• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

TheDrownedApe #1 Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:09 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 48407 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

Morning,

Yes this will get moved rather quickly to the mod section, and yes i should have posted it there; mea culpa, but I noted this comment on Aslain's latest mod-pack:

"because of plans for switching to paid subscription in near future"

Not sure if this relates to his pack or XVM in general but worth noting for those that use either. I've not seen any other info on this, perhaps others have?

Edited by TheDrownedApe, 10 July 2019 - 10:25 AM.

ValkyrionX #2 Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:26 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 50524 battles
  • [NOPAS] NOPAS

View PostTheDrownedApe, on 10 July 2019 - 08:09 AM, said:

Morning,

Yes this will get moved rather quickly to the mod section, and yes i should have posted it there; mea culpa, but I noted this comment on Aslain's latest mod-pack:

Not sure if this relates to his pack or XVM in general but worth noting for those that use either. I've not seen any other info on this, perhaps others have?

I'm afraid I misunderstood .. will will aslain modpack be paid??  seriously?

LOL

However if some functions or the whole modpack become paid it change notin for me, I also use the aslain but I have a really minimal configuration with mods all relative to the garage and all available on the sites of the developers ..

MPV_11 #3 Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:40 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 34196 battles
If this happens, it will be interesting to see how Aslain compensates those who freely made a donation.... 

Edited by MPV_11, 10 July 2019 - 08:40 AM.

BowtNetterToDo #4 Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:44 AM

Private

• Player
  • 14700 battles
  • [WUN-1] WUN-1

View PostTheDrownedApe, on 10 July 2019 - 07:09 AM, said:

Morning,

" important info: Due to constant problems with incompatibility with many other mods, such as XVM, bugs which it often contains, due to removing the possibility of disabling automatic updates in its latest version of modification, which may cause potential issues and because of plans for switching to paid subscription in near future I am forced to permanently remove Battle Observer mod from my modpack."

I read that as Battle Observer plans to go to a paid subscription and will be removed from the modpack, 

Jauhesammutin #5 Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:46 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23502 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI

View PostMPV_11, on 10 July 2019 - 07:40 AM, said:

If this happens, it will be interesting to see how Aslain compensates those who freely made a donation.... 

Why should they be compensated? They made a freely donation.

TheDrownedApe #6 Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:56 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 48407 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

View PostBowtNetterToDo, on 10 July 2019 - 08:44 AM, said:

" important info: Due to constant problems with incompatibility with many other mods, such as XVM, bugs which it often contains, due to removing the possibility of disabling automatic updates in its latest version of modification, which may cause potential issues and because of plans for switching to paid subscription in near future I am forced to permanently remove Battle Observer mod from my modpack."

I read that as Battle Observer plans to go to a paid subscription and will be removed from the modpack, 

Oh yeah could be, didn't see that option initially

r00barb #7 Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:57 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26740 battles

View PostBowtNetterToDo, on 10 July 2019 - 08:44 AM, said:

From the NA forum ...

Block Quote

Source

Для всех у кого версия 1.22.4 и выше, перекачивать мод в ручную больше не нужно, при запуске игры он сам обновится.

Если в момент загрузки у вас клиент сам перезапускается, значит пришло новое обновление, временно никаких оповещений нет, просто обновление, в дальнейшем будет высвечиваться сообщение с чейнджлогом.

Так же заранее ставлю в известность, что ближе к новому году мод перейдет на систему подписки, при которой останутся бесплатные модули, и будет ряд платных которые будут доступны только по подписке. Полный список будет опубликован перед релизом.

Данная механика нужна и она будет работать всегда, просьбы отключить обновления и не принимаются. ( дверь там --> )

This translates roughly as:

Block Quote

for all those who have version 1.22.4 and higher, it is no longer necessary to pump the mod manually; it will be updated when the game starts. if the client restarts itself at the time of download, then a new update has come, there are temporarily no notifications, just an update, a message with a changelog will be displayed in the future.

I also inform in advance that, closer to the new year, the mod will switch to a subscription system, with which free modules will remain, and there will be a number of paid ones that will be available only by subscription. The full list will be published before release.

