Jump to content


Amphibious tanks


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Hellfoxe #1 Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:19 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 23566 battles
  • 651
  • [BULL] BULL
  • Member since:
    04-05-2011

Wot have wheelie tanks, capture "King Tiger" tank implended so I wonder why not bring "Amphibious tanks" into game. Tank nations like Germany, USA, United Kingdom, Soviet-Union and Japan has experiement with "Amphibious tanks" for beach assault to suppor the landing troops. In gameplay noting change much except that if you have "Amphibious tanks" you can cross water side instead dying by trying to cross other side without drowning and mayby some new maps where you can use it.

 

 



r00barb #2 Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:23 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 26706 battles
  • 10,811
  • Member since:
    10-20-2015
Make all arty amphibious so they can't drown themselves. :great:

UrQuan #3 Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:44 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 21298 battles
  • 7,095
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-19-2011

The ability to cross water would allow you to exploit some very strong positions. This was revealed when a physics bug made it you lost all friction under water (zero ground resistance), resulting in silly things like super-speed tanks being able to cross large stretches of water before the 10 sec drown timer was up. Anyone remember the Bulldog submarine tanks racing through the various lakes & rivers?

Or superheavy tanks crossing stretches of water, because suddenly they no longer had to take friction/ground resistance into account. Was faster crossing water then land in many cases during this period, as long as you could do it in 10 seconds or less (drown timer).

KV-4 submarine in action

 

That said, there's a few semi-amphibious tanks ingame already (by game mechanics that is). Some tanks don't get a drown timer until they get very deep in water compared to others (Tiger P is one of those). And of course the opposite exists too, tanks that get a drown timer the moment they drive through a puddle...

This was my favorite move on Live Oaks with the Tiger P; cross the deep end of that water at rail. German Subrmarine tech was equally deadly on tanks :P

 

 

In short, allowing true amphibious tanks would need some map redesigns & that sounds like more effort then WG is willing to do.



Hellfoxe #4 Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:29 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 23566 battles
  • 651
  • [BULL] BULL
  • Member since:
    04-05-2011

View PostUrQuan, on 22 June 2019 - 10:44 AM, said:

The ability to cross water would allow you to exploit some very strong positions. This was revealed when a physics bug made it you lost all friction under water (zero ground resistance), resulting in silly things like super-speed tanks being able to cross large stretches of water before the 10 sec drown timer was up. Anyone remember the Bulldog submarine tanks racing through the various lakes & rivers?

Or superheavy tanks crossing stretches of water, because suddenly they no longer had to take friction/ground resistance into account. Was faster crossing water then land in many cases during this period, as long as you could do it in 10 seconds or less (drown timer).

KV-4 submarine in action

 

That said, there's a few semi-amphibious tanks ingame already (by game mechanics that is). Some tanks don't get a drown timer until they get very deep in water compared to others (Tiger P is one of those). And of course the opposite exists too, tanks that get a drown timer the moment they drive through a puddle...

This was my favorite move on Live Oaks with the Tiger P; cross the deep end of that water at rail. German Subrmarine tech was equally deadly on tanks :P

 

 

In short, allowing true amphibious tanks would need some map redesigns & that sounds like more effort then WG is willing to do.

 

 

KV-4 can cross medium river side because the tank is huge and tiger P can only cross small rivers.



shikaka9 #5 Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:33 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 68638 battles
  • 668
  • [BULL] BULL
  • Member since:
    02-27-2013
they tlaked about amphibious like 5 years ago .. it seems 5 years not enough to figure out how to make them ... guess project closed and buried under big pile of wheels :trollface:

TungstenHitman #6 Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:44 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 28940 battles
  • 5,340
  • [POOLS] POOLS
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016

