What "new thing" does the British lights have?

British Lights

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

boomer1_1 #41 Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:32 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 30935 battles
  • [R-U] R-U

View Postr00barb, on 20 June 2019 - 06:28 PM, said:

I think you're projecting your personal view. How many times have we seen threads bemoaning the state of a new premium tank as either OP (in which case everyone rushes to get one - see Defender, LT-432) or not, in which case fans of the type, line or nation buy the tank but most players don't bother (M41D, HWK 30)? How many players were caught out by the OMG-so-OP hype around the Chrysler K?

Look at the IS-3A; since introduction it was the red-headed stepchild of Russian heavy premiums yet after it was buffed and given the auto-reloader it was the main attraction in Christmas loot box sales and led to a number of complaints about the amount spent on boxes only to be unlucky. Even the Type 59 didn't trade on only its rarity prior to its inclusion in those boxes, that got a nice buff too - look at the number of questions raised at the time about buffing the T-34-3 in a similar fashion.

People say they want to see balanced tanks and while I accept that's true for a minority of players (in which I'm including both of us), it certainly doesn't seem to reflect the wider view whenever a new premium is teased.

They're learning how to drive engagement and attract potential purchasers. "Here's a new premium tank with terrible stats - please buy it" isn't as strong a sales message as, "we listened to testing feedback and revised several parameters on our new premium tank to ensure it's more balanced". Thus the tank gets released in a state that's fairly balanced and doesn't need an OP factor or gimmick to drive sales, players are happier because their perception is that WG are listening to feedback.

Super test has become the start of the marketing process. I'm sure WG will review the testing results and I'm equally sure that most, if not all, testers will say the tank's terrible. Where our opinion differs is that I think WG have intended that from the start. You don't maintain a billion-dollar business without looking at the long game.

This. An excellent summation of a well thought out rationale to present the new way forward from WG marketing. One of the best posts i have read for a while. rOObarb always was a clever dog. Go to the top of the class.

tajj7 #42 Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:58 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29084 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Postr00barb, on 20 June 2019 - 06:28 PM, said:

I think you're projecting your personal view. How many times have we seen threads bemoaning the state of a new premium tank as either OP (in which case everyone rushes to get one - see Defender, LT-432) or not, in which case fans of the type, line or nation buy the tank but most players don't bother (M41D, HWK 30)? How many players were caught out by the OMG-so-OP hype around the Chrysler K?

Look at the IS-3A; since introduction it was the red-headed stepchild of Russian heavy premiums yet after it was buffed and given the auto-reloader it was the main attraction in Christmas loot box sales and led to a number of complaints about the amount spent on boxes only to be unlucky. Even the Type 59 didn't trade on only its rarity prior to its inclusion in those boxes, that got a nice buff too - look at the number of questions raised at the time about buffing the T-34-3 in a similar fashion.

People say they want to see balanced tanks and while I accept that's true for a minority of players (in which I'm including both of us), it certainly doesn't seem to reflect the wider view whenever a new premium is teased.

They're learning how to drive engagement and attract potential purchasers. "Here's a new premium tank with terrible stats - please buy it" isn't as strong a sales message as, "we listened to testing feedback and revised several parameters on our new premium tank to ensure it's more balanced". Thus the tank gets released in a state that's fairly balanced and doesn't need an OP factor or gimmick to drive sales, players are happier because their perception is that WG are listening to feedback.

Super test has become the start of the marketing process. I'm sure WG will review the testing results and I'm equally sure that most, if not all, testers will say the tank's terrible. Where our opinion differs is that I think WG have intended that from the start. You don't maintain a billion-dollar business without looking at the long game.

No I don't think I am projecting at all, I am talking about the general feedback consensus you see on the forums, on videos etc. people want balanced premiums, consistently its complained about premiums are either OP or terrible, which would suggest that players want something in the middle.

And we can see that by when WG do release a premium that is not OP and not terrible, no fuss is made about it, you see very little about it and it still sells decently. 

