How you 3 mark tanks?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

PayToWinDude #1 Posted 01 June 2019 - 02:39 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16344 battles
  • [BC-V] BC-V

How you get consistently good games?  How you get good game when  half of your team die in less then 3 min?????

:B

xx984 #2 Posted 01 June 2019 - 03:01 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 63907 battles
  • [SHEKL] SHEKL

Team dying fast isnt a bad thing, more chance to farm when the enemy tanks are farming your team and then making their way to you.

But anyway.

Aim for assisted damage mainly for 3 marks. getting spotting/tracking is as important, if not more important for marking tanks, especially at higher tier. But it should be noted that whatever assisted is higher (spotted or tracking) only the highest counts.

So if you did 1k spotting, 1.1k tracking it wouldn't be 2.1k it would only be 1.1k from tracking. 

XxKuzkina_MatxX #3 Posted 01 June 2019 - 03:16 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

People get crappy games and crappy teams while marking tanks, no one gets a 100% good games. The idea is to minimize the drop in percentage over those games, some could even gain in those bad battles.

If you're watching closely, you'll see no difference in the initial setup of a good player. He will go to a good starting position but as usual will never over commit. It's when he realize that things are going to be bad that he starts to take measures, like falling back or abandoning a flank, to preserve his percentage.

How he does that? by looking at the map closely and comparing forces on each flank.

When exactly does he realize that? depends on how good the player is and how much he want to risk following a preset plan.

What is the backup plan? again depends on the situation, map, spawn, team's composition, spotted tanks etc. He might go forward to secure some map control instead of falling back. He might take a strong position and just stay there, becomes very obvious in small maps. Overall the design is as good as the designer.

Marks require a certain play style though, a more careful and premeditated approach to the flank you're in and the map you're playing AND it isn't dynamic. If your percentage go down after the 3rd mark, the marks stay. Squeezing every bit of damage and assist during the battle over a 100 battles, for example, is the main goal.

The best tool to use when marking a tank is this mod. It shows the requirements to raise the percentage and the current value in real time. I suggest you try it first in a training room so the small window doesn't distract you.

In battle don't just look at the numbers, use them to fine tune your performance. As in how much more do you need to increase vs. how much more you can do. It shows you how far you need to go, how many shots you need to take, how much time you need to stay alive, etc.

It's obvious that if you drop in percentage for 3 battles in a row, you should stop playing that particular tank at least. Now with this mod you can see that instantly.

Edited by XxKuzkina_MatxX, 01 June 2019 - 04:57 PM.

ExclamationMark #4 Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:15 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16788 battles
  • [IDEAD] IDEAD

View Postxx984, on 01 June 2019 - 03:01 AM, said:

Team dying fast isnt a bad thing, 

wat

That couldn't be more untrue.

8126Jakobsson #5 Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:23 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 78842 battles
Yeah you don't want anything going fast either way. Accumulating numbers takes time. :P 

Shad0wize #6 Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:25 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12647 battles

View PostPayToWinDude, on 01 June 2019 - 02:39 AM, said:

How you get consistently good games?  How you get good game when  half of your team die in less then 3 min?????

:B

After my 4 year break that certainly took me a while to adjust. New matchmaker, enemies knew how to play the game more often than not and well... the issue wasn't so obvious all the time.

I simply play. If I'm in a heavy tank and I need to scout to ensure victory, I do just so, action which made me get scout medals in my heavies, steel walls in badly armoured vehicles and the list just goes on and well, for the most part... keeps going.

If a tank has bad gun handling, I might just shoot premium or even HE in particular situation and currently I only play vehicles that challenge me instead of playing ones I would be a natural in.

My stats are worse than ever, my evolution severely hindered but I learn so much and so fast that it's not a problem anymore, it's just something I can get if I play.

I find that actually trying is the easiest solution. Why spam premium when you could just actually play the game properly and get it in under 100 battles?

Due to these very facts I find it quite easy to get the results I desire. Sure, I also get those teams, but in most cases I can avoid their anihilation by attempting to counter the enemies, I might, even at the beginning of the match, go support my heavies when I'm in a light vehicle. I might scout in a TD, I might do anything, without concern for my well being just to attempt to get a decent result. More often then not I'm rewarded with a decent winrate of 60-70% which I still cannot hold 100% of the time due to the fact that I get tired, bored and really couldn't care to try.

