Standard B vs Buffed Leopard PT A

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: StanB vs Leo PTA (51 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Which Med Is The Stronger Package Right Now?

1. Standard B (41 votes [80.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 80.39%

2. Leopard PT A (10 votes [19.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.61%

Vote Hide poll

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:35 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 28940 battles
  • [POOLS] POOLS

Hi guys,

I have both these tank unlocked and really good crew for both but I'm trying to decide which to grind first so maybe those that have played both recently can help shed some light on the topic. Tier9 grinds are rough enough so I'd rather go with the more competitive package first. The Standard B was almost a no brainer initially but now the Leo has been buffed and looks very good now too so that's thrown a spanner into the works so far as deciding what to go with is concerned. What do you guys think, those of you who have played both recently?

Here are the main differences I can see so far "on paper" where one may be stronger than the other. Though they are actually identical in many areas.

Standard B +

+ Burst damage. Has a 3 shot mag worth 1080 dmg.

+ -10 degrees of gun dep vs the Leo -8

+ Slightly better p/w ratio of 21.6 vs 20.3 combined

+ Much better hull traverse deg/s of 60.5 vs 50.3 so it's a more agile and nimble tank(resistances are identical)

+ Slightly better camo

+ Better reverse Speed. 23 vs 20. Combined with the slight p/w edge may just keep this tanks nose clean more than the Leo which could catch a shot when pulling back behind cover a little more often.

Leopard PTA

+ Alpha. 420 alpha vs 360. Pretty strong difference especially at a tier where at times you can only sneak in a safe shot at a time, bigger is better.

+ Reload. When equally upgraded with same equipment and crew skill, the Leo reloads 420 alpha in 8.9 vs 9.3 for 360. This boils down to just what value is put on that burst damage really. If both are played as a single shot tank, clearly the Leo has a massive edge with both a faster reload and alpha... but of course that's NOT how to best play and exploit an A-R tank which is all about bringing that burst damage into play during battles when you spot an injured tank within your burst value or else there's really no point bothering playing it really and of course there's generally always down time during battles where not much is happening and all the while the Standard B is building up free alpha while the single shot tanks are just sitting with a loaded gun gaining nothing plus those moments when tanks are on 2 shots of hp each the mag will win every time generally speaking unless rng or outplayed etc. The question here is, is the that inferior alpha and slower "best reload" time worth the trade in alpha and reload compared to the Leo.

+ DPM. Obviously, since it hits harder and reloads faster. 2.8k vs 2.3k dpm roughly.

+ Aim time. 1.78 vs 2.16

+ Dispersion. .29 vs .33

+ Turret soft stats.(turret traverse) .1 vs .13. When combined with the aim time and dispersion it all sort of adds up to the Leo being better at landing shots, the question is, how much better.

+ View range. 473 vs 462. Camo on the Standard is slightly better so when facing each other is probably going to be about the same but the Leo will still negate more camo on other tanks better so spot other tanks at slightly further ranges and that little bit sooner generally speaking which is a bonus, though the Leo would be get spotted slightly sooner by another tank. 

Edited by TungstenHitman, 27 June 2019 - 09:44 AM.

SuNo_TeSLa #2 Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:39 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 44557 battles
  • [SWEPH] SWEPH

Both great tanks, i find both somewhat hard to carry in though. I'd suppose go with the PTA since it's buffed, then again i Think the prog mod 65 is better than the leopard 1 still?

tajj7 #3 Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:48 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27578 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

PTA is buffed but for paper tanks the ability to burst trumps single shot IMO.

In a bad situation the Standard B can poke and dish out over 1k damage in 6s, which means if that heavy tank has just shot you can poke, get your clip off and retreat before they reload, PTA can only do 420 in comparison and its unlikely the opportunities to do it again will mirror your DPM, so the DPM advantage becomes moot.

Auto-loaders can just trade their health better and I think the current meta that is better. 

TankkiPoju #4 Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:07 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 22771 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
Autoloader > not autoloader.

arthurwellsley #5 Posted 27 June 2019 - 11:56 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 53837 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

I find this quite a difficult choice. I played through the PTA to gain the Leopard 1 quite sometime ago. However I enjoyed the PTA and so never sold it. Although the Leopard 1 has a five perk crew I have played the PTA often enough to now have a three perk crew on it.

The Standard B I have about 90k experience on so I am about halfway to the tier X Italian. I used free experience on the gun and tracks. Commander is the goalkeeper so on four perks rest on three.

I think I may just keep the Standard B.

Marginally I might just favour the Italian, but they are both enjoyable grinds.

