A little ranked feedback/discussion.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

cro001 #1 Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:05 PM

Major

• Player
  • 32771 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Alright, so new season is underway with fair bit of changes but I personally feel WG has a lot to improve in ranked games. I'm not holding my breath though, seeing how they do their own weird things.

So in my mind and taking inspiration from other titles, here is stuff WG can improve:

• Picking tanks
  • Maps
  • Tanks
  • Ladder/points system
  • Season duration
  • Rewards

With that said, here are some basic ideas WG could try to implement:

1. Picking tanks. This is currently possibly RNG-est part of ranked games. You're going in blind, hoping your tank is getting map where it does it's job well. This leads in turn leads to forcing people to take safe picks like 430U, Chieftain, 907, etc. Sure, there are maps where E3 would be better than 430U, but hey, you can't keep picking E3 all the time and hope for one map, right? What WG should do is it like in FL, where you queue all your available tier 10s and then load the map.
  2. Maps. This is also one obvious issue - maps are lackluster overall.  What WG should do is keep track of maps stats, and where there is clear bias towards one side - take that map out tweak it for next season. It could be done 1 by 1, always taking the worst map out of the rotation. It would be perpetual process of balacing. EDIT: Another option is simply ban the map you dislike, same as tank bans.
  3. Tanks. Here it is clear as a day, same as with maps - the biggest problem is balance. If you're picking E5 and you have to do same job as S.Conqueror it is obvious to seasoned player that he is gimped from the start. Same goes to many other tanks, like Rhm-Pzw and others. What WG should do is introduce the tank bans. Banning the tank is very clear way of communication between WG and players. You as a player are clearly saying that you don't like playing against tank you ban. As with maps, WG before starting the next season should do a patch with changed to most banned and perhaps least picked tanks.
  4. Ladder and points system. While WG took a step in right direction by making ladder system, chevron system is still skewed to positive side. Also, shields should be expanded. What WG should do is to return to neutral chevron system where there is equal amount of losers and winners. Shields should be removed from ranks 10 or whatever and changed into relegation system. Once you lose rank 1/earn rank 15 you should enter a "challenger mode" of some sort. In that mode you and guys who are in relegation get X amount of battles to prove themselves that they should move up or down the division.
  5. Season duration. In most games, ranked seasons are either year round or between major patches. WG is not doing that with either CW or ranked battles. This usually takes 2+ months so the gameplay settles and most people get ranked properly. WG as it stands makes bigger breaks and short stints of ranked. What WG should do is prolong the season duration and shorten the breaks. Since WOT is not super competitive, maybe something like 2 months of ranked then a month of break or something.
  6. Rewards. If WG does introduce the neutral chevron system back, rewards should be tweaked. What WG is now doing is saying to players: "If you climb all the way to the top, you get some epic prizes!" While that's not too bad, what WG should do is make average WOT player content with his placement and reward for it. As it stands right now, with bronze, silver and gold league WG should adjust prizes for middle crowd(presumably silver) and decrease the rewards accordingly for bronze and increase for gold. Maybe even like Fame point shop in last CW campaign?

So yeah, this my little feedback, if anyone has bothered to read all of it - what do you think?

Edited by cro001, 24 May 2019 - 08:27 PM.

Long_Range_Sniper #2 Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:20 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 37418 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Postcro001, on 24 May 2019 - 07:05 PM, said:

So yeah, this my little feedback, if anyone has bothered to read all of it - what do you think?

I wonder about allowing map blocking in ranked? 

cro001 #3 Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:27 PM

Major

• Player
  • 32771 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 24 May 2019 - 08:20 PM, said:

I wonder about allowing map blocking in ranked? 

That is also a solid option I have considered, not even sure why I haven't written it down.

Bejer #4 Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:43 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 32682 battles
  • [OM] OM
ban cw/reward tanks and the mode already improves by a good amount

Balc0ra #5 Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:46 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 72848 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
Map rotation for it is still my biggest beef with it. And why I got bored with it so fast again with just the few maps that don't work for the few tanks I like on tier X. That and the reward system was not worth the overall effort by first glance. I say first, as I don't know what the token boxes contain. 

NUKLEAR_SLUG #6 Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:57 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34085 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
I still think everyone on the winning team should get a chevron, more for the top players if you like. People are less likely to just camp to survive or let a team mate die for fear of taking a hit if they know a win will grant them a chevron no matter whether they end up bottom 5.

cro001 #7 Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:15 PM

Major

• Player
  • 32771 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostBejer, on 24 May 2019 - 08:43 PM, said:

ban cw/reward tanks and the mode already improves by a good amount

That would sort itself with the ban system. 279/Chieftain would be no.1 banned tanks really quick.

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 24 May 2019 - 08:57 PM, said:

I still think everyone on the winning team should get a chevron, more for the top players if you like. People are less likely to just camp to survive or let a team mate die for fear of taking a hit if they know a win will grant them a chevron no matter whether they end up bottom 5.

I'm not biggest fan of chevron system, but having it neutral is better than making it "top heavy".

