Training Manuals - The Positives

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:04 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 30631 battles

Just some positive focused feedback having picked up a couple of these after yesterdays launch that may be of use to players as to why and when I feel these are worth buying.

Cost: 2mil credits in exchange for 250,000 crew xp fore each crew member.

First off, keep in mind that this for EACH crew member. It is not 250k crew xp divided between all, it does not mean that a crew of 3 will gain more than a crew of 6, EVERY crew member gets 250k crew xp and keeping that in mind you actually might be cheeky enough to purposefully fill a 6 man crew with blank 100% new crew, gain 250k for each crew man and then retrain them to other tanks. I.E. train 12 100% with just two manuals and split them into 3, 4 crew tanks afterwards.

Anyway, why bother and what's the main advantage? Well, keep in mind this only applies to those with lots of credits that are not going to be too sore about losing a couple of mil now and then.

1. Perhaps like me, you have won a BIA crew like the recent TS-5 marathon(or just have BIA crew). Now, having played so many battles as I have I can honestly say I have no want in me to grind out crew skills from zero but at the same time I don't like the idea of a BIA crew going to waste, in this case, 6 crew, that's a lot. Ok then, so I bought a training manual and bada bing bada boom, I now have 6 BIA crew with a full set of skill or perks including a commander with 6th sense. For me, that makes sense

2. Starting new nations or lines. Again, this makes sense to drop 2mil credits rather than suffering so many frustrating battles with a crew that has no skills and no 6th sense. Obviously 6th sense is ultra important(should be default) but also some tanks and classes really suffer without having camo or repairs so... while yes, you will get there eventually, if you have stacks of credits, why suffer? Just jump straight into a tank with a trained crew ready to start their second set of skills, lovely.

3. It's for credits, not gold. Maybe some might consider it pricey but ultimately this is all technically free to play, this does not cost gold, there's no real world money option(yet!!). So both free to play players and pay to play players can avail of this, but obviously pay to play will be able to do it more frequentl.

4. 2mil credits seems like a lot at a glance but I don't pay to play I use a standard account and I don't think it's hard to rustle up those credits. Why? Easy, I don't find gaining credits all that difficult and here's why.

(1) I win premium tanks. Yup, I have tanks I won from marathons that can be used to both train crews and build credits.

(2) Free premium time. Thanks to those new bonus drops between battles with random content, I pick up free premium time a lot more than I did before, along with PM rewards and promotional premium time that pops up frequently enough. So for me, when I do pick up these free premium days, I just keep the mindset to use the time wisely and spend some of it grinding credits with those premium tanks I have. Don't forget to pop 50% extra credit boosters too which again, all gained for free and I'm sure you have tucked away in your garage. Also, with the new premium account offering, there's some sort of vault that builds up credits which you then get at a later date. 

(3) Background mission. Most of these are rewarded with Large repair, med and auto fire extinguishers. I never use those, I just use the small options and it doesn't take very long for those to build up to sizable numbers that can then be sold for millions of credits.

So all in all, I think they're good and have genuinely gainful applications like starting a new nation or lines, won BIA crew or just finishing off a crew you don't have the time for and would like to see starting their next set of skills etc. I don't think the price is bad for reason given. You don't really need to go mad buying lots, just be sensible and on crew that you feel genuinely need it and if you have a lot of credits then I know you certainly won't bat an eye at it. 

Stevies_Team #2 Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12452 battles

The alternatives are grinding for months or paying with gold

Just play and enjoy WoT with a premium account and the credits rack up

Spend those credits any way you like

This new option to boost XP is a very pleasant surprise, racking up a 3 skill crew is a doddle now

For myself it is an incentive to play a bit more

TungstenHitman #3 Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:45 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 30631 battles

View PostIf_I_Die_You_Die_Too, on 13 June 2019 - 10:33 AM, said:

For myself it is an incentive to play a bit more

^

This. There's plenty wrong in this game and new additions that haven't been well received but I'd applaud whoever at WG conceived these new additions of late. When you think about, there are now drops between battles featuring blueprints that are slowly reducing grinds in nations and tanks you might have fancied trying along with blueprints you can construct yourself for tanks you specifically wanted to try or finish the line but wouldn't have had the time or interest in suffering so combined with this new ability to jump crew up some skills without having to suffer a really annoying grind there's never been more incentive to keep playing this game. 