I would therefore recommend both.

Edited by arthurwellsley, 27 June 2019 - 02:31 PM.

JocMeister #6 Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:50 PM

Major

• Player
  • 26896 battles

Standard B is life. Might be one of my favorite tanks in the game. 

Havn´t played the buffed PTA that much but looking at my last 1k games:

PTA: 2,3k DPG, 54% WR

Standard B: 2,6k DPG, 56% WR.

Funnily enough the PTA gives higher wn8 which indicates how strong the Standard B is (or how weak the PTA is). That being said my MOE on the PTA dropped from 89% to 74% last week so I guess the buff makes quite a difference and global stats on the PTA will go up.

vasilinhorulezz #7 Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:53 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25191 battles
The only bad thing I find in standard b, is probably the 3 sec intra-clip reload. But burst damage in a lot of situations I guess make it better than the Leo.

Dorander #8 Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:24 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 21014 battles
From my experiences playing the new PTA and being shot by Standard Bs (I don't own that tank myself), I'd say the Standard B is probably the more competitive option 'cause you can dish out more damage when you need to with the clip burst, but you won't regret getting the PTA after. It is a lovely tank in its current form.

TankkiPoju #9 Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:37 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 22771 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostJocMeister, on 27 June 2019 - 04:50 PM, said:

That being said my MOE on the PTA dropped from 89% to 74% last week so I guess the buff makes quite a difference and global stats on the PTA will go up.

Good players are playing German meds again.

TungstenHitman #10 Posted 28 June 2019 - 11:15 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 28940 battles
  • [POOLS] POOLS

View Postarthurwellsley, on 27 June 2019 - 10:56 AM, said:

I find this quite a difficult choice. 

Yes it's a very interesting match up these two and I couldn't decide either. They're very similar and in some areas practically identical so as such I don't think I would be at a loss with either choice really, if I enjoy or dislike the playstyle of one then that would probably be much the same experience with the other. The reason I was looking for some sort of input was that mission which rewarded 25k xp so with both these tanks having typical tier9 monstrously high xp requirements for unlocking modules I didn't want to "waste" that xp on the "inferior" tank so with that being true and the poll leaning in favor of the Standard B I went ahead with starting that grind and so far have the top gun and turret. That shell velocity/pen combo is really really nice I must say but it's a bit sluggish with the stock engine so that forces a certain playstyle I won't expect to be playing as much when this tank is singing with 21.56 p/w ratio. The 360 alpha isn't as much as some tier 9 meds and considerably less than the Leopard but it still feels like you're hammering away with telling and hurtful shots, especially when you can knock in 2 for a relatively quick cheeky 720 alpha plus that ammo rack or fuel fire potential. With the tank discounts currently available I'm gonna pick up the Leopard too and save myself 500k credits thereabouts and not grind it but just leave it in the garage as a tank I can build my free xp up and use on. Once I have enough for that Leo top gun and maybe turret(I think the stock turret hurts this tanks gun handling badly?) I will then grind it just like what I did and currently doing with the Standard B, who's top gun was unlocked with free xp.

Thanks all.

TheDrownedApe #11 Posted 28 June 2019 - 11:28 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 48405 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
depends, If you are like me and a little old don't choose the Standard, the reautoloaderthingymabobby confuses me too much

geoff99 #12 Posted 28 June 2019 - 01:45 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 41806 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

Leo pta's gun buffs are great, but the hp/t and reverse speed nerfs are significant. They particularly increase your exposure when sniping over ridges as the red team have more time to hit you before you can reverse behind cover. On balance, I'm not sure if prefer the pta before or after recent changes.

Std b remains very very strong imo, as long as you can manage the auto reloader. It gives you so many options for sniping or closing in to use the burst damage. That same burst also dissuades (sensible) red players from yolo-ing. The slight hp/t and reverse speed advantage over the pta also adds to its survivability.

TungstenHitman #13 Posted 30 June 2019 - 05:49 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 28940 battles
  • [POOLS] POOLS

View PostTheDrownedApe, on 28 June 2019 - 10:28 AM, said:

depends, If you are like me and a little old don't choose the Standard, the reautoloaderthingymabobby confuses me too much

Not all in fact I find these A-R tanks more forgiving, allows for mistakes more than single shot tanks and therefore would suit you even more than a single shot tank. You just let their mag fill completely then play them the same as a single shot tank but the beauty of these A-R's is that if you make a bad shot(due to old age for example :P) or RNG gives you the middle finger, you have an additional 2 comfort shells to immediately rectify that shot. They also give the comfort of being able to finish off a tank that gets a lucky low roll from your first shot or gets 2 lucky low rolls if he was within your tanks 2 shot value of hp remaining. These sorts of things... or situations where you are being attacked by several tanks that are on low hp, you can mop them up quickly instead of taking too much additional damage the way you would with a single shot tank or maybe even losing because your alpha was great but your reload was not, so I would these tanks would suit you just fine, or anyone for that matter, of any age etc. 

