Object 268 Line - Tragically Obsolete?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:28 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 30631 battles

Hi Guys,

Maybe you can help me by stopping me wasting my time grinding out this current TOTT Russian TD line or alternatively, give me some feedback as to why it's worth it and still a relevant bunch of TD's in today's meta and vs the current opposition.

Here's my overview so far from my limited experience with them, having only recently unlocked the T8. The SU-100 is one of my most favorite TD's in the game, for T6, it's very destructive and the big gun is both a novelty to have a 390 alpha gun at T6 but it also has a combination of very usable attributes which combine to be a really fun little TD aka, decent view range, decent gun arch to work with, good camo and decent mobility in the shape of traverse, p/w and top speed which allows it get to where it needs to get to, relocate just about acceptably if you can read the battle well plus the +-12 deg of gun arch makes that big wobbly handling 122mm boom stick just about manageable to make it a feasibly usable weapon and a really fun TD overall therefore.

Then came the T7. Grind is now complete, T8 unlocked and a fair sample size of battles to reflect on the experience. 58 battles 71% win rate, 3+ destruction ratio and take a look at the screenshot, when using the top gun, the 122mm, you have a tank with over FOUR THOUSAND DPM!!! 4k+???? Insane right? well.... yes and no... mostly no. I hate this tank, it's what I would consider a trash TD. The good win rate is just one of those things, it happens but in reality this TD is only averaging 1.3k per battle which imo is trash for that DPM and this is around an average damage I suspect is fairly common since it only took a 2k dmg battle to ace this tank. Just to remind everyone, an Ace is averaging xp better than 99% of others who use the same tank... so it's trash.

Now how on earth could I call a 4k+ dpm TD trash you may ask? Simple, while the dpm gets a X2 boost over the SU-100, and is frightening when you think it's a T7 tank with a 390 alpha gun that reloads less than 6 seconds, it takes a step backwards in other key areas. The mobility is trash, the tank is based on a KV-1 so the p/w ratio takes a big drop and you'll be drooling around the map at 25-35kph and it takes a lot of time to achieve that abysmal speed which means you're never really able to get anywhere soon enough, be it to attack or retreat etc, just hasn't the speed. This means you miss out on a lot of action and makes it a pretty dull and frustrating tank to play based on that alone. But it doesn't stop there, the traverse is HIDEOUS and from what I can see, continues as far as tier10, which means that even when you finally drool your way up onto that TD hill, you have to wait an age to actually turn your dumb TD around to face the correct way, now you guys can imagine all the scenarios in which that brutally slow traverse creates the MOST fun experience ever. It still gets worse lol, so added to the horrible p/w, speed and traverse you also get +-8 degrees of gun arch... sweet mother of God.... I don't even need to expand much more on that but when you have a big wobbly slow aim, donkey gun with slow shell velocity the last thing you need is the requirement to constantly traverse your poorly traversing hull because you keep running out of gun arch to lead shots or because the target happens to move just slightly either way lol... it's brutal.

Then comes the guns, 2 choices really, and to even more accurate, 1 gun choice, the 122mm top gun which reads a frightening DPM, you're talking a 390 alpha gun like an Obj 430 but this thing reloads in under 6 seconds with all the boosters available, crazy amount of fire power, but, for reasons stated above, that's not how it actually plays out and again, it only took 2k dmg to ace this thing so that means pretty much everyone is only getting poor damage returns with this TD and the highest I managed was a pretty sad 3.3k dmg round... on a few occasions, even though I took enough shots and even hit enough targets to get 10k if the forking thing wasn't such a useless donkey of a thing. And there's other reasons for that too, it misses a lot, a hell of a lot. It just hasn't the aim time, accuracy, gun arch, gun dep or shell velocity to make this a reliable or actually usable long range sniper and it really only can afford to be a ranged sniper. I would have loved to have used this thing as a brawler, like a Chinese WZ but there's just no way in hell it ever can be since it has no mobility making it an easily evaded and flanked target but more importantly than that, it has no forking armor worth mentioning so for all those reasons you're forced to sit back with this thing and just keep chucking shots down field, maybe some will land but 4k+ dpm is in truth more like 500 dpm since most will miss and of those that do land, this tank has another Achilles heal, the penetration. 175mm and most sad of all, 217 premium pen. This is more than fine at T6 against most targets outside of T8 heavies but at T7, it just doesn't work a whole lot and what that means is this tank is also a very expensive to run low damage experience in frustration. I hit the front of a Russian T-10 about 6 times, full gold and only on the 7th shot did one finally manage to pen. Now, the T-10 heavy tank hasn't great frontal armor but this gun cannot reliably pick out weak spots and hitting the tank at all was a miracle in itself lol... now imagine fighting Superheavies and T9 heavies heavies too, meds with strong turrets of which there are many, basically anything of a around 200mm effective armor or sloped and this TD is boned. 