This mechanic is needed and it will always work, requests to disable updates and are not accepted. (the door is there -> )

TheDrownedApe #8 Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:15 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 48407 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

View Postr00barb, on 10 July 2019 - 08:57 AM, said:

From the NA forum ...

and this is battle observer then? Assuming so.

don't even know what it does, LOL

r00barb #9 Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:21 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26740 battles

View PostTheDrownedApe, on 10 July 2019 - 09:15 AM, said:

and this is battle observer then? Assuming so.

The title of the linked thread is "[PSA] Battle Observer goes pay to use at the end of the year!" so ... yeah. I thought that as I was posting it in this thread as a direct reply to a relevant quote with a link to the original thread I wouldn't need to clarify further. Should have remembered I'm posting on EU.

View PostTheDrownedApe, on 10 July 2019 - 09:15 AM, said:

don't even know what it does, LOL

As far as I can tell, it's something to do with hp bars. I only caught that while skimming other results from my search and I don't use mods like that so I can't be arsed digging further.

TheDrownedApe #10 Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:24 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 48407 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

View Postr00barb, on 10 July 2019 - 09:21 AM, said:

The title of the linked thread is "[PSA] Battle Observer goes pay to use at the end of the year!" so ... yeah. I thought that as I was posting it in this thread as a direct reply to a relevant quote with a link to the original thread I wouldn't need to clarify further. Should have remembered I'm posting on EU.

Well just wanted to be sure and without any doubt, thanks.

I can get the mods to delete it now as it's pretty pointless to the majority i suppose.

MPV_11 #11 Posted 10 July 2019 - 11:30 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 34196 battles

View PostJauhesammutin, on 10 July 2019 - 08:46 AM, said:

Why should they be compensated? They made a freely donation.

It seems that it is now irrelevant, but your comment just astounds me. I donated BECAUSE Aslain makes NO money from his mod pack and I am happy to voluntarily compensate him for my use of it. If it was a paid for mod I might (or might not) pay for it but I certainly wouldn't also donate. Even as I type this I just cannot understand how you can not see the difference or understand why donators may not be happy to have to pay in addition to their donation.

Jauhesammutin #12 Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23502 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI

View PostMPV_11, on 10 July 2019 - 10:30 AM, said:

It seems that it is now irrelevant, but your comment just astounds me. I donated BECAUSE Aslain makes NO money from his mod pack and I am happy to voluntarily compensate him for my use of it. If it was a paid for mod I might (or might not) pay for it but I certainly wouldn't also donate. Even as I type this I just cannot understand how you can not see the difference or understand why donators may not be happy to have to pay in addition to their donation.

As far as I understand the situation it's not because Aslain wants to make profit from his mods but to cover the running costs.

The whole point of donating is to support Aslain. Why wouldn't they be  happy? It's not like you have to donate and pay simultaneously. 

I would understand the upset if you donated today and the change would happen tomorrow without any notice but this was clear in advance. 

MPV_11 #13 Posted 10 July 2019 - 02:32 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 34196 battles

View PostJauhesammutin, on 10 July 2019 - 12:34 PM, said:

As far as I understand the situation it's not because Aslain wants to make profit from his mods but to cover the running costs.

The whole point of donating is to support Aslain. Why wouldn't they be  happy? It's not like you have to donate and pay simultaneously. 

I would understand the upset if you donated today and the change would happen tomorrow without any notice but this was clear in advance. 

It really is a waste of time talking to you if you seriously can't understand that someone would feel a little annoyed if after having voluntarily donated they are then subsequently also asked to pay.

Nor do you have any idea how much I donated or when I made my donation - it could have been yesterday or 5 years ago, it could have been EU 1 or EU 1000 but to some extent that's not the point. I made a 'freely' donation precisely because Aslain didn't charge and to help him cover his running costs. If he had been charging or indicated that he would start charging then I would not have made the donation, I would have made a decision as to whether to pay for his mod pack or to look at alternatives. And BTW it sees that Aslain is not charging for his mod pack - it is the Battle Observer component that will be charged for in the future (it seems you are not even bothering to read the thread but just jumping in).

As a matter of interest have you donated to Aslain or anyone else's who's free software you use? I'm pretty sure that whatever you answer, the answer is actually no or you would understand my point.

My original post was really just a throw away comment but it seems there is always someone who feels that their opinion has to be stated no matter how ridiculous it is.

Mimos_A #14 Posted 10 July 2019 - 02:41 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 28643 battles
  • [SPESH] SPESH

Is it even legal to charge money for WoT mods? As far as I know it's only possible if the publisher/developer gives their blessing.