P33K #14 Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:36 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 25498 battles
Leo PT feels quite sluggish, even with top engine and tracks. It doesn't feel much more mobile than 7/1 and that has some armor to use. I'd go with Standard if I had to choose.

Playstyle of course matters, but Leo needs more powerful engine IMHO.

Strizi #15 Posted 30 June 2019 - 07:21 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 41800 battles
The way the game is designed right now makes autoloader stronger unless a tank got retardproof armor or alpha.

TungstenHitman #16 Posted 30 June 2019 - 07:50 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 28940 battles
  • [POOLS] POOLS

View PostP33K, on 30 June 2019 - 05:36 PM, said:

Leo PT feels quite sluggish, even with top engine and tracks. It doesn't feel much more mobile than 7/1 and that has some armor to use. I'd go with Standard if I had to choose.

Playstyle of course matters, but Leo needs more powerful engine IMHO.

Now imagine how slow it is and bad it is entirely as stock. This is a pretty rough experience lol... but I felt I had to drive on with it since there's a X2 and X5 and course a free premium time X3 xp in place at the moment so I've just put up with it for a few battles a short while ago. With the Leo I was considering what path I might take in terms of what module to unlock first, the gun, the turret, the engine or the tracks. I considered perhaps the engine first since this tank is total paper and leans on mobility heavily to stay alive and relocate, get to key positions fast etc but then saw that with a rammer, vstabs and optics I would have to unlock the tracks to equip the engine. Then I considered the turret since both guns suffer without it and so if I took the turret then I would have more potent tank even with the stock gun which isn't a terrible gun along with better view range to keep me alive by spotting trouble a bit sooner plus maybe some light scouting ability but this too needs tracks to equip. The only module that doesn't need tracks to equip while keeping 3 pieces of equipment is the top gun so even though the gun's by far the most expensive piece of equipment at 62k I feel that at least with the gun, albeit an inferior handling gun with the stock turret, at least I will have tank that while is slow and very vulnerable, can chomp great big bites out of enemy tanks from some bush farming back row supporting role map permitting along with having that delicious standard pen, rail gun velocity and 105 pen bone crushing HE shell. In the end, I think a tank that can at least do damage and actually hurt other tanks is better than a fast tank or a tank with better view range and gun handling which can't really bring the pain and make inroads into the enemy teams hp. For now, I'm just making do following around big gun TD's on my team and perma-tracking enemy tanks fat with hp and soaking up tracking assist damage and the odd cheeky pop-shot here and there. It's tough but it's a way I guess!

Spoiler

Standard B is now fully unlocked and that's a really lethal tank, love it. Mops up injured tanks sitting around the battlefield, clips anything of 1k hp or less just racks up the kill count really well.

dex_1950 #17 Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34408 battles
  • [N1GER] N1GER
I can't be objective here because I've never played leo line. But Standard B is such a sweat tank, flexible, not ridiculously OP and crap. I really enjoy it. If LeoPTA has better GH, it could be better in the support role. But Standard has 3x360 which is also nice in close-mid range combat. 

ExclamationMark #18 Posted 30 June 2019 - 09:18 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16785 battles
  • [IDEAD] IDEAD
APCR as standard and APCR premium? No thanks. I'd take the Standard B simply for that fact.

Kozzy #19 Posted 01 July 2019 - 10:36 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 41550 battles
  • [RINSE] RINSE

View Posttajj7, on 27 June 2019 - 08:48 AM, said:

PTA is buffed but for paper tanks the ability to burst trumps single shot IMO.

In a bad situation the Standard B can poke and dish out over 1k damage in 6s, which means if that heavy tank has just shot you can poke, get your clip off and retreat before they reload, PTA can only do 420 in comparison and its unlikely the opportunities to do it again will mirror your DPM, so the DPM advantage becomes moot.

Auto-loaders can just trade their health better and I think the current meta that is better. 

Which is why people complain so much about a tank's DPM.  If it has great alpha or an auto-loader I find this way more useful than outright DPM.  Most engagements aren't just a matter of firing shot after shot as fast as possible.  E25 may be one of the few exceptions to this.

Edited by Kozzy, 02 July 2019 - 10:17 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users