So play the 152mm derp gun with HE then right? Wrong. Worst experience ever, honestly. Horribly slow reload, that same terrible gun arch which forces regular hull traverse sending an already laughably huge dispersion circle out to the size of Jupiters diameter, most shots will miss and when you do finally land one, you can expect 235 dmg or some sad sh*te like that since this cannot flank and so will only really be targeting slow heavies coming down corridors frontally in which case you won't ever pen any of them outside of a 1 in 100 RNG lucker. HEAT is 250 pen and good but again, this doesn't seem to find frontal spots of heavies where it goes through and most likely misses, hits a gun or hits a track since again, the accuracy isn't there for picking out cupolas or lower plates. Sure, now and again, you get the odd LOL blind shot on a SkorpG or light tank. Overall though, all guns are bad, the 122mm is the best of them but it's nothing much fun to use either, struggles to hit targets outside of heavy tanks which it struggles to pen, is expensive for poor damage returns and just to seal the fun, it also has a low ammo capacity lol.

Now, from what I can see, this pi*s poor mobility, traverse, gun arch, donkey gun handling etc seems to continue up the tiers so what I want to know is, why bother? Do these TD's get better in a way worth mentioning and overall are they actually viable, fun and worth it? Whichever tier that may be... T9? T10? Not impressed so far I must say and so until I read any positive feedback on these higher tier options, I will leave the grind there and not bother. 

Thanks.

7thSyndicate #2 Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:38 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 46932 battles
268 line is a dead meme

zankos_BZH #3 Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:41 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29163 battles

They can be played melee( tier 8/9/10), which is fun, require some brain cell (#JustTradeShotWithBiggerAlpha)

Obj 268 is very good at HE spam because of damage/reload speed.

Dava_117 #4 Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:41 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 22512 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

SU-152 with the 152 gun is one of the most fun TD to play. You have to mix the supporter role, shooting HE at the well armoured tanks, with the first line brawler, where HEAT and AP works too.

The 122mm gun may have all the DPM you want, it can't reliably pen anything. Bad choice.

ISU-152 is actually faster, comparable with IS or IS-3 mobility wise. It packs a 750 alpha gun, with workable pen (260) that works well from mid to short range. BL-10 was better, but that is what we have now. Being russian, I hope they may buff it back one day.

704 at tier 9 is probably the pinnacle of the tech tree. The BL-10 shine in all it's glory, with more than 3k DPM (vents+rammer, still miss BiA), 286 pen AP round, a 320mm+ gun mantlet and the IS-3 black hole spaced armour extending on the front too! Really a nice tank.

Don't have the 268, many says it's bad so I have not bought it yet. May give it a try if I get enought money before the month end.

Edited by Dava_117, 03 June 2019 - 12:42 PM.

fwhaatpiraat #5 Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:47 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 58686 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

SU-152 is called SU-152 for a reason ;)

I pretty much exclusively played it with the derp gun. 50/50 HE/HEAT loadout. It basically is a much better KV-2, but withouto a turret: https://tanks.gg/tan...=kv-2&cl=41211c

Tier 8 ISU, haven't played it in a while. If you don't like base camping, you probably don't like it. Gun hits hard, but in the end it's a clumsy vehicle facing much stronger vehicles than the tier 7 SU. Tier 9, 704: I'm not a fan of it. Gun is not accurate enough to snipe, vehicle is not mobile enough to flank and such. Turns like a boat (slower than a T95), which is the biggest weakness for me. You won't hit the wheeled vehicles. Used to be stronger in the past, since not so many fast vehicles were around. Don't use it as a sniper from 500m distance.

