Improve Commander's View and Sounds

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Cradle_2_The_Grave #1 Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:39 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19609 battles
  • [COBRA] COBRA

Everyone's busy discussing MM, SPG and Tanks rebalancing, so can we take a little break and ask for something fun?

I think it's time to improve the commander's view and engine and fire sounds

Commander's view, or how is it called? You know what I mean

Playing WoT compared to other tank games, be it simulator or arcade it doesn't matter, you want to feel like you are driving a big badass machine, yet in WoT you feel like you are driving a toy tank, I believe it's due to commander's view, some years ago I played WT and to this day I am wishing that WoT would have such views, sounds, physics and graphics..

WoT wouldn't be copying, rather improving. When you zoom out, the commander's view goes up, like satellite view, tanks look weird and small even when you zoom in, basically like small racing cars, please improve these commanders view completely, make tanks look as big as they are in real life, I don't see any side effects for this..

Also more physics having small rocks getting cracked under the tank and causes it to shake etc.. 

As for the sounds.. I only hear the engine sounds no tracks sounds why? Even if they are damaged, they are totally silent, please consider adding more sounds.

And the fire sounds, they aren't bad but could get improved. You know what's the most satisfying sound in game? When you block damage and it goes like BOOOM! and echoing. Wow I want more of that. And the most terrible sound in game is when getting hit by arty that sounds goes like "cheeeeevkhh" it has damaged my ears, please lower that sound, why does arty have to be annoying at everything?

Finally, don't be telling me things like WT is simulator and so WoT shouldn't have such commander's view, being tank simulator or arcade has nothing to do with that, it's more about the true size of tank to be shown and giving you the feeling of tanking, trust me it would be awesome :) currently we have few big tanks in game such as Maus, Type 5 and E100. Driving these tanks just feels good for they fit in the screen and look big, other tank should be viewed like that too. Tanks aren't that small as they seem in game I repeat that. Say good bye to toy tanks and welcome the real tanks.

NekoPuffer_PPP #2 Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:51 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 33379 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

Have you tried messing with the Field of View setting? I've it set to max (120 degrees), both to minimize tunnelvision and to have a better view of my surroundings at all times.

The thing you're talking about is Sniper View I assume. If your tank appears small, park it next to a bus on Ensk's town square.

Sounds in this game are already several years old and kept simple, I assume for optimal performance... Correct me if I'm wrong but we've had the same engine sounds since, what, 2014/15 or something? Everything sounds the same, except some small French tanks and the Swedish S-tanks. I can't tell the difference between a diesel and a petrol engine, if there is any. I haven't noticed.

Edited by NekoPuffer_PPP, 25 June 2019 - 08:52 PM.

Homer_J #3 Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:56 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31679 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostCradle_2_The_Grave, on 25 June 2019 - 08:39 PM, said:

As for the sounds.. I only hear the engine sounds no tracks sounds why?

Sounds like a problem at your end.  I have track sounds.

Cradle_2_The_Grave #4 Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:27 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19609 battles
  • [COBRA] COBRA

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 25 June 2019 - 08:51 PM, said:

Have you tried messing with the Field of View setting? I've it set to max (120 degrees), both to minimize tunnelvision and to have a better view of my surroundings at all times.

The thing you're talking about is Sniper View I assume. If your tank appears small, park it next to a bus on Ensk's town square..

I didn't really mean that tank's view is unclear or not seeing my surroundings very well, I mean the camera is quite high, from above, you zoom out you up, you zoom in you go pass the tank not behind it, and that's what makes tanks small like toys.. yes I have been next to cars and buses and tanks are way larger if you compare to other objects, however tanks themselves alone driving around don't really feel/look big, rather small cars. And by changing it's view it doesn't mean it will get worse or you won't be seeing your surroundings very well, they can still allow you to zoom out far enough.

21:31 Added after 4 minutes

View PostHomer_J, on 25 June 2019 - 08:56 PM, said:

Sounds like a problem at your end.  I have track sounds.

Oh maybe but I often watch WoT gameplay videos on YouTube but I haven't noticed any loud or realistic track sounds it's all engine and sounds like "Gvvvvvv" the whole time, the only time it tunes down and up is when you stop and move again etc.

NekoPuffer_PPP #5 Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:36 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 33379 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostCradle_2_The_Grave, on 25 June 2019 - 10:27 PM, said:

I didn't really mean that tank's view is unclear or not seeing my surroundings very well, I mean the camera is quite high, from above, you zoom out you up, you zoom in you go pass the tank not behind it, and that's what makes tanks small like toys.. yes I have been next to cars and buses and tanks are way larger if you compare to other objects, however tanks themselves alone driving around don't really feel/look big, rather small cars. And by changing it's view it doesn't mean it will get worse or you won't be seeing your surroundings very well, they can still allow you to zoom out far enough.

Oh I get what you mean now.

I guess it's a matter of preference. For example, in War Thunder, the camera position makes your tank cover half the screen, and the aiming point is in the top part of the screen...it doesn't feel right for me, but the tanks do look bigger, can't deny that.

WoT's camera is better placed. I like being able to see more than just my own tank...it's just more convenient for gameplay.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #6 Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:46 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 53201 battles
  • [OBY] OBY

Usually i don't care too much about aesthetics and i play almost without sounds but i like this suggestion. A more modern view (HUD) could be interesting.

crnakoza #7 Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:58 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 59460 battles

View PostCradle_2_The_Grave, on 25 June 2019 - 08:39 PM, said:

Tanks aren't that small as they seem in game I repeat that. Say good bye to toy tanks and welcome the real tanks.

This is just perspective effect playing tricks on you. Try looking at objects on map and comparing your tank size to them (cars, trucks, building doors, lamp posts), you will find out that tanks are actually really large. It just doesn't feel that way because of perspective of the camera.

Cradle_2_The_Grave #8 Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:38 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19609 battles
  • [COBRA] COBRA

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 25 June 2019 - 10:36 PM, said:

Oh I get what you mean now.

I guess it's a matter of preference. For example, in War Thunder, the camera position makes your tank cover half the screen, and the aiming point is in the top part of the screen...it doesn't feel right for me, but the tanks do look bigger, can't deny that.

WoT's camera is better placed. I like being able to see more than just my own tank...it's just more convenient for gameplay.

I get it, but we shouldn't be limited to either of these, can't we have both? Keeping the current and adding one like tank simulator. Yeah in WT tank covers alot of your screen but that's what makes it cool in my opinion.

Edited by Cradle_2_The_Grave, 26 June 2019 - 01:39 AM.

TheDrownedApe #9 Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:40 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 48400 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 25 June 2019 - 07:51 PM, said:

The thing you're talking about is Sniper View I assume. If your tank appears small, park it next to a bus on Ensk's town square.

LOL I literally did this yesterday on Minsk. I was driving back to defend base and there are two little cars behind buses and my E50 looked mahoosive next to them. I did think initially they were undersized but then thought "who actually cares"

Gruff_ #10 Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:53 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19293 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
The big boom sound if gettgin me hit by arty kept makign me jump/being too loud.  I now play with sound in night mode and various effects turned down, less "immersive" but much calmer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users