About the Tundra-cheat (It's not a mod!)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

Randomar #1 Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:20 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 26817 battles
About the Tundra-cheat (It's not a mod!)

I have a understanding problem :
- On one hand they say it is server sided, so it doesn't work for clients,
- Then they say it works but it is a disadvantage because even the (cheating) player will no more see the consealment where he could hide.
- So I cant stop to ask myself what will happen to the regular player who tries to hide behind a bush? I assume he will become clearly visible because the bushes are made transparent.

At the very end, that tundra-mod must be something.
I know there are hacks that work system-wide, for example modifying the DirectX files.

Does Wargaming check the system and the DirectX files for falsifications?

Propjesschieter #2 Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:23 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 3983 battles
The tundra mod removes all bushes on the client running it, it will not remove bushes for other players or the server or affect the view and spotting mechanics.

4nt #3 Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27842 battles

View PostPropjesschieter, on 26 June 2019 - 07:23 PM, said:

The tundra mod removes all bushes on the client running it, it will not remove bushes for other players or the server or affect the view and spotting mechanics.

This. You can get a mod that makes all scenery flat white terrain hitbox, but good luck being able to use any cover because you cannot see it. Tundra's only 'advantage' is to see spotted tanks full skin.

Propjesschieter #4 Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:39 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 3983 battles

View Post4nt, on 26 June 2019 - 07:32 PM, said:

Tundra's only 'advantage' is to see spotted tanks full skin.

Only if you are visually challenged and cannot use the default outline...

Edited by Propjesschieter, 26 June 2019 - 07:40 PM.

Bigtime_Alarm #5 Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:39 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20647 battles

View Post4nt, on 26 June 2019 - 07:32 PM, said:

This. You can get a mod that makes all scenery flat white terrain hitbox, but good luck being able to use any cover because you cannot see it. Tundra's only 'advantage' is to see spotted tanks full skin.

And to have a much clearer view over grassy ridges of any enemy poking over,.

onderschepper #6 Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:42 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2122 battles
  • [BOF] BOF

View PostBigtime_Alarm, on 26 June 2019 - 07:39 PM, said:

And to have a much clearer view over grassy ridges of any enemy poking over,.

Or one could just disable grass in the display options.

No add-ons/ mods required.

Balc0ra #7 Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:45 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 70974 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostRandomar, on 26 June 2019 - 07:20 PM, said:

- On one hand they say it is server sided, so it doesn't work for clients,
- Then they say it works but it is a disadvantage because even the (cheating) player will no more see the concealment where he could hide.
- So I cant stop to ask myself what will happen to the regular player who tries to hide behind a bush? I assume he will become clearly visible because the bushes are made transparent.

- Game runs calculations server side. So that mod can't manipulate spotting. It can only see targets that are already spotted without bushes blocking the view. As "cheats" in this game can only show hidden info, it can't change it.

- You could say that. As unless he is 100% sure where the bushes are. He suddenly doesn't know if he is 15m behind, inside or half the tank is poking out. But most that use it sit on the 2nd line more so then at the front. Even if the bush is not there, it won't affect his camo if he is positioned right.

- Again, server-side. It can't manipulate spotting just because there are no bushes. So if he is spotted via normal means. Then yes, he will be visible. Just as he would be if you aim at him with the bush there. As in the outline showing where he is facing etc. If he is 15m behind the bush and spotting too. Then no, he won't be clearly visible all the time. As again, it's only on the mod users client. And only a visual thing. It's don't remove the bushes for the "regular" players. Or reduce their camo's. 

4nt #8 Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27842 battles

View PostPropjesschieter, on 26 June 2019 - 07:39 PM, said:

Only if you are visually challenged and cannot use the default outline...

More likely the user has more challenges in life than mere inability to discern shapes.

Dorander #9 Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:52 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 21014 battles

View Post4nt, on 26 June 2019 - 06:46 PM, said:

More likely the user has more challenges in life than mere inability to discern shapes.

