Jump to content


Cannot qualify for the Ranked battles


  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Amun_RA #1 Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:02 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 50184 battles
  • 496
  • Member since:
    09-27-2011

I cannot make it past rank 14 in qualifying division no matter what.

 

In the first season of ranked battles I got to rank 15 and I was 2 chevrons away from entering the gold league because I was out of time (what I want to say is that I couldn't have lost rank 15 anymore and those 2 extra chevrons would have been won either way, skill or luck).

 

I don't say that I am skilled enough for being in the gold league and  I admit the first season was kind of grindy. But still... I would at least expect to be able to qualify in this season. 

 

And before judging me solely by my random stats, bare in mind that I play better in randoms than my stats indicate. In the first 20k battles I used an old laptop, with lots of lags and I also used to commit suicide very often for different reasons, mainly for being a noob. 

Since then I managed to get Object 260, I got 1 MoE on it and even got 2 MoE on some tanks including 3 tier 8 light tanks (EBR, LP 432, ELC). Where I still lack a lot is tier 10 meds. I simply cannot make them work in order to have good win rate.

 

Am I the only one who last seasons got at least in the silver league and this season cannot qualify? 

 

And I think this season there are huge variations from one battle to the other in the sense that in one battle, for example, I am at rank 12 and I play against players from rank 0 to rank 14 but in the next battle I am at rank 12 and I play against players from rank 12 to rank x in the second or even first division. Wtf??? How is this not more like random? 

 

I think this season is a mess and extremely grindy and frustrating. If WG thinks that I am going to grind 3 divisions (if I qualify) then they must have smoken something. Soon I will stop trying to qualify but I will be sorry I won't get the camo.

 

Edit: About the tanks role play... It needs a lot of work to be made better.

An example : I played Strv aggressively on Ruinberg, in the middle of the map, east side, between houses. I had around 3.5k damage dealt and about 2.5k in spotted plus some damage blocked and received. Another Strv had only 2.8 k damage and 0 (!) assisted damage. He got 3rd place, I got only 6th or something.  I got 0 for tank role and he got much more for that. How is that fair? Only because I didn't snipe from the red line? Wtf WG?!

 

Edit 2: I play Foch 155 on Prokhorowka, north side. I snipe from more than 300 m away and get 2k damage (including a fire and some other critical damage) and 1.4 assisted damage. I only get on 11th place. So the role TD Foch 155 in WG's sick mind is to go in front and get killed before I manage to shoot twice?! Wtf WG?!

 

Edit 3: I have just managed to qualify. I still think the system needs lots of improvements. 


Edited by Amun_RA, 31 May 2019 - 09:39 PM.


Japualtah #2 Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:30 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 31788 battles
  • 1,319
  • Member since:
    04-20-2012

Yesterday I had to play against people being in the top league (well, is it, those with one star? not sure) while qualifying.

I still click battle for giggles but will never qualify.

 

It's bad designers syndrome to give the better players rewards that make them even better.

WG will close its doors before they understand :)



the_Haba #3 Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:55 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 27587 battles
  • 351
  • Member since:
    12-13-2013

Ranked is a massive fail once again.

 

Just had a game with two guys with 0 chevrons fighting guys at rank 14 of the third division.



the_nebuchadnezzar #4 Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:28 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 54261 battles
  • 1,662
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
  • Member since:
    08-19-2013
A little beside the topic, but is it me or once you get to Bronze league, the grind is much much easy. Those daily doubles are crazy. I manage to get half way through in just 3 hours while struggle to get pass the qualify for over a week. 

Japualtah #5 Posted 30 May 2019 - 10:04 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 31788 battles
  • 1,319
  • Member since:
    04-20-2012

It looks like.

 

Maybe there's a secret plot to keep as many people as possible from qualifying.

Doesn't make much sens at first glance, but who knows...



Amun_RA #6 Posted 31 May 2019 - 12:02 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 50184 battles
  • 496
  • Member since:
    09-27-2011

View PostJapualtah, on 30 May 2019 - 09:04 PM, said:

It looks like.

 

Maybe there's a secret plot to keep as many people as possible from qualifying.

Doesn't make much sens at first glance, but who knows...

 

I am sick and tired of this type of comments. 

 

I have tried to explain that the new system in ranked doesn't seem to be working for me and that it could be that I am not the only to be blamed for it. 



xx984 #7 Posted 31 May 2019 - 12:29 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 63907 battles
  • 3,353
  • [SHEKL] SHEKL
  • Member since:
    08-11-2013

so its working as intended, You are not good enough so cannot qualify, simple as that.

