Why nobody really likes RANKED battles?

Ranked battle

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

FireWhip #1 Posted 02 June 2019 - 11:35 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 72157 battles

Ranked battles are indeed a very special mode. Why?

A) It is mostly because of the fear of lost “chevron“. This cripples the game mode and makes it absolutely disgusting.

B) You compete not only against the enemy team but also against your own team (for kills, for damage, for XP) – and this is what is fundamentally wrong with the Ranked battles. This is a TEAM GAME, WG, not egoistic neanderthal seal clubbing game !!!

So what have I seen during playing Ranked battles?

1) Kill stealing – kills are are a way too overrated in my view, damage is also important.

2) Obj 430U (10500 WG rating) camping on Airfield at the base and sniping, in the end we lost but he could keep his chevrons. Luckily, I, since I was a bit more active, could also keep my chevrons. But we lost the game also because a very good player snipes from the base (and he was at the base all the time!!). This is not how it should WG !!! Some kind of coefficient for the number of driven km should be introduced for medium tanks. And spotting as well!!! What if there are no scouts? And spotting should be also for heavies – they are first to enter the enemy lines with their armour!!!

3) Shot stealing – I am aiming and this idiot rams into me, moves in front of me and shots instead of me to the enemy. The most neadertal and egoistic nature comes to the surface of the people when they start playing this mode.

4) Obj 279 (WG rating almost 11 000) goes to the middle of Lakeville, makes 178 damage, kills in 1 tank and dies. And we lose because this brainless 279 did not go to the city. And all those players with WG rating above 10 000 in their overpowered Chieftains with ZERO damage at the end – this happened too.

5) You rarely see paper tanks – why? Every shot is valuable and most of people will shoot gold ammo, and thus you are dead very fast unless you are a very skilled player but even that is not always the guarantee that you will not die especially if you will be forced to fight from a close distance and this can easily happen (maps are simply too small). And with paper medium tanks it is hard to get extra XP points if you do not ding enemys shots. But more to this topic later on.

6) There are only a few good positions for meds and other tanks on the maps and suddenly 3 or 4 tanks are fighting for the same position instead of spreading oin the map.

7) In many cases one team rushes one side, kills 5 tanks and the rest is over because 10 vs 15 is not a game. Sometimes 30 seconds hesitation cost a game because there is no commander for this playing mode as it is in Clan Wars. And then everybody runs away to preserve chevrons – this is not the game which is enjoyable WG !!!

8) You loose loads of silver credits because you will be more or less forced to shoot gold. And many complaints about it ...

9) I have asked several players during the battles if they like playing Ranked – NOBODY liked it !!! You play because you want awards but after 2 or 3 weeks long grind everybody is basically over-tanked and wants to vomit just by looking at the game. There is also John Wick and Godzila in the cinemas, a dinner with friends, a girlfriend waiting for you ... And one day after Ranked battles are over comes The Frontlines mode which is another boring grind (WG please make at least one more map for this playing mode because Frontlines are simply BOOOOORING).

So how to make the RANKED playing mode enjoyable, also for less experienced players who could learn a few things in Ranked by playing with more experienced players without being disgusted by loosing Chevrons.

1) Remove “Lost Chevrons“, and make necessary to gain more Chevrons to progress to Rank 15, but NO lost chevrons. Right now progress can be slow (and frustrated ) because you loose a few chevrons. My proposal is the following:

Winning team:

Positions 1-3: say 4 Chevrons

Positions: 4-7: say 3 Chevrons

Positions 8-10: say 2 Chevrons

Positions 11-12: say 1 Chevron

Positions 13-15: say 0 Chevrons

Loosing team:

Positions 1- 3: say 2 Chevrons

Positions: 4-10: say 1 Chevrons

Positions 11-15: say 0 Chevrons

WG can calculate how many Chevrons would be needed to progress to get to Rank 15.

In the proposal bots and very bad players will make very little progress, but those who understand the game a bit will progress without frustration and more joy. And I believe people would also be more using normal ammo and play Ranked really for enjoyment. Good players will still meet good players as they progress, and worse players will meet their worse opponents as they progress through the ranks.

2) Remove some maps from Ranked battles – e.g. Highway and Live Oaks are particularly disgusting maps for the Ranked battles.

3) Introduce some positive coefficients for paper tanks so that people would be playing them. Not only overpowered Chieftains and Obj 279 and Obj 907 and Obj 430U etc. You got the picture I believe ...

4) Introduce extra XP points coefficients for spotting by medium tanks and heavy tanks, less than for light tanks but still, and when there are no light tanks in the game then increase these coefficients close to light tanks. Spotting is important.

These are just a few suggestions but please I would appreciate your feedback !

Edited by FireWhip, 02 June 2019 - 11:55 PM.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #2 Posted 02 June 2019 - 11:48 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

Or you could simply ignore the mode until it naturally expire. Every mode designed around ruthless grinding and forcing people to a certain play style met the same fate!