At tier ten is the 268. Honestly, I quite like it nowadays. Used to be horrible for a long time (after inital nerf (6?) years ago). Has plenty of mobility, shell velocity is much better than it used to be. Gun arc is wider so you your aiming circle doesn't get massive all the time. Add to tthat it has a great choice of shells. HE used to be my standard shell (before buff) since AP was so slow and unreliable, 1100 dmg HE shells is just really nice. Now that is different and I vary between AP and HE mostly. 395 HEAT shells work really well against super heavy tanks. Ofcourse it still lacks a turret, but the vehicle is quite playable imo. Not as bad as some people make you believe. Still clumsy at ridges though.

chainreact0r #6 Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:12 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 34660 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE

Check my stats in the 704 and 268. They are from years ago when tier 10 TD's had 850 alpha. Ah those were the glory days. *wipes tear from the corner of the eye*. Have two games in which i won 1v4 in the 268. In one of them i got 10 kills, platoon mate got 2, which gave my third potato teammate with 0 damage crucial contribution. It used to be invisible, smack hard and pen anything. Now with power creep it's just a ghost of it's former self.

I still take the 268 for a spin from time to time, but it has nothing special for a turretless TD. Just decent all-round. It has pretty good accuracy for a russian tank and decent DPM with trollish armor. It' more or less the same thing as the other tanks in the line, but at tier X. I still like it, but i also like Leo 1 in its current state, E5, T57, E-100 so maybe my opinion is not entirely relevant.

Edited by chainreact0r, 03 June 2019 - 02:16 PM.

vasilinhorulezz #7 Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:22 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28027 battles
Not really good, E3 and V4 are way better assault guns, if you want something competitive, and if you want a fun tank, FV4005 is probably the best.

Zodiac1960s #8 Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41510 battles
They should give the 268 back the 850 alpha and a little more gun depression.

woolfie #9 Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:32 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 49718 battles
Sold my obj 268 and obj 704 a few years ago. Not a single tear shed and never a thought given to them. To be fair to both beasts they used to have 9/10 Fear Factor and served well - back in their day.

TungstenHitman #10 Posted 04 June 2019 - 03:18 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 30631 battles

Thanks guys I guess I'll leave the grind there then. These TD's and that playstyle is not for me. Thing is, if you want a devastating derp TD for lols, play a Hetzer would be my opinion and you can reliably 1 shot tanks a hell of a lot more along with actually having some bouncy armor. Tier4? Meh... it's all relative for what you are looking to do which is 1 shot tanks for lols right? For higher tiers I have found the T49 derp hard to beat for outright big alpha lols and unlike the sad ISU line, the T49 is a fast mobile platform boasting decent light tank camo that can actually get the weak HE pen values on the rear of tanks where it can pen a hell of a lot more frequently and reliably along with from almost unmissable ranges where you literally plant that derp gun up the other tanks backside whereas with the the inaccurate slow aiming TD, more luck than anything. You could settle for the 700 alpha HEAT I suppose but... hardly the devastating 1000+ alpha module busting, ammo rack popping, fuel tank igniting crew incinerator you were wanting and tbh, it shouldn't have that ability to do that to armored tanks frontally with HE since that would make it a laughably broken/OP tank so... ya just not for me. At least I got some crew trained up nicely from it all anyway and can pop them into some other Russian tank. :)

Edited by TungstenHitman, 04 June 2019 - 03:19 PM.

gunslingerXXX #11 Posted 04 June 2019 - 03:48 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 12794 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

As mentioned above, the 152mm is the way to go IMO. Switching to AP for medium armoured tanks can really hit them by surprize, intuition skill is actually usefull on the SU-152.

If you like dpm and the 122mm, the SU-122-44 is a better choice.

Dava_117 #12 Posted 04 June 2019 - 03:53 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 22512 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Also take in mind that just the SU-152 is a Derp tank. From tier 8 to 10 you have good alpha AP gun with the option to load effective HE to fight hulldown tanks.

lnfernaI #13 Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:53 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33970 battles
no you will grind,i refuse to let you stop suffering.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users