equipment defender caernarvon HT Tips

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Miepie #1 Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:28 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3511 battles
  • [KEL-O] KEL-O

Even though we've gotten confirmation that there won't be an equipment discount in july, I've been making a shopping list for when the discounts DO arrive. For most of the tanks I want/need to equip, I get by just fine using my own experience and (mostly) tanks.gg...

I'm just in doubt about two of my heavy tanks, and would appreciate your opinions.

At Christmas, I looted a Defender (among other stuff). I have not played it in randoms yet. I planned to use it for the StuG IV blocking missions (the same reason I've been grinding towards the T29), but I accidentally completed those missions with other tanks. I used it in Frontlines a few times, though for that mode I prefer my IS3A (same christmas) and my Somua SM. 

Right now, I have it equipped with a rammer (because the reload is atrocious), vents (because I love vents because they add a bit to everything) and a gun laying drive. 

It's that last one I'm pondering. The aim time is horrendous (but that's still the case even with the GLD), but from my experience fighting against / alongside them, I found that the Defender's armour works best when you either keep a good distance (>150m) or are really, really close; in that intermediate zone, everyone can hit your weak spots fairly easily. So I initially went with the GLD, with the plan to maintain some distance and try to aim. 

Should I swap it for Vertical Stabilisers? The aim time remains horrendous anyway, and I am trying to learn to move my tanks more between shots instead of just sitting still and aiming during a reload...

The second tank is the Caernarvon AX. I treated myself to that today. As a n00b (even n00ber than currently) I tried to do my best at the marathon, with fairly dismal results. After that, it's been for sale quite a few times, but I skipped it. In the past year I've been fighting against and alongside it quite a few times, though, and with this discount I thought: "Yeah, why not?".

I'm thinking about equipping it with a vertical stabiliser and vents (I already said I really like vents, didn't I?), but that leaves the third slot. I'm thinking about either a gun rammer, or optics. With the vents and my crew skills, both the reload time and view range are already fine but hmm... I'm not sure which to pick. I'm leaning towards optics, because this tank likes being hulldown. This means you keep the enemies at some distance (so doing your own spotting is handy) and the popping up and down behind the ridge often means you're not using your maximum dpm anyway...

What are your opinions about this? (do feel free to also dismiss my other equipment choices)

N.B.: the crews I have hanging around for both are peachy fine... they have 0-skill BiA, snapshot, smooth ride, situational awareness and recon. I generally don't run food on my tanks (yet).

xx984 #2 Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:17 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 61771 battles
  • [MVPS] MVPS
Rammer/Vstabs/Vents for both. If you have a terrible crew there is an argument for Optics instead of the vents. But thats standard for most heavies, except the autoloaders which is Optics/Vents/VStabs or in some cases GLD/Vents/Vstabs

XxKuzkina_MatxX #3 Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:49 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 53201 battles
  • [OBY] OBY

Using vents instead of optics makes you a bit blind, especially with the Defender, so play accordingly. Don't try to spot or go where a TD might be camping. The effect of this appear mainly in the late stages of the battle.

Defender: rammer, v-stabs and vents.

Caernarvon AX: rammer, v-stabs and vents.

undutchable80 #4 Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:20 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 10782 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 12 July 2019 - 05:49 AM, said:

Using vents instead of optics makes you a bit blind, especially with the Defender, so play accordingly. Don't try to spot or go where a TD might be camping. The effect of this appear mainly in the late stages of the battle.

Defender: rammer, v-stabs and vents.

Caernarvon AX: rammer, v-stabs and vents.

Agreed, even though I have a 2,5-skill crew (incl BiA) in my CAX, so I am running optics in stead of vents.   

Miepie #5 Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:08 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3511 battles
  • [KEL-O] KEL-O
Hahaha, three people agreeing with each other on the WoT forum; that might be a unique occurence. Thanks, guys! :great:

onderschepper #6 Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:14 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2060 battles
  • [BOF] BOF

If you're actively collecting the Tokens for the Tank Rewards Beta, you can check Rammer off the shopping list as that is a reward option at Tier II. :)

Miepie #7 Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:34 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3511 battles
  • [KEL-O] KEL-O

View Postonderschepper, on 12 July 2019 - 11:14 AM, said:

If you're actively collecting the Tokens for the Tank Rewards Beta, you can check Rammer off the shopping list as that is a reward option at Tier II. :)

I can't; that one was allocated to my VK30.01H. :unsure:

VonniVidiVici #8 Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:30 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38679 battles

Standard heavy loadout is rammer, vstab and vents for me. A couple of them get optics (Löwe, Somua, Caernarvon AX) but with low view range to begin with optics aren't going to make enough of a difference imo.

Always pick vstab over gld. The only reasons to ever use gld is if the tank can't mount vstab or if gun handling is so utterly atrocious you need both.

Gruff_ #9 Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19293 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Some people run Rammer Vstab GLD on the IS3 so if the Defender gun handling is bad try that.  Otherwise the above are standard You generally want to enhance what is good, rammer and vstab are staples for pretty much every tank so only the 3rd slots choice is vent/optics/gld.  

Tthe carn ax I have but not played yet and will run a few games with just rammer & vert to see how gun feels then likely choose optics over vent for this tank if all feels peachy.

equipment comparison https://tanks.gg/compare/caernarvon-ax?e=31.21.5&t=caernarvon-ax___19.31.21%7Ecaernarvon-ax___5.21.19%7Ecaernarvon___19.31.22

Edited by Gruff_, 12 July 2019 - 03:40 PM.

Baldrickk #10 Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:17 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32140 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
The V-stab is strictly better than the GLD, which is only operational when you don't move the tank at all.

If it's a choice between the two, always go V-stab

Also tagged with equipment, defender, caernarvon, HT, Tips

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users