Garage - battle reports take way too long

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Garage - battle reports take way too long (36 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Would you like to see garage 'Loading' reduced or vanish entirely?

1. I want to work in my garage without being interrupted at all! (20 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

2. 1-3 seconds are acceptable (12 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. I don't mind to wait this long every time (4 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Optional question: do you think 30 seconds before battle-start are too long?

1. Yes, we load in faster then that! (~15s are enough) (11 votes [30.56%])

Percentage of vote: 30.56%

2. No, we need the time (to have a beer)! (25 votes [69.44%])

Percentage of vote: 69.44%

Vote Hide poll

KoenigsMarder #1 Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:52 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2343 battles

Hello.

Let's assume it's any other day. You are in your garage, perhaps fit a new tank out or swap crew around and suddenly the client takes co-"Loading.......... load............ lo........... l............ loading............. hmhmhmmmm................. ok ........... done loading Battlereport!............ for now...................." -ntrol away from you <_<

It's so annoying as hell.

Every battle report, you get like 5-10s** load time during which you can't do anything. 

- i really would love to know how much time everyone here wasted on waiting for report cards, hopefully missing most during the battle.

[**opening old cards or having a day on which the servers are toasty... these times can get up quite a bit]

My main account has 27.350 fights. That's up to 38 HOURS... of 'LOADING...' - and i am sure you and many others got even MORE than that!

Honestly, I don't think i had so much load time after finishing FinalFantasy7 on my Psx back in the day :|

One would assume after 10 years wargaming would finally optimize this, so BYTE-SIZED REPORTS do NOT freeze your garage every time!

Games similar to world of tanks do not do this. Those take half a second and you get your 'rewards'. WoT, however, feels more like the 'Total War' series.

The exterior might changed... fancy graphics, more tanks, new mechanics... but the very fundament isn't up to modern standards.

Work has to be done. Reducing the load. Implementing a buffer of sorts...

and while you are at it; rework the structure in which this data is displayed, which is another problem.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Flooding the Reports in between with countless useless stand-alone messages:

There are some XVM mods picking up on it... but i can't quite imagine everyone is keen on having 5 pop-ups for 1 fight:
- ammunition refiled (2-3 lines

- stuff refilled (2-3 lines)

- tank repaired (2-3 lines)

- some special reserve used up (2-3 lines)

and suddenly your battle reports are flooded away and you are trying to find an older one by frantically scrolling up and down through this mess. 

(a minor gripe, but still... could be handled in ONE tidy card listing all of this and just spewing out the numbers and total)

... and to put the cherry on top of it, the drip which caused the barrel to overflow... : since 2 patches ago it can happen i only get that 'brownish' background. It shows nothing else but that backdrop. I then close and klick the report again... and it's instantly there. Loaded but bad display.

The special treat i got today was quite a unique one: i dared to load up a 2 fights old card... klicked on my "2x" ... and ... -it loaded endlessly.

I contacted our good old support... made another post elsewhere... checked social media... had a snack and then tabbed out after 5+minutes.

The 2x did not count. The old battle report was gone and my enjoyment for the day as well. (Happens, no big deal, but puts a spotlight on the issue)

See you on th- ...'loading' ... -e battlefield

Edited by KoenigsMarder, 23 June 2019 - 07:54 PM.

gav00 #2 Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10678 battles

View PostKoenigsMarder, on 23 June 2019 - 07:52 PM, said:

Reducing the load. Implementing a buffer of sorts...

That is exactly what a loading time is...

Also I have never had an issue with the second or two it takes to show a battle result. I suggest you invest in some half decent hardware and/or network connection if your times are much higher.

As for the 30 second battle countdown, there are plenty of people using Potato PCs who only just make it into battle in time as is.

Edited by gav00, 23 June 2019 - 08:10 PM.

barison1 #3 Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:09 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 42079 battles

never had much issues either with loading times (on rare occasions it does take long tho)

but then again if you are starting to calculate the time you "wasted" you can wonder about other things aswell just as a thought

-how long you would waste time on the toilet per year

-how long you sleep per year

-how long you are eating per year

-how long you are travelling towards school/work etc per year

-how long you wait in queues in supermarkets/library/shops etc per year

-how long you wait to catch public transport per year

-how long you wait in loading screens with fasttravel/entering new rooms in skyrim(mostly when modded till crashing)

there are lots of examples of how you spend time, some just being points of wasting time, some not so much

Nethraniel #4 Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:15 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 14171 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I never wait for the battle report for more than 1-2 seconds, mostly it pops up instantaneous.

Dragos_CS #5 Posted 24 June 2019 - 03:04 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 20767 battles
  • [REZIS] REZIS

The battle report loading is indeed horrendous. And no, its not the harware on my part. The game is installed on an M.2 NVMe SSD and the connection is great. I load into the battle virtually before everybody else.

