Jump to content


Best hull down tanks


  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Lagalaza #1 Posted 02 July 2019 - 10:18 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 7075 battles
  • 215
  • [D-ANG] D-ANG
  • Member since:
    08-11-2018

Hello again Forum people,

 

Looking for advice again. I know I can do my own research and I will but I would love to know everyones personal experiences of the tanks they recommend and which they think are the best.

 

As the title suggests, I am looking to follow lines that have tanks that excel in hull down situations. Heavies and mediums. I have the T-29 aand FV4202 that are both entirely suited to that style of gameplay, along with the Sherman Jumbo and I am finding hull down to be the style of play I like the most. That and the ability to maybe sidescrape a little.

 

What particular tanks would you recommend me to grind to/invest in?

 

Thanks again for all the help, both with this and past posts requesting advice.assitance. It is all much appreciated.

 

Laga



Dava_117 #2 Posted 02 July 2019 - 10:22 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 21998 battles
  • 4,479
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-17-2014

Surely Conqueror and SConqueror are rally good at hulldown. Then you can add ST-I, french armoured HTs, UK TDs and, if you don't mind bad gun depression, a lot of USSR tanks.

T29, T32, T30 and T34 are all quite good hulldowner too.



Lagalaza #3 Posted 02 July 2019 - 10:25 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 7075 battles
  • 215
  • [D-ANG] D-ANG
  • Member since:
    08-11-2018

View PostDava_117, on 02 July 2019 - 09:22 AM, said:

Surely Conqueror and SConqueror are rally good at hulldown. Then you can add ST-I, french armoured HTs, UK TDs and, if you don't mind bad gun depression, a lot of USSR tanks.

T29, T32, T30 and T34 are all quite good hulldowner too.

 

I think my pet hate in WoT is bad gun depression!!!

Kozzy #4 Posted 02 July 2019 - 10:25 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 41550 battles
  • 3,104
  • [RINSE] RINSE
  • Member since:
    06-29-2011

View PostDava_117, on 02 July 2019 - 09:22 AM, said:

Surely Conqueror and SConqueror are rally good at hulldown. Then you can add ST-I, french armoured HTs, UK TDs and, if you don't mind bad gun depression, a lot of USSR tanks.

T29, T32, T30 and T34 are all quite good hulldowner too.

 

The two Conqs have glaring weak spot next to mantlet and take an age to get into a good hull-down position.

 

As per usual the answer is OP Russian tanks, go 430U or IS7 line for hull down.  Special mention to the T9/10 Swedish mediums and heavies.



Spartan_93 #5 Posted 02 July 2019 - 10:27 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 24461 battles
  • 811
  • [-IDC-] -IDC-
  • Member since:
    10-11-2012

Maybe you should try the ST-I (soviet TIX heavy).

  • 8° gun depression
  • 250mm turret armor
  • 150/140mm hull armor (front/side)


undutchable80 #6 Posted 02 July 2019 - 10:29 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 10821 battles
  • 3,314
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    10-30-2014
UK mediums Cent 1, Cent 7/1, and CAX fit the Bill nicely along what others have written

pecopad #7 Posted 02 July 2019 - 10:30 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 28174 battles
  • 1,924
  • [UGN] UGN
  • Member since:
    09-04-2015

Conqueror is the worst Hull down tank you can have, it has a big whole on the mantlet and a commander hatch that can be penned with HE.

 

T30 is a good choice, the Patriot, Super Pershing, Primo Victoria, Liberte and the non autoloader french heavies, Emil and swedish heavies



If_I_Die_You_Die_Too #8 Posted 02 July 2019 - 11:01 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 8650 battles
  • 704
  • Member since:
    07-14-2016

One or two of these new swedish tanks have like 12 degrees of gun depression

 

Most WoT hills are designed around 10 degrees max

 

soo opportunities abound...



Captain_Kremen0 #9 Posted 02 July 2019 - 11:18 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 38711 battles
  • 2,181
  • [TFMB] TFMB
  • Member since:
    06-04-2011

View Postundutchable80, on 02 July 2019 - 09:29 AM, said:

UK mediums Cent 1, Cent 7/1, and CAX fit the Bill nicely along what others have written

 

Does the Cent 1 need the upgrade turret to do this? I just got this and could do with a few tips.

SuNo_TeSLa #10 Posted 02 July 2019 - 11:20 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 44557 battles
  • 374
  • [SWEPH] SWEPH
  • Member since:
    07-07-2013

View Postpecopad, on 02 July 2019 - 10:30 AM, said:

Conqueror is the worst Hull down tank you can have, it has a big whole on the mantlet and a commander hatch that can be penned with HE.