WhoCares01 #4 Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:51 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21395 battles

View PostTungstenHitman, on 13 June 2019 - 11:04 AM, said:

3. It's for credits, not gold. Maybe some might consider it pricey but ultimately this is all technically free to play, this does not cost gold, there's no real world money option(yet!!). So both free to play players and pay to play players can avail of this, but obviously pay to play will be able to do it more frequently.

That's only semi-correct, because it is possible to buy credits directly for real money, like with a Fort Knox, and/or convert gold to credits.

What you mentioned with applying it to full crews gets a special "twist" with n00bs that will apply them to their small 2/3-men crews on tier 1/2/3 - maybe WG should restrict the crew books to tier 5+ tanks.

Balc0ra #5 Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:56 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 72848 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

I like the idea. But the flaw is that if you don't have a crew trained for the tank they are in. Even in a premium tank. It won't work. So if you get a crew from a rental you no longer have. You have to retain them first. And then their base % drops. And then it still won't work as the base % needs to be a 100% too. And if you don't have enough crew XP to get back that % from a skill drop. You behind, vs ahead.

But in general... The small packs is enough to get a new crew to 50% on the first skill. And the 2 mill credit book is enough to get to 50% on the 2nd skill more or less. So if you get a 100% base crew for free. That's a lot of time saved training them up. It's why I have 500+ games in some tier 5 prems like the Matilda IV or Chi-Nu-Kai. As for a long time, they were the only crew trainers around. Not having do play a heap load of games to get ready for a new tier X tank with a fresh crew, or using 48K free XP... Love it.

TungstenHitman #6 Posted 13 June 2019 - 01:55 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 30631 battles

Ya absolutely and don't misunderstand, there are negatives that can be tied to them like anything else. For example, the blueprints and extra xp boosts from having a premium account will mean that there will be lot more low battle count noobs hitting higher tier battles sooner. I don't think that will make much difference personally since a player could fail grind and get there without learning anything anyway and more battles played to unlock higher tier tank was never going to be a difference that would have transformed them into knowledgeable and strong players so... that does't really make much difference imo.

View PostWhoCares01, on 13 June 2019 - 11:51 AM, said:

That's only semi-correct, because it is possible to buy credits directly for real money, like with a Fort Knox, and/or convert gold to credits.

What you mentioned with applying it to full crews gets a special "twist" with n00bs that will apply them to their small 2/3-men crews on tier 1/2/3 - maybe WG should restrict the crew books to tier 5+ tanks.

These crew training books ya I mean they could lead to maybe more players picking up a tier3 seal clubber and jumping a few skills that without this ability might otherwise not have and so wouldn't have bothered? Also maybe you will see a massive influx of re-rolls since you can now cut out the stat hurting and inhibiting crew grinding part of that and immediately buy yourself a 2 skill crew for your E 25 or whatever so there's that, if that's considered negative?

View PostBalc0ra, on 13 June 2019 - 11:56 AM, said:

I like the idea. But the flaw is that if you don't have a crew trained for the tank they are in. Even in a premium tank. It won't work. So if you get a crew from a rental you no longer have. You have to retain them first. And then their base % drops. And then it still won't work as the base % needs to be a 100% too. And if you don't have enough crew XP to get back that % from a skill drop. You behind, vs ahead.

But in general... The small packs is enough to get a new crew to 50% on the first skill. And the 2 mill credit book is enough to get to 50% on the 2nd skill more or less. So if you get a 100% base crew for free. That's a lot of time saved training them up. It's why I have 500+ games in some tier 5 prems like the Matilda IV or Chi-Nu-Kai. As for a long time, they were the only crew trainers around. Not having do play a heap load of games to get ready for a new tier X tank with a fresh crew, or using 48K free XP... Love it.