Its just that the server entrusts the client NOTHING, which means clicking on a battle report in the feed is essentially a query to the server that takes way more time than a locally stored battle report.

Correct me if im wrong, but this is the reason it takes so long to switch servers, load garages or even simple menus. The UI is also antique at best, which doesnt help at all.

P.S: "Updating garage" is another culprit of this general waste of time with the menus.

OmniWalou #6 Posted 24 June 2019 - 05:25 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 452 battles

View PostDragos_CS, on 24 June 2019 - 03:04 AM, said:

The battle report loading is indeed horrendous. And no, its not the harware on my part. The game is installed on an M.2 NVMe SSD and the connection is great. I load into the battle virtually before everybody else.

Its just that the server entrusts the client NOTHING, which means clicking on a battle report in the feed is essentially a query to the server that takes way more time than a locally stored battle report.

Correct me if im wrong, but this is the reason it takes so long to switch servers, load garages or even simple menus. The UI is also antique at best, which doesnt help at all.

P.S: "Updating garage" is another culprit of this general waste of time with the menus.

Are you by any chance running session stat mods or mods that alter the battle report screen, or anything else of such. Those could easily make the loading times longer, especially since some people seem to have near instant loading on those. So there has to be some difference between you and them.

WhoCares01 #7 Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:21 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17992 battles

Loading the results of a battle where I was around until it ended (alive or spectating) is fine.

But loading of results of previous battles when I died and left can take rather long, and in a bad streak of quick demises where the battles dragged on longer I sometimes find two or three results waiting - click the first and then the interface is blocked until that one is loaded before I can also open a second one, and then I can't check the first one while the second one is loading. That's the annoying delays.

I would love to see them send the results already in the background while I might still be in the next battle - at least as an option where we can select whether we want it that way, or like it is today...

No mods installed (never!), and HW and connection are rather on the good side.

Edited by WhoCares01, 24 June 2019 - 09:21 AM.

Balc0ra #8 Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:06 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 70974 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostKoenigsMarder, on 23 June 2019 - 07:52 PM, said:

Every battle report, you get like 5-10s** load time during which you can't do anything.

For me it takes a second or two more so then 10 seconds. Not every battle. I can count on one hand how often it goes past 5 seconds. It could be a network issue "as in beyond your ISP even", as I doubt it's hardware related. As others have said they run gather good gear and still get it. Even my 2nd rig with a slow HHD and a 1050 with 6 gb of ram takes 2 seconds. But he runs vanilla. Or even mods clogging up that timer.

View Postgav00, on 23 June 2019 - 08:00 PM, said:

As for the 30 second battle countdown, there are plenty of people using Potato PCs who only just make it into battle in time as is.

That starts when 50% of the players are ready. So it won't start at the same time. If you get teams running HHD's etc, it might not even have started when you are ready. If you get players with faster rigs and SSD's. It might be at 25 when you get in. 30 seconds made sense back in the day when the gaps were huge. As then you had 5+ that was still not loaded in after those 30 seconds. Now less so, even on potato rigs, that honestly they could cut it down to 20 or 15 seconds. As it's not often I see one coming on at the last second anymore. 

View PostDragos_CS, on 24 June 2019 - 03:04 AM, said:

Server swich or login is a different matter. I suspect that takes as long for everyone regardless of setup. But garage? I assume you run a few mods, inc session stats calculating WN8 or even garage UI mods? If you run those, that's more sources needing that battle info etc. As it won't show it until everything is ready. I've not run a mod pack for ages. But I'm willing to bet that some mods might add a few seconds to that timer.

malachi6 #9 Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:16 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 50920 battles
First world issues are the very worst.  How complete is your life when this is all you can find to complain about?  Good for you, I am envious.

Homer_J #10 Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:22 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31717 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
As someone using a potato laptop at times on which I have to exclude Mannerheim Line due to the 2min+ load time, I appreciate the 30 second countdown.

_6i6_ #11 Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:30 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16552 battles
  • [A__K] A__K

View Postbarison1, on 23 June 2019 - 09:09 PM, said:

never had much issues either with loading times (on rare occasions it does take long tho)

but then again if you are starting to calculate the time you "wasted" you can wonder about other things aswell just as a thought

-how long you would waste time on the toilet per year

-how long you sleep per year

-how long you are eating per year

-how long you are travelling towards school/work etc per year

-how long you wait in queues in supermarkets/library/shops etc per year

-how long you wait to catch public transport per year

-how long you wait in loading screens with fasttravel/entering new rooms in skyrim(mostly when modded till crashing)

there are lots of examples of how you spend time, some just being points of wasting time, some not so much

You forgot the loading from Baldurs Gate:

"You must gather your party before venturing forth"

