Low performance low fps

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Geoffrey_Ironfist #1 Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:13 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 27974 battles
  • [YBB] YBB

I would be grateful for any ideas on what to check. My game was running well for nearly a year until update 1.5. After that I had a weird looking garage, low res and low fps (1-3 fps), that I partially fixed after I realised that my nvidia geforce GTX 850M graphics card had become mysteriously disabled and I re-enabled it. Then I took a break from playing for about 10 days and when I returned yesterday framerate was back down to 1-3 fps (previously it was normally in the range of 25-65 fps at max graphical settings depending on what else is running).

I have made a clean reinstall of WoT. I have also rolled back my system to the 14th of May when frame rate was back up to 25-65 fps. Unfortunately, the low fps problem remains. Also my garage panels look a bit weird since v.1.5, maybe something related to my problem. The screen resolution is at max, as it always was but in-game I cannot increase it to the recommended setting (1920 x 1080) in the windowed mode - strange. I have about 150 Gbyte free space on my laptop. Windows 8 OS. I have an external cooling fan, and the laptop does not seem to run hot (I checked it, 50 deg C all cores). I checked that it is using the nvidia card - and it is enabled. It has the most up-to-date driver. My other games run as usual. Strangely, switching display preference from max performance to max quality does not seem to make any difference, but this may be just due to the extremely low performance. I attach a screenshot, in case you can confirm that the garage layout seems a bit weird as well. The crew and specs panels on the side seem to have become bigger and the vehicle panel at the bottom to have become compressed with perhaps bigger font or something. If that is indeed unusual, can anyone diagnose anything when combined with the low fps?

EDIT: Checked DirectX 11 and there were no problems found except a couple of times I got an error when running FRAPS: failed to initialize DirectX 9 - although my computer is running DirectX 11. Maybe that has something to do with it? Any ideas?

Attached Files

• Attached File   WorldOfTanks 2019-05-25 10-47-06-23.jpg   240.86K

Edited by Geoffrey_Ironfist, 25 May 2019 - 02:50 PM.

SuedKAT #2 Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:42 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Been a lot of sound related issues, mainly with Realtek drivers being out of date, however lets start with this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4028644/windows-open-and-run-dxdiagexe

Then attach that here so we can see what's under the hood so to speak.

Geoffrey_Ironfist #3 Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:10 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 27974 battles
  • [YBB] YBB
Thanks. I have already run dxdiag while troubleshooting on my own, nothing was found. I can re-run it, and copy-paste anything you think might be informative.

Attached Files

• Attached File   DxDiag.txt   93.72K

Edited by Geoffrey_Ironfist, 25 May 2019 - 05:15 PM.

SuedKAT #4 Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:16 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Run it and save it as a text and then attach it here, it have loads of info in it about your system and driver versions etc which is easiest to rule out as causes before doing anything else.

Geoffrey_Ironfist #5 Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:34 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 27974 battles
  • [YBB] YBB
Done it, see above. Hope it helps somehow.

SuedKAT #6 Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:46 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
To start with what exact model of HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC is it, noticed that it was a model they've just slapped a couple of letters and numbers after and made loads of versions of, then there are a couple of things that instantly stand out, you are for example using (depending on the exact model) most likely quite an old BIOS version and drivers that haven't been updated in quite a while. 

Geoffrey_Ironfist #7 Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:11 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 27974 battles
  • [YBB] YBB
Many thanks for looking into all that. The laptop is a 5-year old model. Not sure what to do about checking the Bios and drivers but at least the graphics driver is up-to-date and as I said all was working very well until update 1.5.

SuedKAT #8 Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:29 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

The thing is, the HP ENVY 15-k061no for example is quite different from lets say the HP ENVY 15-3033cl so check the labels on the computer if there say something about that, might be a label underneath for example.

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
Driver Date: 4/11/2017 11:53:34

Latest drivers for that card is from 09/05/2019 however HP might have made their own version of that card and put that into the machine so when you use the official drivers it say that it's not supported, in that case you need to modify the drivers themselves to get them to work which is rather fiddly.

Your are also for example using Realtek audio drivers from 2014 which I'm amazed haven't meant that you've been crashing a lot even before 1.5.