Just go look at the review vids for any recent premium that is well balanced like say the Lancen C or Caern Ax, or M41D and compare the comments with the one about the Defender, you'll see a stark difference. 

Or go look at the super test thread for the up coming VK 75.01 K (which goes against your theory because its massively OP on initial stats) aside the odd German wehraboo fanbo, pretty much that thread is 3 pages of complaining how obviously too good this tank is.

So I don't really buy your theory on both counts, I don't think people want OP tanks and I don't think WG are marketing crap tanks on super test to buff them to sell them, I think you give them far too much credit, I think they are just really bad at balancing and the marketing department is not involved.

I's also say its another sign of how bad Russian super testers are and that they seem to let through over buffed armoured heavies with ease but let terrible paper mediums and lights remain terrible. I.e. stuff like this new VK, Defender, IS-3A that is all fine and dandy with these Steve super testers, but giving a pesky light or medium good stats is a no no because they might get out played by them. 

I hope I am wrong but I fully expect this British light to remain crap and I fully expect that VK to get released in its current state and it will rival the Defender for OP tier 8 heavy. 

Strappster #43 Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:52 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28729 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View Postboomer1_1, on 21 June 2019 - 07:32 AM, said:

This. An excellent summation of a well thought out rationale to present the new way forward from WG marketing. One of the best posts i have read for a while. rOObarb always was a clever dog. Go to the top of the class.

Thank you.

View Posttajj7, on 21 June 2019 - 07:58 AM, said:

No I don't think I am projecting at all, I am talking about the general feedback consensus you see on the forums, on videos etc. people want balanced premiums, consistently its complained about premiums are either OP or terrible, which would suggest that players want something in the middle.

And we can see that by when WG do release a premium that is not OP and not terrible, no fuss is made about it, you see very little about it and it still sells decently. 

Just go look at the review vids for any recent premium that is well balanced like say the Lancen C or Caern Ax, or M41D and compare the comments with the one about the Defender, you'll see a stark difference. 

Or go look at the super test thread for the up coming VK 75.01 K (which goes against your theory because its massively OP on initial stats) aside the odd German wehraboo fanbo, pretty much that thread is 3 pages of complaining how obviously too good this tank is.

So I don't really buy your theory on both counts, I don't think people want OP tanks and I don't think WG are marketing crap tanks on super test to buff them to sell them, I think you give them far too much credit, I think they are just really bad at balancing and the marketing department is not involved.

I's also say its another sign of how bad Russian super testers are and that they seem to let through over buffed armoured heavies with ease but let terrible paper mediums and lights remain terrible. I.e. stuff like this new VK, Defender, IS-3A that is all fine and dandy with these Steve super testers, but giving a pesky light or medium good stats is a no no because they might get out played by them. 

I hope I am wrong but I fully expect this British light to remain crap and I fully expect that VK to get released in its current state and it will rival the Defender for OP tier 8 heavy. 

At the risk of repeating myself, I think that while some players say they want balanced tanks, more players want to get extra value for their money. Positive comments on reviews for the more balanced tanks don't reflect actual purchases or replace the contrary posts about tanks considered OP.

You're looking at the issue as someone who buys a lot of premium tanks and is heavily invested in the game (not just monetarily). If you're only buying one premium tank, however, why wouldn't you want one that's stronger? Considerably more players fall into the latter category than the former.

I think you're underestimating WG. They didn't become a billion-dollar company by taking shots in the dark and hoping for the best. They've certainly made mistakes along the way, that's only natural, but they've been doing this successfully for long enough that they deserve credit for having some idea of what they're doing.

fisco77 #44 Posted 21 June 2019 - 03:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 79146 battles

View Postundutchable80, on 20 June 2019 - 08:15 AM, said:

Armour: in the middle (so non-existent)

I'm curious what's at the bottom end of that scale, negative armor? 

dex_1950 #45 Posted 21 June 2019 - 03:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 37880 battles
  • [N1GER] N1GER

View PostChull, on 19 June 2019 - 02:59 PM, said:

I'm wondering what is the selling point

You get female crew with Catherine Tate voiceover. :D

undutchable80 #46 Posted 21 June 2019 - 06:56 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13699 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postfisco77, on 21 June 2019 - 03:01 PM, said:

I'm curious what's at the bottom end of that scale, negative armor? 

