Blowing 100k free XP on unlocking tiers 2-4. Crazy?

Free XP unlocking

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

SoupFork #1 Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:16 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10705 battles

Tomorrow the free XP conversion rate is 1=35 again. With the locked free XP and gold in my account I can unlock 200.000 free XP.

So this morning I spent some time with a calculator to add up how much XP I’d have to spend to unlock all my unresearched tier 2, 3 and 4 tanks. It comes to 102.986 XP for me. 

Some of the reasons why I am considering this are in random order:

1) Eventually I’ll get to grind/unlock them anyway.

2) playing tier 2-4 is a mess and frustrating, except for a few tanks. Save me the rage.

3) it’s not really worth (re)training crews for tier 2-4. Save the gold/credits

4) it’s not really worth the gold for mounting/demounting good equipment at tier 2-4. Save the gold.

5) it’s not really worth the credits buying all the tanks and modules. Save the credits.

6) you don’t have to research all the modules, Save some XP.

But the main reason is blueprints. I’m grinding tier 8/9/10 tanks and blueprints really help here much, much more than at tier 2-4. So by researching all the lower tier tanks now, I prevent blueprints being wasted on low tiers and the investment in free XP now will over time result in more blueprints for higher tier tanks. I think in the long term that will result in an “XP profit”, considering the investment.

Or am I just (more than usual) crazy?

BlackBloodBandit #2 Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:40 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5507 battles

I am working on unlocking all the low tier tanks to avoid the same problem as you have: waste of blue-prints. I don't get national blueprints often, but mostly universal, that have no use if you don't have national.

• I don't buy all modules on those tanks, to save xp and get through them as quick as possible. Only those that I need to get to the next tank or really need to be competitive enough to get the xp for it I will research and use.
  • Usually I only retrain the commander and gunner for credits, or else I won't even hit a barn at close range.
  • I only use equipment that I can demount without using gold.
  • If possible I buy the tanks in that line when they are on discount, so save credits.

undutchable80 #3 Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:41 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 10791 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I know some people that did that. Personally I did the same up to and including T3. Or do as BBB said, but in the end the question is: is it worth it to you?

Sowa_95 #4 Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:42 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 26985 battles
  • [0XIDE] 0XIDE

In my opinion its a waste. I'd rather spend it on tier 9 modules.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #5 Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:08 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 33045 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View PostSoupFork, on 12 July 2019 - 11:16 AM, said:

Yep, but it's your money, do what you want with it. 

r00barb #6 Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:17 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26706 battles
I played through to tier V of the Polish line using my Pudel crew without retraining them for any of the lower tier tanks and using only removable equipment (binos, net, toolbox). Probably could have achieved better results playing them properly but it got the tanks out of the way and doesn't take too long. I'd rather save the free xp for higher tier modules.

fwhaatpiraat #7 Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 55586 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Last time i really grinded (ground?) through the lower tiers is 4-5 years ago I think. No reason to play them for a few battles and then train the crew to the next tank again, also equipping the tanks and such is just a waste imo.

100k is what costed free-XP-ing the modules of the Centurion 1 iirc. If 1 tier 8 tank equals a lot of lower tier tanks, that seems definitely worth it to me. 

Edited by fwhaatpiraat, 12 July 2019 - 12:32 PM.

Zmago5000 #8 Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10607 battles

Tomorrow the free XP conversion rate is 1=35 again. With the locked free XP and gold in my account I can unlock 200.000 free XP.

So this morning I spent some time with a calculator to add up how much XP I’d have to spend to unlock all my unresearched tier 2, 3 and 4 tanks. It comes to 102.986 XP for me. 

2) playing tier 2-4 is a mess and frustrating, except for a few tanks. Save me the rage.

4) it’s not really worth the gold for mounting/demounting good equipment at tier 2-4. Save the gold.

5) it’s not really worth the credits buying all the tanks and modules. Save the credits.

But the main reason is blueprints. I’m grinding tier 8/9/10 tanks and blueprints really help here much, much more than at tier 2-4. So by researching all the lower tier tanks now, I prevent blueprints being wasted on low tiers and the investment in free XP now will over time result in more blueprints for higher tier tanks. I think in the long term that will result in an “XP profit”, considering the investment.

i ve done the same, spent some 100k exp or so,, to unlock all 2-3-4 tanks and also some tier5,....ussualy I start playing tier5 when grinded exp for tier6 are more than crew retraining, so at least no crew % is lost in the progress.....

Edited by Zmago5000, 12 July 2019 - 12:34 PM.

WhoCares01 #9 Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:37 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17786 battles

2. It's just a few battles, esp. at tier 1 and 2 - play 1 to 5 low tier battles an evening, and you will fairly quickly be done with the most relevant tree entries.

3. I just started the Chinese (Top of the Tree bonus!) => playing tier 1 to 3 with 50% crew! I just don't care about my performance on those tanks.

