grinding

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Mashine_Gun_Dax #1 Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:22 AM

Private

• Player
  • 2329 battles
  • [ATILA] ATILA
So yeah, I am one of average players in this game, I have 3k games played and I reached highest tier 8 with my 47% wins, so I tried many different tactics like watching videos on youtube or making tactics but nothing worked for me, in the end I even asked some players with much higher win rate than me, and they were either not responding or like "Hell no, I'm not playing with that much worse player than me... What should I do next? Can anyone help me, I love this game and I want to get better in it...

friedeggnchips #2 Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:29 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 2572 battles
  • [BRIT6] BRIT6

View PostMashine_Gun_Dax, on 25 May 2019 - 11:22 PM, said:

So yeah, I am one of average players in this game, I have 3k games played and I reached highest tier 8 with my 47% wins, so I tried many different tactics like watching videos on youtube or making tactics but nothing worked for me, in the end I even asked some players with much higher win rate than me, and they were either not responding or like "Hell no, I'm not playing with that much worse player than me... What should I do next? Can anyone help me, I love this game and I want to get better in it...

I was in the same sort of problem as you. I'm getting better everyday it seems (Have relaxed this week, mind you). I think it's more about learning the tank than anything else. Which tier VIII is it?

Stevies_Team #3 Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:59 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12452 battles

Develop your own tactics, learn your tanks, develop their crew skills

Watch others who play well

A decent Tier 8 premium tank with a premium account means you make credits even when things go badly

There are good team players about but don't expect too much from your team mates unless they prove different, some would let their own mothers die before they'd risk themselves and a negative impact on their stats

Others will team shoot you

Ignore them all

Stay away from tier 9 and 10 until later

Things get  "easier" after 5000+ battles because you have more experience, you will also start to comprehend the game mechanics better, which are a bit weird at times

Lower tiers are more fun, terrier tanks

Get a selection of different tanks, fast ones, big gun ones etc, and a couple of arty, then depending on your mood you can play different stuff

It's a clever game and it's fun, takes a lot of time and effort though

Running with a pack and watching and supporting more aggressive players is usually the easiest learning route

As your crews skills improve your tank does too, quite significantly in some cases, especially the gun handling

GL

Edited by If_I_Die_You_Die_Too, 26 May 2019 - 01:10 AM.

Robbie_T #4 Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:56 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20141 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View PostMashine_Gun_Dax, on 26 May 2019 - 12:22 AM, said:

Got some tips for ya.

-grind ya crew! a good crew makes a big difference.

-learn to watch your minimap 

-Learn your tanks and maps (especially tier 8 and above play time is over you gonna play with the bigboys now)

- get in to a clan with TS or Discord sometimes  even listening to conversations between them you can learn something.

It also helps for example : You play tier 5 and you cant pen the Kv 220-2  and you say that in your  discord group the more experienced players will tell you dont shoot the hull shoot the turret.

Sometimes not even to help you but to be a smart*ss

+if you in a clan people tend to platoon up with ya....i rarely platoon with a stranger for more than 1 game.

SnowRelic #5 Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:58 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23954 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

First off, there's quite a lot of video material from where people can learn the basics. Looking at video's is great, they can go into quite a lot of detail, but it does not replace actual experience.

I've helped multiple players getting grips with the game; in essence it's pretty easy... WASD, move mouse and click, right? But which key to at which moment and why isn't answered that easy at all. Thing is, for me, I don't have much time and energy to play a lot, let alone take a lot of time to explain the basics. Right now I'm wondering if the forumites channel for platooning is still up. I don't think people are elitist there. Alternatively there are still quite a lot of clans still recruiting. Just don't ever join the first one that asks. Make sure they can help you along.

The important thing you getting better: (1) realize you'll need to learn quite a lot. The maps, the vehicles and then the situations. (2) make sure you don't needlessly throw away your hit points. You want to cling on to them for your dear live. Try to survive, don't yolo suicide(*). You pushed too far? Got shot by some redline sniper? Well then you just learned where you went to far. (3) make sure you're close to the action, you don't want to miss out. (4) it's game. Getting good is nice and all, don't let a chase for statistics drain out all the fun. (5) It's not a race to tier 10. Telling any random stranger you got a tier 10 will not impress them much. Build up some good crews, never, and I mean never use your free XP's to finish off a grind a bit faster. Save them up so you can use them on modules. A part of your 47% winrate will be due to the amounts of games played grinding stock tanks with terrible crews.

