Stb-1 or leopard

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Praetorias #1 Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:24 AM

Private

• Player
  • 5223 battles
  • [ANV1L] ANV1L

Post the changes, are either now a must?

I was heading towards a tier 10 arty but wonder if it would be better spent for one of these too if they offer dramatically good gameplay.

Thanks

DeadLecter #2 Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:37 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 30560 battles
Leo 1 is still paper thin and like all paper thin tanks, it is gonna be tricky and a little bit hard to play. STB-1 has better armor but the thing STB-1 is now designed for close combat and if you don't know how to do it then it's gonna be just as hard, specially considering that Type 61 and STA-1 are nothing like STB-1 and they don't offer the same game play. So I'd say go for a more newb friendly line. Like 430U, IS7 and such. But if you want to choose between Leo 1 and STB-1 I personally prefer Leo 1 for the better alpha, pen and mobility.

AHNHEM #3 Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:42 AM

Private

• Player
  • 20050 battles

For me both are crapstill. Stb looks better allround doe, i would pick the swedish one doe.  Higger alpha and does the same "role" And u cant "snipe" with 25% rng anyways. So why would u pick the leo for anything?

Look at lemmings video about sniping : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KinBQwkZ8Y

XxKuzkina_MatxX #4 Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:48 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 53201 battles
  • [OBY] OBY
Both are really bad. Why don't you try the M48 patton or the Progetto 65?

AHNHEM #5 Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:53 AM

Private

• Player
  • 20050 battles
Patton is very good allround i think, suffers a bit in mobility, but gains in gun handling. snapshot king !

Praetorias #6 Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:45 AM

Private

• Player
  • 5223 battles
  • [ANV1L] ANV1L
Am only really tempted by one of the two in the title to be honest.  Just which one?

demon_tank #7 Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:04 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26507 battles
  • [RED_S] RED_S

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 13 July 2019 - 06:48 AM, said:

Both are really bad. Why don't you try the M48 patton or the Progetto 65?

WUT ???

No both arent really bad. Both are really very good. No the best tanks in tier 10 but still pretty decent.

LEO is a very FAST and accurate sniper with 420 alpha which feels pretty nice.

STB has the crazy dpm & hulldown ability.

Both are great tbh.

Edited by demon_tank, 13 July 2019 - 10:04 AM.

splash_time #8 Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:15 AM

Private

• Player
  • 11267 battles
  • [GRFIN] GRFIN

View PostPraetorias, on 13 July 2019 - 09:45 AM, said:

Am only really tempted by one of the two in the title to be honest.  Just which one?

If you still a new player, I'll advice you not to try thin armor tanks, first go for Stb-1 and when you gain the enough skills, then head on to leo 1, because leo 1 is a sniper, and you can't show your tank in public, because if you do, you will lose half of your HP at least.

Stb-1 is not the best at armor too, but still can do pretty well if you learn to handle it.

Especially at close combats as WG redesigned(rebalanced) it.

Edited by splash_time, 13 July 2019 - 10:17 AM.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #9 Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:38 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 53201 battles
  • [OBY] OBY

View Postdemon_tank, on 13 July 2019 - 01:04 PM, said:

WUT ???

No both arent really bad. Both are really very good. No the best tanks in tier 10 but still pretty decent.

LEO is a very FAST and accurate sniper with 420 alpha which feels pretty nice.

STB has the crazy dpm & hulldown ability.

Both are great tbh.

So which one do you prefer, this one...

STB-1

or that one?

Leopard 1

These graphs are from patch 1.5.1 day to present day and they show no improvement despite the recent buffs. Now take a look at this one too...

EU server win rate

Paper stats don't always reflect the tank efficiency in random battles and a recommendation should be based on more than just numbers and with the person asking the question in mind. Sniper tanks like the Leo lack something essential to win more. The timing of doing damage is much harder to control than in a front line tank (heavy-armored medium). Map design also heavily influence the performance of these tanks. Similar results can be seen with a lot of sniper TDs, excellent paper stats but horrible performance in battle.

On the other hand there is the IS-6, bad or mediocre stats but excellent win rate. Something like the Cromwell B follow different set of rules because of the tier difference yet maintain a very good win rate.

Edited by XxKuzkina_MatxX, 13 July 2019 - 02:42 PM.

