Reddit Developer Ask me Anything

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

eekeeboo #1 Posted 09 July 2019 - 03:43 PM

English Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 46772 battles

Greetings Tankers! 

We have a Reddit AMA going live VERY soon, I'm here to announce and share the opportunity you have to ask the developers questions and have them answered live, please check out the current Questions and Answers we've put up on Reddit to see if your questions are already answered :) 

---

Update: here follows the list of questions that were answered during the Reddit AMA complete with the answers from the devs and Community Team.

1) Could we have a setting to toggle personal reserves between time-based and number of battles? For example, when activating a 1-hour reserve, we could get the option to start it for 1 hour or for 8 battles.

2) Why were the changes for 30B scrapped and can we ever expect a buff for it? The long-awaited buff for the statistically worst T10 medium has disappeared without a trace and WG is strangely silent about it. Obviously, the 430-line changes needed to be postponed, and I can't complain that you take your time with them, but 30B was uncalled for at best.

3)Are there plans to undo the additional pen drop off for T10 lights? I asked this last Q&A and your guys weren't aware of this mechanic...

4) Any plans for RHM Panzerwagen?

5) List of long questions regarding the Japanese tech tree (open to read):

6)Will we see the option of buying "tokens" for non-Premium tanks to turn them into "reward tanks". Like in the sense that they do not make more money, but you can put in whatever crew in there without any penalties?

7) Is it still planned to have a rework of the crew skill/system? I really hope to have a new one, with deeper customization.

8) With the New British lights being added, how many crew members will be needed for the Tier X British light?

9) E-100, Chieftain and Ranked Battles related question (open to read):

10) STB-1 Hydropneumatic suspension and Aufkl. Panther related questions (open to read):

11) Additional artillery nerfs when? 

12) Long question concerning upcoming British LT branch (open to read):

13) When is the next tank marathon going to be?

14) Any hints (or a range) on how much tanks in the bonds shop will probably cost?

15) Why can some of the older maps not be re-introduced into the current version of the game?

16) What has been your greatest achievement/ contribution to the development of the game in the last 12 months and why? (Live or forthcoming.)

17) Ammo rebalance question (open to read):

18) Balance and statistics question (open to read):

19) The ST-II with two guns has recently been teased. Can you give us any other hints on some other new gameplay mechanics that are being considered in the future?

20) With Ranked battles being not great because of the new system of multiple 15 rank divisions and the time required, could we have more player involvement in larger scale game events? Because sometimes the event just starts with rules being released just days before, with no time to change anything that might be broken/no-fun for the event.

21) Will you start selling more skins for popular tanks and decals/camos?

22) Any news on 3D customization? (not the 3D skins like from Christmas boxes, but the option of adding sandbags, etc to your tank).

23) When are WG going to start listening to the better players and understand what buffs/nerfs tanks need to balance them? Why do they think that no nerfs are needed to the 430U? And that is one example.

24) With the addition of wheeled vehicles to the French light line, would you ever consider adding gunned half-tracked vehicles (most likely as a low-tier)?

25) Any chance we could see changes to the turreted US tank destroyers’ branch? (open to read more question)

26)With the introduction of wheeled light tanks, can there be wheeled TD's? There are quite a few of them, and they would be an interesting addition to the game, without having the effect that wheeled lights had.

27) Why is Front-line a defend or attack only style map? Have other styles been considered? Will we see other Styles of maps?

28) Can we get a feature where crew member nationalities can be changed, for a gold cost, to assign them to tanks in different tech trees?

29) Are we going to be seeing any changes to the way technical victories / defeats are handled on the clan global map? Sure, the opposing clan would get a penalty and we would continue to the next round, but that clan's actions [or lack of] would just cost us potentially hundreds of fame points through no fault of our own...

30) Why, with recent patches, has frame rate been prioritized over ping? With the most recent patch I have gone from averaging 110 ping to 190....

31) Would Wargaming ever consider implementing high tier auto-cannons, such as those that were in Armoured Warfare? There was a pretty interesting discussion in one of my servers in regard to this, and it sounds like a really interesting idea; it would pave the way for vehicles such as the FV721 Fox AFV, if there was interest in adding such machines.

32) Question about wheeled vehicles (open to read):

Good Luck and Good Hunting! 

eek. 

Edited by Sael_, 12 July 2019 - 01:10 PM.

eekeeboo #2 Posted 09 July 2019 - 03:59 PM

• WG Staff
  • 46772 battles

I also advise you to check out the QnA session here

We will work on sharing these through content creators and when formatting is complete :) 

Edited by eekeeboo, 09 July 2019 - 04:42 PM.

