Bringing Tank Rewards to Europe

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

Sfinski #41 Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:19 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 36854 battles

View PostCommander_Kakapo, on 07 July 2019 - 02:04 PM, said:

"A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing" - Oscar Wilde, 'Lady Windermere's Fan', 1891

Doesnt really fit here...

KanonenVogel19 #42 Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 390 battles

View Postr00barb, on 07 July 2019 - 12:36 PM, said:

the context of the TankRewards scheme is that you can earn tank rewards for playing the game.

It still boils down to the same logic. If a player is not interested in any of these 3 tanks, why should he consider them a gift? They only become a gift when the player receiving them actually wants them. If the receiver doesn't want the gift, only the giver can call it a gift. In this case, WG calls it a gift, because they give it, but not all players will perceive this as a gift, because they're not interested in the item. Just because we all play WoT doesn't mean that anything in WoT is going to be perceived as a gift.

That's why I gave you the example I did. As soon as I give you anything, I can call it a gift. The question is if you will perceive it as a gift.

View Postr00barb, on 07 July 2019 - 12:36 PM, said:

If that's really how you feel then I have a lot of sympathy for anyone who knows you personally.

So you're trying to say that you define a gift from the perspective of the one giving the gift, and not from the perspective of the one receiving the gift? Why would the receiver be happy to get something that the giver finds valueable? If you don't understand the point I'm making here, I don't think that you will understand the point I'm making regards tank rewards either.

12:24 Added after 4 minutes

View PostCommander_Kakapo, on 07 July 2019 - 01:04 PM, said:

"A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing" - Oscar Wilde, 'Lady Windermere's Fan', 1891

Not really sure what you want to say with this, but to use your own quote... The value of something is not only defined by the one giving it, but also by the one receiving it. You might have a pen that you value above everything. If you give that pen to someone else, they might not value it just because you valued it. For them, it's just an ordinary pen and they already have 100 pens. Is this concept really that hard to grasp?

DiSaBor #43 Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:26 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 20332 battles

Why not bring the sheriff system to EU ?

Nice move tho.

Claeste #44 Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:33 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 13053 battles
  • [TC-P] TC-P
''Important: There will be no Gold or Credits compensation if you already own these tanks.''  change it or better don't do this event.

Edited by Claeste, 07 July 2019 - 01:33 PM.

BrinklyWollox #45 Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:37 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27533 battles

View PostKanonenVogel19, on 07 July 2019 - 12:20 PM, said:

It still boils down to the same logic. If a player is not interested in any of these 3 tanks, why should he consider them a gift? They only become a gift when the player receiving them actually wants them. If the receiver doesn't want the gift, only the giver can call it a gift. In this case, WG calls it a gift, because they give it, but not all players will perceive this as a gift, because they're not interested in the item. Just because we all play WoT doesn't mean that anything in WoT is going to be perceived as a gift.

That's why I gave you the example I did. As soon as I give you anything, I can call it a gift. The question is if you will perceive it as a gift.

A lot of semantic waffle doesn't change anything. We're talking about the TankRewards programme as part of the game, not gifts in general.

View PostKanonenVogel19, on 07 July 2019 - 12:20 PM, said:

So you're trying to say that you define a gift from the perspective of the one giving the gift, and not from the perspective of the one receiving the gift? Why would the receiver be happy to get something that the giver finds valueable? If you don't understand the point I'm making here, I don't think that you will understand the point I'm making regards tank rewards either.

If you don't understand what I'm saying, ask me what I mean. It's a lot easier than claiming I'm trying to say something that I'm not in order to re-frame my argument into something you can rebut.

That said, if someone gave me something they considered valuable then yes, I'd probably be grateful even if I had no use for it because they've thought of me and made a present of that thing despite its value to them. Doesn't mean I wouldn't donate it to charity shop a couple of weeks later without telling them; it's the thought behind the gift that counts.

Unless, of course, they've suffered a catastrophic head injury and happen to think that turds are made of gold or something, though that's a fairly extreme example ... wait, is that what happened to you? It would explain your position in this discussion ... :amazed:

Jumping_Turtle #46 Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:45 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 70728 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT
I already have all three of them. Will I be able to save the points for the second phase ?

Miepie #47 Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4732 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostKanonenVogel19, on 07 July 2019 - 01:20 PM, said:

Clearly you do not have a four-year-old nephew who practiced for two weeks to badly sing Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" [1] as a birthday gift to you. :unsure:

[1] his parents picked up a really cheap keyboard at a garage sale that had that song pre-programmed as a MIDI-file in it.

Eyesan #48 Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:50 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 78080 battles

View Postundutchable80, on 07 July 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

Sell the tank in your garage 1 battle before being able to get it again for free. 

Sneaky :)  (If it works).

I'd get over 300k credits for my M4 ... but then I'd lose the camo on the tank & 30 gold for removing the equipments I have on it, so won't be bothering myself, but this may be a good idea for some.

akk70 #49 Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:51 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 52847 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--
free tanks and stuff for playing game . me like lot

eekeeboo #50 Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:53 PM

EU Video Content Manager

• WG Staff
  • 47353 battles

View Post8126Jakobsson, on 07 July 2019 - 11:58 AM, said:

Sup eek. Got an update on the Axis mission status? Wouldn't mind if you let it be and just shipped the stuff to those of us that entered that code. :child:

Hello sorry, I thought there was an update posted, the issue was fixed yesterday and we hoped people would get it activated but it's the weekend so I haven't been able to check. 

Simona2k #51 Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2757 battles
  • [GGLT] GGLT
so interesting

BrinklyWollox #52 Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:55 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27533 battles

View PostEyesan, on 07 July 2019 - 12:50 PM, said:

I'd get over 300k credits for my M4 ... but then I'd lose the camo on the tank ...

