Please allow nearest enemy indicator back into the game

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

HassenderZerhacker #1 Posted 02 June 2019 - 01:41 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 31030 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

The nearest enemy indicator has been banned in the latest update of rule clarifications.

I think this was a bad move, because the nearest enemy indicator allowed me to gauge if I had been proxy spotted or not and if I was still being proxy spotted.

Proxy spotting is an artificial and unnatural game mechanic - why should someone be spotted at 49m but not at 51m ??

The nearest enemy indicator was useful to counterbalance that arbitrary proxy spotting distance.

EDIT:

there is one very good argument why there should be such an indicator: if the tank spotting me is within proxy spotting range, I am spotting it too, and I should be able to tell !

but if someone else on my team has LoS on that tank, I am at a disadvantage because I can't tell whether it's within my OWN proxy spotting range or not. totally illogical.

Edited by HassenderZerhacker, 02 June 2019 - 02:56 PM.

Stevies_Team #2 Posted 02 June 2019 - 01:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12452 battles

All mods should be banned

Vanilla client only

At the very least, mods users should be on a separate server away from proper players

WoT stats aren't worth spit while mods are allowed and some of the ones in use up to now have been nothing more than cheat hacks

Slyspy #3 Posted 02 June 2019 - 01:54 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14699 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostHassenderZerhacker, on 02 June 2019 - 01:41 PM, said:

The nearest enemy indicator has been banned in the latest update of rule clarifications.

I think this was a bad move, because the nearest enemy indicator allowed me to gauge if I had been proxy spotted or not and if I was still being proxy spotted.

Proxy spotting is an artificial and unnatural game mechanic - why should someone be spotted at 49m but not at 51m ??

The nearest enemy indicator was useful to counterbalance that arbitrary proxy spotting distance.

You could get a mod which shows a 50m radius around your tank on your map (I don't think it is an option in vanilla). Does the same thing but better and is legal. 

r00barb #4 Posted 02 June 2019 - 01:56 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27533 battles

View PostHassenderZerhacker, on 02 June 2019 - 12:41 PM, said:

If you're proxy spotted, so are they. Look at your minimap more often.

Bracciano_gatto #5 Posted 02 June 2019 - 02:32 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2916 battles

Damm, someone lost their advantage over other players !

LOL

undutchable80 #6 Posted 02 June 2019 - 02:48 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 11642 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSlyspy, on 02 June 2019 - 01:54 PM, said:

You could get a mod which shows a 50m radius around your tank on your map (I don't think it is an option in vanilla). Does the same thing but better and is legal. 

This. This is an easy fix that could be added to the vanilla cliënt.

Mimos_A #7 Posted 02 June 2019 - 02:51 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29141 battles
  • [SPESH] SPESH

View PostIf_I_Die_You_Die_Too, on 02 June 2019 - 01:47 PM, said:

Vanilla client only

At the very least, mods users should be on a separate server away from proper players

WoT stats aren't worth spit while mods are allowed and some of the ones in use up to now have been nothing more than cheat hacks

Yes, cause screw me and the MASSIVE ADVANTAGE the custom reticle I use gives me. Also DAMNED be all those CHEAT HACKERS that don't want their garage to look like a turd with annoying sounds for some event and use a mod for that.

Disgusting, simply disgusting.

HassenderZerhacker #8 Posted 02 June 2019 - 02:52 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 31030 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

in most situations I get I don't have line of sight to the tank spotting me, but my teammates have.

can't see the circle on the map

13:54 Added after 1 minute

View Postr00barb, on 02 June 2019 - 01:56 PM, said:

I don't care if they still are proxy spotted, because my teammates have LOS.

I mean, if they are within my proxy spotting range, I should be able to tell, or not ???

PowJay #9 Posted 02 June 2019 - 03:16 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 39864 battles

View PostMimos_A, on 02 June 2019 - 01:51 PM, said:

Yes, cause screw me and the MASSIVE ADVANTAGE the custom reticle I use gives me. Also DAMNED be all those CHEAT HACKERS that don't want their garage to look like a turd with annoying sounds for some event and use a mod for that.

Disgusting, simply disgusting.

