Steamrolls of Doom

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Linkowich #1 Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:49 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 61787 battles
  • [_VH_] _VH_

75% (or more) of my games are won or lost in under 5 min. Most common results, 4-15, 15-3 etc. But 2-15 or even 0-15 are not uncommon.

This has accelerated last 6 months and it isnt fun, not fun at all. Its superhard to get good games cause you are either raped after 4 min cause 1 flank already collapsed and you are being engaged by 6 swarming enemies or your side roflstomp the enemy and once you reach the frontline the match is almost over.

What may be the cause of this?

fwhaatpiraat #2 Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 55586 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
Any numbers to support this statement, or just feels?

If_I_Die_You_Die_Too #3 Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8567 battles

Feels are enough

When my 220pen ammo bounces off a pantera front plate at 10 yards I know that "your special RNG for this game" is in operation

When my clear across the map shot lands amazingly on some poor sods head I know that "your special RNG for this game" is in operation

and I play accordingly

At the end of the day it isn't really ME winning or losing, its the edited RNG

I can live with it since its a good game but its pretty edited annoying

Edited by If_I_Die_You_Die_Too, 04 July 2019 - 12:10 PM.

facmanpob #4 Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:09 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 3271 battles
  • [WW3] WW3

View PostLinkowich, on 04 July 2019 - 10:49 AM, said:

75% (or more) of my games are won or lost in under 5 min. 

And yet, last night, 75% of my battles were not like you describe. I had a game on Lakeville that ended 15-13, an awesome battle on Karelia that ended 15-10 but went down to the last 3 minutes before we won, another 15-10 win on Mannerheim where me and my platoonmate held the southern flank against 5 enemy tanks, allowing the rest of our team to push hard in the north and eventually cap out, and others of that ilk. There were only a couple of battles that could be considered steamrolls.

If_I_Die_You_Die_Too #5 Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:15 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8567 battles

I got rid of all my verticals and aiming thingys because I noticed that some days they work well

and other days, they dont

But if you swapped them about for gold you saw an immediate improvement

Now I just run with crew skills only

Linkowich #6 Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:25 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 61787 battles
  • [_VH_] _VH_

I dont feel, I play.

The purpose of this post was not having "to defend" my claim (which is impossible since the game doesnt store that kind of data) but instead to discuss the cause of increasing amounts of steamrolls..........

evilchaosmonkey #7 Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:35 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17832 battles
  • [EIGHT] EIGHT

View PostLinkowich, on 04 July 2019 - 11:25 AM, said:

I dont feel, I play.

The purpose of this post was not having "to defend" my claim (which is impossible since the game doesnt store that kind of data) but instead to discuss the cause of increasing amounts of steamrolls..........

You don't need to feel, WG confirmed the existence of what they termed "turbo games" two years ago. 

This was one of the driving factors behind the then new MM - which itself proved a disaster.

State of games is terrible IMO.  Large numbers of games with most of the team way below average win rate (same on both sides, so at least balanced).

Suspect more experienced players have left, coupled with the accelerated credits and XP gifted out these days means the earned grind giving game experience (and lessons how to play) to tier 8 and beyond happens too quickly.

This will just continue to drag down the gameplay and amplify the spiral of experienced players leaving.

Dorander #8 Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:36 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 21014 battles

View PostIf_I_Die_You_Die_Too, on 04 July 2019 - 11:03 AM, said:

Feels are enough

:teethhappy::teethhappy::teethhappy:

No they aren't. Reality doesn't depend on your feelings.

View PostLinkowich, on 04 July 2019 - 11:25 AM, said:

I dont feel, I play.

If you can't substantiate your claim that these steamrolls are actually increasing, what's there to discuss?

