Best Way To Deal With T95/FV4201 Chieftain ?

ranked

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Minio #1 Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:13 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 43361 battles
  • [AVIT] AVIT

The time is running out and I'm about to enter first division and I expect to see even more Donquerors on the battlefield, and it begs a question... How the hell can I fight against this abomination?

I'm playing mostly with Speghetto 65, which has 330 gold pen and on the attached picture you can see my usual "problematic situation".

Is there any kind of trick we "normal" players can do to apply hurt on those bastards? Preferably without dying in the process :P

Attached Files

• Attached File   Annotation 2019-06-07 070655.jpg   78.93K

NUKLEAR_SLUG #2 Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:17 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33821 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
Play arty. :)

Minio #3 Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:22 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 43361 battles
  • [AVIT] AVIT

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 07 June 2019 - 06:17 AM, said:

Play arty. :)

Then you have a guaranteed lost chevron on a lost battle.

While playing fast meds you can work your way out of losing a chevron when your team is steamrolled.

HundeWurst #4 Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:25 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 75365 battles
  • [FAME] FAME
You don't. War gaming's balancing at its best... Try to avoid positions where other chieftains might end up showing up.... Play weird style. Even though that can backfire quit hard if you are not considerate

Minio #5 Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:31 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 43361 battles
  • [AVIT] AVIT

View PostHundeWurst, on 07 June 2019 - 06:25 AM, said:

You don't. War gaming's balancing at its best... Try to avoid positions where other chieftains might end up showing up.... Play weird style. Even though that can backfire quit hard if you are not considerate

That's pretty much what I'm doing but if I don't fight them, they always melt my team...

At the end of League 2 it's pretty much "whoever has more chieftains, wins".

ValkyrionX #6 Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:11 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 51419 battles
  • [NOPAS] NOPAS

Simply you cant if the enemy FV4201 is in hulldown position and you don't have the chance to fight it in other ways

the "cupola" on the turret probably equilave at about 5 pixels of weakspot and it is not even possible to damage it with the HE due to the really thick armor of the whole frontal part of the turret , moreover, beyond the turret also the upper front part of the hull with that extreme level of inclination favoring the rebounds of certain calibers and substantially it allows to export you more and to use the depressions of the ground more aggressively than a tank like the Super Conqueror.

Then they say that 279 is op, it seems to me, even to what I see in the ranked, that the higher you go up in level and you see less 279 and more fv4201 and with truly superior results

I also used the 279 for the ranked but I have to say that fv4201 is really superior and more versatile .. and in hulldown it's really something absolutely monstrous and meaningless

EllemennT #7 Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:23 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41064 battles
  • [DSTAR] DSTAR

^^ fully agree, I see a lot lesser players in FVs in higher leagues, doing great. It seems to be easy to rank with it, whilst 279e is just to slow, doesn't have the gun depression and gets penned by gold in UFP. 

OP - you just need to catch them off guard, no better tip I can give you I'm afraid. Sometimes pushing the other flank helps a lot. I also play mostly progetto and if I need to fight them I try to track them when they become over-confident or shave as much HP off of them as possible, depending on my current clip potential.

tajj7 #8 Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:34 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27934 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

You can't, you either have to hope you have more of them or hope they make mistakes.

I do see quite a lot of them over peek to show their drive wheels so you can often sneak a shot in there. I have found the UDES quite effective against them because they have APCR premium rounds so I autobounce them (whereas HEAT often pens the turret). 

I have noticed though, that now we are in the later stages, a lot of the T95s seem to gone, I'd presume a lot of owners have finished and have stopped playing as they ranked so easily.

Seeing more normal tanks now, especially around divs 2 and 3 (just got out of 2 last night), lots of Progettos, lots of Bat Chats, I played a few games where I barely used any HEAT, just standard ammo. 

kaneloon #9 Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:51 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 30797 battles
  • [UKN-A] UKN-A

I savagely pirate this thread with a stupid question : which tank would you advise to give ranked a go : 430u, 277, is7, kranvagn ? (I also have t100lt but suck at it, and t110e4 which seems less versatile)

And spotting / tracking give the more XP, that's it ?