(*) Yes. That is a case of do as I tell, not do as I do.

Anyway, good luck and have fun!

7thSyndicate #6 Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:53 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 46932 battles
watch a good streamer

susika #7 Posted 26 May 2019 - 04:00 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17662 battles
  • [OTZ-] OTZ-
Install xvm and follow the best player on your side with a tank has a similar role to yours. 

demon_tank #8 Posted 26 May 2019 - 04:29 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26785 battles
  • [RED_S] RED_S

Before everything make sure you re getting 45-60 fps and you have a decent mouse with relatively low dpi.

Then study tactics , videos , streamers. Everything will come with time & experience. Be patient.

Edited by demon_tank, 26 May 2019 - 04:30 AM.

Bracciano_gatto #9 Posted 26 May 2019 - 05:43 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2916 battles

a couple of tips maybe:

The faster you rush the faster you die.

This rule is true for everyone except maybe bluenicoms and up. Your survival rate is 26%, you need to slow down.

Rushing ahead to meet the reds is cool but, finding out your team is way behind, or worse you are alone,

just mean you'll be the first one to die, and that ain't very helpful or fun.

You play Germans. Big mistake for a newbie.

The Big Bad Boys with the Tiger and all ... I did that mistake as many others did ..

They are cool and all but pause them for a bit and go play Russians or Americans; they are overall more forgiving for a new player.

Both of those nations have very good tanks at those tiers and they are overall easier to play than other nations.

Go back to tier 5 or 6 for 2 main reasons.

It is where all the components of the game start to fall into place (armor, pen, view range, etc...)

AND you can still make mistakes in lower tiers and still survive it.

By the time you leave tier 6, your crews should have 3 + skills/perks; less than that will just make your life harder, much much harder.

You are in a clan.

If no one in that clan can actually help you, drop'em and go find some helpful ones out there. There are a lot of them.

As mentionned above.

The tube can be very helpful.

When your tank blows up, stick around, watch and learn.

Get XVM and follow a green or maybe blue tank to see what they do, that will be very helpful.

WoT requires time and patience.

Not an easy game by any standard.

Good luck out there.

Edited by Bracciano_gatto, 26 May 2019 - 04:03 PM.

Jigabachi #10 Posted 26 May 2019 - 05:49 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Learning and improving takes time, don't rush it. Fall back a few tiers and just practice, practice, practice. YouTube and the web are full of tutorials and tactics, find the ones that suit you best.

zsplintersz #11 Posted 26 May 2019 - 06:10 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2026 battles

Several good tips and tricks for you in this topic.

Ok lets make this as easy a s possible:

Every good player looks only at Winrate. Not at WN8 or whatever. That is for average players.

Here you go;

Learn the basics. What is your spotting range. When will they see you and when will they see you when you shoot.

Only play Russian tanks!

Best is only play Russian medium tanks!

Buy when something is cheap. Invest everything in getting you crew better. Ignore missions ignore marketing tricks etc. Just play for fun.

If you feel F, you may be F. Logoff and try another day. Dont accept a shitty gameplay day. You should know within 3 games how the rest would go.

You just are here only to have fun?

OK here you go;

Decide only which Russian tank you wanna have and only go for that tank. Ignore everything else. Get the crew better and play it once in a while. Nothing else. Most of the people here are not playing for fun and get F.

Balc0ra #12 Posted 26 May 2019 - 06:34 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 72848 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostMashine_Gun_Dax, on 26 May 2019 - 12:22 AM, said:

Well ask yourself this. Why do you think you struggle at tier 8? What mistakes do you do when you die or lose a game? Is it because you can't pen your targets? Map mistakes? Do you get too eager and push alone? Or do you wait for too long before you start to do damage? As if you can figure that part out. You know what you need help with, and thus you can turn it around faster. 

Most of those issues can be fixed by going down a few tiers again vs trying to get tier 8 to work. And find tanks you like on tier 4 to 6 and are good with, and just explore, learn and take notes of your mistakes there. As mid tiers can be more forgiving on that aspect vs higher up.

Edited by Balc0ra, 26 May 2019 - 06:35 AM.