We have amphibious tanks though, well, at least one I know of. Though it's not actually made to allow it float in this game for some reason and it totally should just to make it a novel tank to have more than it is. I don't think it would break the game in any way either since there's really few places it could use to good effect nor actually get back out again. That was the problem with amphibious tanks and vehicles though, they were generally good on land, good in water and good at getting from land into the water but tended to fail hard at getting back out of the water lol... unless there was a suitable made ramp or a nice gently rising beach etc. Anything with a bit of climb or too much growth around the area and it might well end up chewing all of that stuff into its tracks and having to be left abandoned or have something else pull it out which is hardly ideal in a war scenario, under attack and sort of defeats the purpose of having them at all really since it was suppose to be able to do all that itself and not require a team of assistance on the other side of where you're trying to get out of the water onto lol... since generally all that's on the other side is going to be either nobody or enemies and I don't think they'd be to quick to help you since you're crossing to attack them etc.

 

 



vasilinhorulezz #7 Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:44 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 25191 battles
  • 1,718
  • Member since:
    09-26-2014

View Postr00barb, on 22 June 2019 - 10:23 AM, said:

Make all arty amphibious so they can't drown themselves. :great:

 

No, just make them float without being able to move.

Huntingwolf #8 Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:54 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 9757 battles
  • 1,330
  • [FA-T] FA-T
  • Member since:
    04-15-2011

View PostHellfoxe, on 22 June 2019 - 09:19 AM, said:

Wot have wheelie tanks, capture "King Tiger" tank implended so I wonder why not bring "Amphibious tanks" into game. Tank nations like Germany, USA, United Kingdom, Soviet-Union and Japan has experiement with "Amphibious tanks" for beach assault to suppor the landing troops. In gameplay noting change much except that if you have "Amphibious tanks" you can cross water side instead dying by trying to cross other side without drowning and mayby some new maps where you can use it.

 

 

Better don't say that too loud. Because wargaming is known for take very very stupid ideas and implement them into the game and ruin the game .and than change it to total overpowered "pew pew" sifi stuff like the wheel tanks. So that you think that idea could be coming straight out from vodka drunk Ivans mind dawed on a shi-tstained toilet paper... 

 

Asides that : many Amphibious tanks where total crap in ww2

Look at the D-day shermans *coughing * that had sunked in the Channel. Also the Russian ones where horrible Amphibious tanks. 

and many also where underguned and underamored to save weight . Also many even would not swim. More dive like a uboat..... A One way dive, if you understand. 


Edited by Huntingwolf, 23 June 2019 - 02:19 AM.


mortalsatsuma #9 Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:56 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 14597 battles
  • 1,751
  • Member since:
    06-13-2014

View Postr00barb, on 22 June 2019 - 10:23 AM, said:

Make all arty amphibious so they can't drown themselves. :great:

 

I would seriously love it if WG implemented this without actually telling anyone. Also make it so that the engine dies when arty tries to drown but the crew can all breathe underwater thanks to having extra long snorkels. Would be hilarious the first time some clicker tries to drown only to find they're stuck literally dead in the water as a free kill for the 1st person to find them. :trollface:

bitslice #10 Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:41 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 23903 battles
  • 663
  • Member since:
    12-28-2013

View Postr00barb, on 22 June 2019 - 09:23 AM, said:

Make all arty amphibious so they can't drown themselves. :great:

 

Hah, I was just thinking I bet someone says that.

I hate the fact that the SkorpG is sometimes too tall to drown

 

But yes, I'd like a game quirk that would allow bigger tanks to ford lakes


Edited by bitslice, 24 June 2019 - 01:45 PM.


Balc0ra #11 Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:28 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 70955 battles
  • 19,613
  • [WALL] WALL
  • Member since:
    07-10-2012

Having some tanks have the ability to get to some spots others are not meant to get. Won't help anything tbh. Like an M4 DD going across the water to get to K1 on Malinovka when no one else can. Or even K1 and K8 on Fjords. Thus if you don't have any amphibious tanks on your team. You can't counter them as you can't cross in time.

 

Now ofc this won't be the case for all maps. But if they did that, they have to add invisible walls to some areas as they did for wheeled lights.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users