 

If you were then you would of qualified 



Amun_RA #8 Posted 31 May 2019 - 12:46 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 50184 battles
  • 496
  • Member since:
    09-27-2011

View Postxx984, on 30 May 2019 - 11:29 PM, said:

so its working as intended, You are not good enough so cannot qualify, simple as that.

 

If you were then you would of qualified 

 

It might be. 

 

Or it may also be the case that WG f up ranked battles and  many accept as perfect any crap that they throw at them. 


Edited by Amun_RA, 31 May 2019 - 01:06 AM.


thetoughcookie #9 Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:12 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 45718 battles
  • 390
  • [VIVID] VIVID
  • Member since:
    05-08-2015
Ranked battles = fucked up battles. 

NUKLEAR_SLUG #10 Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:54 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 34085 battles
  • 4,415
  • [FISHY] FISHY
  • Member since:
    06-13-2015

View PostAmun_RA, on 31 May 2019 - 12:46 AM, said:

 

It might be. 

 

Or it may also be the case that WG f up ranked battles and  many accept as perfect any crap that they throw at them. 

 

Do you not think that in a system that is supposed to rank players according to their skill there will be a point at which your skill is insufficient to proceed any higher? How have you concluded that you haven't just found that point? 

tumppi776 #11 Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:30 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 47109 battles
  • 2,444
  • [T-BAD] T-BAD
  • Member since:
    01-27-2014

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 31 May 2019 - 12:54 AM, said:

 

Do you not think that in a system that is supposed to rank players according to their skill there will be a point at which your skill is insufficient to proceed any higher? How have you concluded that you haven't just found that point? 

 

IMO qualify as a term indicates you should either qualify or disqualify. But NOT get stuck in forever.

 

maybe the qualification should have been: play 50 battles

 

not: struggle with shitty teams to get your chevrons



UrQuan #12 Posted 31 May 2019 - 07:41 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 21336 battles
  • 7,178
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-19-2011

Got to keep in mind that ranked battles are never easy & the qualification line is very long. I tried it a bit & I know i don't have the time nor dedication to qualify. Tried it a bit & I enjoy the gameplay in randoms more (albeit the bond rewards were nice)

 

To qualify for ranked you need to meet one of two qualifications:

- You got the skills to get through the qualification in time

- You got the dedication & time to qualify

 

The best players mainly go through on point 1, people with alot of time on their hands coast by on point 2. most have a combination of the two. Having a tank that's competitive in ranked battles help. Some tanks are just better then others, playing a tank that lacks characteristics that help it in ranked will make it alot harder to qualify. Good viewrange & good firepower help alot. Having extra armor helps surviving a bad decision (because one bad move can ruin your ranked battle)



Long_Range_Sniper #13 Posted 31 May 2019 - 07:52 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 37418 battles
  • 10,572
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    04-04-2011

If anyone saw QB last night he was raging worse about ranked than I've ever seen him. "Effing game this, and effing game that!!!". Choirboy image right out of the window.

 

He was raging that a mode about solo play and skill becomes dominated by tanks only obtainable through team play (i.e. CW tanks). I'm not saying I totally agree, but it's certainly a point.

 

Personally, I find the meta in ranked isn't fun. I've stopped in the third division because it's just more of the same.

 

Cautious/camping play where rewards don't seem proportionate to the skill or effort you put in. 



Lil_Dimitry #14 Posted 31 May 2019 - 07:54 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 2319 battles
  • 291
  • [URMUM] URMUM
  • Member since:
    12-07-2014

 

OP you have very bad stats in your tier 10s, each and every one of them has bad results and under 50% winrate.

 In the last seasons you could finish gold league regardless of how good you are, you just needed a bit of luck and a WHOLE lot of games. You can still play a lot of games and finish all 4 divisions but with your performance you will 100% not finish in gold league, with the 44% eff you have now you will most likely finish bronze (which is pointless anyway since the only difference between the 3 leagues is camo style and a badge, other rewards are exactly the same).

 You're just not that good at tier 10, take your loss now, improve your tier 10 gameplay and try again next season



Wot_in_2k19 #15 Posted 31 May 2019 - 08:26 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 47254 battles
  • 296
  • Member since:
    08-14-2012

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 31 May 2019 - 06:52 AM, said:

If anyone saw QB last night he was raging worse about ranked than I've ever seen him. "Effing game this, and effing game that!!!". Choirboy image right out of the window.