And I highly doubt Aslain would and could ever charge people for a bundle of mods, most of which aren't his. That's such a legal and copyright swamp it would be stupid to an impressive degree to go there. (yes I know this is about the Battle Observer mod, but people seem worried about it).

Jauhesammutin #15 Posted 10 July 2019 - 03:18 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23502 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI

View PostMPV_11, on 10 July 2019 - 01:32 PM, said:

It really is a waste of time talking to you if you seriously can't understand that someone would feel a little annoyed if after having voluntarily donated they are then subsequently also asked to pay.

Nor do you have any idea how much I donated or when I made my donation - it could have been yesterday or 5 years ago, it could have been EU 1 or EU 1000 but to some extent that's not the point. I made a 'freely' donation precisely because Aslain didn't charge and to help him cover his running costs. If he had been charging or indicated that he would start charging then I would not have made the donation, I would have made a decision as to whether to pay for his mod pack or to look at alternatives. And BTW it sees that Aslain is not charging for his mod pack - it is the Battle Observer component that will be charged for in the future (it seems you are not even bothering to read the thread but just jumping in).

As a matter of interest have you donated to Aslain or anyone else's who's free software you use? I'm pretty sure that whatever you answer, the answer is actually no or you would understand my point.

My original post was really just a throw away comment but it seems there is always someone who feels that their opinion has to be stated no matter how ridiculous it is.

Glad to see you didn't read my reply. It always makes the conversation much easier.

Yes, I know it's not the modpack, I've read the replies. That doesn't matter, it has nothing to do with your original comment as it was made before the other replies. From now on when I'm talking about Aslain I'm talking the original post and not the Battle Observer mod. 

Like I said, I would understand the upset if this happened over a night without any warnings. The original message was just a warning that they are planning to do something in the near future

" If he had been charging or indicated that he would start charging then I would not have made the donation"

This is exactly that. Now he is indicating so you don't have to make new donations. 

No, I haven't donated to Aslain. I don't use mods and don't want to support them. I've donated thousands of € to a free software I'm using. That's called WoT.

MPV_11 #16 Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:04 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 34196 battles

View PostJauhesammutin, on 10 July 2019 - 02:18 PM, said:

Glad to see you didn't read my reply. It always makes the conversation much easier.

Yes, I know it's not the modpack, I've read the replies. 

View PostJauhesammutin, on 10 July 2019 - 12:34 PM, said:

The irony of your first sentence.....

Ok let's use an analogy you might be able to grasp.

View PostJauhesammutin, on 10 July 2019 - 02:18 PM, said:

No, I haven't donated to Aslain. I don't use mods and don't want to support them. I've donated thousands of € to a free software I'm using. That's called WoT.

So if WoT now said to you that despite all the 'donations' you have made for all your premium tanks, premium accounts. gold etc... you now also have to pay a monthly fee to play WoT. And if you didn't pay that fee you would not be able to access the game anymore and you would not be compensated for all the stuff in game you paid for through your 'donations'. You would be perfectly happy?

Seriously I want whatever you're smoking

Jauhesammutin #17 Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:47 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23502 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI

View PostMPV_11, on 10 July 2019 - 04:04 PM, said:

The irony of your first sentence.....

Ok let's use an analogy you might be able to grasp.

So if WoT now said to you that despite all the 'donations' you have made for all your premium tanks, premium accounts. gold etc... you now also have to pay a monthly fee to play WoT. And if you didn't pay that fee you would not be able to access the game anymore and you would not be compensated for all the stuff in game you paid for through your 'donations'. You would be perfectly happy?

Seriously I want whatever you're smoking

If the price was reasonable and they would give a reason for that I wouldn't mind. Would you and why?

NekoPuffer_PPP #18 Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:54 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 33389 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostTheDrownedApe, on 10 July 2019 - 09:09 AM, said:

Isn't it? :amazed:

G01ngToxicCommand0 #19 Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 37465 battles
Wargaming is the only one that can legally make money from WoT and mods. Aslain will be in trouble if he tries to monetize mods for IP he do not own.

VonniVidiVici #20 Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:31 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38691 battles
Looks like Battle Observer is what tracks each tank's HP and displays them in your hud. I can't imagine anyone willing to pay for that but we'll see. :rolleyes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users