Sirebellus #9 Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22351 battles
Numbers would be interesting... for example, being of a slightly OCD state of mind I record my games, and I know that the last 15-0 (or 0-15) I was involved in was on February 5th, 1,551 games ago

And yet apparently they are 'not uncommon', one post in another thread at the weekend said that for him they were an 'almost daily occurrence' - which as you can see is not my experience.
This could be because I play a lot of games at T4, 5 & 6 where games are usually more frenetic (and consequently for me less boring) than T10 games... and faster paced so 5-6 minutes is pretty average, and I don't mind that

Rati_Festa #10 Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:00 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 48588 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Classic.

Homer_J #11 Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:05 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31689 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostLinkowich, on 04 July 2019 - 11:49 AM, said:

75% (or more) of my games are won or lost in under 5 min.

Go here, run the analyser on your replays, come back with the figures and we will talk.

Until then it's just confirmation bias.

facmanpob #12 Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:18 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 3271 battles
  • [WW3] WW3

View PostRati_Festa, on 04 July 2019 - 12:00 PM, said:

Classic.

Always loved Bill Ward's drumming on this song :honoring:

pecopad #13 Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:18 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28134 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

View PostLinkowich, on 04 July 2019 - 11:49 AM, said:

75% (or more) of my games are won or lost in under 5 min. Most common results, 4-15, 15-3 etc. But 2-15 or even 0-15 are not uncommon.

This has accelerated last 6 months and it isnt fun, not fun at all. Its superhard to get good games cause you are either raped after 4 min cause 1 flank already collapsed and you are being engaged by 6 swarming enemies or your side roflstomp the enemy and once you reach the frontline the match is almost over.

What may be the cause of this?

Because contrary to what many believe players actually prefer unbalanced steam roll games. Its like this in all multi player games you can play, and developers are only answering to our requests.

Most players don't mind losing a few games if they have a good game where they can stomp the noobs. And high skill players like flashing their skill the most against bad opposition, having OP characters and tanks, etc

When WoT players start preferring long tactical games to fast kill the noobs, high damage for a few hand full of players, then WG is going to deliver balanced games.

Dorander #14 Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:25 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 21014 battles

View Postpecopad, on 04 July 2019 - 12:18 PM, said:

Because contrary to what many believe players actually prefer unbalanced steam roll games. Its like this in all multi player games you can play, and developers are only answering to our requests.

Most players don't mind losing a few games if they have a good game where they can stomp the noobs. And high skill players like flashing their skill the most against bad opposition, having OP characters and tanks, etc

When WoT players start preferring long tactical games to fast kill the noobs, high damage for a few hand full of players, then WG is going to deliver balanced games.

Then how do you explain Frontline's popularity?

The core of random WoT battles will never change, it'd change the very nature of the game. Onesided battles are a result of the snowball effect, the only method to remove this is by allowing respawns such as Frontline does, reducing the penalty of losing a gun early in the battle. Similarly in Frontline, the effect of team imbalance is diluted as a good player has less impact as 1/30th than they do as 1/15th. But everybody looooves Frontline (obvious hyperbole, before anyone goes "not me!")

pecopad #15 Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:33 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28134 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

View PostDorander, on 04 July 2019 - 01:25 PM, said:

Then how do you explain Frontline's popularity?

The core of random WoT battles will never change, it'd change the very nature of the game. Onesided battles are a result of the snowball effect, the only method to remove this is by allowing respawns such as Frontline does, reducing the penalty of losing a gun early in the battle. Similarly in Frontline, the effect of team imbalance is diluted as a good player has less impact as 1/30th than they do as 1/15th. But everybody looooves Frontline (obvious hyperbole, before anyone goes "not me!")

Frontline is not popular, have you even been playing the mode anymore?

Its like 60 players queue with 40 arty waiting. Nobody plays the objectives,all are interested only in farming the rank...

Snowball effect can happen but that does not explain the fast games. Nothing better illustrates this has the ranked battles,fast and furious games, with all players going to one flank.

And its not only in WoT, its in all the games I have played ever since I can remember playing them. Headless chickens running around bunny hopping and shooting anything that moves, mode....