Knowing the exact model of the laptop mean you can go to the support page for that specific laptop on HP's site and download all the updated drivers they supply as well as most likely update BIOS. After that's done there are also the sites related to the drivers themselves, Intel and Realtek for example release new drivers quite often and the ones listed on HP's support site is most likely newer than the ones you got, but still rather old.

Edited by SuedKAT, 25 May 2019 - 07:30 PM.

Geoffrey_Ironfist #9 Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:56 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 27974 battles
  • [YBB] YBB

Thanks again for your feedback. I have not been crashing at all, I just have low fps in this specific game (WoT) and just recently. I checked the model on the HP website, it is HP ENVY 15-k071ng Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR). Most driver updates are from 2014, including the Realtek driver. I think I had updated almost everything a little after 2014.

There is an intel processor bios driver update from 2018. I am uneasy about messing around with the bios but if you think I can restore the system to a previous date, I can try that.

My audio as such seems fine, at least under normal use. Sometimes the sound breaks up when games are loading a lot of files, including audio files. Do you think the audio may be slowing the framerate? If so, I would need to search for an update on the Realtek site.

EDIT: I could not find a later update on that audio card driver, latest update seems to be from 2014.

Edited by Geoffrey_Ironfist, 25 May 2019 - 09:11 PM.

SuedKAT #10 Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:33 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Understandable that you don't want to mess around with BIOS updates, it can after all end badly so lets leave that as a last resort.

Start by going here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-15-k000-notebook-pc/6936206/model/7485676

Compare the drivers there to the ones you got, if you don't find anything to compare to download it and try and install it, normally you'll get a warning that you're about to install a driver that's older than the one you got if you're trying to install a version previous to the one you already got.

Then go here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

You'll be able to download and install a "driver updater" for Intel related stuff, after installation you'll find an icon down in your notification center in the shape of a blue circle with a spanner/wrench in it, if you right click on that and select "Check for new drivers" it will most likely find a couple of Intel drivers that are out of date on your system which HP don't provide on their support page for your laptop.

Then since it's a somewhat older laptop I'd utilize a driver updater that I've used in the past to save you some trouble:

https://sdi-tool.org/download/

If you download the lite version and unpack that you'll get a file named "SDI_x64_R1904.exe" which is the 64bit version of the tool, open that and when the initial pop-up appears select "download indexes only", then change the ugly grass theme to dark so you can actually look at the tool, now you'll have a window that looks like this:

You'll most likely see a bunch of drivers that it have found that are newer than the ones you got, either create a restore point via the tool and select, download and install the drivers via the tool or just use it as a pointer to what drivers you're lacking. Also keep in mind that even if you can install multiple drivers at one time I would recommend to limit it to a few at the time and restarting your computer between, of course this depends a bit on what the driver is related to like if it's the chipset drivers or the USB hub, the first a bit more critical than the last.

Now you should have the newest available drivers, the only exception will most likely be your Nvidia drivers which I suspect are not supported due to it most likely being an OEM branded GPU which means that we might need to add your HP card as a supported card so the driver install as it should. Was ages ago since I did that but if I'm not mistaken you add the "code" so to speak for your card in the nv_dispi.inf file and then it won't complain that the driver ain't supported just since it's an HP branded card.

Edit: Here is links which describes how to mod the Nvidia drivers to work with an OEM card:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-inf-driver-modding-guide.377158/

https://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/8128-what-is-a-modded-inf-what-is-the-performance-and-quality-inf/

Edited by SuedKAT, 26 May 2019 - 06:20 AM.

Geoffrey_Ironfist #11 Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:03 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 27974 battles
  • [YBB] YBB
Many thanks for all that amazing feedback. I did install a bunch of drivers I was recommended when I entered my serial code in the HP website yesterday. I also installed the latest nvidia driver from 9.5.2019 from the invidia website. There was only a small improvement but I played on minimum graphics for a few hours at around 15 fps. Bizarrely, without even rebooting this morning, my framerate had jumped back to what it was, around 160 fps with minimum graphics or around 50-60 fps on high/maximum graphics. As far as I could tell nothing changed between the two, I did not install any updates, I did not even touch my computer or any cables, etc. No idea what happened.

SuedKAT #12 Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:24 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Lets not touch the cables or anything at all then and hope things remain that way :)

Hopefully it's fixed for ya then and if you'll ever get issues again there are some options above which might be the solution, otherwise feel free to post again!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users