• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Lagalaza #1 Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:55 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7042 battles
  • [D-ANG] D-ANG

Hi all...

There is a lot of stuff written on here about how bad most of the maps are and how they are all just corridors that give no flanking opportunities. How they encourage all the heavies to push forward for frontal slugfests with little chance of being flanked. Everyone is shuffled down a couple of corridors and that's your lot.

The map on Frontline is all about flanking. If you hold the ridges at the side, you hold the cap area and it is generally the winner of the battles for the flanks that wins the cap. Cap point A as the attacker, the ridge to the right. Not so much on Cap point B but the ridge to the right again holds the key. Cap point C is also the ridge to the right and the hill to the left. It's all about flanking fire. I could go on....

The map forces people to capture flanks and use lines of fire from the flanks into enemy cappers. It offers more varied opportunities than random maps for that reason. Surely random maps would be better if they offered some of the same opportunities?  It creates fast gameplay with true roles for all tank types. Areas for all to succeed.

Yes, I understand it's a different format and people play differently because they can simply be reborn and because there are different goals, but the map layout encourages more varied skills. I also understand it is boring playing the same map over and over again. But if each section of the frontline map came up in randoms as it's own entity, mixed with the other corridor maps we already have in random, at least there would be some variation in map styles with more flanking and crossfire opportunities. Obviously, the maps may need a tweak or two but..... Do WG not see this and understand how they can improve the gameplay? Or do they and you more learned forumites out there see flaws in my case?

Lagalaza

XxKuzkina_MatxX #2 Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:42 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 53201 battles
  • [OBY] OBY

WG developers are all about stability, if it isn't broke don't fix it. Their ultimate goal is to keep the familiar features of the game the same for old players. Maps, tanks, UI management, etc. are the same, they're very conservative when it comes to altering critical parts of the game.

Of course there is that and then there is Mines encounter. A map design which defies any basic logic!

Lagalaza #3 Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:44 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7042 battles
  • [D-ANG] D-ANG

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 21 June 2019 - 10:42 AM, said:

WG developers are all about stability, if it isn't broke don't fix it. Their ultimate goal is to keep the familiar features of the game the same for old players. Maps, tanks, UI management, etc. are the same, they're very conservative when it comes to altering critical parts of the game.

Of course there is that and then there is Mines encounter. A map design which defies any basic logic!

I think Mines works great when you are tier 1 to 4 but after that it is a bit rubbish!!

AS far as being conservative goes, I understand that and their logical attitude. However, surely a couple or three new maps based on the successful design of the Frontline map would only enhance gameplay for all.

Edited by Lagalaza, 21 June 2019 - 11:46 AM.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #4 Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:49 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 53201 battles
  • [OBY] OBY

View PostLagalaza, on 21 June 2019 - 02:44 PM, said:

I think Mines works great when you are tier 1 to 4 but after that it is a bit rubbish!!

True and when a group of CCs asked WG to redesign the encounter map. WG reply was that you can disable encounter battles if you don't like it! :)

Homer_J #5 Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:06 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31689 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostLagalaza, on 21 June 2019 - 10:55 AM, said:

The map on Frontline is all about flanking. 

With no real use for heavies until you get to the objectives.

undutchable80 #6 Posted 24 June 2019 - 06:29 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 10791 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostHomer_J, on 21 June 2019 - 12:06 PM, said:

With no real use for heavies until you get to the objectives.

I disagree. I usually drive HT at the start, but how aggressive I am and how effective I am depends on those taking / not taking the flanks. And by that I mean aggressively push off the enemy on that same flank. Too many times there will be greens and reds on the same flank, 40m from each other separated by a rock/ hill etc and in stead of engaging each other - fighting for flank control, they turn towards the cap circle and snipe whilst ignoring each other. That is a sure way of losing cap control.  

facmanpob #7 Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:41 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 3271 battles
  • [WW3] WW3

View Postundutchable80, on 24 June 2019 - 05:29 AM, said:

I disagree. I usually drive HT at the start, but how aggressive I am and how effective I am depends on those taking / not taking the flanks. And by that I mean aggressively push off the enemy on that same flank. Too many times there will be greens and reds on the same flank, 40m from each other separated by a rock/ hill etc and in stead of engaging each other - fighting for flank control, they turn towards the cap circle and snipe whilst ignoring each other. That is a sure way of losing cap control.  

I killed 2 Progettos and an STA-2 on the east ridge in Zone A (I was attacking) with my Super Pershing in one battle last night because they were so busy sniping at our tanks near the cap that they just ignored me as I poked and farmed their HP. By the time they started retreating it was easy to yolo and finish them off... After that it was an easy cap for our team.

HassenderZerhacker #8 Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:29 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 29823 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 21 June 2019 - 11:49 AM, said:

True and when a group of CCs asked WG to redesign the encounter map. WG reply was that you can disable encounter battles if you don't like it! :)

done.
10:30 Added after 1 minute

View PostLagalaza, on 21 June 2019 - 10:55 AM, said:

Hi all...

There is a lot of stuff written on here about how bad most of the maps are and how they are all just corridors that give no flanking opportunities. How they encourage all the heavies to push forward for frontal slugfests with little chance of being flanked. Everyone is shuffled down a couple of corridors and that's your lot.

The map on Frontline is all about flanking. If you hold the ridges at the side, you hold the cap area and it is generally the winner of the battles for the flanks that wins the cap. Cap point A as the attacker, the ridge to the right. Not so much on Cap point B but the ridge to the right again holds the key. Cap point C is also the ridge to the right and the hill to the left. It's all about flanking fire. I could go on....

The map forces people to capture flanks and use lines of fire from the flanks into enemy cappers. It offers more varied opportunities than random maps for that reason. Surely random maps would be better if they offered some of the same opportunities?  It creates fast gameplay with true roles for all tank types. Areas for all to succeed.

Yes, I understand it's a different format and people play differently because they can simply be reborn and because there are different goals, but the map layout encourages more varied skills. I also understand it is boring playing the same map over and over again. But if each section of the frontline map came up in randoms as it's own entity, mixed with the other corridor maps we already have in random, at least there would be some variation in map styles with more flanking and crossfire opportunities. Obviously, the maps may need a tweak or two but..... Do WG not see this and understand how they can improve the gameplay? Or do they and you more learned forumites out there see flaws in my case?

Lagalaza

Frontline has degraded considerably.

It's not fun anymore, they took too much cover away and added too much arty/air strikes, it's sickening.

Also tagged with maps, frontline, random, flanking

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users