ValkyrionX #10 Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:55 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 51419 battles
  • [NOPAS] NOPAS

View Postkaneloon, on 07 June 2019 - 08:51 AM, said:

I savagely pirate this thread with a stupid question : which tank would you advise to give ranked a go : 430u, 277, is7, kranvagn ? (I also have t100lt but suck at it, and t110e4 which seems less versatile)

you have stb1, obj140 and obj277 that are very good tanks imo for ranked battles

obviously also the 430u 

imo the is7 is a tank totally out of meta atm :(

EllemennT #11 Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:03 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41064 battles
  • [DSTAR] DSTAR

View Postkaneloon, on 07 June 2019 - 08:51 AM, said:

​Kran can be good as well, due to the map rotation and maps promoting hull-down. Note there's often 2 arties/game and they love targets like this. 430U is an obvious choice, 277 only if you feel really comfy in the tank. 

Minio #12 Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:06 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 43361 battles
  • [AVIT] AVIT

View Postkaneloon, on 07 June 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

I've tried 430U and I failed miserably due to lack of gun depression and Ranked is all about hills in current meta.

I find Super Conqueror too slow.

I find T110E4 Too soft and too slow

I find Kranvagn HEAT penetration of 300 not enough to be competitive.

I find T100LT not reliable for chevrons, but it can work if you're careful.

I found Projetto best for me because of a cheeky playstyle, in and out fast, accurate, good vision, sometimes you bounce stuff.

Makes it easy to keep chevron on a losing team because as you die you can do extra 1000 damage before you go out.

Conclusion: what you find good is best for you. It's all about matching your playstyle with meta.

Edited by Minio, 07 June 2019 - 09:31 AM.

Dava_117 #13 Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:18 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 22312 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
OP, don't you have any high alpha armoured tank? 150-155mm gun usually have enought HE potential to punch trough the upper turret part. Especially on front sides, where you can splash a 140mm plate, or just under the gun to splash the hull top. I think that already a Bobject should have enough alpha for that. Or maybe the 60tp or E3 in hulldown position.

tajj7 #14 Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:18 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27934 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Postkaneloon, on 07 June 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

Those first 4 would work. Probably 430U is the strongest there. 

View PostValkyrionX, on 07 June 2019 - 07:55 AM, said:

you have stb1, obj140 and obj277 that are very good tanks imo for ranked battles

obviously also the 430u 

imo the is7 is a tank totally out of meta atm :(

STB-1? Can't bounce anything really, gun handling is terrible, not sure how that is viable, even a Cent AX would be better as that is at least accurate and the turret will bounce the odd shot of HEAT.

IS7 does ok because of the turret, IS7s can just dig into spots and bounce all the premium. 

View PostMinio, on 07 June 2019 - 08:06 AM, said:

I've tried 430U and I failed miserably due to lack of gun depression and Ranked is all about hills in current meta.

I find Super Conqueror too slow.

I find T110E4 Too soft and too slow

I find Kranvagn HEAT penetration of 300 not enough to be competitive.

I find T100LT not reliable for chevrons, but it can work if you're careful.

I found Projetto best for me because of a cheeky playstyle, in and out fast, accurate, good vision, sometimes you bounce stuff.

Makes it easy to keep chevron on a losing team because as you die you can do extra 1000 damage before you go out.

Conclusion, it's best what you find good. It's all about matching your playstyle with meta.

Pretty much found the same, though I went with the UDES 15/16.

430U is massively strong but I personally struggle with the gun depression, it can work though I just found I wasn't personally doing very well.

Super Conqueror is now a bad T95/FV4201, and it can't get near clean up damage and it can't fall back if a flank is failing, so you often lose out on chevrons because of that.

Kranvagn like you say suffers from the HEAT pen, even the 310mm on the UDES has issues, so 300 HEAT pen is like 280 AP equivalent and just bounces too much. 

The issue with lights is many of the maps you are basically pointless and hoping that your team wins the brawl, and often teams all go to one spot, so even if you can spot something there is nothing to shoot it. Plus I found playing lights, that all the enemies non-brawling tanks camp super hard, so you go to try spot and there are like 5 Progettos/Bat Chats/Obj. 140s/various TDs camping in base, and with the bushes the way they are, the advantage sits with the camper. So I found you got wrecked, plus they don't have the gun power to snipe reliably 

There basically is no tank like the T95/FV4201, its the perfect tank for a competent players, insanely strong hull down, good gun depression to work most spots, decent alpha, good DPM, good gun handling, APCR for premium and its mobile enough to fall back or keep up with the flow of the battle. 

Nothing really comes close. 

Minio #15 Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:12 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 43361 battles
  • [AVIT] AVIT

View Posttajj7, on 07 June 2019 - 08:18 AM, said:

STB-1? Can't bounce anything really, gun handling is terrible, not sure how that is viable, even a Cent AX would be better as that is at least accurate and the turret will bounce the odd shot of HEAT.