FireWhip #3 Posted 02 June 2019 - 11:58 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 72157 battles

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 02 June 2019 - 10:48 PM, said:

Or you could simply ignore the mode until it naturally expire. Every mode designed around ruthless grinding and forcing people to a certain play style met the same fate!

I remember the silly grind for T22 med - never participated and in the end WG nerfed the T22med  beast because so many people (and very good players) got it only by cheating (playing with their friends on both sides to get the missions done) because the missions to get the tank were absolutely disgusting.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #4 Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:21 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

View PostFireWhip, on 03 June 2019 - 02:58 AM, said:

I remember the silly grind for T22 med - never participated and in the end WG nerfed the T22med  beast because so many people (and very good players) got it only by cheating (playing with their friends on both sides to get the missions done) because the missions to get the tank were absolutely disgusting.

You see people often remember the fun modes or the historical events. Events like the Chaffee races, the Convoy and the dark front focus on having fun with little emphasis on the rewards. Yet they're the most successful, i wonder why!

Homer_J #5 Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:28 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32425 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostFireWhip, on 02 June 2019 - 11:35 PM, said:

Winning team:

Positions 1-3: say 4 Chevrons

Positions: 4-7: say 3 Chevrons

Positions 8-10: say 2 Chevrons

Positions 11-12: say 1 Chevron

Positions 13-15: say 0 Chevrons

Loosing team:

Positions 1- 3: say 2 Chevrons

Positions: 4-10: say 1 Chevrons

Positions 11-15: say 0 Chevrons

Didn't we already go through something like this?  The trouble with giving losers chevrons is that it encourages playing to lose but be top of the team.  On the other hand giving no chevrons to the losing team was demoralising.

Fact is that the individual input in WoT is too small to be measured properly over a few hundred battles,

the_nebuchadnezzar #6 Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:37 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 54388 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
Snowflakes generation strikes again. So, winning or loosing... doesn't matter, everyone gets a chevron. Cause loosing chevrons is hurting little Jimmy's feelings and we can not have that. Also, we should all be friends and, instead of fighting in our tanks, we could use them to fight climate change and income inequality...

Aliati_1945 #7 Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:38 AM

Private

• Player
  • 8194 battles
  • [C-B_M] C-B_M

because losing progress with this rate is just disgusting. Its already bad enough that if you dont perform you dont progress...but regress is too much

Because this loss is HIGHLY dependant by team MM. Basically if you get losing team you have great chances to lose progress just because of this.

Because due to all from above is something like : 1 step forward and then 2 steps back. Thats beyond being annoying

Because its P2W due to ammo.

Because tank balance is trash mainly due to ruski junks

Because feels more like CounterStrike, not a game with tanks...

Because current maps are way too small for 30 tanks in one battle

Edited by Aliati_1945, 03 June 2019 - 12:39 AM.

FireWhip #8 Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:58 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 72157 battles

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 02 June 2019 - 11:21 PM, said:

You see people often remember the fun modes or the historical events. Events like the Chaffee races, the Convoy and the dark front focus on having fun with little emphasis on the rewards. Yet they're the most successful, i wonder why!

Yes, the Chaffee races were fantastic - I was less experienced player than but what a joy it was !!!

06:02 Added after 4 minutes

View Postthe_nebuchadnezzar, on 02 June 2019 - 11:37 PM, said:

Snowflakes generation strikes again. So, winning or loosing... doesn't matter, everyone gets a chevron. Cause loosing chevrons is hurting little Jimmy's feelings and we can not have that. Also, we should all be friends and, instead of fighting in our tanks, we could use them to fight climate change and income inequality...

Looks my dear that you did not get the point. This is not a snow flake generation, loosing Chevron encourages BAD play !  And this is the problem. And it appears that you have not read the full post at all otherwise you would have another view. I would like to see your performance in Ranked, how much time you spent and how much you enjoy it !!! And have you heard of the positive feedback loop? You train animals (and a human is an animal from what I see in the game) with encouragement and not with pain and demoralisation because one day they will refuse to play and then you and WG will have nothing to say. Cheers !!!

fwhaatpiraat #9 Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:07 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 58686 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
Just don't play ranked battles if you don't enjoy them.

undutchable80 #10 Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:15 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 11703 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

What is Ranked…?:amazed:

:trollface:

chainreact0r #11 Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:43 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 34660 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE

View PostFireWhip, on 03 June 2019 - 06:58 AM, said:

Looks my dear that you did not get the point. This is not a snow flake generation, loosing Chevron encourages BAD play !  And this is the problem. And it appears that you have not read the full post at all otherwise you would have another view. I would like to see your performance in Ranked, how much time you spent and how much you enjoy it !!! And have you heard of the positive feedback loop? You train animals (and a human is an animal from what I see in the game) with encouragement and not with pain and demoralisation because one day they will refuse to play and then you and WG will have nothing to say. Cheers !!!

It seems to me that not losing chevrons defeats the purpose. There are two possible scenarios that can happen, if WG implemented what you described.