It's even funnier than that. He considers himself a "proper player". :teethhappy:

ExclamationMark #10 Posted 02 June 2019 - 03:27 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16788 battles
  • [IDEAD] IDEAD

Vanilla client only

Let me guess, mods are the reason you lose games? :)

Dorander #11 Posted 02 June 2019 - 03:51 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21025 battles

The entire spotting system is "an artificial and unnatural game mechanic", just like various other aspects of the game. Why should someone be invisible that you have a clear line of sight to, just because the distance is 446m and not 445m? The game is rife with examples designed for gameplay and not realism. This is not a simulator.

I'm no fan of proximity spotting either, especially in cases like Mines where the height difference makes it all the more wonky, but it's not that difficult to deal with. I used that closest enemy mod for a bit as well, it was distracting and when you stop using it as a crutch and learn to pay attention to your surroundings and the minimap, you actually become a better player overall as it helps you develop situational awareness. The 50m circle mod helps but even without it there's an easy way to gauge whether or not someone is at risk of proximity spotting you: it's 50m, on most maps that's half a minimap square.

Cobra6 #12 Posted 02 June 2019 - 04:19 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16506 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Just get a minimap mod which has the 50m circle around your tank, problem solved.

If you REALLY can't judge distances properly.

Cobra 6

Propjesschieter #13 Posted 02 June 2019 - 04:28 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 3983 battles

If you are proxy spotted so is your enemy or there could be a bug in the game, a replay would help with that. But my best guess is that someone else spotted you from a disctance >50 meter.

onderschepper #14 Posted 02 June 2019 - 04:31 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2168 battles
  • [BOF] BOF

This functionality is provided within the Settings menu - and always has been.

Settings --> General (Tab) --> Scroll down to "View Range Indicators on the MiniMap" (Right side).

Select desired option/s.

[ ] Show the View Range Circle

[ ] Show the Maximum Spotting Range

[ ] Show the Draw Circle

:)

Propjesschieter #15 Posted 02 June 2019 - 04:35 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 3983 battles

View Postonderschepper, on 02 June 2019 - 04:31 PM, said:

Settings --> General (Tab) --> Scroll down to "View Range Indicators on the MiniMap" (Right side).

Select desired option/s.

[ ] Show the Draw Circle

Those circles are not the 50m proxy spot circle.

NekoPuffer_PPP #16 Posted 02 June 2019 - 04:35 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 34123 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

Vanilla client only

Um, uhh, while I completely agree with you, I still want visual mods to stay, like garage UI for example. :hiding: There's this GuP garage UI mod which gives everything a blue accent and it looks gorgeous, WoT would be just plain old WoT without it... I like the blue style.

Select desired option/s.

[ ] Show the Draw Circle

Incorrect. The 50m radius circle is a mod and was never in the vanilla game.

You named 3 circles, one for view range, one for the spotting cap (445m) and one for draw distance. Proxy spot would be 4th, but there ain't one.

BlackBloodBandit #17 Posted 02 June 2019 - 04:37 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6296 battles

View Postr00barb, on 02 June 2019 - 01:56 PM, said:

This is not always true. I've had this in the past, that I was on a position behind cover and I got spotted, while no one could have gone around me to spot me, or else my allies would have spotted him. Must have been a bug, but in theory it should be like this.

Propjesschieter #18 Posted 02 June 2019 - 04:40 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 3983 battles

View PostBlackBloodBandit, on 02 June 2019 - 04:37 PM, said:

This is not always true. I've had this in the past, that I was on a position behind cover and I got spotted, while no one could have gone around me to spot me, or else my allies would have spotted him. Must have been a bug, but in theory it should be like this.

TOP of your turret sticking out can be enough to be spotted.

Homer_J #19 Posted 02 June 2019 - 04:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32362 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

EDIT:

there is one very good argument why there should be such an indicator: if the tank spotting me is within proxy spotting range, I am spotting it too, and I should be able to tell !

You can always tell if you have proxy spotted someone, especially if you have 6th sense.  And it's not hard to judge 50m even with the vanilla minimap.

View PostBlackBloodBandit, on 02 June 2019 - 04:37 PM, said:

Then you weren't proxy spotted.

It works both ways, if they are proxy spotting you then you are proxy spotting them since it works on a simple 50m rule.

Slyspy #20 Posted 02 June 2019 - 04:44 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14699 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Select desired option/s.

[ ] Show the Draw Circle

As mentioned that does not include the 50m circle. Also those options have not always been in the game - they were introduced because they were popular mods, no idea why the 50m one wasn't added as well. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users