Why people keep thinking FCM 36 PaK 40 is good?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

lnfernaI #1 Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:26 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33970 battles

It's just not. It trades everything for a gun and for viewrange,that many other tanks on the same tier can get, and many lights for that same reason can get camo and doublebush.

Just get a Marder II. Or a Großtraktor - Krupp.

PowJay #2 Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:47 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 39886 battles

I have contemplated buying it a number of times. It is cheap, powerful, it's a TD (and I love my TDs), I do play tier III sometimes, and I have a decent French TD crew in the S 35 CA.

And then, every time, I say- Nah. I really can't be bothered.

Although I have some great tier III vehicles, I don't play that low often enough that I want to pay (ANYTHING) for a vehicle. All seven of the vehicles I do have (including three gift Premiums) are good vehicles. I have over 55% WR in every one and 61% from 388 battles in the SU-76M.

But it isn't all plain sailing down there. The randomness of newbie play can lead to the most unexpected things happening. The proliferation of auto-cannons at low tiers is frustrating- which is why I play the Pz IC myself :trollface:. Even the mighty IC is not all it could be. Yesterday I faced Pz S35s, AMX 38s and even (in one battle) an M2 (light tier II or med tier III I can't remember) that I could not pen reliably.

I do enjoy the occasional tier III session, but pay to play here? Nope. I generally start my play at tier IV which often counts for missions as well. AND- considering tier IV often sees tier VI- I don't really consider it seal-clubbing. Especially when, quite often, I get at, or near top on damage in tier VI battles. Several of my replays stand in testimony to this point. :honoring:

DuncaN_101 #3 Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:51 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 56009 battles
  • [TEC] TEC
It's not that great no.
It's super slow and a pretty large target.

However that gun and the view range do make up for some of its shortcomings.

Pandabird #4 Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:53 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37226 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF

got it for 425 gold back in the day, it used to be absolutely broken for old Province.

It is just god awful with the new map rotation though, slow and sluggish paper TD.

Stevies_Team #5 Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:12 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12596 battles

It been the only BM tank I've bothered with and its great fun

Too slow to be in any attack unless things drag out but great for home defence and dominating the middle zone

They all scamper about in the rocks and cover desperately trying to nail you

The only really annoying bit is half a dozen easy shots being blocked by your own team as they die like flies

Edited by If_I_Die_You_Die_Too, 27 May 2019 - 09:19 AM.

Richthoffen #6 Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:54 AM

Major

• Player
  • 30071 battles
  • [MS-] MS-

view range, that and the fact you probably meet tanks with bad crews mostly and less experience, so they don't move when being shot only rotating the turret trying to figure out where the shots are coming from.

I play a 3 man platoon almost every evening and at 9 we do 1 match in the PAK before returning to tier 8-9

lnfernaI #7 Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:14 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33970 battles

View PostRichthoffen, on 27 May 2019 - 10:54 AM, said:

view range, that and the fact you probably meet tanks with bad crews mostly and less experience, so they don't move when being shot only rotating the turret trying to figure out where the shots are coming from.

I play a 3 man platoon almost every evening and at 9 we do 1 match in the PAK before returning to tier 8-9

fair enough, i challenge you with my grostraktor.

mortalsatsuma #8 Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:15 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14635 battles

Because it is? 

Every time I get mines it's basically GG, 10 kills, top gun high calibre.....

shot_546.jpg

ValkyrionX #9 Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:17 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 52704 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT
I did only 1 game without equipment or consumable and with a terrible crew..is not terrible and not op at the same time..but the gun is absolutely awesome for its tier ...and its slow like a turtle 

lnfernaI #10 Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:17 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33970 battles

View Postmortalsatsuma, on 27 May 2019 - 11:15 AM, said:

Because it is? 

Every time I get mines it's basically GG, 10 kills, top gun high calibre.....

nah it's not, you just get lucky.

every time i meet one in my grostraktor,they usually end up smoldering wreck on the same mines camp spot,either for north or south spawn.

and they never spot me.