I'm just about on the point where I'll just tick and do it normally, but currently I still need to think about stuff and playing on autopilot might prove troublesome at times.

Edited by Shad0wize, 02 June 2019 - 02:14 AM.

r00barb #7 Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:37 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27533 battles

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 01 June 2019 - 02:16 AM, said:

People get crappy games and crappy teams while marking tanks, no one gets a 100% good games. The idea is to minimize the drop in percentage over those games, some could even gain in those bad battles.

If you're watching closely, you'll see no difference in the initial setup of a good player. He will go to a good starting position but as usual will never over commit. It's when he realize that things are going to be bad that he starts to take measures, like falling back or abandoning a flank, to preserve his percentage.

How he does that? by looking at the map closely and comparing forces on each flank.

When exactly does he realize that? depends on how good the player is and how much he want to risk following a preset plan.

What is the back plan? again depends on the situation, map, spawn, team's composition, spotted tanks etc. He might go forward to secure some map control instead of falling back. He might take a strong position and just stay there, becomes very obvious in small maps. Overall the design is as good as the designer.

Marks require a certain play style though, a more careful and premeditated approach to the flank you're in and the map you're playing AND it isn't dynamic. If your percentage go down after the 3rd mark, the marks stay. Squeezing every bit of damage and assist during the battle over a 100 battles, for example, is the main goal.

The best tool to use when marking a tank is this mod. It shows the requirements to raise the percentage and the current value in real time. I suggest you try it first in a training room so the small window doesn't distract you.

In battle don't just look at the numbers, use them to fine tune your performance. As in how much more do you need to increase vs. how much more you can do. It shows you how far you need to go, how many shots you need to take, how much time you need to stay alive, etc.

It's obvious that if you drop in percentage for 3 battles in a row, you should stop playing that particular tank at least. Now with this mod you can see that instantly.

Paying attention and thinking ... no wonder I've only 3-marked two tier 5 tanks. :unsure:

SlyMeerkat #8 Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:43 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18539 battles
  • [-RLD-] -RLD-
I find playing for marks the least fun and fast way to kill your enjoyment of the game..... I much prefer Aces > MoE as its easier and less stress inducing 

Edited by SlyMeerkat, 01 June 2019 - 09:50 AM.

superkart #9 Posted 01 June 2019 - 10:22 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5441 battles

View PostSlyMeerkat, on 01 June 2019 - 09:43 AM, said:

I find playing for marks the least fun and fast way to kill your enjoyment of the game....

And the best way to perform consistently well.

It is, however, quite stressful to me.

Now on my 3rd account, I am just driving around shooting stuff.

Sure, some situational and map awareness never hurt anyone but not gonna spend my life trying to learn all the good places on the maps and all the weakspots on the UFOs WG has been bringing out in the past few years.

To get 3 MoE you sometimes have to play passively and safely and NEVER go on a flank when your alarm bells are ringing that it is a bad idea.

I prefer to still go to that flank even if the most likely scenario is to get rushed by 5 tanks.

Easy life is easy.

r00barb #10 Posted 01 June 2019 - 11:59 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27533 battles

View Postsuperkart, on 01 June 2019 - 09:22 AM, said:

And the best way to perform consistently well.

Couldn't disagree more. You can get consistent big damage scores or consistent assists but often when three-marking you're not playing for the team, you're using them to achieve your goal. Obviously scoring a lot of damage helps the team because you're inflicting that damage on the enemy but you're playing to get that damage, not necessarily to win map control or direct the flow of battle.

It's an extremely selfish way of playing ... although of course I'd say that because I'm an average player with no three-marks to brag about, right? :rolleyes:

shikaka9 #11 Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:06 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 70629 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
3 markings .. its starts "nice marking" "gj dude"  .. and then it ends with arty magnet :teethhappy:

r00barb #12 Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:23 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27533 battles

View Postshikaka9, on 01 June 2019 - 11:06 AM, said:

3 markings .. its starts "nice marking" "gj dude"  .. and then it ends with arty magnet :teethhappy:

As someone who plays a fair amount of arty, no, it doesn't end that way. I rarely zoom in far enough to see barrel marks, I'm firing at the guys engaged with my team mates so that I can provide support. The three-marker is often safer because he's sitting in the second line trying to meet his damage requirement.