 

He was raging that a mode about solo play and skill becomes dominated by tanks only obtainable through team play (i.e. CW tanks). I'm not saying I totally agree, but it's certainly a point.

 

Personally, I find the meta in ranked isn't fun. I've stopped in the third division because it's just more of the same.

 

Cautious/camping play where rewards don't seem proportionate to the skill or effort you put in. 

 

So sad to hear that 

QB plays all the time EBR and most off the time was on red line,  EBR  is a very low skill tank in tier 10 

 



tajj7 #16 Posted 31 May 2019 - 08:42 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 28175 battles
  • 16,226
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    03-30-2014

View PostAmun_RA, on 30 May 2019 - 06:02 PM, said:

Edit: About the tanks role play... It needs a lot of work to be made better.

An example : I played Strv aggressively on Ruinberg, in the middle of the map, east side, between houses. I had around 3.5k damage dealt and about 2.5k in spotted plus some damage blocked and received. Another Strv had only 2.8 k damage and 0 (!) assisted damage. He got 3rd place, I got only 6th or something.  I got 0 for tank role and he got much more for that. How is that fair? Only because I didn't snipe from the red line? Wtf WG?!

 

Edit 2: I play Foch 155 on Prokhorowka, north side. I snipe from more than 300 m away and get 2k damage (including a fire and some other critical damage) and 1.4 assisted damage. I only get on 11th place. So the role TD Foch 155 in WG's sick mind is to go in front and get killed before I manage to shoot twice?! Wtf WG?! 

 

Yeh did you look at the tank roles? 


Strv gets 'role xp' from doing damage 300m away.

 

Foch 155 doesn't, its get is from blocking damage I believe and doing damage within its view range. 

 

I mean that is part of your problem, you are not playing to the role XP, if you are playing Strv you need to snipe as that is the role. 

 

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 31 May 2019 - 06:52 AM, said:

He was raging that a mode about solo play and skill becomes dominated by tanks only obtainable through team play (i.e. CW tanks). I'm not saying I totally agree, but it's certainly a point.

 

He has a point, not necessarily in how you get the tanks, I see no issue with good tanks being earned in CWs, but they are just too good, particularly T95/FV4201 and 907 dominate the mode, when pretty much every player on the leaderboard has ranked up fast with like 70-80% of their games in the T95, you know there is an issue with it. 

 

View PostWot_in_2k19, on 31 May 2019 - 07:26 AM, said:

 

So sad to hear that 

QB plays all the time EBR and most off the time was on red line,  EBR  is a very low skill tank in tier 10 

 

 

EBR is a massively hard tank to play, especially in ranked. 


Edited by tajj7, 31 May 2019 - 08:44 AM.


war4peace #17 Posted 31 May 2019 - 09:00 AM

    Colonel

  • Translator
  • 29728 battles
  • 3,900
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    01-31-2011

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 31 May 2019 - 02:54 AM, said:

 

Do you not think that in a system that is supposed to rank players according to their skill there will be a point at which your skill is insufficient to proceed any higher? How have you concluded that you haven't just found that point? 

 

In WoT current meta it's not only about skill anymore, not 100%.

The game pace accelerated tremendously during the past 2-3 years, culminating with wheeled vehicles which reach 100 km/h. This means maps have suddenly become way too small, and slow tanks get spotted way too soon. This puts many T10 tanks at a huge disadvantage, making them simply unsuitable for consistent performance in ranked battles. Armor has been reduced to zero, because everybody shoots gold ammo Therefore, what you need in order to perform is a small, fast tank, preferably with a very strong turret. Russian Objects all qualify (907, 430U, 140, 277), also K91, T-62A, BatChat if you know how to play it, T100 LT is great, EBR 105 is awesome in the right hands. The ubiquity of reward T10 tanks in ranked battles (and yes, those are OP compared to regular T10 tanks) and the speed meta put "classic" tanks such as Maus, E100 at a huge disadvantage. On top of that, if you are in a slower tank and picked a flank and all action happens on the other flank, even if you win, you will not get a chevron because you didn't deal enough damage. It happened to me repeatedly. For example: successfully held the river flank at Abbey alone against two enemy tanks, dealt about 2K damage, effectively used my armor, played very well in my role, we won, I came up 11th. Next battle on the same map I didn't go there, the flank remained fairly open, the two tanks which went there got wiped, we lost but I scored enough damage to retain the chevron as well.