Well you could always apply a skill book to a crew before you retrain for for free or with credits? Since you can't apply them on a crew less than 100% as you say.

I'll paint a scenario and maybe you guys would know since I don't have a calculator or game client right now. This is for decent gold savings. Take a 6 man crew like a T29 heavy and you want to move them to the next tier. Well, that's 200 gold each X6, 1200 gold, that's a kick in the nuts right there, not to mention maybe resetting skill for BIA too which is, another 1200 gold so 2400 gold, damn... ouch. Yet you have lots of credits. So then, if we were to do this reset and transfer for credits only, or better yet, for free and then use a 2mil 250k training manual, would we actually save ourselves 2400 gold AND get our % of lost crew xp for the reset back again with a training manual, maybe even gain more %? Think of it this way, if you were to reset skills and transfer 6 crew with credits, at 80k each X2, that's ALREADY 960k credits, nearly a mil right there plus you just lost a massive amount of crew training progress too... so if you can do it entirely for the free option and actually still gain crew % from it all, then you've only really spent 1 mil credits on the skill reset for BIA + transfer reset option + still gain some addition crew training instead of either blowing 2400 gold on retrain skills + transfer for keeping crew as trained as they currently are or blowing almost 1 mil credits to reset skills and transfer crew while also losing a hefty amount of crew progress. I think possibly the crew training manual with 250k crew xp for 2 mil might actually be the more logical and economical choice?  

Edit- Don't forget to take a look at your depot for credits too. I was surprised how many surplus pieces of equipment I had to sell. Depends on your playstyle, be careful and I always keep at least 1 of everything but there was things like spall liners and things I just had way too many of I know I would highly unlikely ever use or simply had way to much of I could just sell straight away if needs be for millions. I also tend to keep turrets and modules from tanks I would have once grinded through. Some are universal and worth keeping but there is millions of credits tied up in pretty much trash modules from trashy tanks I will never use again or any time soon lol. You might have a lot more credits available than you know. 

Edited by TungstenHitman, 13 June 2019 - 02:10 PM.

WhoCares01 #7 Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21395 battles
Puh, I guess Schmidty will have some *fun* time and number crunching to figure this stuff out on a new section on crew books for his Crew Skill guide.

Jumping_Turtle #8 Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:21 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 69352 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT
I think my lowest crew has 2 skills. I just play way too much so I will probably save the new ones for any new lines or addings to excisting lines.

Will make a nice start with a new crew when needed.

TungstenHitman #9 Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:45 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 30631 battles
Keepers... forgot about those. Not goal keepers but tanks we liked and enjoyed playing enough that we kept them in the garage. What tends to happen with some of these tanks is you unlock the next tier, move that crew to the next tier tank, stick a 100% crew in the old tank and then when you play it again, it's not really that fun or effective. Not surprising since a good crew is a major part of what makes a good tank a good tank and so the time and interest to grind that crew a set of skills just isn't there. You say to yourself that you'll get back to it but it just never happens and you kinda knew it. With a training manual, that old gem is back in the game and fun again. 

WhoCares01 #10 Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:51 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21395 battles

View PostTungstenHitman, on 13 June 2019 - 02:45 PM, said:

Keepers... forgot about those. Not goal keepers but tanks we liked and enjoyed playing enough that we kept them in the garage. What tends to happen with some of these tanks is you unlock the next tier, move that crew to the next tier tank, stick a 100% crew in the old tank and then when you play it again, it's not really that fun or effective. Not surprising since a good crew is a major part of what makes a good tank a good tank and so the time and interest to grind that crew a set of skills just isn't there. You say to yourself that you'll get back to it but it just never happens and you kinda knew it. With a training manual, that old gem is back in the game and fun again. 

