a Camo net, Vert Stabs or even Vents?

 

 

The aiming circle is giant so the gld will help you alot, dont think you can use now vert stab on him, and i would keep the view range instead of vents for obvious reasons, you can trade 1 on 1, you have the speed but you need to be smart about it

barison1 #8 Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:00 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 41903 battles
  • 1,628
  • [MEME] MEME
  • Member since:
    01-14-2012

View PostLagalaza, on 21 May 2019 - 10:53 AM, said:

 

So a good sniper/passive spotter but not for trading alpha!! Are the gun stats good enough to forego the rammer or GLD in favour of a Camo net, Vert Stabs or even Vents?

 

 

camo net is near always a plain no go

 

most common MT setups are vstab/rammer/optic  or vstab/rammer/vent

 

if vstab not avaible (like on cromwell so far i remember but can be mistaken) just take vent/rammer/optic i would say

 

use mobility on cromwell to flank around, snipe for bit, no armor to engage tanks front on first half of the game, 2nd half of the game you can be more agressive and pick tanks off 1 by 1



lnfernaI #9 Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:47 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 31788 battles
  • 4,341
  • [BBGEU] BBGEU
  • Member since:
    09-15-2012

View Postbarison1, on 21 May 2019 - 12:00 PM, said:

 

camo net is near always a plain no go

what you mean, i use one on K-91.

 

on cromwell

try hulldown.



Lagalaza #10 Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:52 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 6249 battles
  • 142
  • [D-ANG] D-ANG
  • Member since:
    08-11-2018
Thanks all. Much appreciated. I will equip with GLD, rammer and optics/binocs to start. Guess i'll have to get better at this darting about stuff and stop trying to play everything like a heavy or an armoured TD!! Aim is to be better than I have been in the Crusader, which wont be difficult. Hell I've been rubbish in that tank....

7thSyndicate #11 Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:56 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 46155 battles
  • 495
  • Member since:
    10-09-2012

View PostlnfernaI, on 21 May 2019 - 10:47 AM, said:

what you mean, i use one on K-91.

 

on cromwell

try hulldown.

 

200IQ logic, try camo net hulldown... its like using invisibility cloak

facmanpob #12 Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:17 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 3053 battles
  • 190
  • [WW3] WW3
  • Member since:
    05-06-2013

View PostLagalaza, on 21 May 2019 - 10:52 AM, said:

Thanks all. Much appreciated. I will equip with GLD, rammer and optics/binocs to start. Guess i'll have to get better at this darting about stuff and stop trying to play everything like a heavy or an armoured TD!! Aim is to be better than I have been in the Crusader, which wont be difficult. Hell I've been rubbish in that tank....

 

I played through the Cromwell a couple of months ago and it was a good introduction to the British medium line (currently on the Centurion 7/1). I found that the best way to play British mediums from Tier 6 upwards was to make sure you have other friendlies around you wherever you go - you can't hold a flank on your own - and use ridgelines and cover to play peek-a-boo from medium range. The gun handling will frustrate you at long range so stay just behind your frontline tanks. If the enemy is shooting at something else then you can use your excellent dpm and gun depression to really punish them. Camo on your crew will help you out immensely on all the British line.

barison1 #13 Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:23 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 41903 battles
  • 1,628
  • [MEME] MEME
  • Member since:
    01-14-2012

View PostlnfernaI, on 21 May 2019 - 11:47 AM, said:

what you mean, i use one on K-91.

 

on cromwell

try hulldown.

 

dont see why one would use camo net leaving out one more important equipment. way to go would be vstab/rammer/optic or vstab/rammer/vent

lnfernaI #14 Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:37 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 31788 battles
  • 4,341
  • [BBGEU] BBGEU
  • Member since:
    09-15-2012

View Postbarison1, on 21 May 2019 - 02:23 PM, said:

 

dont see why one would use camo net leaving out one more important equipment. way to go would be vstab/rammer/optic or vstab/rammer/vent

 

You need not optics on K-91. I go with vstab and rammer. third slot can go to either camo net,vents or binos.

K-91 doesn't relocate all that often. You get 410m VR under normal circumstances, which is just 10m short of Fatton. Use food,vents situational awareness and recon and you haved it maxed. with optics you get 500,and with binos you get 564.

View Post7thSyndicate, on 21 May 2019 - 12:56 PM, said:

 

200IQ logic, try camo net hulldown... its like using invisibility cloak

 

yes i do that quite often. hulldown in K-91.

Edited by lnfernaI, 21 May 2019 - 01:42 PM.


burbage1 #15 Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:42 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 791 battles
  • 103
  • Member since:
    09-09-2017

View Postbarison1, on 21 May 2019 - 01:23 PM, said:

 

dont see why one would use camo net leaving out one more important equipment. way to go would be vstab/rammer/optic or vstab/rammer/vent

 

Most important thing is not being seen. Camo net is an option.

barison1 #16 Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:44 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 41903 battles
  • 1,628
  • [MEME] MEME
  • Member since:
    01-14-2012

View Postburbage1, on 21 May 2019 - 01:42 PM, said:

 

Most important thing is not being seen. Camo net is an option.

 

or abusing bush mechanics which are as effective as camo net and so on

 

things like vents/rammer/optic/vstab are near always preferred over camo net as they are more important/useful



7thSyndicate #17 Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:47 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 46155 battles
  • 495
  • Member since:
    10-09-2012

View Postbarison1, on 21 May 2019 - 12:44 PM, said:

 

or abusing bush mechanics which are as effective as camo net and so on

 

things like vents/rammer/optic/vstab are near always preferred over camo net as they are more important/useful

 

Unless ur kemping the bush the whole game

barison1 #18 Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:51 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 41903 battles
  • 1,628
  • [MEME] MEME
  • Member since:
    01-14-2012

View Post7thSyndicate, on 21 May 2019 - 03:47 PM, said:

 

Unless ur kemping the bush the whole game

 

behind arty :trollface:

burbage1 #19 Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:57 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 791 battles
  • 103
  • Member since:
    09-09-2017

View Postbarison1, on 21 May 2019 - 01:44 PM, said:

 

or abusing bush mechanics which are as effective as camo net and so on

 

things like vents/rammer/optic/vstab are near always preferred over camo net as they are more important/useful

 

The bushes are getting thinner and thinner, like the crocodile... In mid tiers, not being seen is still useful. Survive the first 5-7minutes of the game then use Crommie mobility for spotting and mopping up.

 



Slyspy #20 Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:03 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 14511 battles
  • 17,239
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-07-2011
Given that the Cromwell is a highly mobile vehicle it seems of dubious value to mount an EGLD since that only works when stationary IIRC.





Also tagged with Cromwell, Crusader

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users