IS7 does ok because of the turret, IS7s can just dig into spots and bounce all the premium. 

430U is massively strong but I personally struggle with the gun depression, it can work though I just found I wasn't personally doing very well.

Super Conqueror is now a bad T95/FV4201, and it can't get near clean up damage and it can't fall back if a flank is failing, so you often lose out on chevrons because of that.

Kranvagn like you say suffers from the HEAT pen, even the 310mm on the UDES has issues, so 300 HEAT pen is like 280 AP equivalent and just bounces too much. 

The issue with lights is many of the maps you are basically pointless and hoping that your team wins the brawl, and often teams all go to one spot, so even if you can spot something there is nothing to shoot it. Plus I found playing lights, that all the enemies non-brawling tanks camp super hard, so you go to try spot and there are like 5 Progettos/Bat Chats/Obj. 140s/various TDs camping in base, and with the bushes the way they are, the advantage sits with the camper. So I found you got wrecked, plus they don't have the gun power to snipe reliably 

There basically is no tank like the T95/FV4201, its the perfect tank for a competent players, insanely strong hull down, good gun depression to work most spots, decent alpha, good DPM, good gun handling, APCR for premium and its mobile enough to fall back or keep up with the flow of the battle. 

How is UDES doing? I thought about getting it for the job but is seems very situational.

tajj7 #16 Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:21 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27934 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostMinio, on 07 June 2019 - 09:12 AM, said:

How is UDES doing? I thought about getting it for the job but is seems very situational.

Its got me to division 1 and has my best WR out of all tanks I have ever used in ranked, above 60% IIRC. 

The HEAT pen is a little meh and thus trolls you at times, probably missed out on the odd extra chevron or saving a chevron cos the gun trolled me a few times. 

But its quite flexible, it can work the ridges like a boss at times and also has the advantage of being able to work spots other tanks can't, which is helpful when everyone is basically in the same bit of the map vying for the same spots. Also T95s and SCs struggle with it because most of it is auto-bounce to AP/APCR so all the APCR they sling does little. HEAT is more problematic, you have to make sure you are above targets so they are shooting up, but you can work ridge areas against Russian tanks really well because you have twice their gun depression. 

But its also decently mobile, climbs hills well, has very good DPM and exceptional camo so I have won a few games basically being the light tank for the team passive spotting as the base camp is so high.

It also doesn't need to bounce for role XP, its role XP comes from spotting, so there is no requirement to brawl, but it can brawl and bounce if there are ridges to use. 

Its not perfect, the gun is not very accurate, the turret doesn't work on the flat against the HEAT spam, and the 310 HEAT is meh, but I found it much more comfortable to play than the 430U, but it has similar attributes (mobile enough, can bounce, 440 alpha, good camo) and its much faster than the SC, those other two were the main options I tried.

I actually really struggled in qualification to get anywhere, but once I switched to the UDES my progression was much quicker, I won more games and my Chevron rate in the tank is probably about 70-80%. 

ValkyrionX #17 Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:10 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 51419 battles
  • [NOPAS] NOPAS

View Posttajj7, on 07 June 2019 - 09:18 AM, said:

the stb1 is not so terrible imo 

EllemennT #18 Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:33 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41064 battles
  • [DSTAR] DSTAR

View PostValkyrionX, on 07 June 2019 - 04:10 PM, said:

the stb1 is not so terrible imo 

I played it in the previous season and even CAX was better ;) 

Ricky_Rolls #19 Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:49 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 72171 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

You pray that the dude doesn't deserve his tank and doesn't know what to do, lmao. In all honesty tho, i've seen the most laughable scenarios in ranked. Malinovka, no arties, 3/4 chieftain in each team, 2 260, the rest was 430u and superconq. When the chieftains and 260 were ahead, nobody couldn't do anything, god bless i had 5 HE. 10s later everybody was shooting HE at eachother, how freaking retarded is that. Meanwhile, there are still peoples arguing about the need of having a "skill based" mm...

So basically, take at least 10 HE in your tanks. 

Edited by Ricky_Rolls, 11 June 2019 - 10:50 AM.

rzepaso #20 Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:04 AM

Private

• Player
  • 62330 battles

press esc -> go to garage -> next battle 

I'm done with this op crapand yes it should be limited to CW like other reward tanks. 

Also tagged with ranked

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users