Dorander #10 Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:44 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 21014 battles

I wouldn't consider the Leopard 1 a "must" even after its buffs, but I will say it has become a fair bit more fun to play. Not that I can manage to get its atrocious winrate up at any decent rate, but I get a lot better games in it than before. Problem is if your team sucks, you're totally screwed because it's virtually impossible to carry in once the enemy closes in.

Can't say much about the STB but apparently it at least has turret armour so that's a thing.

Warzey #11 Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

• WGL PRO Player
  • 59364 battles
  • [GOOFY] GOOFY

Well neither of them are a must as far as clan wars and strongholds are concerned. 

For randoms both tanks have some downright frustrating aspects. STB-1 gets absolutely murdered by arties and as you know most of the hull down spots are not arty safe. On the other hand Leopard is often forced to camp even when action is needed, so you have to rely on your team mates for that. 

Between these two I would recommend STB-1 since it's easier to play in my opinion and there's a novelty with siege mode, plus STB is getting some quality of life buffs in the next patch (better gun depression and more responsive siege mode) so it should be even more pleasant to play.

Edited by Warzey, 13 July 2019 - 11:47 AM.

ExclamationMark #12 Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:11 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16785 battles
  • [IDEAD] IDEAD

Leopard, it is a really fun tank. Great at ramming and a hilarious autoloader. :trollface:

In all seriousness, I would go for the STB-1, almost solely due to the HEAT. Not having HEAT at T10 is a huge burden in the current meta, unless your premium APCR has very high pen (I'm talking E3/E4 levels of pen).

callum347 #13 Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:30 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 52221 battles
  • [0XIDE] 0XIDE
You have 4 tier 10's and only 4.8k battles, not to be rude or anything but maybe you should learn to play the game first rather than rushing up to tier 10 to play the 'best' tanks in the game, that way you'll also learn the play style as you go up the tiers and be a better player in the top tier tank, you will also be less disappointed if you dislike the line at the lower tiers as you will spend less free exp and credits than getting to the top tier tank and finding you dislike the tank...

Praetorias #14 Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:59 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5223 battles
  • [ANV1L] ANV1L

I play plenty, I don’t grind trees and only grind convertible for the tanks I aim to play. I have a plan for having different styles of tanks and once enough silver to run t10 as its not profitable, will play t10 a lot more. We all play in different ways, I did the same in world of warships and no problem there.

You can develop just as well this way.  I just do not have the time to play trees with real life....

This is more a post about the merits of both tanks, how differently they play to a brawler like 430u.  Does it appear to be better option as its gameplay is v different and fun etc

Edited by Praetorias, 14 July 2019 - 12:26 AM.

Benistown_GagsoisbisteDD #15 Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:55 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16755 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-
Looking at your dpg in 430u id recommend the stb-1 over leo just becouse you have less chance to ruin the game for others in it.

Somnorila #16 Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:09 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 57688 battles

I have both but if i had to chose one i would probably pick Leo. Straight forward and simple, keep distance, use irregular terrain and shoot.

STB is kind of annoying with that new suspension. Sure you can get very good frontal depression but limits its ability to be flexible and use terrain in any situation. It's supposed to be a close quarters combat type of animal but you can't brawl properly in it because moving around and shooting in any direction presents some limitation that can make you not be able to point your gun at the enemy. I remember one of my first matches where i took a ramp and did well until enemies decided to push from two direction, where i seen that turning the tank and trying to hit side shots alongside with that auto suspension doesn't work that well. It has a mind of its own and some times it's more of a bother than a help. It also sucks at shooting during movement, even when just traversing. It's a static kind of MT. Go in position and shoot and shoot. But if you need some flexibility and multiple target acquisitions with aggressive and mobile enemies up close then you're pretty much out of your waters. From that point of view Leo is better, doesn't have armor but seems easier to play and more predictable.  

chainreact0r #17 Posted 15 July 2019 - 10:45 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 33567 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE

Impressive service record.

If i were you i wouldn't bother grinding lines. Instead i would play the plethora of premium tanks that you have and prevent credit loss in the process. Since you payed for all that, might as well squeeze some enjoyment out of your sizable(to say the least) investment. Plenty of entertaining content right there since most premiums are pretty good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users