CPU package tempreature high

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

adamsubhi #1 Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:16 PM

Private

• Player
  • 22332 battles
  • [-BIH-] -BIH-

please, i need help my package tempreature is so high when playing wot,like 65-70 celius only,i cant play i smelled a strange smell i think from overheating,my GPU everytime when playing was pretty good no fps dropes,or freezes,its just the cpu, so hot i have 3fans 1 for the cpu and other the main one,and i have other one which is far from cpu and motherboard.

i think the problem my cooling system isn't  sufficient.

please help should i buy CPU cooler system, or extra fans and place them, close to cpu and yeah its a 3months pc which is new o_0 ?

pc specs:

CPU:coffe lake intel core 5 8400 ,6cores

GPU:GTX 1060 gigabyte g1 gaming 3gb

PC case: thermaltake j21 versa

8ram 

Edited by adamsubhi, 27 May 2019 - 09:08 AM.

Dead_in_30_seconds #2 Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:42 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4828 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Try this mate, see where your heat's coming from.

https://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Regards

DiTS

Shelinka #3 Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:44 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 22208 battles
  • [LAMOS] LAMOS

*cough cough* these temperatures are nowhere near your CPU's thermal limits, even if you are using the default intel cooler that came with your cpu it shouldn't be an issue

Try to open the case and find where's the smell coming from.

Does it only smell when you play games?

Dead_in_30_seconds #4 Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4828 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostShelinka, on 26 May 2019 - 11:44 AM, said:

*cough cough* these temperatures are nowhere near your CPU's thermal limits, even if you are using the default intel cooler that came with your cpu it shouldn't be an issue

Try to open the case and find where's the smell coming from.

Does it only smell when you play games?

Good call Shelinka, 65-70C is actually pretty low for a CPU 'in-game'.

Still recommend the above link tho', just to be sure.

PSU's will often smell if/when a capacitor is about to give up, especially if the fan has seized, or it's full of dust.

Open the case, vac it out, check the temps reported by the temp monitor, inspect the cabling to make sure they're not sitting on the heatsink etc.

Failing that, send me your PC, I'll send you twenty quid, you buy another PC. (Joking) :)

adamsubhi #5 Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:48 PM

Private

• Player
  • 22332 battles
  • [-BIH-] -BIH-

yeah only when playing the game only my pc starts to heat the last recent tempreature was 76c and u know,guys if i keep playing,i will damage the cpu 

i have extreme tuning utility,it says package tempreature,which is cpu tempreature.

Edited by adamsubhi, 26 May 2019 - 02:57 PM.

SuedKAT #6 Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:30 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

60-70 degrees are pretty normal load temperatures which I would not be concerned about apart from if the system normally didn't perform at those temperatures. However I would be concerned if things started smelling weirdly which most of the time are related to a lot of dust buildup in the computer or a bad PSU which is about to fail something I would replace asap.

adamsubhi #7 Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:51 PM

Private

• Player
  • 22332 battles
  • [-BIH-] -BIH-

View PostSuedKAT, on 26 May 2019 - 02:30 PM, said:

60-70 degrees are pretty normal load temperatures which I would not be concerned about apart from if the system normally didn't perform at those temperatures. However I would be concerned if things started smelling weirdly which most of the time are related to a lot of dust buildup in the computer or a bad PSU which is about to fail something I would replace asap.

how about buying 2fans?it would cooldown or a cpu cooler?

Panocek #8 Posted 26 May 2019 - 04:01 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29061 battles

View Postadamsubhi, on 26 May 2019 - 04:51 PM, said:

how about buying 2fans?it would cooldown or a cpu cooler?

Dust also can have large impact on temperatures, so I'd start with can of compressed air and brush to get most of dust bunnies out

With that out of the way, if case ventilation leaves something to be desired, then sorting that out first might improve temps just enough. Minimum viable fan configuration is one intake, one exhaust, former usually on the front and low, latter high and on the rear, typically just under power supply. 

If you have case fans already and they are working, you might need aftermarket cpu cooler if you're concerned with core temps. If my memory serves me right, Cooler Master Hyper 212 fits into "cheap and good".

some food for thought for case ventilation:

adamsubhi #9 Posted 26 May 2019 - 04:03 PM

Private

• Player
  • 22332 battles
  • [-BIH-] -BIH-

View PostPanocek, on 26 May 2019 - 03:01 PM, said:

Dust also can have large impact on temperatures, so I'd start with can of compressed air and brush to get most of dust bunnies out

With that out of the way, if case ventilation leaves something to be desired, then sorting that out first might improve temps just enough. Minimum viable fan configuration is one intake, one exhaust, former usually on the front and low, latter high and on the rear, typically just under power supply. 

If you have case fans already and they are working, you might need aftermarket cpu cooler if you're concerned with core temps. If my memory serves me right, Cooler Master Hyper 212 fits into "cheap and good".

some food for thought for case ventilation:

thanks mate

Panocek #10 Posted 26 May 2019 - 04:14 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29061 battles

View Postadamsubhi, on 26 May 2019 - 05:03 PM, said:

thanks mate

Keep in mind even the best cooler in the world won't do much if there is no way of extracting hot air out of the computer case:P

Now mentioning that, be mindful of computer placement - hidden deep into desk with few, if any holes to move air around, even perfect cooler and perfect case airflow will struggle with that.

adamsubhi #11 Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:17 PM

Private

• Player
  • 22332 battles
  • [-BIH-] -BIH-

View PostPanocek, on 26 May 2019 - 03:14 PM, said:

Keep in mind even the best cooler in the world won't do much if there is no way of extracting hot air out of the computer case:P

Now mentioning that, be mindful of computer placement - hidden deep into desk with few, if any holes to move air around, even perfect cooler and perfect case airflow will struggle with that.

now iam stuck between air cooling,and water cooling i dont have money for water :(

is air cooling ok?