 

T30 is a good choice, the Patriot, Super Pershing, Primo Victoria, Liberte and the non autoloader french heavies, Emil and swedish heavies

 

Conq isn't that bad, liberté though has a huge weakspot :confused:

Lomion_EU #11 Posted 02 July 2019 - 11:43 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 38782 battles
  • 621
  • [CSW] CSW
  • Member since:
    08-30-2012

View PostSuNo_TeSLa, on 02 July 2019 - 10:20 AM, said:

 

Conq isn't that bad, liberté though has a huge weakspot :confused:

 

But use a bit o gun depression and that weakspot's tricky to see/pen as its far back on the turret.

EzoRedFox #12 Posted 02 July 2019 - 12:56 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 721 battles
  • 57
  • Member since:
    03-09-2018

View PostDava_117, on 02 July 2019 - 10:22 AM, said:

 french armoured HTs

They're really not hulldown tanks, and are comparatively sh*t at hulldown, having 2 large cupolas on top of the turret. The turret front itself is great against standard, but really crap against prem since its either 300 flat, and you can just gold through the mantlet as there's barely any armour overlap.

 

Squonk and Conq are imo the best hulldown tanks as any weakspots they do have are tiny, and with their gun handling you can poke out, fire and pull back before they have the chance to aim. And of course there's stuff like IS-7 where you can turn the turret to the side and still bounce a crap tonne.

 

View PostCaptain_Kremen0, on 02 July 2019 - 11:18 AM, said:

 

Does the Cent 1 need the upgrade turret to do this? I just got this and could do with a few tips.

Yea you will do, the stock Cent 1 turret is garbage.



Dava_117 #13 Posted 02 July 2019 - 02:41 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 21998 battles
  • 4,479
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-17-2014

View PostKozzy, on 02 July 2019 - 10:25 AM, said:

 

The two Conqs have glaring weak spot next to mantlet and take an age to get into a good hull-down position.

 

 

I wouldn't call those weackspots when they range between 300 and 310mm. You need gold and a clear shot to pen it. Of course a good player in a SConqueror will never sit still while reloading nor will engage from a distance where hitting those spots is easy.

 

View PostEzoRedFox, on 02 July 2019 - 12:56 PM, said:

They're really not hulldown tanks, and are comparatively sh*t at hulldown, having 2 large cupolas on top of the turret. The turret front itself is great against standard, but really crap against prem since its either 300 flat, and you can just gold through the mantlet as there's barely any armour overlap.

 

 

Remember that, if you use the full gun depression, you can hide the cupolas almost completely and the great amount of the gun mantlet shifts from 300mm up to 320-400+mm, with just a small central part being 300mm. Not the best, I agree, but summed up with high alpha and thick frontal armour may be a nice combo for learning hulldown while not being just a one trick pony.



Suurpolskija #14 Posted 02 July 2019 - 02:50 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 22815 battles
  • 2,196
  • [KANKI] KANKI
  • Member since:
    01-26-2016

View Postpecopad, on 02 July 2019 - 11:30 AM, said:

Conqueror is the worst Hull down tank you can have, it has a big whole on the mantlet and a commander hatch that can be penned with HE.

 

T30 is a good choice, the Patriot, Super Pershing, Primo Victoria, Liberte and the non autoloader french heavies, Emil and swedish heavies

 

This again? If you think Conqueror is a bad hulldown tank because of the "big hole on the mantlet", why would you ever list these:

 

T30 has overmatchable roof and cheese for a hull. (I love the tank but it's not nearly as good hulldown as Conq)

Patriot gets autoaimed by most tier8 for hull and has big cupola. (again, a good tank, but...) 

S.Pershing sure has trolly armor but it's weakspots are even bigger if you have ever looked through it in tanks.gg. Basically the upper hull and the "riot mask" are the only strong points. 

Liberte has a cupola almost matching the chinese patton. 

 

It's good tanks have weak spots, even hulldown. Conqueror is no exception, but having played through it, I still can't understand how one couldn't make such a beast work wonders. 

 

 



fwhaatpiraat #15 Posted 02 July 2019 - 02:51 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 55612 battles
  • 1,350
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    05-04-2013
British heavy line, Polish heavy line and if you like a bit more mobility I suggest the Britsh mediums (from tier 8 and up) and maybe the American mediums from tier 8 and up.