Just going to chime in on that one. I vastly prefer a clear tank view instead of the outline so I can see in detail where I'm aiming, which is relevant for trackwheel shots especially. Of course I'll usually try to pull back and fire at the outline if that means not getting spotted on firing but a recent view simply works better than guessing.

Perhaps some people have such great visual memory that they can mentally project the exact tank drawing on the outline merely by virtue of it being spotted, if so, great for them. I can't, and it's definitely not leading to any challenges in my real life.

NekoPuffer_PPP #10 Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:21 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 33389 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostDorander, on 26 June 2019 - 07:52 PM, said:

Just going to chime in on that one. I vastly prefer a clear tank view instead of the outline so I can see in detail where I'm aiming, which is relevant for trackwheel shots especially. Of course I'll usually try to pull back and fire at the outline if that means not getting spotted on firing but a recent view simply works better than guessing.

Perhaps some people have such great visual memory that they can mentally project the exact tank drawing on the outline merely by virtue of it being spotted, if so, great for them. I can't, and it's definitely not leading to any challenges in my real life.

I sometimes wish the outline showed each corner of the tank if it's angled. For example on a Panther, if I could see a diagonal line on the front part, I'd know he's facing towards me rather than away from me. I can sometimes guess if the tank is angled on a slope...

Sounds simple, but with how outlines work in WoT it may be quite complicated to implement, might need a complete rework...which usually brings bugs.

crnakoza #11 Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:27 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 59461 battles

View PostRandomar, on 26 June 2019 - 07:20 PM, said:

At the very end, that tundra-mod must be something.
I know there are hacks that work system-wide, for example modifying the DirectX files.

The way I understand it tundra mod removes bushes and other obstacles locally on your client, so that you can see better (for people who apparently have troubles finding a tank outline behind the bushes and other crap. It does not remove bushes server side, server still calculates the camo for those bushes. So it is very possible that you on your PC get a clear screen with no bushes, whereas there is indeed a bush there and someone is hiding behind it. Downside for you being that you are unaware where are the bushes, so when people get spotted they would quite literally just appear out of thin air in front of you (because you don't see the bushes).

You see it is server that calculates which tank is visible and which tank isn't. You can remove bushes all you want on your own client, but server has information about the bush locations, and you can't affect those. You can just chose not to display bushes on your own PC, but they are still there.

Dorander #12 Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:34 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 21014 battles

View Postcrnakoza, on 26 June 2019 - 07:27 PM, said:

Downside for you being that you are unaware where are the bushes, so when people get spotted they would quite literally just appear out of thin air in front of you (because you don't see the bushes).

You know that statement's really going to affect my future interpretations of people who claim tanks are appearing out of nowhere and questions about why they didn't spot them. :harp:

crnakoza #13 Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:42 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 59461 battles

View PostDorander, on 26 June 2019 - 08:34 PM, said:

You know that statement's really going to affect my future interpretations of people who claim tanks are appearing out of nowhere and questions about why they didn't spot them. :harp:

Who knows? Maybe you're on to something.

4nt #14 Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27842 battles

View PostDorander, on 26 June 2019 - 07:52 PM, said:

Ah, I believe. But still it doesn't make you use tundra, correct? My post wasn't directed against those who have real issues, but was referring to those who might use hardship of visualization as rationalization to using cheats, f.e. tundra that was the point. I'm not the best at visualizing things, but usually using outlines isn't that hard for me, because I have more than just outlines to use: penetration indicator and movement of enemy. 

Now, IRL we had nothing comparable to pen indicator. But long years of playing semirealistic (and some simulationist) tank games, as well as basic antitank training, have given me good sense at where to shoot even against basic shape of afv.

This is why I'm in the camp of useless tundra. It would hinder me by preventing any bush-related hijinx I'd like to use.

