• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

Wolf9090 #1 Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:18 AM

Private

• Player
  • 9080 battles
  • [D4CE] D4CE
Watch this    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMzL77s7afU&t=628s 

Edited by Wolf9090, 03 June 2019 - 09:21 AM.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #2 Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:30 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

The underlying self doubt is extremely interesting. Could be plain frustration with WG but there should be a fail safe somewhere that didn't work!

Rozbrus #3 Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:36 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12331 battles
Just watching it. If it is true, then we can not trust a single word from WGs mounth.

Jauhesammutin #4 Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:40 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23618 battles
  • [FAUF] FAUF

View PostRozbrus, on 03 June 2019 - 08:36 AM, said:

Just watching it. If it is true, then we can not trust a single word from WGs mounth.

What is true? That an online game might have some lag? Oh my god, what a surprise!

7thSyndicate #5 Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:43 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 46932 battles
Potato servers / voice delay not everyone has the same internet provider

gpalsson #6 Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:49 AM

General

• Player
  • 24508 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostJauhesammutin, on 03 June 2019 - 08:40 AM, said:

What is true? That an online game might have some lag? Oh my god, what a surprise!

View Post7thSyndicate, on 03 June 2019 - 08:43 AM, said:

Potato servers / voice delay not everyone has the same internet provider

Did you even watch the vid?

Some of them switched sides and stopped "lagging".

I don't know what is happening but it sure looks weird if this isn't just some prank.

I mean yes it's very unscientific how this is tested and surely it could be a coincidence or prank or whatever but you must admit if you take it at face value it does look weird.

A much better test is needed to prove anything, but again...it seems pretty weird. And if anyone but skill would make the vid I doubt anyone would believe it.

Edited by gpalsson, 03 June 2019 - 09:56 AM.

UrQuan #7 Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:49 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21336 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostRozbrus, on 03 June 2019 - 09:36 AM, said:

I suspect you talk about the fire countdown? Should be easy to test. As other commenters have remarked, the countdown has a ton of lag to work with, hence the video-maker always shoots first (rest has to wait till they hear the countdown finish on voicechat, then press button & then the server reacts, so it will definately lag behind the countdown guy firing)

If the delay is really there, it is easy to test by using the ingame timer & agree to shoot when it hits a certain number (0 or something)

theVenom #8 Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:50 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 33799 battles
I guess the most of you have not watched the whole video. At one part you hear the click of the mouse and a second delay to the shot. I don't want to say that it can be pinned down to skill, but something is seriously wrong here!

fwhaatpiraat #9 Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:58 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 58686 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

FINALLY. After all those years. FINALLY. Finally the trick of blue and purple players has been discovered.

Spoiler

Balc0ra #10 Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:59 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 72874 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Thing is that this game is sever run. So there will be server to client delays visually regardless. But is the hit delayed too? I've seen skill and circon several times. Tho not during the current patch. No lag.

But they only tested the visual delay, as in the firing. As the shell on your client is always behind the shell on the server etc. As is the shell traveling when you click regardless of the visual delay. Or does it start to travel when the delayed firing is done visually too? Basically does the targets, as in skill get hit before he sees the fire? Even with a delay, or after. That they did not test that well. Only the visual by firing in the air. As when they killed him, the hits seems to register before the firing on some. Tho that was at close range.

As if it's the hit vs visual delay. Then it won't matter. Then again it could be common lag... that most only notice when they fight "unicorns" vs tomatoes. As then that delay won't matter, and won't be noticed. And thus they focus on what they do notice instead. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 03 June 2019 - 10:04 AM.

Nethraniel #11 Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:03 AM

Major

• Player
  • 14542 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
For more testing, wouldn't be a test match without voice-command for countdown and also larger distances including direct shooting at targets that can register hits be more useful. Especially when everyone in the match activates replays, and the replays are distributed to other players for review?

FataL_ShadowZ #12 Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:11 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10737 battles
In b4 topic locked for unconstructive anti-WG propoganda! :popcorn:

olmocap #13 Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:20 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16182 battles
  • [7SENS] 7SENS

Well, to be fair no one of us has been there so there are 2 options:

1: It's a joke of a poor sense of humour, but still a joke.

2:He is really talking serious

We cannot tell wich one is of those because we are not in that clan but if he is speaking seriously and his clan mates are shooting on 1 then he has already shown they own good performing PCs, wich negates any argument about their performance.

Knowing that there are only 2 options wich are: the server's fault or they are just joking.

Now, if they are not joking (I hope they are) then we have to compare it with that video, with people having good performing PCs too and everyone shooting at the same time and only after comparing we can tell (if they comfirm it's not a joke) if the server is underperforming at times or it is underperforming for the adversaries of certain people.

Nethraniel #14 Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:37 AM

Major

• Player
  • 14542 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postolmocap, on 03 June 2019 - 10:20 AM, said:

Well, to be fair no one of us has been there so there are 2 options:

1: It's a joke of a poor sense of humour, but still a joke.

