• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

undutchable80 #1 Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:21 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 11703 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Hiya tankers!

I originally posted my below-mentioned question in the correct sub-forums, but I have a feeling only a handful of forumites dwell down there, so I repost my question here. I will add a link to the thread in the sub-forums, feel free to answer here, or there. 

@ mods: please leave this post in the Gameplay section for 24 hours or something like that before moving it / merging it wih my initial post pls. Thx. :great:

Hiya tankers!

First off, the previous thread on this tank is over a year old, so didnt want to necro it and decided to start a new one. 

Secondly, I got myself my second Tier X with Black Market (the other one being the Centurion AX during TotT in April) - had over 32 mil saved up, so why not :justwait:. I am a Tier X noob (only played half a dozen games with the CAX) and I dont see that changing soon, since I struggle enough at T9 I want to get better at that tier first. However, I do plan on playing the FV a couple of times, since I am stuck on TD-15-3 and so I could use your help on how to equip and play this thing in the current (2019) meta. 

- What ammo loadout do you use? 10/10/0? 5/10/5? Full gold noob? (Is the 'regular' HE worth carrying?) 

- What equipment do you use? Vents, GR and GLD? 

- I am going up the UK TD line via the Firefly, so I cant use the crew right now until I finish that grind and get the Challenger, but they are currently almost done with their second skill. First skill is BiA and second is individual skill. What third skill would you recommend? Recon + Camo? Recon + Repair? Something else?

Any other helpful tips would be appreciated - apart from the "dont play it, it sucks" comments. I will be playing it (not much though), so please help me get the most out of it. :honoring:

Thanks in advance,

~Dutch

Link: http://forum.worldof...4#entry16961844

SharpBlue #2 Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:27 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 63730 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-

I use GLD, Rammer and Bino's/Vents depending on how I feel.

Mostly gold, some AP, large equip, food.

The armour doesn't really work, so stay on 2nd line.

No matter how good you are, you will always have games that either be over before you get to the fight, or all you shots will miss.

I play it for the 1/10 games that you 1 shot everything you hit, then feed off the garage tears.

Quintuss #3 Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:27 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 30292 battles
  • [DIVA_] DIVA_

HE is just a cost-efficent low-pen HESH, so if you don't feel a need to safe silver no need to bring any.

4-5 AP is more than enough - the number of targets where 300 pen is garanteed pen while 230 certainly won't pen is small (keep in mind that you will not hit wreakspots at anything but point-blank range). You reload for ages so basically if your AP isn't a 95% pen play safe and load HESH/HE

chainreact0r #4 Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:58 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 34660 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE

How to FV215b (183)

1. Press 'W'

2. Press 'Left Click'

3. ???

4. Profit(actually -70k credits but #worthit)

On a more serious note, i find the 183 easier to play than the 4005, since you can kind of reliably push with your heavies, and smack side scrappers for 800. Kind of like the old type 5 but without the armor but on the upside you can snipe if you have to. 

Also i have played only 6 games with my 183 and rammed + penned two leopards 1 resulting in full->0 hp in two different games. Made the first game in which i got raped by arta with 0 damage totally worth it.

Edited by chainreact0r, 03 June 2019 - 02:01 PM.

undutchable80 #5 Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:45 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 11703 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Thanks for the replies thus far guys. What about third crew skill? 

SnowRelic #6 Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:28 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23954 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

With a big heavy gun, I'd like to have camo and repairs (and of course sixth sense). Although if you're planning on pushing along with the heavies, I would prioritize repairs over camo, since you'll mostly be spotted anyways and the thing that stops that would generally be hard cover blocking line-of-sight and that doesn't rely on camo.

Just checked the behind-the-scenes dispersions and there's like 0.38 on turret traverse and that drops down to 0.35 with snap shot. Which is still terrible. Panzer 3K levels of terrible (although on that tank it's for moving and tank traverse, but who cares). I would be tempted a bit, but I'd stick to shouting "for Stalin!" first and picking that as a fourth skill.

I remember Alez' playing on the first day with his shiny new, fully HESH-loaded (all 12 rounds) Deathstar. We teamed up with a unicum and we got a match on Komarin. We cornered a JPz E-100. Alez went in like "mine, mine, mine!" and missed the lower plate from like 25m. Then our unicum strode in, didn't go for the face hug, but did aim. Big mistake. The shell went, no one knows where to. So I had to drive around to the back of the JPz and clip it with my 13 90.

tajj7 #7 Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28211 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

How to 183?

You leave it in the garage as its a terrible tank. 

undutchable80 #8 Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:51 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 11703 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSnowRelic, on 03 June 2019 - 10:28 PM, said:

With a big heavy gun, I'd like to have camo and repairs (and of course sixth sense). Although if you're planning on pushing along with the heavies, I would prioritize repairs over camo, since you'll mostly be spotted anyways and the thing that stops that would generally be hard cover blocking line-of-sight and that doesn't rely on camo.

Just checked the behind-the-scenes dispersions and there's like 0.38 on turret traverse and that drops down to 0.35 with snap shot. Which is still terrible. Panzer 3K levels of terrible (although on that tank it's for moving and tank traverse, but who cares). I would be tempted a bit, but I'd stick to shouting "for Stalin!" first and picking that as a fourth skill.

Thanks! 

View Posttajj7, on 03 June 2019 - 10:43 PM, said:

How to 183?

You leave it in the garage as its a terrible tank. 

When the (forum) voice of reason says that, all I can do is: :(

ValkyrionX #9 Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:10 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 52704 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

currently, although I hate vehicles with too long aim time, fv183 remains one of my favorite TD tier X.

