Frontlines is [would get edited]

frontlines fl bad crappy dumb aneurysm

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Thunfischkilla #1 Posted 21 June 2019 - 03:54 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16586 battles

There is so much wrong with this, I don't even know where to start.

Defending

You would think that a TD would be perfect for defending, since that is what they were designed for, right? wrong. You will A: just get spotted by a random recon plane and die to enemy artillery, an artillery barrage and an air strike. If you have 6th sense, you wiggle around a bit and hope you don't get hit, but they hit you anyway. Or B: If by some miracle you were not spotted and obliterated by now, some stupid wheeled tank driving around in front of your gun, which you can not hit because it's seemingly too fast for the game engine to be properly rendered (at least that's what a lot of people claim) as well as being able to turn on the spot at 60-80 km/h, is going to spot and ideally circle you to death.

similar story with heavy tanks, which you don't want to play anyway because it takes you ages to change position on this giant map.

Other than that, I guess defending is fine IF you are a decent enough player and just play mediums and lights... Which you shouldn't have to do because you are defending.

Attacking

Playing the attacking side is what actually annoys me. It's so random. My first instinct used to be to secure the flanks so my team can cap, but I'm encouraged by the game not to do that, because capping for some reason gives you ~1,5 rankups at the beginning of the game! Why? It's actually ridiculous how much points you get for capping. "Oh but it's good that they encourage to play the objective" No, and screw you. At the end of the game everyone but the people who don't want to get the general rank or don't understand how it works just farm damage instead of playing the objective, because it gives literally no exp.

Securing the flanks so people actually can put their lazy asses into the cap zone should be rewarded instead of sitting there and hoping your tank doesn't get obliterated by artillery and combat reserves.

So the game as well as most guides on YT encourage you to take a light tank with the capping combat reserve (engineering?), wait till by some miracle your allies have secured the flank, at advance on the cap zone. Now you just have to pray that you don't get focused for some reason, cap out, drive to another zone which hasn't been capped and repeat.

Why do people still play this garbage game mode? Because it's fun and fresh? No. The rewards are too good. There was actually a poll on this forum not long ago where the overwhelming majority of people said that the game mode bores them, but they play it anyway: http://forum.worldof...ts-boring-fast/

What can be done about it? What is the actual point of this thread? I don't really know, and I am not here to discuss that. I guess I just wanted to let some steam off, because I really hate this game mode with a passion, but I feel artificially compelled to play it through credits/directives and gold/bonds rewards for rank ups and prestige respectively, as well as the reward tanks. I feel like FL is way too bad relative to the quality of the rewards, and WG should really improve the game mode until people would play it even if there were no such rewards. Maybe giving everyone 6th sense or nerfing directives would be a place to start.

As a fairly decent (yeah yeah, green trash) player I would expect to do much better in FL general rank wise. Actually I guess I'm doing okay for my skill level, it's just that playing FL is incredibly frustrating anyway. Am I missing something? What points are valid? What do you think about FL?

Cheers, and have a good day

onderschepper #2 Posted 21 June 2019 - 05:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2168 battles
  • [BOF] BOF

Best to grab a cap as soon as the game starts due to the 300+ seconds it takes for for the Strike Reserves to become active.

The time it can take for allies to secure the flanks those reserves are primed and ready to be dumped en mass, giving the defenders a huge advantage - they can drop reserves onto the cap blind, in contrast the attackers need to see their target and hope it does not move more than 10m.

G_K #3 Posted 21 June 2019 - 06:32 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 32931 battles
  • [YBB] YBB

Agree with everything you say. I also feel that i have to continue this year, as a distinctly average player, for the effort already put in to be worth it. If nothing changes for the next iteration i will not bother to start, because it really isnt enjoyable at the moment.

Sod it, Ive changed my mind....it aint worth being stuck behind B base, while supposed to be attacking e

Edited by G_K, 21 June 2019 - 08:44 PM.

Schepel #4 Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:50 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 64302 battles

Don't like it, don't play it. This isn't a job, nobody is holding a gun to your head and your kittens don't get eaten by the big, bad wolf if you don't play FL. 

Otherwise, I disagree with just about everything you said. The problem isn't with the mode, the problem is with how you approach the game. I generally manage major/general rank. I do so with heavy TD use. They work well in town and high alpha guns allow you to do damage and kill in one. This tends to rank you up fast. You just need to keep moving. Eventually somebody will probably get you, but as long as you didn't waste your time reading a book behind a bush, that isn't a big deal.

Makroros_The_Arty_Magnet #5 Posted 23 June 2019 - 04:50 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 20912 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L
It's a SHT mode with unique rewards.  So I must keep playing it ://

Well FAILED WG, one more bs like that and I'm ignoring it.

Thunfischkilla #6 Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:24 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16586 battles

View PostSchepel, on 22 June 2019 - 11:50 PM, said:

Don't like it, don't play it. This isn't a job, nobody is holding a gun to your head and your kittens don't get eaten by the big, bad wolf if you don't play FL. 

Otherwise, I disagree with just about everything you said. The problem isn't with the mode, the problem is with how you approach the game. I generally manage major/general rank. I do so with heavy TD use. They work well in town and high alpha guns allow you to do damage and kill in one. This tends to rank you up fast. You just need to keep moving. Eventually somebody will probably get you, but as long as you didn't waste your time reading a book behind a bush, that isn't a big deal.

Well that's an... interesting opinion. Yeah, I get that I could just stop playing FL, and in fact I didn't play most episodes. The problem is that WG is trying to pull me back in with stupidly good rewards you get for playing it.

And most people do just play it because of the rewards, that's a fact.

You disagree with everything I said? Fair enough. Now that you point it out, I probably should just ignore the cap zones and focus on dealing damage. But just to be sure: do you really not think it's wrong how much exp capping gets you? I get really annoyed when I get general with ~12k dmg and some dude who just capped all day gets it with ~5k, which is why I try to focus on them so hard.

Also tagged with frontlines, fl, bad, crappy, dumb, aneurysm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users