By the way, this is yet another disadvantage of a slow tank: if your team steamrolls the enemy, you might not even get into the position to deal enough damage, being instead condemned to trundle behind them and hope you get a small bone to chew.

 

There is another issue that fast gameplay introduces: small mistakes (I wouldn't even call them mistakes most  times) have a snowball effect. For example, Lakeville, start of battle. Enemy has an EBR 105, my team has an AMX 13 105. Upon start, some heavy tank turns right and blocks the AMX 13 105 from getting to the spotting position with maximum efficiency. The light tank has to go slightly around the heavy tank, losing 1-2 seconds in the process. Upon proceeding to the correct spotting position, he is spotted by the enemy EBR 105 which topped its 100 km/h speed and manages to spot our light tank first. The AMX 13 105 gets promptly destroyed by the enemy, leaving my team without a spotter, and the snowball effect ensues. Battle is lost within 5 minutes, own team wiped out.  10 people lost a chevron just because one tank was not able to get to one spotting position in due time.

 

Question is: who is to blame? The heavy tank for trying to leave an exposed position as soon as possible? The AMX 13 105? The enemy for having an insanely fast tank which managed to get into a spotting position first? None of the former, really. It is World of Tanks current meta, which exists in random battles as well, only there a defeat isn't severely punished so not really a cause for complaint. In randoms, you shrug it off and play a new battle. In ranked mode, are pushed back one chevron.

 

There is another effect of Ranked battles, from a design perspective, that I dislike: you as a player not only compete with enemies, but with own team mates as well. The goal of the battle is to both win AND make more XP than your team mates. Slow tanks don't help you there, since they can't relocate. Defending a flank won't help you either. Playing aggressively and risking to be destroyed early? No go. This makes the role of a good spotter even more prominent.

 

I would have redesigned the whole chevron mechanic just like the (in)famous matchmaking tier spread, the 3-5-7 way: Top 3 players from each team get 2 chevrons, next 5 get one chevron, the rest get nothing. But then again, maybe I am biased, after playing ranked battles repeatedly my progress was something like this in terms of chevrons: 0-1-2-3-2-3-2-1-2-3-4-3-2-1-2-1-0-1-2-3-4-3-2-3-2-3-2, and there were very few battles which I reviewed and found my own gameplay as not being good enough. Usually it was me being in a too slow tank, or me helping the team in the wrong flank (with a slow tank) and unable tor relocate, or me being rained upon by arty (with a slow tank) :)



pallie_the_artillerist #18 Posted 31 May 2019 - 09:30 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 20304 battles
  • 1,386
  • [JBAIT] JBAIT
  • Member since:
    01-12-2013
It's a struggle mate. WG doesn't help things by making it so losers can win/retain chevrons, it makes the gameplay very toxic.

tajj7 #19 Posted 31 May 2019 - 09:48 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 28175 battles
  • 16,226
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    03-30-2014

They need to remove progression dependency away from just one battle to improve gameplay.

 

It shouldn't matter if you lose the game, you can't win every game and you shouldn't have to suddenly play super defensively as soon as the game looks like its going badly just to protect your progress.

 

Progress should be dependent on performance over multiple battles, set some sort of target of damage, or XP etc. over 5-10 battles (change it per class or something) and then it won't matter if you lose 1-2 games because you can still progress.

 

Then obviously have less ranks/chevrons, in fact just have your target across 5 games to hit your next rank something like that, so no Chevrons, if you miss it you drop down. 



tumppi776 #20 Posted 31 May 2019 - 10:05 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 47109 battles
  • 2,444
  • [T-BAD] T-BAD
  • Member since:
    01-27-2014

View Posttajj7, on 31 May 2019 - 08:48 AM, said:

They need to remove progression dependency away from just one battle to improve gameplay.

 

It shouldn't matter if you lose the game, you can't win every game and you shouldn't have to suddenly play super defensively as soon as the game looks like its going badly just to protect your progress.

 

Progress should be dependent on performance over multiple battles, set some sort of target of damage, or XP etc. over 5-10 battles (change it per class or something) and then it won't matter if you lose 1-2 games because you can still progress.

 

Then obviously have less ranks/chevrons, in fact just have your target across 5 games to hit your next rank something like that, so no Chevrons, if you miss it you drop down. 

 

this would prevent bad players to be carried by better ones. which clearly is something they dont want to stop.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users