4. Tier 1 and 2 I play stock, even though I "elite" all the tanks i play. No equipment or consumables either (except binocs and maybe toolbox, as I have some laying around and they demount for free)

5. Tier 1 tanks are for free - paying gold for freeExp to skip them is really just wasting it, as you play them only for one or two battles anyway; agree with the modules => playing them stock

6. Correct. Though I "elite" all tanks that I actively grind. But if you intent to skip tanks with freeExp, absolutely skip modules!

If any n00b reads this, the general consensus is to use freeExp only to skip modules (to prevent playing tanks stock) but not tanks! But if someone insists on skipping tanks like the OP, it certainly makes sense not to waste freeExp on modules of those skipped tanks. But really, as a noob, don't skip tanks!

W.r.t. blueprints, as someone already pointed out, not just are BP not "wasted" on low tier tanks, but only by having already researched tanks of a nation, you can also get national BPs for that nation, and you need and can use those, to reduce some bad grinds even more. I lately grinded through the British mid-tier 

Bora_BOOM #10 Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:56 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 27203 battles
  • [DID0] DID0

Do it like a man!

125k (+10k-ish for the gun) spent on completely skipping Black Prince. 0 games played, 0 fecks given.

And that's 0 XP converted, its all collected from playing.

:B

Edited by Bora_BOOM, 12 July 2019 - 12:59 PM.

TheDrownedApe #11 Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:59 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 48400 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
i did this for all my 1-5 tiers before the blueprints came out. worth it in my opinion

Jack_Sparroxx #12 Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 60836 battles
  • [KLKMP] KLKMP

View PostSoupFork, on 12 July 2019 - 10:16 AM, said:

You shouldnt, too many lines are total crap and are a waste of time. 

See above

See above

See above

See above

See above

Jumping_Turtle #13 Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:16 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 67283 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

View PostTheDrownedApe, on 12 July 2019 - 12:59 PM, said:

i did this for all my 1-5 tiers before the blueprints came out. worth it in my opinion

Same here.

mpf1959 #14 Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24966 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I cannot for the life of me understand why you would even ask other peoples opinion on what you should do? :amazed:

I feel this way regarding many such questions on the forum, just felt like commenting on this, are independent minds so rare?

Negativvv #15 Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11576 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

I tend to start my grinds at T5 to T8.

Yes I invest FXP in skipping lower tiers and I always buy out modules but I'm running out of tanks to grind.

430u, AMX 50b, T30 and maybe Centurion 7/1 then I'll be done.

Play long enough and the blueprints will flow anyway.

Schepel #16 Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:49 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 64109 battles
I really wouldn't. Save free xp to unlock modules. Whether or not blueprints get 'wasted' on lower tiers really isn't all that important. However, if you 'need' to play T6/7/8/9 tanks stock, you will feel silly for wasting your free xp on lower tiers in tech trees you apparently don't care about.

Warzey #17 Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

• WGL PRO Player
  • 59364 battles
  • [GOOFY] GOOFY
As much as I dislike playing low tier tanks, I'd say that free exp is better spent on high tier tanks to unlock modules, stock grinds can be especially bad on some tanks. 

Sirebellus #18 Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22351 battles
I think it's crazy to just waste free XP on unlocking EVERY tank up to T4 at once... decide which lines you want to grind from T5 first and unlock them. There are about 45 tech tree lines in the game, just pick a couple to Free XP and grind, the rest will still be there in a months time when the next XP Fever event happens

SoupFork #19 Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:12 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10705 battles

View Postmpf1959, on 12 July 2019 - 01:27 PM, said:

I cannot for the life of me understand why you would even ask other peoples opinion on what you should do? :amazed:

I feel this way regarding many such questions on the forum, just felt like commenting on this, are independent minds so rare?

100k xp is not chump change, it makes sense to ask for pros/cons before comitting to this. Maybe someone would have a calculation or statistic to show a critical flaw in my thinking.

Yes, I can think independently but that doesn't mean I should blindly do everything that I think is a good idea.

I think assuming everything you come up with is always correct just because you thought of it, is a far bigger problem than people sensibly asking for input in big decisions.

13:15 Added after 3 minutes

View PostSirebellus, on 12 July 2019 - 02:08 PM, said:

I think it's crazy to just waste free XP on unlocking EVERY tank up to T4 at once... decide which lines you want to grind from T5 first and unlock them. There are about 45 tech tree lines in the game, just pick a couple to Free XP and grind, the rest will still be there in a months time when the next XP Fever event happens

The point of unlocking them is that they are not researched because right now i have no intention of grinding them, so I want to minimize the amount of blueprints assigned to "dead" tech tree lines.

And if they do get into a line I have no intention of grinding, at least they'll be for a higher tier vhicle.

Edited by SoupFork, 12 July 2019 - 02:13 PM.

seXikanac #20 Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13289 battles
  • [-YU-] -YU-

Why bother wasting free XP on low tiers? Even I reach tier 4 in several battles. If I where you, I would use one weekend and unlock all tank lines to the tier 4 or 5

Also tagged with Free XP, unlocking

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users