UK system starting to notice online gaming spending

The kids emptied our account

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

If_I_Die_You_Die_Too #1 Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:18 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9749 battles

Early days yet but the BBC is the main vehicle for advertising government policy changes

If rumblings start via articles then policy changes are often in the wind

https://www.bbc.co.u...nology-48908766

FIFA has a system where you aint got a clue what you're getting

"You pay £40 for the game, which is a lot of money in itself, but then the only way to get a great team is essentially by gambling," he said, referring to online play.

"They spent £550 and they still never got their favourite player, Lionel Messi."

Edited by If_I_Die_You_Die_Too, 09 July 2019 - 09:24 AM.

Lomion_EU #2 Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:11 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38990 battles
  • [CSW] CSW

View PostIf_I_Die_You_Die_Too, on 09 July 2019 - 08:18 AM, said:

Early days yet but the BBC is the main vehicle for advertising government policy changes

https://www.bbc.co.u...nology-48908766

FIFA has a system where you aint got a clue what you're getting

"You pay £40 for the game, which is a lot of money in itself, but then the only way to get a great team is essentially by gambling," he said, referring to online play.

"They spent £550 and they still never got their favourite player, Lionel Messi."

I don't think that the UK Govt will do the same as Belgium and outlaw these look boxes.  I haven't played FIFA, but based on what you have said, the players for your "dream team" are behind a lootbox RNG.  That's not the case for WoT;  You can if you put the effort in get every tank in the game (play frontlines for the EMIL and the tier 9) play clanwars to get the 907 etc.  If you're not playing these modes then you're not entitled to the rewards.  The only RNG is in the christmas loot boxes, but lets be fair, you always get at least your moneys worth out of these boxes.

ThinGun #3 Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:19 AM

Major

• Player
  • 39319 battles
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO
Best thing about that article is the dumb father.  He let his kids clean out his bank account because he couldn't be bothered to put a password on the family console.  Me, I'd have left him out to dry in true Darwin manner.  

krismorgan #4 Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:27 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35865 battles
  • [UKT] UKT
BBC and UK government-my thoughts and opinions would get me permabanned!

Rati_Festa #5 Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:31 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 49078 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostThinGun, on 09 July 2019 - 10:19 AM, said:

Best thing about that article is the dumb father.  He let his kids clean out his bank account because he couldn't be bothered to put a password on the family console.  Me, I'd have left him out to dry in true Darwin manner.  

One of my childs friends did exactly the same to his Mums bank account she is a single mother on benefits as wel. The kid bought a couple of hundred quids worth skins/bundles on Fortnight on his PS4. The password system on the PS4 isn't the most user friendly due to the different account logins on the console itself, to the average parenet it's probably quite confusing. It also has an inbuilt age restriction for the secondary users and the password setup is so for example my 10 year old can't play on 16+ games... which include Spiderman, Wrestling etc.

You can quite easily see the scenario where a parent wouldn't want to setup a password on a console.

R3dBaron #6 Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:42 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 11749 battles
  • [ENEMY] ENEMY

Gaming companies need to sell exactly what they announce, random content loot boxes are pure gambling and should be taxed like that. In some EU countries, gambling taxes can go up to 35%.

Only_Slightly_Bent #7 Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:48 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 26219 battles
  • [OAP] OAP

View PostRati_Festa, on 09 July 2019 - 09:31 AM, said:

You can quite easily see the scenario where a parent wouldn't want to setup a password on a console.

Then they should take responsibility for the consequences.

My son's Switch and PS4 are both password protected and none of the game delivery systems (Steam etc) on either his or my PC's have bank details save, to prevent "accidental" purchases.

Yes, it's a pain to actually buy anything but at the same time, I don't have an empty bank account.

Laziness is a choice that has consequences.

onderschepper #8 Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:55 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2168 battles
  • [BOF] BOF

This is a small part of the much wider Government crackdown of online content.

First it was the travel websites with fake countdown timers which pressured people into spending for fear they would miss out, only for the countdown to rest when it supposed to expire (just like the £85.55 item on the WoT Premium Store :sceptic:).

Then it was Social Media.

Now they moved onto gaming, mainly because of a Child Gambling Rehabilitation Center which is opening later this year due to a surge in children with such problems as a result of online mediums, namely gaming. (Note: the center is NHS, thus funded by the Tax Payer.)

https://www.england....iction-service/

EA were the first to try to avert responsibility with their much criticised and publicised "Surprise Mechanics" which they claim are analogous to a Kinder Egg, but the Select Committee interviewing the EA Rep saw through that one.

This process shall likely be ongoing for several years, not least because every big name publisher is responsible for disseminating such drivel and are likely to defend it tooth and nail as this is by far their easiest source of funds with minimal expenditure.

Rati_Festa #9 Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:57 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 49078 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostOnly_Slightly_Bent, on 09 July 2019 - 10:48 AM, said:

Then they should take responsibility for the consequences.

My son's Switch and PS4 are both password protected and none of the game delivery systems (Steam etc) on either his or my PC's have bank details save, to prevent "accidental" purchases.

Yes, it's a pain to actually buy anything but at the same time, I don't have an empty bank account.

Laziness is a choice that has consequences.

I agree with you, but I was pointing out that not all parents are that "tech savvy". I assume you are, but I guess you will know other parents who wouldn't have a clue on how to setup console passwords.

Only_Slightly_Bent #10 Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:14 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 26219 battles
  • [OAP] OAP

View PostRati_Festa, on 09 July 2019 - 09:57 AM, said:

I agree with you, but I was pointing out that not all parents are that "tech savvy". I assume you are, but I guess you will know other parents who wouldn't have a clue on how to setup console passwords.

