Is XVM mandatory, if u want to play well in tier 10?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

kk40270 #1 Posted 09 July 2019 - 02:20 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 45597 battles

Just asking...

Iam not a very good tier 10 player and i dont even remember when i drove my 10 tanks last. But sometimes i play with my tier 9 tanks. Last week i played about 200 games with my t49 ( derb ) and it is a quite fun tank, especially against wv. Ok, u cant play like scout and flanking is also almost impossible, but all that dosent matter because i have desent fun with derping people.

But i like to win also and those 200 games i only won 49%. So i didnt carry nothing. Tier 9 games was ok: ish and i did something in there, but tier 10 was just pain.

Here is example and this happens a lot. 

Game starts, i check my teammates, everybody have shiny medals before their name and everybody have nice special camo ( good i think ). When battle beginns, everybody goes to right direction and i see that 4 tanks go to where they should go. I joined with them and thinking this looks good. I take a fast spot and see that there is also 5 enemy tanks going to same place. So everything is fine and it should be 5 vs 5 fight, BUT next happens, that one of my teammates think that he have good hull down tank, stop moving and stay back. Ok its 4 vs 5, but we can win if we play well. Next we arrive in that fighting place, but 2 ally tanks decided to attack agains 5 enemy tanks and go over the hill + there is also redline td`s who can shoot there. So it takes about 10 sec and those 2 tanks are destroyed without doing almost any damage. In that moment we all turn aroud and run away. I can run because of my speed and camo, but enemy just shoot those 2 remaining tanks like fish in the barrel. Its 4-0 now. I run back to other side where is still ally tanks. I go pass that "hull down" tank who has done nothing and he still stays there. One minute later he is dead also. 5-0. 

Game ends and we lose 5-15 or something and i made 400 - 800 damage and those was useles endgame sniping damage.

Of course i cant carry any of those defeats with my skill, but at least i could go somewhere else where the fight might be more even if i use XVM

Next game goes just like before. Third game we have this superior team and we win easyly, but because i have 2 bad games before this i just play very carefully and my score is bad also.

I know that if u platoon with good players u will win more in tier 10 and it help u a lot.

But what about that XVM, does it help?  At least i could see who iam against or with and then i could plan my game better. 

onderschepper #2 Posted 09 July 2019 - 02:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2081 battles
  • [BOF] BOF

Just an opinion, but I believe that if you are already uncertain of your own abilities then it is best for you to focus upon the action in game, rather than upon the possible abilities of your team - and their subsequent failings if things go awry.

WN8 is merely an indicator of ability which does not account for douchery, laziness, pettiness, or similar human traits which affect a demographic of players at unpredictable intervals.

DuncaN_101 #3 Posted 09 July 2019 - 02:30 PM

Major

• Player
  • 55236 battles
  • [TEC] TEC
No mods are mandatory

T10 is just as good / bad as t5 the range of good and bad player are the same across the tiers nowadays.

If you enjoy tier 10 then play it. If not no worries.
The only thing you have to keep in mind is that a mistake in tier 10 will be a bigger problem then one made in t5. Because of all the damage potential out there in tier 10.

r00barb #4 Posted 09 July 2019 - 02:44 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26706 battles

Personally I don't think it makes a difference. When I tried using XVM to judge potential actions of my opponents, they'd often do something I wasn't expecting anyway. That was back when I didn't have anywhere near the experience I have now but IMO you'll do better by looking at what they're doing rather than trying to anticipate what you think someone with their numbers would do.

View Postkk40270, on 09 July 2019 - 01:20 PM, said:

... my t49 ( derb ) and it is a quite fun tank... all that dosent matter because i have desent fun with derping people.

But i like to win also and those 200 games i only won 49%. So i didnt carry nothing.

Derps are for fun, not for carrying. The reload's usually too long for a start.

But what about that XVM, does it help?  At least i could see who iam against or with and then i could plan my game better. 

There's nothing to stop you trying it for yourself. Download a mod pack from the portal and see how you get on. If you like it, carry on. If you don't, uninstall it. Some people like XVM, some hate it, others don't care. I suggest you start with a common pack like Aslain's or Solo's, they're pretty easy to understand and come with installers so you can choose which parts you want to use.

ThinGun #5 Posted 09 July 2019 - 03:04 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 38920 battles
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO
XVM can only be used to give you a rough idea of tactics at the beginning of the game - do I play defensively, aggressively etc.  And maybe highlight certain enemy players to avoid and certain team mates worth supporting.  It won't make you a better player, but it might help you make some slightly better decisions.  It's not mandatory for Tier 10, any more than it's mandatory of any other tier.  If you can use the information, install the mod.  