That's not been the case since ... well, since forever. These days the camo would be returned to your depot. In the old days the camo would be made available again when you got your replacement M4 as it was tied to the tank but not to a single specific tank, only the particular model.

eekeeboo #53 Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:56 PM

EU Video Content Manager

• WG Staff
  • 47353 battles

View PostDiSaBor, on 07 July 2019 - 12:26 PM, said:

Why not bring the sheriff system to EU ?

Nice move tho.

The sheriff system encourages people to go hunting and focusing those accounts, overall this is not something you want to encourage on such a large server. Even to this day staff with WG tag will get solo yolo'd, many consider xvm focus as toxic, now imagine getting focused for having WG in your tag and you're trying to just test a tank etc. 

On top of the above you then need to remember the EU server is significantly larger than the NA server and finding an account to get goodies is somewhat minimal. 

KanonenVogel19 #54 Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 390 battles

View Postr00barb, on 07 July 2019 - 01:37 PM, said:

We're talking about the TankRewards programme as part of the game, not gifts in general.

It still follows the same principle. It makes no sense to try to separate these two instances since it boils down to the exact same logic.

I'd probably be grateful even if I had no use for it because they've thought of me and made a present

If they thought of you, they would have given you something that was valuable to you, not to them.

it's the thought behind the gift that counts.

If it's the thought that counts (which I agree on), then even more important to make the gift valuable to the receiver. If you're just giving someone a gift for the sake of being generous, you're doing it for yourself and not the other person.

happen to think that turds are made of gold or something

This is the point you're not understanding. If the receiver finds turds valuable, they're a great gift. For someone that doesn't find turds valuable, they're not a great gift. Once again, it boils down to if the receiver wants the item or not, that's what makes it a true gift.

is that what happened to you?

I get fake gifts all the time. Last time I can remember was when Steam sent me a random game key "gift". I activated it and got some silly rediculous looking game that I wouldn't even like to install on my PC. Yes, great "gift", thank you a lot Steam... not.

13:00 Added after 3 minutes

View PostMiepie, on 07 July 2019 - 01:46 PM, said:

Clearly you do not have a four-year-old nephew who practiced for two weeks to badly sing Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" [1] as a birthday gift to you. :unsure:

[1] his parents picked up a really cheap keyboard at a garage sale that had that song pre-programmed as a MIDI-file in it.

As I said, if the receiver finds the gift valuable, it's a great gift :)

Edited by KanonenVogel19, 07 July 2019 - 02:02 PM.

Miepie #55 Posted 07 July 2019 - 02:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4732 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostKanonenVogel19, on 07 July 2019 - 01:56 PM, said:

If they thought of you, they would have given you something that was valuable to you, not to them.

As I said, if the receiver finds the gift valuable, it's a great gift :)

This is where we enter into Gödel-Esscher-Bach recursive / paradoxical territory: it's valuable to me precisely because it is valuable to him. 

BrinklyWollox #56 Posted 07 July 2019 - 02:19 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27533 battles

View PostKanonenVogel19, on 07 July 2019 - 12:56 PM, said:

It still follows the same principle. It makes no sense to try to separate these two instances since it boils down to the exact same logic.

No, it doesn't follow the same principle at all. One is a gift in a general sense, the other is a promotional item earned through engaging with the product but termed a gift in the sense that one doesn't have to pay anything for it above the investment made anyway to engage with the product. SerB isn't going to turn up at your house with a real tank covered in wrapping paper.

The only way your argument makes any sort of sense is if you completely disconnect the context and any semblance of logic from the situation in favour of a strict semantic determination of the term 'gift'. Which is both petty and puerile.

Miepie #57 Posted 07 July 2019 - 02:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4732 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postr00barb, on 07 July 2019 - 02:19 PM, said:

SerB isn't going to turn up at your house with a real tank covered in wrapping paper.

...But we can still hope, can't we? :ohmy:

H4NI #58 Posted 07 July 2019 - 02:35 PM

Major

• Player
  • 44216 battles
  • [TOXIC] TOXIC

View Posteekeeboo, on 07 July 2019 - 01:56 PM, said:

Even to this day staff with WG tag will get solo yolo'd, many consider xvm focus as toxic, now imagine getting focused for having WG in your tag

For once, the system and community are working correctly.

abcdave #59 Posted 07 July 2019 - 02:59 PM

Private

• Player
  • 41283 battles
  • [LITL] LITL

thank you WG.a great idea.

i have two out of those three tanks

and i play them.

to those who are complaining ,why? no one is forceing you to do anything.

just enjoy the game or stop playing. its up to you. once again no one is asking/forceing you to do anything.

constructive criticism is ( i,m sure) welcome , but really moaning about free stuff just cos it not a free teir 10 supper over powered  killer tank that only you can win is just petty.

a lot of the fan base will welcome this the same as me.

so again well done WG please keep up the good work (yes the RNG could give me a break sometimes) but otherwise a great game.

Edited by abcdave, 07 July 2019 - 03:12 PM.

BatelGeuce #60 Posted 07 July 2019 - 03:04 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 27894 battles
  • [J0-KE] J0-KE

View PostH4NI, on 07 July 2019 - 03:35 PM, said:

For once, the system and community are working correctly.

Lul.

I don't get why people whine though, it's more content and considering the rewards it probably won't be anything difficult. And if you want the compensation so hard, just sell the tanks before you claim them (as so many people mentioned before). Camo and equipment goes to storage (30g is so much gold tho :medal:) by the way.

These tier IX-X consumables should be the large ones though ... I mean wtf WG.

Edited by BatelGeuce, 07 July 2019 - 03:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users