Corrupted_Pling #11 Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:28 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 49671 battles
  • [O-L-T] O-L-T
bought it.. dont have equipment to put on it at present so aint played it.. so cant really comment

ThinGun #12 Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:33 AM

Major

• Player
  • 40116 battles
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO

Heh.  I used to love playing it on the old Mittengard.  With that VR, you could spot every single enemy player as soon as you spawned.  

Anyway.  It's a binary sort of a tank - stonking wins or miserable losses.  It can't keep up in a fast moving battle, but man, if you're well hidden as the enemy attack ... that gun is a total beast at Tier 3/4.

superkart #13 Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:46 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5477 battles

Low tier TDs pack a powerful gun for their tier, allowing them to dispense with tanks in milliseconds.

They are of course very vulnerable themselves but, thing is, you get into a bush, spot oncoming danger with binos, pull back behind till the bush becomes non transparent, fire a shot, take half his health off, repeat to kill.

Easy life is easy.

More often than not such high IQ tactics aren't even necessary, use your team to spot and simply target practice on the enemy.

Most players in these tiers are so inexperienced that trying to evaluate OPness of any tank is completely hit and miss.

An experienced player can take the s*ttiest specimen of armor in low tiers and go and get 6+ kills to start off their day.

This one I guess is a premium so that has to count for something vs a whatever TD.

BlackBloodBandit #14 Posted 27 May 2019 - 03:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6351 battles

View PostlnfernaI, on 27 May 2019 - 10:17 AM, said:

every time i meet one in my grostraktor,they usually end up smoldering wreck on the same mines camp spot,either for north or south spawn.

and they never spot me.

If I'm on Mines and see they got one.. I know the chance of getting screwed is big. It's super hard to out-spot them, so they pewpew at least a few tanks if one manages to get close enough to spot him. If you pick the right spot at north, you can out-spot anyone.

Balc0ra #15 Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:47 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 72874 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostlnfernaI, on 27 May 2019 - 08:26 AM, said:

It's just not. It trades everything for a gun and for viewrange,that many other tanks on the same tier can get, and many lights for that same reason can get camo and doublebush.

Just get a Marder II. Or a Großtraktor - Krupp.

And yet it's more or less the single reason why Province was removed from low tiers back in the day. As if you spawned at the right side and spot. You could get at least 8+ spots easy in the first 10 seconds. In the map rotation today, if he gets to the right part of the map, or right maps. He can dominate rather well. As most won't see him until he has killed them. But if he goes to town on Ensk. Anything can kill him in a 1 on 1 easy.

Take most of my tier III's. They have about a 350m view range and 6 to 7% camo on the move. My pak with a good crew is a 445m with optics, and has camo rating when firing standing still at 18%. That means you can spot most tagets at 420 to 400m in the open, and they won't see you, even when you are firing before he is at 300 to 290m when you sit in the open with no camo cover. Toss in a 50% bush there and it will be closer to 110m if they have 350m view range. But... if they closes the distance on a different map as the Pak don't see him until it's too late, like on Ensk. It's not gonna end well for the Pak. So he needs open ground to work. And if he is allowed to use it. He can dominate rather well.

Edited by Balc0ra, 27 May 2019 - 04:49 PM.

lnfernaI #16 Posted 27 May 2019 - 05:32 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33970 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 27 May 2019 - 05:47 PM, said:

[..]

meh

still haven't been killed by one in months.

mortalsatsuma #17 Posted 27 May 2019 - 06:22 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14635 battles

View PostlnfernaI, on 27 May 2019 - 10:17 AM, said:

and they never spot me.

Lol, sure, sure :teethhappy:

It's a broken tank. The only limiting factor is the crap engine power but with a camo net, binos and a nice spot to post up in, anything that comes within 445m is a smouldering wreck.

I don't even have a good crew in mine and have a K/D of 4.52 after 53 matches.  

