Cromwell... anything I can do to improve?

Cromwell Crusader

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

ZlatanArKung #21 Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:10 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 1537 battles

View PostLagalaza, on 21 May 2019 - 10:33 AM, said:

Hello again everyone.

After some advice again, this time with regard to the Cromwell. I have ploughed my way through the Crusader with some of the worst results I've had in my short career in WOT. Definitely not my playstyle. Grinding the P43 at the same time and that was a joy with some of my best play overall in any tank. Really consistent in it so far and love the playstyle. Am I going to find the Cromwell similar to the Crusader or can I play it more like the P43 with a mix of spotting, sniping and even stand and trade if I find a good position? Bottom line, are there any major things I should know about how to play the Cromwell? I'm watching youtube vids but thought I'd ask you folks as well. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Lagalaza

The Cromwell is a beast that you have to tame.

It is very fast, so you can easily get into terrible positions and die without doing anything. But the speed also allows you to change flanks very fast and can bail you out if needed.

The gun have pretty bad gunhandling and low damage, but the dpm is good. So it can take out lone enemies rather fast, if it hits. But you can't trade well.

The armour is just bad, so you have to avoid fighting O-I, KV-2 and all other tanks with those guns, because they can, and will 1-shot you from full hp.

It is also a large tank, which can be problematic.

lnfernaI #22 Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:39 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 31759 battles
  • [BBGEU] BBGEU

View PostZlatanArKung, on 21 May 2019 - 07:10 PM, said:

It is als a large tank, which can be problematic.

how is it large?

It's pretty small.

SnowRelic #23 Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:18 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23954 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I'm quite sure the Cromwell is consistently among my top five, perhaps even top three favourite tanks. It varies from time to time. What makes the tank amazing is its mobility; both speed and agility. That's what makes it so appealing to me. It can circle just about anything to death. And it has a good enough turret traverse to keep up. Some fast tanks are lacking there; you might then drive a circle around your victim, but the gun won't point at it.

The gun's good for a tier 6 medium as well. It has one, huge downside. And again that has to do with circles, but this time with aiming circles. Remember, before there were Cromwells driving around and shooting at stuff, there were no craters on the moon. Now the moon is full of them. I once aggravated a toonmate of mine as drove five ever smaller circles around and arty and firing the whole time. Shots just didn't come close to the target. Or at least not any target I was aiming at. Eventually as I came pretty much next to the arty, the shells started connecting.

Also camo and view range are pretty decent, especially with a... ahem... decent... crew.

It's a really enjoyable fun tank. Just don't ever rely on the cannon firing straight. It will not. If ever you need to snipe, do make sure you have the time to actually aim. Try to avoid such situations. Use the mobility to engage and disengage. Harass and pester. Figure out where a victim's rear is pointing to and how you can get to positions where you've got clean shots on it. You've got sweet times ahead.

iztok #24 Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:32 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 35215 battles

Cromwell is a medium that should be played as a light. And it sees tier-8 tanks way WAY too often. That's the reason I lost interest in playing it.

18:36 Added after 3 minutes

View PostSnowRelic, on 21 May 2019 - 07:18 PM, said:

It can circle just about anything to death.

It can't circle Tog. ;)

smokeytheband1t #25 Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:43 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9505 battles
i play the Cromwell b (but it's pretty much the same thing).. decent camo for a med.. ok view range.. gun isn't really a snipers 1st choice i guess but ROF kinda makes up for the accuracy ... i just try to stay alive until the game reaches end game state.. mobility makes it a slow LT basically when the map opens up

Edited by smokeytheband1t, 21 May 2019 - 07:44 PM.

ZlatanArKung #26 Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:59 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 1537 battles

View PostlnfernaI, on 21 May 2019 - 06:39 PM, said:

how is it large?

It's pretty small.

Nah, it is pretty large imo.

As big as the T-150 on same tier. A small T6 tank is the AMX 12t.

Also tagged with Cromwell, Crusader

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users