Absolutely. This is probably one of the most important factors why I play very few tanks that I don't actively grind but just sell them all after the grind to the next tank is complete, as it's just to time consuming to train all the crews you would need to man them all, even more so now that I play no longer on a premium account.

Edited by WhoCares01, 13 June 2019 - 02:53 PM.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #11 Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:58 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34085 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

It also gives WG a good way to steadily bleed credits out of the economy in a way that has minimal impact to the core game. 

TungstenHitman #12 Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:02 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 30631 battles

View PostWhoCares01, on 13 June 2019 - 01:51 PM, said:

Absolutely. This is probably one of the most important factors why I play very few tanks that I don't actively grind but just sell them all after the grind to the next tank is complete, as it's just to time consuming to train all the crews you would need to man them all, even more so now that I play no longer on a premium account.

Can even expand on that. For example, I currently have a very good crew in a Pantera that I'll be moving over to a Standard B anytime soon same as what tends to happen with most T8 tanks since T8 tanks tend to have a tough life in random battles bottom tier MM meta but I'd also like to have a few meta strong T8 tanks for Front Lines if I fancy some of that. There's just no way I'd be willing to do so without bringing those crews back from my T9 and T10 tanks nor am I gonna be grinding out skills on a new zero skill crew but now we don't have to, just get a 100% crew for that T8 FL tank, pop a training manual, lets go. 

14:08 Added after 5 minutes

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 13 June 2019 - 01:58 PM, said:

It also gives WG a good way to steadily bleed credits out of the economy in a way that has minimal impact to the core game. 

Totally and pretty transparent too. They obviously sat around thinking up ways(or took ideas from other similar games) in which to address the very obvious concerns that when a player buys all the premium tanks and runs a premium account that with enough time, that player will have a massive amount of credits and technically no longer needs to wallet out for a premium account etc. So by adding these credit munching additions along with Black Market in which a client can purchase a tank for a big stack of credits, they have found player satisfactory ways of draining hefty amounts of credits and perhaps keep that player happy enough and have reason enough to keep running a premium account etc. But these ways are good I think, they are optional and you are parting with credits for something you want and feel value with instead of just adding some broken or OP tank to the game which obviously just annoys everyone and ruins the quality of the game. 

Rati_Festa #13 Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:19 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 49270 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 13 June 2019 - 02:58 PM, said:

Comversely they are now pumping 750k per player a week in credits via the piggy bank. Also lot was mentioned in the black market threads about the tanks being sold for millions of credits and it was emptying the players coffers. The addition of the piggy bank and the platoon boost  for credits doesn't point to a concern about the amount of credits in the system.

The manuals look a good idea though, I plan on starting new nations so I can see the benefits of them for older and newer players.

WhoCares01 #14 Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21395 battles
Well, for me it also goes both ways - I have some tier 10 tanks unlocked but not bought, because I intent to keep the respective tier 9s and thus have no crews for the tier 10s (T49->Sheridan, Obj430->430U, Centurion 7/1 -> AX), as well as two tier 10s unlocked from T-54, with the crew going to Obj140 and none for T62a....
14:27 Added after 1 minute

View PostRati_Festa, on 13 June 2019 - 03:19 PM, said:

Comversely they are now pumping 750k per player a week in credits via the piggy bank. Also lot was mentioned in the black market threads about the tanks being sold for millions of credits and it was emptying the players coffers. The addition of the piggy bank and the platoon boost  for credits doesn't point to a concern about the amount of credits in the system.

The manuals look a good idea though, I plan on starting new nations so I can see the benefits of them for older and newer players.

What's that piggy bank you are talking about? Have I missed something while being away for ~5months?

Gremlin182 #15 Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:37 PM

General

• Player
  • 57896 battles

View PostWhoCares01, on 13 June 2019 - 03:25 PM, said:

Well, for me it also goes both ways - I have some tier 10 tanks unlocked but not bought, because I intent to keep the respective tier 9s and thus have no crews for the tier 10s (T49->Sheridan, Obj430->430U, Centurion 7/1 -> AX), as well as two tier 10s unlocked from T-54, with the crew going to Obj140 and none for T62a....

