The Joy of Six

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Bulldog_Drummond #1 Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:11 PM

General

• Player
  • 32508 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I'm not really much of a medium tank man, as I usually either get blasted by heavies or circled by lights.  But I have been finding the Tier VI pseudo-Panthers like VK3002M and Pudel quite refreshing.  The armour (being Tier VII armour) is okay if you are careful, and I have managed some steel walls, The gun is good enough to pen anything, and the speed is also decent.

You could maybe say the same thing about the Tiger 131 and Japanese Tiger, but I find them less effective.

Is there any point in going up to the regular Tier VII version of Panther or Tiger?

Dorander #2 Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:20 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 21014 battles

The point of going on to the Panther, is to reach the love that is E50. Prepare for some pain working through the Panther I and II though.

Not sure why you'd grind the Tiger line these days... Tiger I and II are amazingly powercrept, E75 and E100 are pretty powercrept. Unless you can swap to the Maus line at some point, I don't have the game running so I'm not sure where the arrows go exactly.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #3 Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:22 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 53201 battles
  • [OBY] OBY

First so nice to see you back and hope everything is going well. :)

The tier 7 Panther got more pen and more HP but that's it. It's harder to find a place for the Panther in a randoms especially in tier 9 battles. Usually you're playing against more experienced players in better tanks. It's harder in any tank to be a pure sniper with bad mobility as you go up the tiers.

Same applies to a certain degree for both the tier 7 tigers. You lose more mobility but gain very little useful armor and some DPM. They're less flexible and effective than their tier 6 counterparts.

r00barb #4 Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:37 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26706 battles

Welcome back, Bulldog! :honoring:

Having played through the Panthers and getting part-way through the Tiger I, all I can say is that they're worth grinding if you want the tanks higher up in the tech tree. The E 50 is worth it, I don't know about the heavies. It's a lot of pew-pew against tanks that can spot you pretty easily and your armour isn't so great comparatively. I sold both Panthers as soon as I'd finished the grinds, I'll be selling the Tiger I once I finish that as I have a 131, which is a much better option tier for tier.

Leepants #5 Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:45 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 19608 battles
  • [ZIIP] ZIIP
TBH, as I'm proper garbage at t9 / TX and I have too many premiums, I have started derping about in t5 / t6. I've not gone the whole "bajillion crew skills" thing, but it's great fun. T7 is trickier now (sadly where most of my grinders are) but the t7 wheelie is ridiculous fun, but I grinning plenty and have little frustration at t5 / t6 / t7. WoT has basically become a game again - a thing to put time in and have fun doing so. Biggest drama is credits. T8 premiums are the credit makers, basically.

Bulldog_Drummond #6 Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:31 PM

General

• Player
  • 32508 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Thanks, guys, nice to be back after a relaxing break.  Yeah I share your doubts about these at tier 7 but at tier 6 the pseudo-Panther in particular seems to work quite well as a sniper/exploit combo.

Always interesting to compare Tiger vs Panther in reality.  Panther looks better on paper but had a lot of cheap shortcuts in the design.

PhooBar #7 Posted 05 July 2019 - 10:23 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 20185 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Oh shite, somebody left the cage open again...

Bulldog_Drummond #8 Posted 05 July 2019 - 11:24 PM

General

• Player
  • 32508 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostPhooBar, on 05 July 2019 - 09:23 PM, said:

Oh shite, somebody left the cage open again...

Let's talk about six.

Let's tell it how it is, and how it could be
How it was, and of course, how it should be

Another personal favourite six of mine is the AC4, perhaps it's a big sluggish, but it has remarkable penetration.

Edited by Bulldog_Drummond, 05 July 2019 - 11:33 PM.

Dorander #9 Posted 06 July 2019 - 12:32 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 21014 battles
I was grinding the Chinese line to WZ111-5A, and spent some battles in the Type 58. I don't like how it plays but it's remarkably effective.

Element6 #10 Posted 06 July 2019 - 12:45 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30952 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 05 July 2019 - 11:24 PM, said:

Let's talk about six.

Let's tell it how it is, and how it could be
How it was, and of course, how it should be

Another personal favourite six of mine is the AC4, perhaps it's a big sluggish, but it has remarkable penetration.