Suurpolskija #6 Posted 09 July 2019 - 03:12 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 22815 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI

I've seen plenty of streamers play tier 10 succesfully without XVM so it's not mandatory. 

I don't use XVM and suck at tier X. Don't think the mod ( or lack of it ) can be blamed for that though. 

ExclamationMark #7 Posted 09 July 2019 - 03:17 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16785 battles
  • [IDEAD] IDEAD
No. Mods do not make you a better player.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #8 Posted 09 July 2019 - 03:22 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 33077 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
It's not mandatory, but it can be helpful to have a rough idea of relative strength of players on your team so you have a better idea who you might need to support.

It isn't necessarily going to win you any more games tho. If your team decide they're going to do everything in their power to throw the game there not much you can do to stop them. :)

Ricky_Rolls #9 Posted 09 July 2019 - 03:32 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 71474 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
I don't understand what xvm has to do with being good, at all. 

kaneloon #10 Posted 09 July 2019 - 03:49 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 30437 battles
  • [UKN-A] UKN-A

View PostRicky_Rolls, on 09 July 2019 - 02:32 PM, said:

I don't understand what xvm has to do with being good, at all. 

It has. I prefer to have next to me a Ricky_Rolls that understand the need of taking a shot not to lose an ally, versus an ally that just run away to be trampled 10s later.

(That was my only and brief use of xvm years ago).

2 thoughts :

- scouts are very team dependant : for instance when you see arties still moving when they could already have shot : bad sign.

- unicums (streamers) judge and adapt to a team quite fast and without thinking, just by looking at the way allies behave.

kk40270 #11 Posted 09 July 2019 - 03:58 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 45597 battles
Yep, i dont have any mods and i dont need them when i play mid tiers. But in tier 10 the skill difference between great an bad player is soooo huge, that i think i could give some ideas about gameplans or who u play with. 

JCD3nton #12 Posted 09 July 2019 - 04:26 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 26818 battles
XVM helps you decide with whom you should stick with. You follow the purple, blue and green players, you survive longer. You stick with red and orange ones, you will die pretty fast.

malachi6 #13 Posted 09 July 2019 - 04:35 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 50920 battles

The main thing is, WoT is a game free to play for all.  Some people play to hone skills and master the intricacies of the came.  Others play to be social, enjoy tanks and so on.  Given the nature of the game, all are valid play styles.  WN8 is a metric for some, has actually become a playstyle.  In that, WN8 boosting can involve playing in a particular manner. 

Finally, a common confusion is XVM with WN8.  XVM is merely a U.I. extension that enables the display of statistics amongst other things.  I use XVM I do not display statistics.  They interest me in no way.  except for me personally.  I am not so shallow as to think a number in a video game makes me a better or worse person than another.  But we all get our validations from somewhere.

Corwyn666 #14 Posted 09 July 2019 - 04:40 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5214 battles
  • [-IGF-] -IGF-

My humble opinion, no, it is not by no means necessary (but it can be useful).  I've seen games when green/blue players just failed utterly and I end up 1st or 2nd with my little red one…  YMMV though :)

HundeWurst #15 Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:25 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 74728 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

Weird statement....

All the actually good players I know dont use any mods, but for sure not XVM. I would say its the other way around.

I remember back in the day, when I still was using XVM, 4 years back, that XVM only ever influenced me in a bad way.

Slyspy #16 Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:33 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14627 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Not necessary at any tier. 

Bordhaw #17 Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:08 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 14128 battles

When battle beginns, everybody goes to right direction and i see that 4 tanks go to where they should go

clixor #18 Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:08 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 53824 battles

View PostThinGun, on 09 July 2019 - 03:04 PM, said:

XVM can only be used to give you a rough idea of tactics at the beginning of the game - do I play defensively, aggressively etc.  And maybe highlight certain enemy players to avoid and certain team mates worth supporting.  It won't make you a better player, but it might help you make some slightly better decisions.  It's not mandatory for Tier 10, any more than it's mandatory of any other tier.  If you can use the information, install the mod.  

This is exactly the reason why i stopped using XVM. If you adapt your tactics to the supposed skill level of the enemy team you are just playing into their hands. Giving up map control is never a good way to win games. Sure, you could get a slightly better wr if you camp ultra hard, but that's just a boring playstyle imo.

iztok #19 Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:13 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 35215 battles
> Is XVM mandatory, if u want to play well in tier 10?
It didn't help me in tier-9 and 10. ;)

Tonza_the_baboon #20 Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:37 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 23465 battles
  • [SKIL3] SKIL3
XVM... no!
I stopped using it years ago, games are so much better without it.
You dont need xvm to see who is "pro" and who is "tomato"
It was so sad and depressing to see all that red in your team, thats when you give up... :arta:

Greetings:Tonza

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users