Suggestion to fix the annoyance of stun

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

chainreact0r #1 Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:22 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 34660 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE

I just thought about this 5 minutes ago, so hear me out.

Using the medkit just to remove the 16 seconds of stun seems almost like a waste, since if you are trading at the time there is a really high chance of losing another crew member, and that is extremely frustrating.

How about whenever you are stunned, if you use the medkit you are not only healing your crew, but you also apply the inspire buff from frontline for the duration of the stun you received, plus half the duration as dropoff. 

This way smart arty players will shoot isolated campers who can't make much use of the inspire, while potato arty will still shoot at the aggressive players thus actively contributing to their team's downfall. Especially when three good players push together on a flank and get inspired for 20 seconds for free. that is more or less gg and it's wholly the fault of the 44% potato who can't play a normal class as it should be (playing badly should be punished the same way regardless of class).

So let's count the problems getting fixed here:

1. Using the medkit when you get s***ted on feels rewarding and relieves some of the steam caused by the dirty clicker.

2. Arties who do not play into their intending role(countering camping) and shoot aggressive tanks will screw over their own team.

3. Chokepoint brawls will be more dynamic since most arties will still shoot at groups of tanks, giving everyone a surge of performance incentivizing aggression.

4. People will start grouping up and moving together to get the benefit of the inspire for as long as possible, instead of everyone staying spread for fear of arty fire.

5. Pathetic bushwankers camping in base will get punished since they are more likely to be left behind in case their team's push succeeds, and will get overwhelmed before having a chance to fire if the situation is reversed.

You could argue that i am delusional, and i am overestimating the changes the inspire buff could do, and the gameplay will still be the same. You could also argue that this change would piss off arty players and steve the IS-7 since it complicates the game too much, or that this will result in even more roflstomps than we have right now.

However that is why i am posting this on the forums, meaning to discuss the possibilities.

Edit: Maybe giving it to all your allies it would be OP, how about consider it a personal inspire only.

Edited by chainreact0r, 03 June 2019 - 01:03 PM.

Geno1isme #2 Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:03 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 48124 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

No, getting a buff by being shot is just wrong. Esp. as this goes completely against the whole concept of the stun mechanic to slow a push down, you're suggesting that "smart" arty players should not help their actively fighting teammates but focus on enemies that are out of game already. Great idea to make the game more toxic and make armor even more dominating.

If you modify the idea so that the medkit gives you a stun immunity (and maybe even reduce further incoming HE damage) for say 60 seconds rather than an actual buff, that's something I'd support.

Wotaholic #3 Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:55 PM

Private

• Player
  • 14160 battles
  • [SWRM] SWRM

Let me get this straight,

Your enemy has a Chieftain sitting hull down on a ridge (say Westfield, heavy flank), toying with your heavies positioned under his 10° depressed gun and impenetrable turret.

then your ally SPG player would either, depending on his level of IQ=WR%:

- Shoot the Chieftain = activate the inspire when kit is used and subsequently buff his DPM (to the excess of 3200) and his squad on that flank.

- Ignore him and abandon the heavy flank completely 

- switch to another flank and look for campers to target.

- Chase a Light making a spotting run at 70-90 Km/h

Is that right?

chainreact0r #4 Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:02 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 34660 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE

View PostGeno1isme, on 03 June 2019 - 12:03 PM, said:

No, getting a buff by being shot is just wrong. Esp. as this goes completely against the whole concept of the stun mechanic to slow a push down, you're suggesting that "smart" arty players should not help their actively fighting teammates but focus on enemies that are out of game already. Great idea to make the game more toxic and make armor even more dominating.

If you modify the idea so that the medkit gives you a stun immunity (and maybe even reduce further incoming HE damage) for say 60 seconds rather than an actual buff, that's something I'd support.

It's not toxic because arty still fits the intended role. It's just that the first time you get hit by arty you get a power surge. But the next time you get stunned, you will still be stunned just like it is right now. Or if the 2nd arty shoots, it still does the damage, but your inspire nullifies the second stun.

chainreact0r #5 Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:27 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 34660 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE

View PostWotaholic, on 03 June 2019 - 12:55 PM, said:

- Shoot the Chieftain = activate the inspire when kit is used and subsequently buff his DPM (to the excess of 3200) and his squad on that flank. buff only him only after the first shot. 2nd arty shot will stun as usual

- Ignore him and abandon the heavy flank completely just shoot on that flank over and over until he can get people stunned

- switch to another flank and look for campers to target. no need, see points above

- Chase a Light making a spotting run at 70-90 Km/h if he does that he will buff the light, giving him more manuevrability and view range, gimping his team

Basically shooting at mediums who are trying to peak aggressively and spot will only make it worse since their view range will be buffed significantly hence the only targets arty should shoot at are brawling heavies and camping TD's just as it was intended.

Geno1isme #6 Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:42 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 48124 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View Postchainreact0r, on 03 June 2019 - 02:02 PM, said:

It's not toxic because arty still fits the intended role. It's just that the first time you get hit by arty you get a power surge.

Doesn't matter if it's a one-time thing or repeatable. Shooting enemies should never ever cause them to become stronger than they were before, it turns the whole game concept upside down. Esp. in the late-game this would be absolutely fatal.

But yeah, there definitely won't be any toxic cases of "f4ckin arty m0r0n, why did you shoot that tank so he could spot/hit/out-DPM/outmaneuver me?!?!?" ....

chainreact0r #7 Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:51 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 34660 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE

View PostGeno1isme, on 03 June 2019 - 01:42 PM, said:

Doesn't matter if it's a one-time thing or repeatable. Shooting enemies should never ever cause them to become stronger than they were before, it turns the whole game concept upside down. Esp. in the late-game this would be absolutely fatal.