Not too shabby top speed either, once it gets there. Phallacious piece of machinery.

Bordhaw #11 Posted 06 July 2019 - 09:47 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 14128 battles

View Postr00barb, on 05 July 2019 - 07:37 PM, said:

Welcome back, Bulldog! :honoring:

School holidays have started...

Bulldog_Drummond #12 Posted 06 July 2019 - 01:17 PM

General

• Player
  • 32508 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostBordhaw, on 06 July 2019 - 08:47 AM, said:

School holidays have started...

Yeah, I'm hiding from my parents and pretending to revise calculus.  Somehow WoT seems more interesting.

Gruff_ #13 Posted 06 July 2019 - 03:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19297 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Tiger is an enjoyable tank for me so I would recommend it, though not as strong as the T29 in traditional heavy role.

Negativvv #14 Posted 06 July 2019 - 03:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11576 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

Panther I and Tiger I are both playable although neither really fit in the traditional role of their class which does anger the un-initiated in game.

Panther I has a lot of HP for the tier so if you save your health you can bully the enemy come late game possibly. That's off set by the awful damage per shot but tracking and 200 pen are your friends.

Tiger I has excellent DPM for a HT along with very good view range. Combined with the relatively good mobility you can offer heavy support where it's needed. 

I genuinely enjoy both and will try to 3 MoE both of them at some stage. 

The T8 Tiger II and Panther II however :hiding:

arthurwellsley #15 Posted 06 July 2019 - 05:21 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 53837 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

Welcome back BD

Lets talk medium tier VI ( I have played them all and have kept quite a few - the ones with an asterix);

A-43* = I use this for set on fire missions as the rapid fire gun gives punishing dpm despite the small alpha. It's highly effective.

T34-85* = decent alpha, decent ROF bouncy armour when angled. The all round best tier VI if in the form of the premium T34-85M*.

M4A3E8* = back in 2011 one of the best at this tier, now sadly power crept, but still highly enjoyable. Plus premium versions.

M4A3E2 = derp HE mobile

Type 58 - looks like the T34-85 apart from the gun that comes in a similar flavour to the A-43. High dpm lower alpha a bit bouncy.

Cromwell* = very good but unforgiving. Harder to play than the T34-85, but due to the speed and ROF has more potential. Not  one for beginners. Plus premium version.

Firefly* = Surprisingly good thanks to the gun, but not as good as T34-85 or Cromwell. Plus premium version.

vk 30.01 (P) = weirdly surprisingly easy to do well in once you get used to its foibles.

vk 30.01(d) = stock horrible, once elite much better.

vk 30.02(m) = the best Panther in tier. Pudel* and Bretange actually seem slightly less good, which is unusual for tech tree vs premium versions

Type 4 Chi To = to big, the tier V is better in its tier as is the tier V premium. Just a bit meh.

Skoda T25 = iinteresting as it has an auto loader at tier VI, and is better than the premium Skoda T40*

strv 74 and it's premium copy* = auto loaders so interesting and effective.

P.43 bis = nothing special.

40TP Habatacha = urgh. Pudel is better.

I keep meaning to buy back the VK 30.02(M) as I kept the crew. The tier VII Panther and tier VIII Panther II are not very good in tier, special mention for the warcrimes premium at tier VII which can be made to work, I like tier IX e50 but stock pretty nasty.

Edited by arthurwellsley, 06 July 2019 - 05:25 PM.

Bulldog_Drummond #16 Posted 06 July 2019 - 07:08 PM

General

• Player
  • 32508 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postarthurwellsley, on 06 July 2019 - 04:21 PM, said:

Welcome back BD

Lets talk medium tier VI ( I have played them all and have kept quite a few - the ones with an asterix);

A-43* = I use this for set on fire missions as the rapid fire gun gives punishing dpm despite the small alpha. It's highly effective.

T34-85* = decent alpha, decent ROF bouncy armour when angled. The all round best tier VI if in the form of the premium T34-85M*.

M4A3E8* = back in 2011 one of the best at this tier, now sadly power crept, but still highly enjoyable. Plus premium versions.