Edited by pecopad, 04 July 2019 - 01:37 PM.

Suurpolskija #16 Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:38 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 22815 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI

There must be something wrong in the way you play, then. I haven't idea how most of my games end, but every time I see these threads the few I just played have been close ones ( 15 - 12 just now). 

Roflstomps occur pretty much when one of the teams succeeds in using it's momentum and the enemy team doesn't react to minimap in time, for example: 

Steppes 

Team 1 has scout in mid, 12 tanks east one basecamper and one random heavy west.

Team 2 has 4 tanks east 5 basecampers and 6 tanks west but are too afraid to push a hulldown lonely heavy. 

Result: Team one boldly push the ditch in the east killing the 4 tanks with ease and snatch the 5 basecampers one by one in fast pace. At this point half of the west tanks come to defend while 3 push the lonely heavy.

Game results in 15-1 win for team 1 before game has aged 4 minutes. 

This scenario happens pretty often and it doesn't really matter if the player skills are even or close. Sometimes even good players are in a wrong position in a wrong tank to react something the enemy team does. 

Tyrrenus #17 Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:49 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 13516 battles

Oh yes, games are indeed shorter. Much shorter than when I started playing, 14 months ago. And, sorry to whine, but I especially blame wheeled vehicles for this. When you have whole teams spotted - quite often - within 20 or less seconds after the game has started....... Because if it’s not the wheelies fault, why are game shorter?

Dorander #18 Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:51 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 21014 battles

View Postpecopad, on 04 July 2019 - 12:33 PM, said:

Frontline is not popular, have you even been playing the mode anymore?

Its like 60 players queue with 40 arty waiting. Nobody plays the objectives,all are interested only in farming the rank...

Snowball effect can happen but that does not explain the fast games. Nothing better illustrates this has the ranked battles,fast and furious games, with all players going to one flank.

And its not only in WoT, its in all the games I have played ever since I can remember playing them. Headless chickens running around bunny hopping and shooting anything that moves, mode....

If Frontline is not popular, why are people playing it, reporting on the forums how much they enjoy this mode, discussing and giving feedback? How do you think you can draw any conclusions about the popularity from the queue? Has it ever occurred to you that people simply get into games in seconds so they don't need to queue, except for those who think it's a great idea to massively queue up for the only tank class that has a population limit per game?

It doesn't matter that people don't play for the objectives, though incidentally that is flat out false. Attackers are more prone to winning too early than they are to not attempting to win at all.

How do you even imagine people going to one flank means that the snowball effect can't explain the results that follow? It reinforces its concept: that whomever has the numerical advantage in a battle, will come out disproportionally better than the other side, because the other side loses tanks faster which rapidly deteriorates their ability to inflict damage. It's simple maths, if two equal tanks fight one equal tank, you don't end up with one surviving equal tank on the winning side, you end up with 1.5.

People run around like headless chickens in games because that's what they like to do, not because it gives steamroll results. In shooters especially, people are impatient, trigger-happy. That doesn't mean they necessarily enjoy the outcome. WoT has plenty players like this too, they usually end up being a liability for their team who's suddenly outnumbered because a few tanks went "yolooooo".

Negativvv #19 Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11576 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE
Would you rather a quick stomp or a loss that takes 10mins + to resolve?

I guess the latter for someone who isn't yolo.

dd_keky #20 Posted 04 July 2019 - 02:02 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9941 battles
  • [BESNI] BESNI

View PostTyrrenus, on 04 July 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

Oh yes, games are indeed shorter. Much shorter than when I started playing, 14 months ago. And, sorry to whine, but I especially blame wheeled vehicles for this. When you have whole teams spotted - quite often - within 20 or less seconds after the game has started....... Because if it’s not the wheelies fault, why are game shorter?

Its not wheeled vehicles problem, its just mm how matching type of tanks rather then accutual rateing of players. Also once again wheeled vehiles are blind as bats, bad and turrning etc etc.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users