What's that piggy bank you are talking about? Have I missed something while being away for ~5months?

If you have a premium account for wot there are a few extra benefits you get now

one of them is the reserve stock or as some call it the piggy bank.

Extra credits are put aside into the reserve stock and then added to your ordinary credit balance every 7 days.

I got 247,000 this morning added and playing so far today I have put away 41,676

From the garage go to the top left and click on player account.

TungstenHitman #16 Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:40 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 30631 battles

View PostWhoCares01, on 13 June 2019 - 02:25 PM, said:

True, never thought about that. I only have a small few T10 tanks but actually unlocked a lot of T10, some that would be decent in the rank battle meta but that I'd not really want to move crew from my preferred T9 tanks just to play a few ranked battles. Good spot.

What he means is there's now a vault thingy which accumulates extra credits per battle(a lot actually) when you run a premium account which you then get back at some later date like once a month or something I'm not exact on the % or dates but from my limited experience there would actually be enough for the cost of 2 mil training manual every month so he has a good point. Also, when you run a premium account there is currently a set of 3 easy background missions. One is a good dollop of credits and one is 25 bonds which technically if completed most days would build up to a lot of extra credits and 25X365 days in a year is over 9,000 bonds... now, nobody is gonna be playing WoT 365 days of the year lol but even so, you will still be picking up some for epic medals and battle heroes during some battles too so that might still come to be around 9000 bonds even with weeks missed here and there.

Gkirmathal #17 Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:56 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 8602 battles
  • [2VTD] 2VTD

View PostTungstenHitman, on 13 June 2019 - 10:04 AM, said:

Just some positive focused feedback having picked up a couple of these after yesterdays launch that may be of use to players as to why and when I feel these are worth buying.

Cost: 2mil credits in exchange for 250,000 crew xp fore each crew member.

...snip...

It is indeed good, if you want to train all your crew members at once. For the credits cost of 2 mill it is indeed a really nice perk/feature and a not-in-your-face credit drain.

But personally I would have liked to have seen a crew book, purchasable for credits, for single crew member only. Maybe crew member specific, like only commander or only gunner.

Why? Well personally as a free player I do not mind having to grind xp for crew skills on some crew members. Sometimes I really do wish I could speed up one crew member, mainly commanders tbh. A Commanders Training Manual for instance, that would have been a nice feature.

Edited by Gkirmathal, 13 June 2019 - 03:56 PM.

Jopj #18 Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:43 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 28234 battles
  • [RSOP] RSOP

This is a very big change, 250k exp for 2 mil is a pretty good exchange rate, especially since it doesn't involve any gold or bonds.

I'm a free player with 70 million sitting in the bank. That would allow me to punch up a fresh girl crew to what, seven skills right off the bat? That's huge. From 2011 until now, I have only accumulated one 6-skill crew. That's 8 years of playing! And I could now exceed that with a few clicks. Add to that I can put the ladies into a 6-man tank splurge training on those, then get 2 7-skill 3 man crews out of it, or a bunch of super-commanders.

:amazed:

Jopj #19 Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:06 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 28234 battles
  • [RSOP] RSOP

View PostJopj, on 13 June 2019 - 11:43 PM, said:

Add to that I can put the ladies into a 6-man tank splurge training on those, then get 2 7-skill 3 man crews out of it

Looking into that, two of my favourite tanks (EVEN 90 and batchat) have 3-man crews. The French have one vehicle with a six man crew, the tier 9 artillery. Swapping specialization of one crew back and forth would cost 3000 gold, 1500 if I time it on discount, an amount I have. Plonking eight million seven-hundred-and-fifty-thousand xp onto these two crews at once does have an undeniable appeal.

Now I don't like artillery, but looks like I'll be grinding one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users