pre-order exclusive

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

Cobra6 #1 Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:36 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16517 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

I'd have hoped that WG would not sink to a new low and offer even more of the pre-order exclusive tanks up for sale but it seems there really is no end to the depths this company will sink to make a little bit more cash.

After it was promised by the CEO that these tanks were pre-order exclusives and that they were never going to be sold again as a token of appreciation to the earliest supporters of this game, selling the mutant a couple of times was already a middle finger to the people that helped WoT out when it needed it the most, when cash was running very low back in 2011.

And now, 20.000 Panzer V/IV went on sale for a very bargain price of 5000 gold only which, for one of the rarest tanks on the server really is ridiculously low pricing.

Honestly, I knew WG would not be able to keep it in their pants and would eventually start selling it again. However, I had hoped for a pricing that at least maintained the illusive nature of this tank *AND* maintain it as rare. Something along the lines of only 300 available for 10K gold minimum.

It's a shame there is now a huge influx of these on the server, as it's a very competitive tank Tier 5 MM will be quite devastated for a long time to come, which is a problem on top of kicking core players in the marbles.

Having said all I wanted to say I'm left with a bad feeling and a whole lot of disappointment. 

But for those interested in the tank, here is my 3-marking video of it from quite a time ago when it was among the hardest tanks to mark in the game (as only good players were playing it).

And some other material on the play style.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 28 May 2019 - 07:41 AM.

Jumping_Turtle #2 Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:40 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 69445 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT
The post we all knew was coming ...

Too bad you name it the IV/V though :-)

eldrak #3 Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:42 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 51226 battles
  • [GR-W] GR-W
Wasn't it available once 4-5 years ago for a short while too?

Cobra6 #4 Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:43 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16517 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Fixed it for you :)

Of course the post was coming, the point is still as valid as it was when they started selling the Mutant again. Shoddy business practices need to be pointed out continually, without *any* backlash, no matter how small, they will just increase.

Problem is that back in 2013 when WG tried this stunt, it was fresher in people's minds and the backlash was much bigger. So big they in fact pulled them all from the store.

Back then, WG still had the customer in mind and a whole lot more decency unfortunately.

Cobra 6

Balc0ra #5 Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:45 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 72874 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

I suspected you would not be happy with this.

View PostCobra6, on 28 May 2019 - 07:36 AM, said:

After it was promised by the CEO that these tanks were pre-order exclusives and that they were never going to be sold again as a token of appreciation to the earliest supporters of this game, selling the mutant a couple of times was already a middle finger to the people that helped WoT out when it needed it the most, when cash was running very low back in 2011.

That problem is more or less reflected in the current head of WOT. As he more or less said as long as he is in charge, the Type 59 won't appear in the store for normal sale. But when he is gone? Who knows. As when Victor was in charge of WOT, that rule was still followed I suspect with regards to this and the Mutant. When he left the game to let other people run it. They had different ideas about what to sell or not. As we have clearly seen. As it's the same people that decided it was time to sell the Type 62 again too.

View PostCobra6, on 28 May 2019 - 07:36 AM, said:

And now, 20.000 Panzer IV/V went on sale for a very bargain price of 5000 gold only which, for one of the rarest tanks on the server really is ridiculously low pricing.

That was actually a surprise. Not the price. But rather the amount available. There were 5K on EU before the sale. 13K left of the 20 put out. But going by most, it seems they think the price is too big for a tier 5. So who knows, they might not sell all of them. 

Jumping_Turtle #6 Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:48 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 69445 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT
First thing I thought of when I saw it really being sold was this post. Cobra is not going to like this.

But eventhough I did bought it I agree with your post completly. When making such promises you should not break them.

But we all know it transfered from a game for players to a business for money years ago ...

TankkiPoju #7 Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:50 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 23695 battles

Mark my words, eventually every tank in the game will be available with gold.

Including tanks like Obj907 and other reward tanks.

Jumping_Turtle #8 Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:52 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 69445 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

View PostTankkiPoju, on 28 May 2019 - 07:50 AM, said:

Of course. That is what I have been telling also. Little to no expensives and when the demand is high enough they will sell them.

Cobra6 #9 Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:55 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16517 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostBalc0ra, on 28 May 2019 - 06:45 AM, said:

That was actually a surprise. Not the price. But rather the amount available. There were 5K on EU before the sale. 13K left of the 20 put out. But going by most, it seems they think the price is too big for a tier 5. So who knows, they might not sell all of them. 

They will all sell, there is still 12 hours left and a lot of people waking up and logging into the game.

They basically just increased the amount of these on the server by 400%, that is quite an insane increase for a rare tank.

View PostJumping_Turtle, on 28 May 2019 - 06:48 AM, said:

First thing I thought of when I saw it really being sold was this post. Cobra is not going to like this.

But eventhough I did bought it I agree with your post completly. When making such promises you should not break them.

But we all know it transfered from a game for players to a business for money years ago ...