I managed to place 2 marks on the gun without too many problems and I can claim to play it decently without firing the HESH at random but aiming as one must always trying to penetrate the enemy tanks to always have maximum damage per shot.

Gaining confidence with the tank over time, it is also possible to understand when it is even possible to take snapshots at certain moments or play in different roles as a first and second line support or in the most classic way as a sniper.

I equipped my FV in this way:

fans
gun layer
gun rammer

ammo:

12 HESH

8 AP

0 HE

consumables

repair kit

medikit

combat rations 

directives:

aiming calibration, or fan cleaning

as crew skill you definitely need, sixth sense to the commander, repairs and BIA and I would also say camo and fire fighting and skills to increase the visual range

these are some of the best games I've ever played with fv183

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4829616#steppes-valkyrionx-fv215b_183

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4715757#pilsen-valkyrionx-fv215b_183

Edited by ValkyrionX, 04 June 2019 - 09:12 AM.

tajj7 #10 Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:41 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28211 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Postundutchable80, on 04 June 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

Thanks! 

When the (forum) voice of reason says that, all I can do is: :(

Ok that was poor of me, I'll try to be more helpful.

I'd go with anything that can help your gun handling, because that is all your tank is a big derpy gun.

So vents, GLD and rammer IMO. Then food, you want BIA on the crew, snap shot, smooth ride, every little helps to improve that gun handling.

Camo is pretty awful, so I'd prioritise repairs over camo, because you will sidescrape a lot and you will get tracked a lot. 

Ammo wise don't bother with cheap HE, you just have accept playing the 183 is a credit drain, I'd go with mainly HESH, put it in ammo slot one for ease of use in case you forget to load it for the first shot, or end up having the switch the reload after like 10s, you don't want to end up seeing like some tier 10 tank that has been tracked in the open and you have AP loaded or you are re-loading your HESH shell, so just move it to the default ammo choice. Then maybe take about 12-15 HESH shells, and the rest AP. AP is useful for end game kill securing and shots against targets you know you can't pen with HESH but will have a chance to aim at.

General playstyle from experience is play close support with heavies, smashing people with HESH shells that probably won't pen, wait for others to take hits, sidescrape out and plant 800 damage into a hull down IS7.  I generally wouldn't snipe with it unless you have to or you have an excellent position with plenty of targets. Not only is the gun massively derpy for sniping so you'll miss lots of shots, but the FV is so slow that if your team starts winning you'll end up trying to chase the game and miss out on damage. Stay near lots of your team, play 2nd line and look for shots of opportunity at close to medium ranges, if you have time to fully aim for a pen do it, but if you are close range then just aim centre-mass and you'll probably hit and you'll cut down on return fire. 

Do not try to tank or take hits, trade yes if its a good idea, like 1v1, especially if there is a chance to pen, but let others tank, the Fv armour is basically not there, its like an E4 or T57 heavy, most people will pen, only rushed shots or rng influenced shots will bounce.

Avoid getting into battle with hull down poking Russian meds, you won't win, you'll poke, they'll slam HEAT into you and pen pretty much anywhere and then pull back before you can ever get a shot, if they hear you fire they will rush you or just spam another 1-2 shots into you before you can pull back.

All in all remember its a situational, one trick pony tank, that will drain your credits. Literally it is bad at pretty much everything, all it brings to the table is very high alpha and the ability to still do large damage to heavily armoured targets. 

IMO if there is one tank in the game that has the highest potential for low or no damage games its the FVs, because in those yolo rush 4 minute games, if RNG says nope, you can get time to maybe fire 3-4 shots at best and if they miss/don't pen get trolled, you can end up with an annoying game.

Its a feast or famine tank, with emphasis more on the latter. Expect 4-5 meh games for every good game IMO. 

Wintermute_1 #11 Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:02 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 50040 battles

The 183 underperforms for everybody, no matter how good you are: Wot-news

I play with vents, rammer and GLD (because aim time is painful). 8/2/10 ammo and a 100% crew with no perks but using a sixth sense directive.

IMO the 183 is fundamentally flawed in that the high reload and high alpha effectively make it a 'peek a boo' gun but the rear mounted turret makes it awkward to pop out and take your 1 shot and also makes playing corners with your team mates difficult. The rear mounted turret also limits the effectiveness of being able to get hull down and benefit from having all the armour on the turret and none on the hull.

The other option is playing at range, but that's compromised by horrible accuracy made worse by horrible aim time. You have to wait the whole 3s aim time to get anywhere near a target at range while remaining undetected because the 183 attracts fire like nothing on earth. 

And despite all that.. can still be quite fun to play.

Sowa_95 #12 Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:22 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 26985 battles

View Postundutchable80, on 03 June 2019 - 01:21 PM, said:

How to FV215b (183)

You don't.

View Postundutchable80, on 03 June 2019 - 01:21 PM, said:

- What ammo loadout do you use? 10/10/0? 5/10/5? Full gold noob? (Is the 'regular' HE worth carrying?) 

- What equipment do you use? Vents, GR and GLD? 

- I am going up the UK TD line via the Firefly, so I cant use the crew right now until I finish that grind and get the Challenger, but they are currently almost done with their second skill. First skill is BiA and second is individual skill. What third skill would you recommend? Recon + Camo? Recon + Repair? Something else?

- 4-5 APs rest gold HE. You won't be making credits with it anyways, so just have fun.

- just like you said

- BIA, then snap shots/smooth drive/sit awareness, then repairs. You dont' need camo for Badger and anything that is before it. Badger actually has good base camo values, so the skill improves it a lot. But it shouldn't be a priority, since it is not a redline sniper. If you are doing FV 4005, go for camo. Now shitbarn has no camo at all, but it will be useful on lower tiers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users