Dorander #15 Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:51 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 21014 battles

View Post4nt, on 26 June 2019 - 07:43 PM, said:

Ah, I believe. But still it doesn't make you use tundra, correct? My post wasn't directed against those who have real issues, but was referring to those who might use hardship of visualization as rationalization to using cheats, f.e. tundra that was the point. I'm not the best at visualizing things, but usually using outlines isn't that hard for me, because I have more than just outlines to use: penetration indicator and movement of enemy. 

Now, IRL we had nothing comparable to pen indicator. But long years of playing semirealistic (and some simulationist) tank games, as well as basic antitank training, have given me good sense at where to shoot even against basic shape of afv.

This is why I'm in the camp of useless tundra. It would hinder me by preventing any bush-related hijinx I'd like to use.

Indeed, I do not, and would not, use Tundra. I suppose I took slight offense at the implication that those who have some trouble visualising on nothing but an outline are somehow handicapped, I've always found it irritating when people claim to derive some kind of real world capability based on how people perform in a game, as if the skills we have to play this game have a direct link to real life capability or even success, when all such outcomes measure is merely how good we are at the game.

Of course I am visually challenged, like many other people who've spent the better part of their lives looking at books and screens I wear glasses or contact lenses for visual correction, so I suppose I can always use that as an excuse.

ValkyrionX #16 Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:37 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 50524 battles
  • [NOPAS] NOPAS

I'm not 100% convinced of what I'm about to write but I do the same.

the illegal modification known as "tundra" is a [.exe] file then an executable file that starts an application with its process that can also be detected by the task manager and if wot has implemented a system to find processes active in the system that can interact with the process [worldoftanks.exe] making illegal changes I think it is detectable the player who uses this modification which is a cheat in the true sense of the term as it is a real program and not a simple mod

However the things you have written are wrong, the mod tundra has effect only on the client of the one who uses it removing the bushes and the trees, but this doesn't modify the system of spotting of the game and indeed that bush that you don't see is still there .

it simply removes vegetation textures from your game and does not affect it as it cannot , the game server

I hope I was clear.

Edited by ValkyrionX, 26 June 2019 - 10:39 PM.

zsplintersz #17 Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:39 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2012 battles

View PostValkyrionX, on 26 June 2019 - 10:37 PM, said:

I'm not 100% convinced of what I'm about to write but I do the same.

the illegal modification known as "tundra" is a [.exe] file then an executable file that starts an application with its process that can also be detected by the task manager and if wot has implemented a system to find processes active in the system that can interact with the process [worldoftanks.exe] making illegal changes I think it is detectable the player who uses this modification which is a cheat in the true sense of the term as it is a real program and not a simple mod

You make this game sound as an trojan horse. When WG can do that its a small stap to automatically pay for their prem accounts, tanks etc. 

Lets be more clear: If WG can monitor your PC processes, taken over your pc whenever they want and the word gets out...EU will intervene and this game will end as an  Russian game only. 

However the things you have written are wrong, the mod tundra has effect only on the client of the one who uses it removing the bushes and the trees, but this doesn't modify the system of spotting of the game and indeed that bush that you don't see is still there .

it simply removes vegetation textures from your game and does not affect it as it cannot , the game server

I hope I was clear.Yep. Its a cheat with advantages and disadvantages. For the experienced players there are bushes where the enemies like to hide. You can blind shoot these bushes. With Tundra mod you cant see these bushes, so you have to turn it of and on many times in the game. And suddenly you are not playing a game but a mod and your game will suffer. For most noobs however this mod is an advantage.

ExclamationMark #18 Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:49 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16785 battles
  • [IDEAD] IDEAD
It is a mod.

TheComfyChair #19 Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:38 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 8732 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

7thSyndicate #20 Posted 27 June 2019 - 01:09 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 46603 battles

View PostExclamationMark, on 26 June 2019 - 10:49 PM, said:

It is a mod.

if it´s an .exe file like he said then it´s not a game modification, it´s an external aplication - game hack

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users