KillingJoker #13 Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:04 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39974 battles

you already gave the first step to be  a decent player, by wanting to learn the game...

there is no instruction manual for playing the game, its all about understanding how every class works, how every specific tank is meant to work, its strong points, its weaknesses and quirks, then you have maps, every map have its meta, and its logic, if you full understand this stuff, then you can start playing and even being creative. 

people usually follow traits, most average/good players just follow patterns, they watch streamers and kinda learn from them how to behave, specially in early battle scenariums, yet, the very best players from what i have seen, can take completely different ways of playing the game, doing stuff no one thought about it, and get away with it... as they seem to have an extra perception of everything.

Wot is an extremely competitive game and logically most will not be good with it, that's why ratings and statistics are all about player 2 player direct comparison. 

NUKLEAR_SLUG #14 Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:07 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34085 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
Post up a replay or two and people can give you some feedback of what you did well, what you could do better.

TheDrownedApe #15 Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:24 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 49553 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

I was @800 Wn8 and 50% WR after 5k games.

Best thing i did was find this forum and start to read and get confused about various game mechanics which led me to learning the game. Then i joined a clan where i was at the bottom skill wise and stayed there until such time i felt they had taught me all they could so i moved on.

I have never watched a WoT video either (in my 40s so YT and Twitch were never on my list really)

burbage1 #16 Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:44 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 994 battles

Survive the first 5 minutes. Playing against 7 enemy is a lot easier than playing against fifteen. By then you should have an idea of where the enemy are too. To do this, get behind hard over and take opportunity shots, but don't go looking for shots. As soon as you shoot get back behind cover. If you are in anything other than a heavy, learn the Art of Not Being Seen.

After the first five minutes, all the idiots on your team will be dead. Stay with the group. Don't go off on your own unless you're a scout or going back to decap. Learn to recognise the tanks on your side that can do the spotting. Stay behind them and use their eyes. If you do not have view range and you go to the front, invisible tanks will frag you. 

When your team has a clear advantage on a flank, advance. Winning one of the flanks, or sometimes the middle, will generally win the game.

PowJay #17 Posted 26 May 2019 - 09:03 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 39864 battles

View PostIf_I_Die_You_Die_Too, on 25 May 2019 - 11:59 PM, said:

Develop your own tactics, learn your tanks, develop their crew skills

Watch others who play well

A decent Tier 8 premium tank with a premium account means you make credits even when things go badly

There are good team players about but don't expect too much from your team mates unless they prove different, some would let their own mothers die before they'd risk themselves and a negative impact on their stats

Others will team shoot you

Ignore them all

Stay away from tier 9 and 10 until later

Things get  "easier" after 5000+ battles because you have more experience, you will also start to comprehend the game mechanics better, which are a bit weird at times

Lower tiers are more fun, terrier tanks

Get a selection of different tanks, fast ones, big gun ones etc, and a couple of arty, then depending on your mood you can play different stuff

It's a clever game and it's fun, takes a lot of time and effort though

Running with a pack and watching and supporting more aggressive players is usually the easiest learning route

As your crews skills improve your tank does too, quite significantly in some cases, especially the gun handling

GL

He is asking how to get better. Please go away with your pointless advice.

Hi, OP, and welcome to the forums.

The first thing I have to say is STOP. You have just over 2,000 battles and you are at tier VIII, in the Tiger II, which is widely considered to be one of the worst tanks in the game- at least by tier and type.

To know what to do with this game, the learning starts even before you press "Battle". Rushing tiers is a common mistake. I believe that many think they will get more powerful tanks and rule the battlefield. Remember: the enemy has them too!

There are a lot of things to appreciate in this game and, it seems, many players fail to recognise that the game mechanics are extremely complex, before we add in the variations of maps, tanks, and team make-up. Rushing up the tiers means that you will sooner face vastly more experienced players with tens of thousands of battles. They will not have mercy on a newbie.

I am not going to go into the ins and outs of your stats, because you don't need me to. You know you are struggling. I will just highlight why in a general sense...

To win more consistently in this game, you have to do more damage and make more kills than you do. Duh! No-brainer, right? But what does this mean? Each team has 15 vehicles, and a fairly well balanced total HP dependent on tier. If you are in a 1,000 HP tank and you can take 1,000 HP off enemy vehicles, then you have carried your weight. The problem is that your 500 HP ally died without doing any damage. Now the team has to carry his weight as well. If you do that 500 HP damage on top of your own, you are on the road to winning. Your other ally with a 1,000 HP tank has done 2,000, but your 500 HP extra is still extremely important.