EzoRedFox #16 Posted 02 July 2019 - 03:03 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 721 battles
  • 57
  • Member since:
    03-09-2018

View PostDava_117, on 02 July 2019 - 02:41 PM, said:

 

Remember that, if you use the full gun depression, you can hide the cupolas almost completely and the great amount of the gun mantlet shifts from 300mm up to 320-400+mm, with just a small central part being 300mm. Not the best, I agree, but summed up with high alpha and thick frontal armour may be a nice combo for learning hulldown while not being just a one trick pony.

The tank is too tall, so the positions where you can use full gun depression and shoot the enemy are few and far between. You also run the risk when you're on a slope of making the lower part of the mantlet less angled, so you can occasionally get penned when you poke your turret up. Granted it doesn't happen too much for me, but its just another thing that makes the tank clunky. It really isn't a hulldown tank, and definitely not a tank for beginners



Dava_117 #17 Posted 02 July 2019 - 03:11 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 21998 battles
  • 4,479
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-17-2014

View PostEzoRedFox, on 02 July 2019 - 03:03 PM, said:

The tank is too tall, so the positions where you can use full gun depression and shoot the enemy are few and far between. You also run the risk when you're on a slope of making the lower part of the mantlet less angled, so you can occasionally get penned when you poke your turret up. Granted it doesn't happen too much for me, but its just another thing that makes the tank clunky. It really isn't a hulldown tank, and definitely not a tank for beginners

 

I agree that using the full gun depression may be tricky, but the lower mantlet part is actually the stronger, ranging from 400 to 600mm of effective armour.

Also considering the 360mm effective UFP and 300mm turret, it is quite noob  friendly in terms of protection



Sfinski #18 Posted 02 July 2019 - 03:19 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 35443 battles
  • 3,408
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-
  • Member since:
    09-26-2013
No-one mentioning swedes? -12 degrees of depression and great turrets...

Innapropriate_Username #19 Posted 02 July 2019 - 03:21 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 12362 battles
  • 734
  • Member since:
    12-12-2015

View PostCaptain_Kremen0, on 02 July 2019 - 11:18 AM, said:

 

Does the Cent 1 need the upgrade turret to do this? I just got this and could do with a few tips.

 

Centurion1 Stock and Upgraded turrets (in real life and history) were around 150mm Thick... thicker than Panther, close to Real-Life Tiger2.

So one day WarGaming decided to take some Soviet Stalinium and paint it over "Upgraded" Centurion turret, so now you have this:

They left Stock same as "OLD", and Upgraded well you can see from picture.

 

Turret front only 6mm less than on the Maus, same as on Tier9 "Super Heavy" E75 tank, but with 90mm thick roof so resistant to HEAT, very Historic.

 

British tanks are "Good Hull down tanks" because of Fantasy Buffs, they are good TD's and good Heavy tanks, good DPM, good Medium, good mobility, they are all good.

 

They were same as German tanks, Tiger... Panther.. Panther88 is the same as it was in 2016/17,

While Premium Centurion got Fantasy Upper plate, Fantasy Turret, and Fantasy Soft-Stats.



pecopad #20 Posted 02 July 2019 - 03:26 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 28174 battles
  • 1,924
  • [UGN] UGN
  • Member since:
    09-04-2015

View PostSuurpolskija, on 02 July 2019 - 02:50 PM, said:

 

This again? If you think Conqueror is a bad hulldown tank because of the "big hole on the mantlet", why would you ever list these:

 

T30 has overmatchable roof and cheese for a hull. (I love the tank but it's not nearly as good hulldown as Conq)

Patriot gets autoaimed by most tier8 for hull and has big cupola. (again, a good tank, but...) 

S.Pershing sure has trolly armor but it's weakspots are even bigger if you have ever looked through it in tanks.gg. Basically the upper hull and the "riot mask" are the only strong points. 

Liberte has a cupola almost matching the chinese patton. 

 

It's good tanks have weak spots, even hulldown. Conqueror is no exception, but having played through it, I still can't understand how one couldn't make such a beast work wonders. 

 

 

 

Well, I don't think you are familiar with the whole on the Conqueror mantlet... and its much easier to hit a mantlet who is directly aiming at you than any cuppola in the game.

 

Did you play the conqueror before of after the update? Because from your comments its sounds like you play it when its was a sound tank.

 

Liberte hatch is 41 mm, Conqueror is 31, the T30 roof is 38 mm... Also Conqueror hatch is central while the liberte is offset, which makes all the difference since you can hide it,while central weak spots above gun you can't


Edited by pecopad, 02 July 2019 - 03:31 PM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users