Bejer #8 Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:41 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 32682 battles
  • [OM] OM

The chevron system is stupid or to put it in a better way the xp distribution. Play something russian, you get xp for dmg dealt and blocked (talking about mediums). Every other medium, except 50M (havent played it, so cant confirm) just gets xp for dmg and upon first spotting. Why not extra xp for assist dmg? This system has so much room for improvement. In this hulldown bs meta, all the objects get bonus xp for literally just playing. Oh, and kills give way too much xp. Have seen guys with 3 kills and 1k dmg getting more xp than someone with 3k+ dmg and 0 kills. Kill stealing shouldnt be rewarded in my opinion.

tajj7 #9 Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:03 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28175 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Make it 10 v 10 I think would be a good change. 

I also think progression should be earned over multiple games, not just one so a loss is not as much of a problem. 

And WG could also identify the problematic tanks, maybe like you say through some sort of ban/vote system, but then like lesser tanks could earn more XP and better tanks earn less, so if you want to rank up in your 430U or T95, fair enough but you;ll have to do more than someone in an E50M or 430U to get the same level of XP, much like MOEs or masterys for example are harder in better tanks. 

EDIT: And yeh as the above guy said, kills get way too much XP. Kills are important but I am seeing people with like 1k even 1.5k less damage ahead of others just because of a couple of kills, which is just silly, doing one shot at the right time is not the same as doing like 3-4-5 etc. damaging shots. 

Edited by tajj7, 24 May 2019 - 11:05 PM.

ValkyrionX #10 Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:05 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 52516 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

View Posttajj7, on 24 May 2019 - 11:03 PM, said:

Make it 10 v 10 I think would be a good change. 

I also think progression should be earned over multiple games, not just one so a loss is not as much of a problem. 

And WG could also identify the problematic tanks, maybe like you say through some sort of ban/vote system, but then like lesser tanks could earn more XP and better tanks earn less, so if you want to rank up in your 430U or T95, fair enough but you;ll have to do more than someone in an E50M or 430U to get the same level of XP, much like MOEs or masterys for example are harder in better tanks. 

no

KillingJoker #11 Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:57 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39974 battles

funny enough, i struggled in the first 2 days playing with heavies and full gold... i would easily climb into stage 8 or 9

and then drop, and climb, and drop, too inconsistent, either i would push and lead assaults on the enemy team and take 1 or 2 points...

or push in the game, be killed because my team mates didnt support, or failed to support and do 3 shots and lose a point again..

In this process i lost of a lot silver as well, i had 26 million, after 2 days i had around 19 million, and this just playing ranked

today i decided to play the M48 patton, with AP only, and not only i managed to not lose significant credits, as i climbed till level 12... way more consistent for me as i don't feel obligation anymore to push, and the support role fits helps to not make so many mistakes

KanonenVogel19 #12 Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:15 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 390 battles

View Postcro001, on 24 May 2019 - 08:05 PM, said:

WG should adjust prizes for middle crowd(presumably silver) and decrease the rewards accordingly for bronze and increase for gold.

Players that complete the qualification receives a total of 250 gold.

Players that complete the first division receives a total of 2500 gold.

In other words, the players that manage to get into the first division get 10 times more gold than the players that only get into qualification.

And you want to reduce this even further? Yeah, if you want to have a repetition of previous seasons where mostly purple players are participating and the rest of the playerbase is doing something else you're on the right track. Personally I think the rewards right now are perfect. It's still attractive for all players to participate, and it still pays off to be good and make it to the top.

I hope you understand that everyone wants some gold, not only the upper crowd. You can't expect the lower crowd to work for free.

cro001 #13 Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:01 PM

Major

• Player
  • 32771 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostKanonenVogel19, on 25 May 2019 - 01:15 AM, said:

Players that complete the qualification receives a total of 250 gold.

Players that complete the first division receives a total of 2500 gold.

In other words, the players that manage to get into the first division get 10 times more gold than the players that only get into qualification.

And you want to reduce this even further? Yeah, if you want to have a repetition of previous seasons where mostly purple players are participating and the rest of the playerbase is doing something else you're on the right track. Personally I think the rewards right now are perfect. It's still attractive for all players to participate, and it still pays off to be good and make it to the top.

I hope you understand that everyone wants some gold, not only the upper crowd. You can't expect the lower crowd to work for free.

You misunderstood. I wanted exactly opposite. Ranked should be more about quality gameplay and not about prizes. That's why I said rewards should be adjusted 1st. As it becomes evident that some people won't get to gold with chevron neutral system(or any other system), WG should make even the bronze and silver prize pool worthy of competing for it and gold prizes appealing as well to go for it.

Long_Range_Sniper #14 Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:14 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 37418 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 24 May 2019 - 07:57 PM, said:

I've seen some really bad camping leading to a loss today. If they'd done it in randoms you'd think it was a 45% player. Checked the stats of a Progetto 65 and a 907 after the game when they basecamped on Highway and a 57% and 55% player.

They retained their chevron.......says it all.

ValkyrionX #15 Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:24 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 52516 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

honestly I can not understand the meaning of this season of ranked ..