__Eric__ #3 Posted 09 July 2019 - 04:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33460 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Hmmm, is that link save to click on?  ;)

Sael_ #4 Posted 09 July 2019 - 04:14 PM

Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 989 battles

View Post__Eric__, on 09 July 2019 - 03:08 PM, said:

Hmmm, is that link save to click on?  ;)

We advise you strap-in before diving in the sea of questions. :teethhappy:

eekeeboo #5 Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:46 PM

• WG Staff
  • 46772 battles
All finished for today thank-you all. We will be posting the answers and questions soon! 

Jumping_Turtle #6 Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:51 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 67283 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

I really have a hard time to understand your/WG view on the E25 and the clanreward tanks.

You know the E25 is a problem but you keep on selling them every other month. If you just would have stopped selling them when they were first recognized a problem you would hardly see any these days and it would not be a problem. You knew it was a problem but you kept on feeding the rpoiblem by selling them and giving them out as a Christmas present ....

And the clanrewards tanks is just as bad. Everyones sees, yes, even those great players you talk about, say that some of them (907, T95/FV4201) are clearly better (or overpowered) than the techtee tanks. Why do they need to be better? We had on the Russin tanks a pretty good mix, till wargaming decided to make all the tanks the same. 430 had dpm, 62a armor and the 140 was a middle mix. If you would have not buffed the 907 to overpowered levels, it would all have been fine. Just take a look at those better clans in clanwars. There is a reason why they all pick the 907 over the techtree ones, simply because it is better. Just as with the FV

KanonenVogel19 #7 Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 390 battles

View Posteekeeboo, on 09 July 2019 - 06:46 PM, said:

All finished for today thank-you all. We will be posting the answers and questions soon! 

Will all questions be answered or only some, i.e. is there any hope that my questions get answered? :P

Edited by KanonenVogel19, 09 July 2019 - 06:54 PM.

Awesome_Face #8 Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:04 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 38887 battles
  • [-RGT-] -RGT-

Thank you very much for this Q&A and AMA. Thanks to those who answered the questions and of course thanks to those who organized this event and made it possible in the first place. :)

Bordhaw #9 Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:47 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 14128 battles

View Posteekeeboo, on 09 July 2019 - 02:43 PM, said:

Greetings Tankers! 

We have a Reddit AMA going live VERY soon, I'm here to announce and share the opportunity you have to ask the developers questions and have them answered live, please check out the current Questions and Answers we've put up on Reddit to see if your questions are already answered :) 

Good Luck and Good Hunting! 

eek. 

wsatnutter #10 Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:13 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 26242 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
this is a step forward lets see where it goes

WindSplitter1 #11 Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:09 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18873 battles
  • [DTPT] DTPT

LTs will continue being the abortion they were turned to back in 9.17 for plenty of months to come. And even then, there's no guarantee they'll ever shine again.

I really enjoyed being able to influence a match without firing a single shot. That little chess game both me and the enemy would play through, blindfolded we advance unto each other. Now it's a matter of who brings the most amount of Soviets and/or Heavy Tanks.

No reason for me to further invest here. Things have gone to such a deplorable state that the world reckons how biased the developers are in such fashion they seem to be living in an alternative reality.

Won't leave, but other titles have become more appealing and worthy of my time...

Edited by WindSplitter1, 10 July 2019 - 01:12 AM.

eekeeboo #12 Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:59 AM

• WG Staff
  • 46772 battles

View PostKanonenVogel19, on 09 July 2019 - 05:53 PM, said:

Will all questions be answered or only some, i.e. is there any hope that my questions get answered? :P

Hello, 

Most of the questions that had upvotes were answered and you can still check them out, but there was a lot of questions :D 

07:59 Added after 0 minutes

View PostAwesome_Face, on 09 July 2019 - 06:04 PM, said:

Thank you very much for this Q&A and AMA. Thanks to those who answered the questions and of course thanks to those who organized this event and made it possible in the first place. :)

You are most welcome and we hope to continue doing these in the future :) 
07:59 Added after 0 minutes

View Postwsatnutter, on 09 July 2019 - 07:13 PM, said:

this is a step forward lets see where it goes

press "R" three times! Let's go! :izmena:

KanonenVogel19 #13 Posted 10 July 2019 - 11:55 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 390 battles

View Posteekeeboo, on 10 July 2019 - 08:59 AM, said:

Most of the questions that had upvotes were answered and you can still check them out, but there was a lot of questions :D 

I see, but my questions about premium ammo and maps never got answered :(

Sael_ #14 Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:07 PM

Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 989 battles

View PostKanonenVogel19, on 10 July 2019 - 10:55 AM, said:

I see, but my questions about premium ammo and maps never got answered :(

AMA questions were added to eek's post. :) You will most likely find some interesting answers. Enjoy. :)

KanonenVogel19 #15 Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 390 battles

View PostSael_, on 12 July 2019 - 01:07 PM, said:

AMA questions were added to eek's post. :) You will most likely find some interesting answers. Enjoy. :)

Thank you :) Although I would really want my questions answered aswell :unsure:

Question: Why are you so stubborn to keep the premium ammo concept? One of the major problems with premium ammo is that it's so expensive that not all players feel that they can use it. This puts them into a situation where they have to play at an disadvantage if they want to be able to progress in the game and purchase tanks, modules, equipment etc. This is not good design, yet it appears that you refuse to drop this concept. Why are you simply not making all shells cost the same (or even remove the shell cost as was done in World of Warships), and then design the shells realistically and give them different strengths and mechanics (for example, overpenetration for APCR), rather than turning the entire game up-side-down and changing all tanks hitpoints and all shells damage values?