17:23 Added after 1 minute

View PostBlackBloodBandit, on 27 May 2019 - 03:29 PM, said:

If I'm on Mines and see they got one.. I know the chance of getting screwed is big. It's super hard to out-spot them, so they pewpew at least a few tanks if one manages to get close enough to spot him. If you pick the right spot at north, you can out-spot anyone.

I find that I do way better in south spawn mines. had multiple 10 kill matches from that spawn from just sitting in the same spot the entire time and picking people off. 

lnfernaI #18 Posted 27 May 2019 - 06:27 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33970 battles

View Postmortalsatsuma, on 27 May 2019 - 07:22 PM, said:

Lol, sure, sure :teethhappy:

It's a broken tank. The only limiting factor is the crap engine power but with a camo net, binos and a nice spot to post up in, anything that comes within 445m is a smouldering wreck.

I don't even have a good crew in mine and have a K/D of 4.52 after 53 matches.  

17:23 Added after 1 minute

I find that I do way better in south spawn mines. had multiple 10 kill matches from that spawn from just sitting in the same spot the entire time and picking people off. 

trust me,grostraktor has higher camo,and won't be spotted behind a transparent bush, unless it shoots.

I do have a 5 skill panther crew; this isn't me talking out of arse, but out of experience. 

Fcm won't win me in hulldown,nor can it ammorack,since it's located in sides,and speaking of which, loading HE rarely works for 76mm caliber guns,as you can just show them your side spaced armor, which covers the entirety of the tank.

mortalsatsuma #19 Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:20 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14635 battles

View PostlnfernaI, on 27 May 2019 - 06:27 PM, said:

trust me,grostraktor has higher camo,and won't be spotted behind a transparent bush, unless it shoots.

I do have a 5 skill panther crew; this isn't me talking out of arse, but out of experience. 

Fcm won't win me in hulldown,nor can it ammorack,since it's located in sides,and speaking of which, loading HE rarely works for 76mm caliber guns,as you can just show them your side spaced armor, which covers the entirety of the tank.

You are talking completely out of your arse though. Just ran both of those tanks through a camo comparison and the FCM with binocs deployed will spot the grostraktor at just over 321m when stationary and not shooting whereas the grostracktor has to get within 223m of a staionary FCM to spot him if he's not behind a bush. If the grostraktor is firing the FCM will spot it at 445m. 

This is assuming they both have camo crews, camo paint, camo net etc. Also, why would the FCM bother loading HE? It would take on average 3 hits to kill a grostraktor and assuming the FCM player knows what they're doing you'd be dead long before you spotted them. 

lnfernaI #20 Posted 28 May 2019 - 12:04 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33970 battles

View Postmortalsatsuma, on 27 May 2019 - 08:20 PM, said:

You are talking completely out of your arse though. Just ran both of those tanks through a camo comparison and the FCM with binocs deployed will spot the grostraktor at just over 321m when stationary and not shooting whereas the grostracktor has to get within 223m of a staionary FCM to spot him if he's not behind a bush. If the grostraktor is firing the FCM will spot it at 445m. 

This is assuming they both have camo crews, camo paint, camo net etc. Also, why would the FCM bother loading HE? It would take on average 3 hits to kill a grostraktor and assuming the FCM player knows what they're doing you'd be dead long before you spotted them. 

im not sure why you are implying these things.

mine is running binos,gld and vents (can't run rammer). I have no reason to drive into the open to spot one, if i can just peek corners or cover for potential spots and pull back,and can blindshot alot of common bush camp spots with HE. i also do have a turret, meaning if I surprise fcm,he's dead meat (or metal in this case)... 

i can play up to a draw if i wish to. If I won't spot the redline trash,I will let them come,or keep blindshot.

surely 1.2k games in my Großtraktor say something..

ahh of course,i am the best Gr.Tr player of all time by recorded leaderboard stats.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users