Panocek #12 Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:15 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29061 battles

View Postadamsubhi, on 26 May 2019 - 08:17 PM, said:

now iam stuck between air cooling,and water cooling i dont have money for water :(

is air cooling ok?

"65-70" degrees C is perfectly normal temperature for Intel CPU running on stock cooler under load. i5 8400 you can't overclock, so if you're still concerned I'd start with replacing thermal paste with quality one, Arctic MX 2/4 are both affordable and effective. If that doesn't solve your "overheating" issue, any semi decent cooler should more than adequate to keep that piece of silicon nice and cool.

For "smell", you can look for leaking or bulging out capacitors on both motherboard and in power supply, though your rig should be too new for that.

What to look for:

Spoiler

Water cooling, either in shape of all-in-one or custom loops are basically expensive gimmicks UNLESS you have extraordinary hardware to cool AND you need to make it quiet. Or you have too much monies in the pocket and you want some DIY. 

I own custom water cooling loop for CPU and that thing was justified on old it 2500k, which I've overclocked considerably and that was hot piece of hardware before adding 1.5GHz extra. Building it was fun, but in the long run its considerable and expensive hassle and adds one critical point of failure - pump. If fan fails, CPU will be able to get by on passive cooling for a while. If pump dies and flow stops, temperature rise FAST.

I see your case, it should be more than adept for airflow. And assuming it has dust filters behind front panel, you can kill two birds with one stone:

-sort airflow

-fix issue of dust buildup inside

Basically put one fan (12cm if Tt website is to be trusted) on the rear as exhaust and two-three 12cm fans at the front as intake to "overpressurize" case. That way excess of the air will leave case by any slots, crevices, holes and whatnot preventing dust entering, assuming filtered intake.

Edited by Panocek, 26 May 2019 - 08:18 PM.

SuedKAT #13 Posted 26 May 2019 - 09:17 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostPanocek, on 26 May 2019 - 08:15 PM, said:

I'd start with replacing thermal paste with quality one, Arctic MX 2/4 are both affordable and effective

Even though everything else is solid advice I want to touch on this especially since good thermal paste can do so much, as an example I replaced the factory paste on 2 laptops just a month ago and saw a drop in temps under load at around 5-10 degrees, which is quite a significant change for just removing some screws and putting some new paste on (not to mention the fact that the fans are almost never loud enough to be noticeable now except when gaming and then I use a headset anyhow). I've never used the paste or pads that come with coolers so not much to compare with there, but I would not be surprised if similar results are achievable. Personally though I go with Artic Silver 5 as well as combine that with the Artic Clean cleaning kit, but that's more due to getting that for free from work rather than Artic Silver being superior/inferior to Artic MX 2/4.

Panocek #14 Posted 26 May 2019 - 09:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29061 battles

View PostSuedKAT, on 26 May 2019 - 10:17 PM, said:

Artic Clean cleaning kit

before OP asks - you don't need "dedicated" cleaning stuff, isopropyl alcohol, or even clear vodka in emergency works just fine for cleaning and degreasing contact surfaces.

SuedKAT #15 Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:18 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostPanocek, on 26 May 2019 - 09:43 PM, said:

before OP asks - you don't need "dedicated" cleaning stuff, isopropyl alcohol, or even clear vodka in emergency works just fine for cleaning and degreasing contact surfaces.

True, I find that the dedicated stuff dissolve it faster though but the end result is the same.

Zmago5000 #16 Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:32 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10911 battles
Come back when your Temps reach 95 deg. C,...70 is below  normal

Shelinka #17 Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:51 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 22208 battles
  • [LAMOS] LAMOS

I'm kinda still waiting for OP to answer the main question for us, where is the smell coming from.

As he said, his PC is 3 months old. Unless he lives in an extremely dusty place there's no way enough dust accumulated in his case after 3 months.

So you guys are pretty much trying to fix something that ain't broken. 

He needs to open the same and use his nose, at this time I'm almost certain one of the caps is leaking, no fan yet alone water cooling will help with that.

adamsubhi #18 Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:55 AM

Private

• Player
  • 22332 battles
  • [-BIH-] -BIH-
alright i bought 

Corsair Hydro Series™ H75 2018 Liquid CPU cooler

and thermal paste arctic mx-4 

and 2fans arctic bionix f120 red 120mm,

what u say guys?

it will help me?to solve this 

and yeah,i was playing with stock fans...

but,when i want to removemy old paste,does paper or pice of clothes will work and a,alcohol ink because   isopropyl alcohol hard for me to get it

Edited by adamsubhi, 27 May 2019 - 10:02 AM.

Shelinka #19 Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:42 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 22208 battles
  • [LAMOS] LAMOS

View Postadamsubhi, on 27 May 2019 - 08:55 AM, said:

it will help me?to solve this 

No.

Seems like you're fixated on your non-existing temperature problem, once you figure out what was actually broken PM me, my bet is on one of the caps in your PSU ^^

adamsubhi #20 Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:51 AM

Private

• Player
  • 22332 battles
  • [-BIH-] -BIH-

View PostShelinka, on 27 May 2019 - 08:42 AM, said:

No.

Seems like you're fixated on your non-existing temperature problem, once you figure out what was actually broken PM me, my bet is on one of the caps in your PSU ^^

my psu is pretty fine,...however i found out that my pc has stock fans which isnt sufficint for gaming.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users