Question: Why do you continue to design maps that focus so much on close quarters brawling? Realistically, tanks avoided urban environments because they're clumpsy in that type of environment, they can't manouver effectively, obstables in the way making gun rotation etc more cumbersome, and infantry that hides in buildings that can shoot them. Why is this not better reflected in your game about tanks? Why are you not creating more open maps that allows players to flank each other in order to break this very onesided head-on brawls? Here you can find a very good example of how a map should look like, is this type of map something that you could consider adding more of into the game in the future?

eekeeboo #16 Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:01 PM

• WG Staff
  • 46772 battles

View PostKanonenVogel19, on 12 July 2019 - 12:57 PM, said:

Thank you :) Although I would really want my questions answered aswell :unsure:

Question: Why are you so stubborn to keep the premium ammo concept? One of the major problems with premium ammo is that it's so expensive that not all players feel that they can use it. This puts them into a situation where they have to play at an disadvantage if they want to be able to progress in the game and purchase tanks, modules, equipment etc. This is not good design, yet it appears that you refuse to drop this concept. Why are you simply not making all shells cost the same (or even remove the shell cost as was done in World of Warships), and then design the shells realistically and give them different strengths and mechanics (for example, overpenetration for APCR), rather than turning the entire game up-side-down and changing all tanks hitpoints and all shells damage values?

Question: Why do you continue to design maps that focus so much on close quarters brawling? Realistically, tanks avoided urban environments because they're clumpsy in that type of environment, they can't manouver effectively, obstables in the way making gun rotation etc more cumbersome, and infantry that hides in buildings that can shoot them. Why is this not better reflected in your game about tanks? Why are you not creating more open maps that allows players to flank each other in order to break this very onesided head-on brawls? Here you can find a very good example of how a map should look like, is this type of map something that you could consider adding more of into the game in the future?

Hello! 

Be aware those questions with more than 1 upvote were answered, it was impossible to answer every single question. 

I can say for: 

1) The premium ammo concept is more difficult than making the ammo cheaper which will affect the economy and further increase the use of it over other rounds, meaning "normal" rounds would become utterly pointless as a choice as it stands. The Warships shells cost the same because they have very different functions and have different effects and desires from the ships you're firing from and at with caliber and target etc. Fundamentally different damage mechanics are involved. 

2) Map design is usually done in a way to provide an opportunity for each class to perform, you will find most maps do indeed have open spaces as well as close quarters spaces. Game design cannot always follow real-life principles without severely affecting your gameplay experience. Open maps are great for certain tank classes, but slow-moving heavies with artillery and sniping TD's are going to have a bad time if it's all just open with a nice big crossfire. That's why it's nice to have a mixture of maps that contain all elements as well as the big open maps and big urban maps. 

____Green____ #17 Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:34 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 21942 battles
  • [PEERS] PEERS

Q: why there is no winter and summer (season) versions of maps for more variety?

We all remember Ruinbergs's winter version. 

eekeeboo #18 Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:22 PM

• WG Staff
  • 46772 battles

View Post____Green____, on 15 July 2019 - 12:34 PM, said:

Q: why there is no winter and summer (season) versions of maps for more variety?

We all remember Ruinbergs's winter version. 

From what I understood this was asked so far is to try and ensure there's more map variety rather than the same but different colour. 

VarzA #19 Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:05 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25124 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

Such a shame i missed it, too bad.

I wanted to know when you will revamp the whole chat system, user-generated channels, blacklist, contacts, all that stuff.

It needs some serious fixing, it's not right to work the way it does in a game that's supposed to be about social interaction.

Edited by VarzA, 16 July 2019 - 07:06 PM.

eekeeboo #20 Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:26 PM

• WG Staff
  • 46772 battles

View PostVarzA, on 16 July 2019 - 06:05 PM, said:

Such a shame i missed it, too bad.

I wanted to know when you will revamp the whole chat system, user-generated channels, blacklist, contacts, all that stuff.

It needs some serious fixing, it's not right to work the way it does in a game that's supposed to be about social interaction.

Hello! 

Worry not, we're hoping to do these more regularly and keep an eye out for the next one coming soon-ish and I'm sure will be announced and shared. Best advice I can give is join the discord where I tend to spend most of my time these days and share up to date info more frequently! 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users