2:He is really talking serious

We cannot tell wich one is of those because we are not in that clan but if he is speaking seriously and his clan mates are shooting on 1 then he has already shown they own good performing PCs, wich negates any argument about their performance.

Knowing that there are only 2 options wich are: the server's fault or they are just joking.

Now, if they are not joking (I hope they are) then we have to compare it with that video, with people having good performing PCs too and everyone shooting at the same time and only after comparing we can tell (if they comfirm it's not a joke) if the server is underperforming at times or it is underperforming for the adversaries of certain people.

The power of their respective gaming rigs is the least problem. What ISP do they use, how is the overall connection to the servers, are there any other processes running, that can interact with this. Is the twitch/voice/video software doing anything to the situation? This needs much more testing in a much more controlled and planned manner. Counting down while recording a video on a closed training map is not fully reliable. Not enough data for that to be honest.

KillingJoker #15 Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:41 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 40006 battles

Using lag to cheat in online multiplay has been used for years, i remember when i used to play PES, many years ago (more than 10 years ago) the game was split in 2, and the first half would be played from my computer as a server, and then the second half would be played from the opponent computer as server... i would play my half ok...

and then in second half the opponent player would use a torrent client to make his own connection laggy and basically make the game unplayable for me.. and win.

Obviously this is not comparable because its  the own WG server, there is no direct p2p, but still i think there is still people (specially the ones who are network experts)

who can trick the server and use lag to their own favor, i am not saying skill do it... but others might do it...

In PUBG per example, having the best connection doesnt give you bennefits over people who have bad connection....quite the opposite its more harder to hit someone lagging, because the calculation in the server will be distorted compared to what you see in the screen... 

Wot Is still a slow paced arcade game and this wont be very significant in most scenariums... but i am 100% sure this is real and some people do it on purpose to win.

Edited by KillingJoker, 03 June 2019 - 10:41 AM.

Slyspy #16 Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:45 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14699 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostKillingJoker, on 03 June 2019 - 10:41 AM, said:

In PUBG per example, having the best connection doesnt give you bennefits over people who have bad connection....quite the opposite its more harder to hit someone lagging, because the calculation in the server will be distorted compared to what you see in the screen... 

Whereas if you are the player lagging like crazy it becomes really easy to hit the player with a good connection, right? :sceptic:

Laur_Balaur_XD #17 Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:45 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 37107 battles
  • [CTRL-] CTRL-

People live in different places and have various internet providers and connection speed. Also using a voice count-down is just adding to the existing lag.

For  more accurate result they should:

- shoot at a precise moment of the in-game clock (shoot at 14:30, shoot at 14:00, etc.) , this will remove some of the delay caused by differences in connection speed

- actually see who is shooting first and who last, and make them switch sides and see if things improve or not

- measure the lag that every participant has and see how much he delays the shot, measure that in miliseconds or something

LATER EDIT: - also put them in a battle without the streamer, and see if they have the same lag or not

Edited by Laur_Balaur_XD, 03 June 2019 - 04:47 PM.

Nethraniel #18 Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:47 AM

Major

• Player
  • 14542 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostKillingJoker, on 03 June 2019 - 10:41 AM, said:

Using lag to cheat in online multiplay has been used for years, i remember when i used to play PES, many years ago (more than 10 years ago) the game was split in 2, and the first half would be played from my computer as a server, and then the second half would be played from the opponent computer as server... i would play my half ok...

and then in second half the opponent player would use a torrent client to make his own connection laggy and basically make the game unplayable for me.. and win.

Obviously this is not comparable because its  the own WG server, there is no direct p2p, but still i think there is still people (specially the ones who are network experts)

who can trick the server and use lag to their own favor, i am not saying skill do it... but others might do it...

Wot Is still a slow paced arcade game and this wont be very significant in most scenariums... but i am 100% sure this is real and some people do it on purpose to win.

This is how client side calculation games work, so it is client to server to client, where client A tells client B via the server, where and what player A is doing. WoT with its server side calculation is only depending on the client to server connection. If player B is lagging, player A sees a static target rather than a rubberbanding hard to hit target. Rubberbanding can only happen if the server lags.

theVenom #19 Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:49 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 33799 battles

View PostNethraniel, on 03 June 2019 - 09:37 AM, said:

The power of their respective gaming rigs is the least problem. What ISP do they use, how is the overall connection to the servers, are there any other processes running, that can interact with this. Is the twitch/voice/video software doing anything to the situation? This needs much more testing in a much more controlled and planned manner. Counting down while recording a video on a closed training map is not fully reliable. Not enough data for that to be honest.

But shouldn't a problem with the corresponding ISP lead to a constant visible lag via the latency shown in the game. But this one dude said he has 40ms and still a lag of a second.

Slyspy #20 Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:52 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14699 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PosttheVenom, on 03 June 2019 - 10:49 AM, said:

But shouldn't a problem with the corresponding ISP lead to a constant visible lag via the latency shown in the game. But this one dude said he has 40ms and still a lag of a second.

We know precisely nothing about his equipment or connection. His ping might be fine but he might have packet loss through the roof, for example. 

Also tagged with What is this ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users