But yeah, there definitely won't be any toxic cases of "f4ckin arty m0r0n, why did you shoot that tank so he could spot/hit/out-DPM/outmaneuver me?!?!?" ....

And yet if you bait an enemy to bounce you, you suddenly become stronger, since he is on the reload and you are not. Good players might intentionally sit in the open to bait the arty to shoot them, and then gain an advantage. More or less the same thing. Evening out the odds with the pathetic and skillless clickers. 

And this feature might not be as fatal in the late game as you might think. Remember arta also does damage. And in the late game people will have less hp. So what if you buff someone by 15%, when you leave them one shot for your teammates?

Of course there will be toxic cases like you mentioned, but it will be just a drop in the ocean of toxicity that is already present. Like TD's teamkilling lights who are properly spotting, people calling other people hackers because they peaked with their sides and got permatracked, and many other examples of stupid people making idiotic mistakes and blaming anyone/anything else but themselves.

Edited by chainreact0r, 03 June 2019 - 01:54 PM.

Wotaholic #8 Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:10 PM

Private

• Player
  • 14160 battles
  • [SWRM] SWRM

View PostGeno1isme, on 03 June 2019 - 01:42 PM, said:

^^ this better explains the Chieftain example I mentioned earlier.

Also what do i do when WG asks me (forces me) to do missions such as "stun 3 enemy tanks in one shot x3 times"?

It means, I will look for a cluster of heavy tanks and buff them all together versus my own allies.

I understand your frustration at SPG's, the stun is so annoying but so is a hull down Chieftain/Super Conq. So SPG's are a necessary evil I am afraid.

It's nearly a complete game overhaul you are suggesting but the solution in my opinion is just out there:

- Limit the amount of SPG per battle (3 is way too much).

- Introduce a SPG shell with special characteristics that detonates upon contact of ANY surface = Shell will NEVER penetrate the tank's armor no matter how thin or thick it is, rather splash and stun only.

Amount of splash DMG, Gun Reload and stun duration can then be balanced patch by patch depending on the stats.

vasilinhorulezz #9 Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:24 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28027 battles
No.

barison1 #10 Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:34 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 43719 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
removing arty and remaking them into TD sounds good to me, fixes most issues instantly :great:

Geno1isme #11 Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:36 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 48124 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View Postchainreact0r, on 03 June 2019 - 02:51 PM, said:

And yet if you bait an enemy to bounce you, you suddenly become stronger, since he is on the reload and you are not.

Simply No: The enemy reload status has no impact on your own stats, it just provides you with an opportunity. You're not going to suddenly spot anyone else or reload faster just because someone bounced at your armor.

Just like when arty hits you and you use your medkit you have a window of opportunity before arty can hit you again (assuming a single-arty game).

Good players might intentionally sit in the open to bait the arty to shoot them, and then gain an advantage. More or less the same thing.

Which would be completely retarded, and not even close to comparable. Why make it dependant on enemy arty at all, just add a new consumable that allows you to trade HP for a better crew ...

And this feature might not be as fatal in the late game as you might think. Remember arta also does damage. And in the late game people will have less hp. So what if you buff someone by 15%, when you leave them one shot for your teammates?

It's mostly RNG if that artyshot will kill a wounded enemy, or just stun him and give him a massive boost. Of course that is very situational, but often enough it could make a critical difference: Should arty shoot the spotted enemy in an attempt to cripple/kill him, or is the risk of just stunning+buffing him too high as it might give him a critical advantage over your remaining teammates? That would be just awkward.

pecopad #12 Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:47 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29283 battles
  • [UGN] UGN
Am I the only one that finds DAMAGE much more annoying that stun. I have no problem with Stun... you can stun me at will,if you do not do any damage.

Edited by pecopad, 03 June 2019 - 02:48 PM.

LCpl_Jones #13 Posted 03 June 2019 - 04:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13020 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postbarison1, on 03 June 2019 - 02:34 PM, said:

removing arty and remaking them into TD sounds good to me, fixes most issues instantly :great:

do we need 10 more 'poosheds' :trollface:

Suurpolskija #14 Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:45 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 22821 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI
So, this would make shooting your own team actually beneficial. Interesting. 

barison1 #15 Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:19 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 43719 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostLCpl_Jones, on 03 June 2019 - 04:41 PM, said:

do we need 10 more 'poosheds' :trollface:

make them shitty so no one plays them either :trollface:

Bordhaw #16 Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:27 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 14894 battles

View Postchainreact0r, on 03 June 2019 - 10:22 AM, said:

I just thought about this 5 minutes ago, so hear me out.

Using the medkit just to remove the 16 seconds of stun seems almost like a waste, since if you are trading at the time there is a really high chance of losing another crew member, and that is extremely frustrating.

You could argue that i am delusional, and i am overestimating the changes the inspire buff could do, and the gameplay will still be the same. You could also argue that this change would piss off arty players and steve the IS-7 since it complicates the game too much, or that this will result in even more roflstomps than we have right now.

I didn't even notice that "stun" was still even a thing....

Zylon0 #17 Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:39 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 9765 battles
To the OP. And your suggestion would improve the life for arty players... How?

SnowRelic #18 Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23954 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I would just remove arty. There are rumors that would bring world peace and end hunger in Africa, so remove arta right now.

gav00 #19 Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:59 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10678 battles
Or just remove the stun mechanic completely and return to a day when in the event arty misses, he actually misses.

bitslice #20 Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:50 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23946 battles

No

I only play arty so I can vent my frustration upon 56% players sealclubbing in Tier VIII,

by following them around the map until they die.

If they weren't nerfed then I'd probably still bother to play them properly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users