M4A3E2 = derp HE mobile

Type 58 - looks like the T34-85 apart from the gun that comes in a similar flavour to the A-43. High dpm lower alpha a bit bouncy.

Cromwell* = very good but unforgiving. Harder to play than the T34-85, but due to the speed and ROF has more potential. Not  one for beginners. Plus premium version.

Firefly* = Surprisingly good thanks to the gun, but not as good as T34-85 or Cromwell. Plus premium version.

vk 30.01 (P) = weirdly surprisingly easy to do well in once you get used to its foibles.

vk 30.01(d) = stock horrible, once elite much better.

vk 30.02(m) = the best Panther in tier. Pudel* and Bretange actually seem slightly less good, which is unusual for tech tree vs premium versions

Type 4 Chi To = to big, the tier V is better in its tier as is the tier V premium. Just a bit meh.

Skoda T25 = iinteresting as it has an auto loader at tier VI, and is better than the premium Skoda T40*

strv 74 and it's premium copy* = auto loaders so interesting and effective.

P.43 bis = nothing special.

40TP Habatacha = urgh. Pudel is better.

I keep meaning to buy back the VK 30.02(M) as I kept the crew. The tier VII Panther and tier VIII Panther II are not very good in tier, special mention for the warcrimes premium at tier VII which can be made to work, I like tier IX e50 but stock pretty nasty.

Thanks Arthur

Interesting that you like the VK3002M best of the three identikit pseudo-Panthers.  So do I, despite it having a worse crew than my Pudel and ostensibly being the same thing.  The Bretagne seems the worst of the three.  I was playing a few in VK3002M last night and if you are careful the armour is awesome.  The quick fire gun is also ace at whacking wheelies.

• I also agree that the T34-85 and T34-85M are good.
  • Any thoughts on AC4?  It's not popular but I like it.
  • I can't make the Firefly work for me
  • Cromwell is good but I find it a bit scary, too fast for me
  • Thunderbolt also seems to work for me

arthurwellsley #17 Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:23 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 53837 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 06 July 2019 - 06:08 PM, said:

Thanks Arthur

Interesting that you like the VK3002M best of the three identikit pseudo-Panthers.  So do I, despite it having a worse crew than my Pudel and ostensibly being the same thing.  The Bretagne seems the worst of the three.  I was playing a few in VK3002M last night and if you are careful the armour is awesome.  The quick fire gun is also ace at whacking wheelies.

• I also agree that the T34-85 and T34-85M are good.
  • Any thoughts on AC4?  It's not popular but I like it.
  • I can't make the Firefly work for me
  • Cromwell is good but I find it a bit scary, too fast for me
  • Thunderbolt also seems to work for me

I had no thoughts on the AC4 as it is one of the few tanks ingame that I do not own and have never played (save a few games on the test server). I normally only comment on tanks if I have a decent number of games in, sufficient to form a solid opinion.

Personally I am finding the Thunderbolt inferior to the M4A3E8 and the Fury. Although the Thunderbolt has better armour, it has inferior speed to the other two, and I prize speed in a tier VI medium.

The Firefly works for me, which I find peculiar because objectively it's not especially good in tier, and the speed is somewhat lacklustre.

Cromwell is just very amusing, the speed is awesome.

Edited by arthurwellsley, 07 July 2019 - 03:24 PM.

wsatnutter #18 Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:26 AM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 26242 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
Welcome back you have been missed muchly 

Suurpolskija #19 Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:28 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 22815 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI

Hi there BD! Nice to have you back on the forums. 

I actually after reading this took my Cromwell for a spin today. Now, in the prospect of the upcoming UK lights I've had the thought, I'd grind the xp on Crommy and after all these years I'd sell it since it's been mostly just gathering dust for a long time. I probably have less than 5 games in it for the last 2 years. 

But oh boy after the 3 games I played today, I'm yet again convinced I'll never ever sell it! It's brilliant! Fast, good gun depression and that DPM! From those 3 games in all of them I was able to do some cool flanking ambush maneuver that netted me some nice dmg and kills, and in two of the games it proved to be the deciding blow to get the win. 

Crommy still reigns supreme! 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users