Skorpion (T7 US TD) armour. ;)

Schepel #47 Posted 22 June 2019 - 12:49 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 66859 battles

View Postdex_1950, on 21 June 2019 - 03:29 PM, said:

You get female crew with Catherine Tate voiceover. :D

That is brilliant.

*bounce* *ain't bovvered*

*bounce* * didn't do that*

*pen* *employee of the month!*

Yea, I would pay money for that.

Dr_Oolen #48 Posted 22 June 2019 - 06:51 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23922 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
Considering the FL reward tank gets permanent extra large repkit (as in 4th consumable, unless i misunderstood WGs shitty post or super shitty completely useless perk of large rep kits costing 0 on that tank) and the ranked reward tank might be getting free extra camo net (just a speculation on my part) i wouldnt be surprised if the thing of these brit lights could be having binos by default as 4th equipment. But tbh even if that was the case the stats would still be super bad and extra binos wouldnt compensate for more than... well, the bad viewrange itself.

dex_1950 #49 Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 37880 battles
  • [N1GER] N1GER

View PostSchepel, on 22 June 2019 - 12:49 AM, said:

That is brilliant.

*bounce* *ain't bovvered*

*bounce* * didn't do that*

*pen* *employee of the month!*

Yea, I would pay money for that.

She is good :) 

Tealo #50 Posted 23 June 2019 - 03:39 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 44897 battles
  • [RIFF] RIFF

View Postfisco77, on 19 June 2019 - 10:02 PM, said:

Tea making facilities :bajan:

What no Bickies??? :( No Custard Creams, Bourbons, Jaffas, Pink Waffles, Jammy Dodgers and Digestives???:unsure: Not  even Rich Tea??? :ohmy:

Really, British tonks with No Bickies!! :facepalm:

Edited by Tealo, 23 June 2019 - 03:40 AM.

vasilinhorulezz #51 Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:56 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29047 battles
Tea making facilities.

Captain_Kremen0 #52 Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:49 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 39622 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

View Posthoveruss, on 20 June 2019 - 12:11 PM, said:

They should work pretty well.

Italian tanks will round on their team halfway thru, swap sides and join the Brits.

German tanks might be a bit rum, but in the end, British pluck will see them off.

The French tanks have already been stolen by the Germans anyway.

Nobody knows how they'll perform against Japanese, Polish, Swedish and Russian tanks. Not really our fight.

American tanks will join the game halfway thru, get way more credits for the battle than everyone else and claim all the medals.

https://ww2-weapons....-and-aircrafts/

Actually it was - but don't tell the russians, it wouldn't be patriotic. The crews liked them as they were better internally (ie comfy) than the russian tanks.

PS - I still want that soviet Sherman.

LincolnTank #53 Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:02 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11715 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostTealo, on 23 June 2019 - 03:39 AM, said:

What no Bickies??? :( No Custard Creams, Bourbons, Jaffas, Pink Waffles, Jammy Dodgers and Digestives???:unsure: Not  even Rich Tea??? :ohmy:

Really, British tonks with No Bickies!! :facepalm:

No hobnobs = no way

XxKuzkina_MatxX #54 Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:13 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

View PostCaptain_Kremen0, on 24 June 2019 - 10:49 AM, said:

https://ww2-weapons....-and-aircrafts/

Actually it was - but don't tell the russians, it wouldn't be patriotic. The crews liked them as they were better internally (ie comfy) than the russian tanks.

PS - I still want that soviet Sherman.

The red army did like the Sherman, hated the Lee and didn't really trust the Churchill mechanically. :)

Some very good results came from that cooperation. Guess the tank?

Also tagged with British Lights

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users