1.The reward system is the same, meaning you can get the tier 9 tank(what i think most people are going for) just by rushing everytime. Play 1k battles and you get to rank 60 no problem, just a matter of time really, so everyone gets the tank which defeats the purpose of ranked and the rewards only going to the good players.

2. They adjust the rewards so points are given for the efficiency you gain, instead of just reaching rank 60 3 times. But if they do that, nothing changes. People are going to play in the exact same way they are playing right now in order to have a higher efficiency. Basically the same thing as a current version, just that -1 = 0 and 0 = 1.

Bottom line, you can't have a system which rewards good play without having selfish people creating a toxic environment. You can only choose one. Quality gameplay where everyone gets rewarded(so like a marathon) or rewards only for "best" players with toxic gameplay.

Geno1isme #12 Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:06 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 48124 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View PostFireWhip, on 03 June 2019 - 12:35 AM, said:

1) Remove “Lost Chevrons“, and make necessary to gain more Chevrons to progress to Rank 15, but NO lost chevrons.

Nope. WG should remove the whole chevron crap completely, it is a toxic system by design, no matter how you adjust the distribution.

kikispas #13 Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:44 AM

Private

• Player
  • 19723 battles

Another solution should be to increase the number of shields. Add 1-2 before rank 10, and 1 more on rank 13.

And maybe, allow a bit more people on loosing team not to loose chevron, ex: 1st win a chevron, 2-7 loose nothing, 8-15 loose 1.

Japualtah #14 Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31788 battles

View Postthe_nebuchadnezzar, on 03 June 2019 - 12:37 AM, said:

To be honest, that's how it should be.

I don't know how old you are, what you've been through, I just know that reality hits you really hard at times.

I sincerely hope you don't understand how hard I mean. I truly do.

When logging into a game, players, especially elders like myself who have come to know how futile it is to bang your head against what should be entertainment, expect some form of gratification.

There is none in ranked battles for my kind of - paying - customers.

So, if I may say quite friendly, don't be too quick to lecture your fellow tankers about their attitude.

chainreact0r #15 Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:28 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 34660 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE

View PostJapualtah, on 03 June 2019 - 10:20 AM, said:

When logging into a game, players, especially elders like myself who have come to know how futile it is to bang your head against what should be entertainment, expect some form of gratification.

There is none in ranked battles for my kind of - paying - customers.

Yep, maybe ranked are not for you. If so, if you have come to know the futility of banging your head against entertainment, why keep doing it? 

Why not enjoy randoms like you have always done(i assume) up until now, and continue to do so after ranked ends. Why not ignore ranked completely and enjoy randoms even more since the tryhards are playing ranked, so it's even easier for you to kill the rest of the noobs who play randoms still.

Edited by chainreact0r, 03 June 2019 - 10:29 AM.

eldrak #16 Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:37 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 51226 battles
  • [GR-W] GR-W
With how hard they made unlocking the reward vehicle (pretty much impossible for average players) I foresee a large drop in participants the future two times we get to play ranked.

Kartoshkaya #17 Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:41 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27383 battles
  • [HAPY-] HAPY-
Played some games with ht and med. Everyone is camping, so the best chevron farming class is naturally spg. Getting insulted every games but also getting chevrons every games.

Mode himself is okay, meta is pretty bad, but rewards are nice. Will keep getting insulted in arty since it's the most efficient way to grind chevrons.

BlackBloodBandit #18 Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:47 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6354 battles

View PostFireWhip, on 02 June 2019 - 11:35 PM, said:

2) Remove some maps from Ranked battles – e.g. Highway and Live Oaks are particularly disgusting maps for the Ranked battles.

Because you don't like to play on those maps, they are bad for that mode? It's the same as on randoms: people prefer some maps over others, but that doesn't mean they are bad. Live Oaks, for example, is one of the few maps that are still playable after winning 1 side. You can get to td positions without getting killed and still not being able to spot them.

Hunter98X #19 Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:55 AM

Private

• Player
  • 13350 battles
  • [JBAIT] JBAIT

I think the mode is good, but the chevron loss is painfull!

Even if you do your best to shoot a lot of dmg and win games it won't help if you team sucks or the opposite team has chieftans and 279e's.

I think the reward for performance is good but the chevron loss is too painfull. I hope they will bring more 'shields for more levels'. (2 for level 5, 2 for level 8 etc). This way it will be smaller steps and after like 2 hours of ranked when you reached the level where you are kindoff save because of the shields it really feels you have progressed and / or had fun :).

To remove the chevron loss completely? no, that is not the purpose of ranked, it would become a grindfest , and i think Frontline is a grindfest already ;). It's a different event from fronline, let's keep it that way! 

Kartoshkaya #20 Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:07 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27383 battles
  • [HAPY-] HAPY-
Oh also wanted to add, matchmaking players in qualification with players in first League is a really bad idea since low level players will struggle even more to rank up. MM should only pick players around the same rank, but I guess there's not enough players.

Also tagged with Ranked battle

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users