PowJay #13 Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:33 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 39864 battles
Edited after Shad0wize kindly changed his font :)

Edited by PowJay, 01 June 2019 - 04:58 PM.

8126Jakobsson #14 Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:36 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 78842 battles

View Postr00barb, on 01 June 2019 - 11:59 AM, said:

but often when three-marking you're not playing for the team

View Postr00barb, on 01 June 2019 - 12:23 PM, said:

The three-marker is often safer because he's sitting in the second line trying to meet his damage requirement.

This notion I don't understand. From where comes this belief in how one marks a tank? It's quite a common one, for some reason, but that's not the way of the mark.

malowany #15 Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:36 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6122 battles
  • [H-O-A] H-O-A

I was always saying that WOT has a very weird skill to achivement distribution.

if you separate the skill spectrum into 10 ranks in most games rank 6 would be seeing slow improvement in stats and acheivements and ranks 8-10 very rapid, while rank 5 and below stays the same or drops. In WOT however I feel like you are either skill rank 9-10 or you dont get any visible progress in anything.

r00barb #16 Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:51 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27533 battles

View Post8126Jakobsson, on 01 June 2019 - 11:36 AM, said:

This notion I don't understand. From where comes this belief in how one marks a tank? It's quite a common one, for some reason, but that's not the way of the mark.

From watching people three-marking tanks, whether in battles or on streams. Sure, there are really good players (mainly the streamers) who could probably get the three marks by parking their tank on its roof and going AFK in half their battles but the majority of my direct personal experience is with the sit-back-and-farm variety.

It's a reward for damage, whether delivered directly or indirectly. The easiest way to achieve that is to farm it. Win rate, team satisfaction, enjoying a good game regardless of the outcome and whatever else are all secondary concerns to damage farming.

But like I say, I'm not an expert in this area and I'm always happy to change my opinion if presented with sufficient evidence to the contrary so please, feel free to educate me. :)

Signal11th #17 Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:57 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 44293 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL

View Postr00barb, on 01 June 2019 - 11:51 AM, said:

From watching people three-marking tanks, whether in battles or on streams. Sure, there are really good players (mainly the streamers) who could probably get the three marks by parking their tank on its roof and going AFK in half their battles but the majority of my direct personal experience is with the sit-back-and-farm variety.

It's a reward for damage, whether delivered directly or indirectly. The easiest way to achieve that is to farm it. Win rate, team satisfaction, enjoying a good game regardless of the outcome and whatever else are all secondary concerns to damage farming.

But like I say, I'm not an expert in this area and I'm always happy to change my opinion if presented with sufficient evidence to the contrary so please, feel free to educate me. :)

Its actually harder to 3 mark by redlining, much easier to 3 mark with lots of spotting/assist damage.. Take a look at this one, fairly easy to do at tier 8

http://wotreplays.eu...ion_mk_5_1_raac

Edited by Signal11th, 01 June 2019 - 12:57 PM.

r00barb #18 Posted 01 June 2019 - 01:04 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27533 battles

View PostSignal11th, on 01 June 2019 - 11:57 AM, said:

Its actually harder to 3 mark by redlining, much easier to 3 mark with lots of spotting/assist damage.

I didn't say red-lining, I said second line. I don't mind discussing points I've made but I'm not entering into a discussion on points I didn't mention.

8126Jakobsson #19 Posted 01 June 2019 - 01:08 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 78842 battles

View Postr00barb, on 01 June 2019 - 12:51 PM, said:

Sitting safe in the back will not gain you much assist (which on the low end should count for 25% of the mark) and you might miss out on some good damage both in the front where your buddies are but also later when/if the team advances from there. It's very inefficient.  

edit: which streamer(s) marks his tank that way?

Edited by 8126Jakobsson, 01 June 2019 - 01:11 PM.

r00barb #20 Posted 01 June 2019 - 01:15 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27533 battles

View Post8126Jakobsson, on 01 June 2019 - 12:08 PM, said:

Sitting safe in the back ...

Again, I'm not going to engage in a discussion about something I didn't say because it better suits the argument you want to make.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users