I'm not blaming people who buy it, it's the most logical thing to do.

Rather I'm blaming WG for their lack of backbone and blatant money-grubbing at the expense of earliest supporters. That is always a bad reflection on an already eroding positive image.

Cobra6

Jigabachi #10 Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:55 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Yeah, you can stop being surprised. We perfectly know WG's business strategies by now, so it was just a matter of time. And honestly... when you keep throwing your money at them after all those middle fingers, you have no right to complain.

Balc0ra #11 Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:59 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 72874 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostTankkiPoju, on 28 May 2019 - 07:50 AM, said:

If so I suspect they will that for bonds first. But I also suspect CW tanks is far down on that list before others. As they don't want to make that mistake. And going by a recent Q&A. I suspect the current head of wot knows that too. But as I said above, when he leaves? Who knows. Then it could get worse with that regard... or better, or the same as know. 

View PostCobra6, on 28 May 2019 - 07:55 AM, said:

They will all sell, there is still 12 hours left and a lot of people waking up and logging into the game.

They basically just increased the amount of these on the server by 400%, that is quite an insane increase for a rare tank.

Yeah, I honestly did expect that to be limited to a few thousand tbh. Not 20K. But as it appeared now, it will def appear again. I'm betting advent calendar. As they did the same with the II J. As that too was once even more rare before they started to sell it rather often on and off. This might be the next thing as the Muntant is not selling too well anymore either. Nor did the II J as we did see.

Prowler_DK #12 Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:04 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 109043 battles
  • [-NFD-] -NFD-
The one for sale is not the ALFA version! tho¨

Brutal_Enforcer_ #13 Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:11 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 49005 battles
  • [B--R] B--R

View PostProwler_DK, on 28 May 2019 - 07:04 AM, said:

The one for sale is not the ALFA version! tho¨

no but on tanks.gg it has them both and all stats are the same

Leepants #14 Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:15 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 19944 battles
  • [ZIIP] ZIIP
Nice reviews / vids, Cobra. I'm now 5k gold poorer ;) 

tajj7 #15 Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:19 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28211 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Whilst I get your point, it has been what 8, nearly 9 years, I doubt they thought at the time the game would last as long as it did.

8 years of an 'exclusive' tank is pretty good reward to those original backers IMO, and most of them are not even here or playing it, as only 6 tanks were played on the EU server last month. 

Cobra6 #16 Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:26 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16517 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Posttajj7, on 28 May 2019 - 07:19 AM, said:

Whilst I get your point, it has been what 8, nearly 9 years, I doubt they thought at the time the game would last as long as it did.

8 years of an 'exclusive' tank is pretty good reward to those original backers IMO, and most of them are not even here or playing it, as only 6 tanks were played on the EU server last month. 

Well, it was but there are two issues with this:

- It was marketed as a pre-order exclusive, so the amount of years hardly matters.

- There are more then 500 tanks in this game, there simply was no need to sell the 3 tanks reserved for pre-order.

Cobra 6

Geno1isme #17 Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:33 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 48124 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

I'm surprised people truly think that "never ever" actually means "for eternity" without any time limitation, esp. in a fast moving industry like this. That's just foolish to assume, already was before the Mutant went on sale years ago. Nobody in their right mind would make statements about a 5+ year timeframe in this context.

Back when that statement was made probably nobody even in the company believed the game would last more than five years in the first place.

Celution #18 Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:34 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 28036 battles
  • [SENSE] SENSE

I feel ya.

I currently feel cheated on, and this generally is a kick in the face for being a loyal and dedicated player throughout all these years. The vehicle now instantly lost all of its unique value at the blink of an eye now that any random player had the possibility to purchase it while being in stock. Before, seeing one of these on the battlefield meant that this person has been around for at least 8 years.

Yes, a similar event occurred a couple of years ago when it was decided to sell the M6A2E1, another tank that was supposed to be a pre-order exclusive. At least these players were compensated to some extend by giving a unique style to those who had the vehicle since the pre-order.

I think the best solution in this case is to give "oldies" the Pz.Kpfw. V/IV Alpha, alternatively introduce a copy-paste of the vehicle and call it "Pz.Kpfw. V/IV Beta", to also not screw over those currently in possession of the Alpha variant...

Geno1isme #19 Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:37 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 48124 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View PostCobra6, on 28 May 2019 - 09:26 AM, said:

- There are more then 500 tanks in this game, there simply was no need to sell the 3 tanks reserved for pre-order.

Over 400 of those are techtree tanks that make no sense to sell, and most of the others are somehow available by other means so aren't very attractive. So the real candidate list is much shorter.

Aimless #20 Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:39 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 24015 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
It wasn't the first time WG broke their promises and it surely won't be the last. So no surprize for me. I'm more surprized about the comparably low price. The Unpanther is much more of a gem than the Pz II J for example, and then they sell it for what? 5k gold? lol, nuts  :facepalm:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users