Only by consistently doing more damage than the vehicle HP can we win more often. TDs and SPGs can do more than their own HP quite easily, but then there are LTs who will only spot and may not fire a single shot if they don't need to. It all balances out and if those that shoot do so effectively thanks to spotting, the team should do well.

Then there is the question of early damage, late damage, and survival. Doing early damage against a weak enemy, but dying in a hail of shells does not win battles because the two great players on the enemy team are still alive and will kill your team. Late damage comes when you have camped at the back, and shoot the storm of enemy vehicle advancing to your base in a lost battle. Living longer and doing damage at the right time, and to the right vehicles is what provides a greater chance of a win. Which is the right time and which is the right vehicle may not be something that you can learn, but over time you will appreciate which vehicles you might be able to damage- or not- and which vehicles you should prioritise. e.g. you can try and hassle that Type 5 Heavy in your tier VIII light tank, but the chances are that he will ignore you. Meanwhile, their artillery is alone and undefended. Go and kill them!

Nothing is concrete, and I am far from being good enough to know what to do in every battle. I just try!

As for pre-battle. There are many things you can do to improve your chances. Slow down your grinding. There is no end-game. By playing lower tiers that you enjoy you can build up Free Experience for NOTHING. You can use this to upgrade new vehicles before you even go into battle and improve your chances of winning.

Crew skills are vital. The first one or two- especially Sixth Sense and Recon/Situational Awareness, Repairs and Concealment, Snap Shot and Smooth Ride- can make a HUGE difference to how your vehicle plays in battle. If you rush the tiers, moving crews on with Silver (or WORSE, NOT paying) then you are reaching tier VIII with woefully inadequate crew skill.

If you slow your grinding and play mid-tiers, you can also build up credits. If you have credits then you can afford Premium ammo for at least a few rounds per battle. When you know when to use it, you will use it more effectively- you don't need to spam it- and although you might lose a few more credits, you'd probably lose that in a lost battle.

The two things that you could probably do with really brushing up on are spotting and camouflage mechanics, and shells, armour and penetration. Learn some general weakspots like machine gun ports, vision slots, cupolas, and any point with weaker armour- especially the rear, sides and, quite often, the lower front plate (LFP). The LFP is the lower portion of the front of the tank. It is often very easy to penetrate relative to the upper armour. You should still never try to take on higher tiers from the front, though- at least not when spotted!

Also, learn more about your tanks, and the enemy tanks, before you play. And try to remember what you experience. I have played over 300 tanks. Some I have done badly in, but it does at least help me to appreciate what they are like when I face them. Some are much weaker than you think once you know what to consider. Knowing reload times might tell you that you can rush in and get two shots into an enemy while he is reloading, for example. You just have to appreciate which gun he has mounted. Some can give you a nasty shock if they have a different gun to the one you are most familiar with.

Don't be afraid to ASK for help. I have no tolerance for whiners whatsoever, but the majority of forumites are happy to help those that come here and ask- not whine. Quite a few will come along in a little while and will offer much more positive advice, but mine is a good start, even if I do say so myself. :teethhappy:

vasilinhorulezz #18 Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:41 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27921 battles
Go back to tier 5 and unlock the V-1, this tank will teach you the basics (angling, side-scrapping). The best tank for new players. When you feel ready, move up the tiers, slowly up to the IS7, very newbie friendly tank line. Learn the maps and the tactics. Tank class locations, common camping spots, map tactics, areas crucial to fight for, and so on. Watch tank specific videos, Skill4ltu has some tank line review videos, and a lot of other streamers do reviews.

mpf1959 #19 Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:55 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28309 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

My advice as a below average player, (orange on xvm) is don't worry about it. It don't hurt to try and improve you're performance, but it is also helpfull to remember that some of us are never going to be great, that is just a fact of life.

But, nil desperandum, you can set yourself small goals, and concentrate on ways to enjoy the game, after all what is a game if all it brings you is stress? In that case you may as well pack it in! Unless you enjoy stress of course.

Mashine_Gun_Dax #20 Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:52 AM

Private

• Player
  • 2329 battles
  • [ATILA] ATILA
I'm playing Tiger ll for no reason, not because a big Tiger thing... Grinding is probably my biggest problem I need 40.000 xp for E 75 and I'm playing with idiotic teams, today I played like 20 games and in 7 or 8 I lost like 15-2, 15-3... I don't know what is going on with matchmaking but probably my 15% of all losses was with that result, Wargaming just not improving anything...

Also tagged with grinding

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users