WoT Historical Battles - A New Approach...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

R3dBaron #1 Posted 29 June 2019 - 04:03 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 11638 battles
  • [ENEMY] ENEMY

Hello all,

Here is my proposal to re-introduce historical battles in WoT, using the very popular frontline mode with some tweaks:

Using the date of the historical battle, we can adapt most of the involved nations tech trees tier spread to it and revitalize a lot of WoT tanks that are gathering dust in our garages.

The opposing teams have to fill and maintain through respawn a fixed template of tank types and tiers as per each slide below.

The tier spread can seem a bit large but I tried to include the majority of real tanks that participated in these historical battles. The fixed template exists to maintain the balance between the opposing forces allowing at the same time a more diverse choice of tanks within the allowed tiers for each tank type.

2 new Combat Reserves are introduced: Mine Laying and Mine Clearing. Check slides for more details.

The same map is used for opposite attack directions of the historical battles: El Alamein Map is used for the 1st Battle of El Alamein (1-27JUL1942) and the 2nd Battle of El Alamein (23OCT-11NOV1942). The Ardennes Map is used for The Battle of The Bulge - German Offensive (16-26DEC1944) and The Battle of The Bulge - American Counter-Offensive (27DEC1944-25JAN1945). The Kursk Map is used for The Battle of Kursk - South - German Offensive (5-17JUL1943) and The Battle of Kursk - South - Soviet Counter-Offensive (3-23AUG1943).

The slides below have more detailed information concerning the specific historical battle.

All feedback welcome.

Thank you and best regards.

EDIT: Added Kursk Historical Battle.

Edited by R3dBaron, 29 June 2019 - 06:59 AM.

ValkyrionX #2 Posted 29 June 2019 - 08:00 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 50479 battles
  • [NOPAS] NOPAS
looks like warthunder dude xD 

staurinsh #3 Posted 29 June 2019 - 08:17 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 34047 battles
They are too stupid to make that, but you can have new french panther for 30 euro.

shikaka9 #4 Posted 29 June 2019 - 08:34 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 68628 battles
  • [BULL] BULL
WoT and anything historical .. impossible

PanzerTedo #5 Posted 29 June 2019 - 08:48 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 33909 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A
I also want to see historical battles being reintroduced.

spamhamstar #6 Posted 29 June 2019 - 08:54 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 64313 battles
  • [LLAY] LLAY

I'm not convinced the templates would work very well in practice. 

Say I choose a tier 4 med on either of the el alamain battles.  When I die, I'm going to be stuck with that tank unless someone else has also died at that moment in a tank that I had something similar in my garage.  Of course they'd also have to have a similar tank that I'd just died in so we could swap.

If I like light tanks I can only play this in tier 5 or 6 russian lights, tier 3 or 4 british lights, or tier 3-6 German lights.  There are similar restrictions on every other class and tier, meaning that a lot of players wont want to play or even be able to if they wanted to.

Besides, you're still going to end up with IS3's fighting tiger 2s which is not very historical as the IS3s only participation during ww2 was during the victory parade as it arrived to late for active service.

I do like the idea of historical battles, I'm just not convinced this will work as it is.

Edited by spamhamstar, 29 June 2019 - 08:59 AM.

R3dBaron #7 Posted 29 June 2019 - 10:50 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 11638 battles
  • [ENEMY] ENEMY

View Postspamhamstar, on 29 June 2019 - 07:54 AM, said:

I'm not convinced the templates would work very well in practice. 

Say I choose a tier 4 med on either of the el alamain battles.  When I die, I'm going to be stuck with that tank unless someone else has also died at that moment in a tank that I had something similar in my garage.  Of course they'd also have to have a similar tank that I'd just died in so we could swap.

If I like light tanks I can only play this in tier 5 or 6 russian lights, tier 3 or 4 british lights, or tier 3-6 German lights.  There are similar restrictions on every other class and tier, meaning that a lot of players wont want to play or even be able to if they wanted to.

Besides, you're still going to end up with IS3's fighting tiger 2s which is not very historical as the IS3s only participation during ww2 was during the victory parade as it arrived to late for active service.

I do like the idea of historical battles, I'm just not convinced this will work as it is.

The proposed model of Historical Battles, although uses the Frontline mechanics, does not have the full flexibility of respawn tank choice for the sake of balancing both the amount of top tanks and the amount of tanks per type.

Also, as you said, if 2 or 3 players (from the 30 on each side) die almost simultaneously it is possible to interchange the tank type/tier within the fixed team composition templates. Anyway, I personaly do not think it will be such a big handicap to play the same historical battle with the same tier/type tank. Respawn and restoration times can be tweaked to aliviate its impact, for example lower tiers having a shorter respawn/restoration time than higher tiers.

Concerning some tanks that belong to a tier but dont belong to the period of the historical battle, I believe it is a price to pay to have full tiers to chose from instead of a specific tank, avoiding MM very long queue times.

Thanks for your feedback.

Edited by R3dBaron, 29 June 2019 - 10:53 AM.

spamhamstar #8 Posted 29 June 2019 - 11:39 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 64313 battles
  • [LLAY] LLAY

View PostR3dBaron, on 29 June 2019 - 09:50 AM, said:

The proposed model of Historical Battles, although uses the Frontline mechanics, does not have the full flexibility of respawn tank choice for the sake of balancing both the amount of top tanks and the amount of tanks per type.

Also, as you said, if 2 or 3 players (from the 30 on each side) die almost simultaneously it is possible to interchange the tank type/tier within the fixed team composition templates. Anyway, I personaly do not think it will be such a big handicap to play the same historical battle with the same tier/type tank. Respawn and restoration times can be tweaked to aliviate its impact, for example lower tiers having a shorter respawn/restoration time than higher tiers.

Concerning some tanks that belong to a tier but dont belong to the period of the historical battle, I believe it is a price to pay to have full tiers to chose from instead of a specific tank, avoiding MM very long queue times.

Thanks for your feedback.

It would probably be more historically accurate to have unbalanced teams.  For example you could give the germans a tiger 1 balanced against a couple of t34s or shermans, so both sides would still have the same overall mm weight but one side would have more players than the other.  Or you could give the players in allied countries tanks lower tier tanks that would have actually faced the germans during the war, but give them quicker or more respawns.

I suppose any problems with tank availability could be solved through tank rentals anyway.  Letting players try tanks in this game mode could encourage them to grind them in the main game.

Just some ideas.

mokosha #9 Posted 29 June 2019 - 07:38 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 1335 battles
  • [N17R0] N17R0

View Postspamhamstar, on 29 June 2019 - 10:39 AM, said:

It would probably be more historically accurate to have unbalanced teams.  For example you could give the germans a tiger 1 balanced against a couple of t34s or shermans, so both sides would still have the same overall mm weight but one side would have more players than the other.  Or you could give the players in allied countries tanks lower tier tanks that would have actually faced the germans during the war, but give them quicker or more respawns.

I suppose any problems with tank availability could be solved through tank rentals anyway.  Letting players try tanks in this game mode could encourage them to grind them in the main game.

Just some ideas.

I agree with you spamhamstar, all good ideas that can be mixed to make the mode work.

Edited by mokosha, 29 June 2019 - 07:38 PM.

R3dBaron #10 Posted 30 June 2019 - 03:41 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 11638 battles
  • [ENEMY] ENEMY

View Postspamhamstar, on 29 June 2019 - 10:39 AM, said:

Just some ideas.

Another avenue for Historical Battles is to make it a PvE mode, like the OPERATIONS mode of WoWs.

Players chose their tanks from an available list and then face game generated bots programed to recreate the historical battle.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users