Lagalaza #12 Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:35 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7088 battles
  • [D-ANG] D-ANG
I run the game with the lowest settings possible on a refurbished 8 year old laptop with 8gb of Ram, an R7 AMD graphics card and a 2.5ghz AMD dual core processor. In other words, it's a mediocre old thing with low graphiics capability. The plus point is, it is only for WoT and nothing else and is never used for anything else. My internet connection is, mostly, excellent and I don't share the connection with anyone. I wait 1 or 2 seconds for the battle report to load and I rarely, if ever, have trouble getting into battle. Everything is Vanilla, no mods. There is no issue here for me with any of the load times.

gav00 #13 Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:50 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10678 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 24 June 2019 - 09:22 AM, said:

As someone using a potato laptop at times on which I have to exclude Mannerheim Line due to the 2min+ load time, I appreciate the 30 second countdown.

I've never noticed a difference in load times between maps, they all seem to be roughly the same for me. Sounds like Mannerheim isn't very well optimized in that case

BlackBloodBandit #14 Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:24 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5528 battles

I've had the same problem with battle reports loading very slow. Also it takes longer then it used to before the endscreen "defeat/victory" disappears and the game goes back to garage.

The start-up time with 30 seconds should stay, though I find it annoying. I've still seen enough players being late into the match. The fact that the team list shows the player is connected, doesn't mean he is able to play. If the client crashes right after you get out of the que, it suggests that your ally/enemy is able to play.

Dragos_CS #15 Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:27 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 20767 battles
  • [REZIS] REZIS

View PostOmniWalou, on 24 June 2019 - 05:25 AM, said:

Are you by any chance running session stat mods or mods that alter the battle report screen, or anything else of such. Those could easily make the loading times longer, especially since some people seem to have near instant loading on those. So there has to be some difference between you and them.

View PostBalc0ra, on 24 June 2019 - 09:06 AM, said:

For me it takes a second or two more so then 10 seconds. Not every battle. I can count on one hand how often it goes past 5 seconds. It could be a network issue "as in beyond your ISP even", as I doubt it's hardware related. As others have said they run gather good gear and still get it. Even my 2nd rig with a slow HHD and a 1050 with 6 gb of ram takes 2 seconds. But he runs vanilla. Or even mods clogging up that timer.

That starts when 50% of the players are ready. So it won't start at the same time. If you get teams running HHD's etc, it might not even have started when you are ready. If you get players with faster rigs and SSD's. It might be at 25 when you get in. 30 seconds made sense back in the day when the gaps were huge. As then you had 5+ that was still not loaded in after those 30 seconds. Now less so, even on potato rigs, that honestly they could cut it down to 20 or 15 seconds. As it's not often I see one coming on at the last second anymore. 

Server swich or login is a different matter. I suspect that takes as long for everyone regardless of setup. But garage? I assume you run a few mods, inc session stats calculating WN8 or even garage UI mods? If you run those, that's more sources needing that battle info etc. As it won't show it until everything is ready. I've not run a mod pack for ages. But I'm willing to bet that some mods might add a few seconds to that timer.

Im not ising any mods at all, not even session stats since WG added those this update. I have used the WGMods Essentials modpack from their site in previous game versions though. I will do a clean install to see if anything changes.

Bear in mind that i have no issue with loading reports of games i finished alive/spectating, but rather with loading reports of games i exited before the end (i.e. died and quit) then clicked in the garage. These take 5-10s.

crnakoza #16 Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:58 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 59461 battles

Yes, preparing battle report takes ridiculously long. I can only assume this is because the server that manages player accounts (database server) is apparently quite limited in hardware, compared to game servers that actually host the battles.

How much data does it really need to be transferred to player to update his stats locally? Few dozen kilobytes at most, and here we are sitting on multi megabit per second connections (I myself have 20 Mbit/s downstream), and it still takes long. I might for the hell of it wireshark this just to gauge how much data is actually transmitted. This isn't some your-PC-is-potato case, this is purely server side delay. Even though there *are* mods that can make this even worse (session statistics comes to mind), but I am running vanilla client.

Edited by crnakoza, 24 June 2019 - 01:02 PM.

bitslice #17 Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:23 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23934 battles
I've also noticed you can't alt-tab out to do something else while the game is loading, can't remember if that's a new thing or not

FrantisekBascovansky #18 Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:24 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24765 battles
30s countdown before battle is enough time to take a leak.

onderschepper #19 Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2113 battles
  • [BOF] BOF

Does anyone remember at the turn of the millennium when games companies announced that loading times would be a thing of the past? :hiding:

Nineteen and a half years later and we still have loading times on par with what they were like then. :facepalm:

8126Jakobsson #20 Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:30 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 76693 battles

World of Synchronizing

The synch' and calculation time have become a bit over the top. I thought "progression" would translate into quicker actions, but what do I know. Maybe I'm just getting old or something. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users