Well, if they don't know how to set a password, they shouldn't be putting their bank details into the console. I mean, it's not like you can't buy PSN/XBox/Switch 'credit' cards in pretty much every shop on the high street and online...

Slyspy #11 Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:15 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14676 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostR3dBaron, on 09 July 2019 - 10:42 AM, said:

Gaming companies need to sell exactly what they announce, random content loot boxes are pure gambling and should be taxed like that. In some EU countries, gambling taxes can go up to 35%.

I used to but packs of football stickers. Granted they were relatively cheap, but then I had very little money. I guess they were subject to VAT but nothing more. 

Ceeb #12 Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:30 AM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 32409 battles

The problem with Fifa is that to play untimate online you need to buy boxes.

Spent about £300 on Fifa 16,  coupled with the fact I broke multible controllers....

Sold Playstation, play on getting Norwich somehere on the grandsons Xbox.  with it being his, I havent broke a contoller )

Balc0ra #13 Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:34 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 71534 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Keep in mind that the UK government is mainly talking to heads of EA about their online games inc Fifa etc for this, that sell card packs that is basically a gamble on its own "or surprise mechanics as EA called them". Tho the UK government did not buy that and called EA out on it. It's not about online games in general selling skins, characters etc like Smithe or WOT... yet. Tho ofc, this might affect the Xmas boxes if there will be a law for it in the UK. As WG could not sell those to Belgium last year.

Is this a good thing? Heck yes it is. In my nation, we made a law to help families that have had kids go nuts with their parent's cards on Candy crush. Tho so far with regards to loot boxes and the economic effect it has for some that take it too far to get that one thing they want. Tho sadly my government did not see that as gambling... yet. As recently due to the UK, it has become a topic again. 

Bordhaw #14 Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:25 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 14492 battles

View Postkrismorgan, on 09 July 2019 - 09:27 AM, said:

BBC and UK government-my thoughts and opinions would get me permabanned!

onderschepper #15 Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2168 battles
  • [BOF] BOF

View PostBalc0ra, on 09 July 2019 - 11:34 AM, said:

Keep in mind that the UK government is mainly talking to heads of EA about their online games inc Fifa etc for this, that sell card packs that is basically a gamble on its own "or surprise mechanics as EA called them". Tho the UK government did not buy that and called EA out on it. It's not about online games in general selling skins, characters etc like Smithe or WOT... yet. Tho ofc, this might affect the Xmas boxes if there will be a law for it in the UK. As WG could not sell those to Belgium last year.

Is this a good thing? Heck yes it is. In my nation, we made a law to help families that have had kids go nuts with their parent's cards on Candy crush. Tho so far with regards to loot boxes and the economic effect it has for some that take it too far to get that one thing they want. Tho sadly my government did not see that as gambling... yet. As recently due to the UK, it has become a topic again. 

As I mentioned in my previous post, this process shall likely take several years not least because we have a leadership contest resulting in a new Prime Minister who shall have their own agenda for Government, and also because of the 31st October deadline for the B word.

I'm watching BBC Parliament as I type this and they are currently passing legislation for N Ireland, which shall need to be reviewed in November if an Executive has not been formed therein.

Best case scenario shall be 2020 for any meaningful legislation to be passed - and that's being optimistic, assuming we do not have a General Election in the meantime. :mellow:

Lomion_EU #16 Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:47 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38990 battles
  • [CSW] CSW

View PostOnly_Slightly_Bent, on 09 July 2019 - 10:14 AM, said:

Well, if they don't know how to set a password, they shouldn't be putting their bank details into the console. I mean, it's not like you can't buy PSN/XBox/Switch 'credit' cards in pretty much every shop on the high street and online...

It's also no excuse any more not to be tech savvy, its a fundamental neccessity for life in the developed world.  You, wouldn't drive a car without knowing how to properly use it or the "rules of the road".  Why do differently with any other technology.

The games and tech co's could make it easier for parents to control spending, but ultimately it's the parent's responsibility.  Besides surely a family with ;limited funds should prioritise spending and playstations/pc's/ipads etc etc as not high on that priority list.

Only_Slightly_Bent #17 Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 26219 battles
  • [OAP] OAP

View PostLomion_EU, on 10 July 2019 - 09:47 AM, said:

You, wouldn't drive a car without knowing how to properly use it or the "rules of the road". 

Have you been on the roads lately? That's, like, two out of three drivers! ;) (I agree with your point though)

Nethraniel #18 Posted 10 July 2019 - 02:43 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 14357 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Even though that would be a hard to pull off one, I would also like to see a ban on manipulative game design that incites spending (a lot).

Lomion_EU #19 Posted 10 July 2019 - 04:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38990 battles
  • [CSW] CSW

View PostNethraniel, on 10 July 2019 - 01:43 PM, said:

Even though that would be a hard to pull off one, I would also like to see a ban on manipulative game design that incites spending (a lot).

That would somewhat dent the financial model that allows FTP (with the exception of FIFA/ Starwars Battle grounds etc - Any EA game where you pay for the game and then need the "surprise" boxes to compete on line)

Captain_Kremen0 #20 Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:26 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 38956 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

View PostIf_I_Die_You_Die_Too, on 09 July 2019 - 08:18 AM, said:

Aunite Beeb as we call it holds a very strange place in the UK. Half the population think it is a government shill whilst the other half (mainly the government) think they are a bunch of left wing pinko pooftahs.

As this would suggest if you look at it objectively, they try to be balanced but the gobshites on either side are so far removed from the middle they just can't win.

If you want a government mouthpiece try Fox News - they put Pravda to shame.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users