I can not find a logical sense to have 4 divisions made up of 15 ranks, if then in a game I find myself opposing players or allies without even a rank or different divisions .. both superior and inferior to mine

so what's the point of the divisions if we play practically all together regardless of the rank we have? wtf?
it is assumed that if you level up you have to play with opponents with similar ranks or not much higher / lower than your own ..

it is not at all a good system, the previous season made more sense .. global rank, only 3 leagues and 15 rank plus those who earned after the fifteenth ..

for me it is a totally useless and wrong concept

NUKLEAR_SLUG #16 Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:27 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34085 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 25 May 2019 - 07:14 PM, said:

I've seen some really bad camping leading to a loss today. If they'd done it in randoms you'd think it was a 45% player. Checked the stats of a Progetto 65 and a 907 after the game when they basecamped on Highway and a 57% and 55% player.

Exactly, I've watched good players that would normally be the ones pushing the team to victory bolt for cover and refuse to move because they're so afraid of not getting their chevron.

I think simply ensuring everyone on the winning team gets a chevron with more for the highest contributors will do away with a lot of the negative play whilst still rewarding those that carry the team harder. Likewise the losing team should all lose a chevron, none of this best loser gets one because that encourages equally poor teamplay as players scrabble to be the last to die.

Simple rule. You win you get rewarded you lose you don't.

ValkyrionX #17 Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:28 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 52516 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 25 May 2019 - 07:14 PM, said:

as far as I have seen in the past season, and with a different rank system, the games were more compelling and above all with more team play and above all else you played with allies and opponents with rank similar to yours and not with players even without even one rank

this season, with this type of system has no logic ... just to allow even the worst players to have access to the ranked battles, I say this very frankly and without any hatred for those who play badly .. but I think it's a fact

Long_Range_Sniper #18 Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:01 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 37418 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 25 May 2019 - 06:27 PM, said:

Exactly, I've watched good players that would normally be the ones pushing the team to victory bolt for cover and refuse to move because they're so afraid of not getting their chevron.

I think simply ensuring everyone on the winning team gets a chevron with more for the highest contributors will do away with a lot of the negative play whilst still rewarding those that carry the team harder. Likewise the losing team should all lose a chevron, none of this best loser gets one because that encourages equally poor teamplay as players scrabble to be the last to die.

Simple rule. You win you get rewarded you lose you don't.

View PostValkyrionX, on 25 May 2019 - 06:28 PM, said:

as far as I have seen in the past season, and with a different rank system, the games were more compelling and above all with more team play and above all else you played with allies and opponents with rank similar to yours and not with players even without even one rank

this season, with this type of system has no logic ... just to allow even the worst players to have access to the ranked battles, I say this very frankly and without any hatred for those who play badly .. but I think it's a fact

Just had a game on Westfield, so I scout mid in a T-100-LT as the enemy have two EBR's who'll take the K0 corner (which they do). Nothing is spotted mid, so I push under the ridge, only to run smack into a Skoda and 907 both camping and I get clipped out. Rage PM after the game from a bad player with 46k games who then tells me he'll log onto his "main account" and show me his stats when I have the temerity to question his advice.

If there was a rising tide in ranked then I've missed it and at the moment I'm slogging through the mudflats. 

ValkyrionX #19 Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:13 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 52516 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 25 May 2019 - 09:01 PM, said:

Just had a game on Westfield, so I scout mid in a T-100-LT as the enemy have two EBR's who'll take the K0 corner (which they do). Nothing is spotted mid, so I push under the ridge, only to run smack into a Skoda and 907 both camping and I get clipped out. Rage PM after the game from a bad player with 46k games who then tells me he'll log onto his "main account" and show me his stats when I have the temerity to question his advice.

If there was a rising tide in ranked then I've missed it and at the moment I'm slogging through the mudflats. 

yet another proof that the current rank system is terrible and that the gameplay is practically extreme camping and no skills are required to progress in the different divisions/rank .. but only to have luck of a wr above the 50% .. obviously in this case the influence of the team is greater than the simple random battles about the winrate

edit ..

obviously the toxicity of the players is multiplied by the stress due to the mode

Edited by ValkyrionX, 25 May 2019 - 09:13 PM.

KanonenVogel19 #20 Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:22 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 390 battles

View Postcro001, on 25 May 2019 - 07:01 PM, said:

Ranked should be more about quality gameplay and not about prizes.

The prizes are very important though. I wouldn't participate in ranked battles if there was no decent amount of gold to be earned.

View Postcro001, on 25 May 2019 - 07:01 PM, said:

That's why I said rewards should be adjusted 1st. As it becomes evident that some people won't get to gold with chevron neutral system(or any other system), WG should make even the bronze and silver prize pool worthy of competing for it and gold prizes appealing as well to go for it.

From what I understood you want to remove the current reward system based on how far a player can get in the divisions, and replace it with the old system we had before where players got rewards based on what league they ended up in. That's the part that I don't like. All players that manage to get into division 1 should get the same amount of gold. The rewards for what league a player ends up in should just be something cosmetic, just like it's right now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users