Shift away from realism

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Sinus_Maximus #1 Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:04 PM

Private

• Player
  • 7552 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

Back in the day i started playing WoT we all praised it for it's realistic displays of tanks, their strengths and weaknesses, even of the dynamic of the game....we thought that it might evolve into something bigger, maybe some recreations of the historic battles or such. 

Anyways, it is a game. Simple as that. And even though we all still enjoy it as it portrays these machines as they were (or still are in some cases) in a real world, with every change it devolves the realism it was created around. This latest introduction of fast wheeled vehicles is the latest drag.

First....

It's about spotting mechanics. Anyone who ever rode in ANY off-road vehicle will know that spotting something that is not at least painted in bright colors is simply not possible. Yet a french wheeled vehicle can spot a hidden tank at 350 meters. 

Don't get me wrong. A PARKED vehicle that was designed to recon (better optics, binoculars) would spot an enemy and relay it's position. 

So, how about this small change....if in motion, a vehicle (ANY vehicle) can spot an enemy, but it may be WRONG. It relays an information about a spotted target which is not there. Because it happens. In reality it does. Now , a parked vehicle can spot with 100% accuracy, but any movement and it will deviate by a certain degree....at full speed it may spot , lets say, 3 targets even though there is none, or maybe spot a big tank with some 20 meter accuracy.

Second...

Tanks going back-and-front...Just disable it please. Not one of these vehicles can do that...0.3 to 2 second delay, depending on a vehicle and driver training between switching between 1st and reverse gear. Please.

Third...

Barrel overheat. It's a simple problem most heavy tank guns face. In the desert firing 7-8 rounds put of a 155mm gun will lead to gun being less accurate, misfires....

Fourth...

If tracked, a vehicle cannot do anything...all crew is out there fixing a track, so no one left to drive, spot, fire a gun, traverse a turret...

Fifth...

Mines. Land mines. Anti-tank land mines. Simple and extremely effective area denial weapons. WWII saw an extensive use of them.

Sixth...

A vehicle that has 20mm of armor cannot deflect a 155mm round. If dropped from a 10 story building it would penetrate 20mm, so a next time i hit a moving AMX light with a 155mm fired from a T30 it should not just disable it...it should throw out it's engine and a driver out of the vehicle....not do a damage on it's tracks.

Just some thoughts. What do you all say about these things?

Bracciano_gatto #2 Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:25 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2906 battles

You will find most of that stuff on that other game out there.

You will also notice your chances of surviving a battle are rather low.

WoT is more "arcade-ish".

Homer_J #3 Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:25 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31744 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostSinus_Maximus, on 21 July 2019 - 10:04 PM, said:

Back in the day i started playing WoT we all praised it for it's realistic displays of tanks,

Really, when?

Sinus_Maximus #4 Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:22 AM

Private

• Player
  • 7552 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

Maybe 10 years ago, don't really remember now. I told a friend of mine of a WoT, he told another...hell, must have been about 5-6 of us, one guy an ex-army tanker. At the time it was a free mmorpg and compared to the rest of the games back then, it was great. 

I was just trying to point out some of my thoughts about the game, and to see if there are other players with similar or even opposite ideas. I would like to hear about that.

My real life has enough sarcasm as it is, so don't need it here.

Negativvv #5 Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:05 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12121 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

WoT is about as realistic for tank combat as Counterstrike is for CQB gun fights...

Maybe WT is more realistic but I don't play that.

WoT could be reskinned with Sci Fi or anything else and it would largely be the same game.

BravelyRanAway #6 Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:23 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 24196 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostSinus_Maximus, on 22 July 2019 - 12:22 AM, said:

Maybe 10 years ago, don't really remember now. I told a friend of mine of a WoT, he told another...hell, must have been about 5-6 of us, one guy an ex-army tanker. At the time it was a free mmorpg and compared to the rest of the games back then, it was great. 

Max 7 years ago for you. It was never realistic then or now. It's still free. Enough people think it's still great to place it in the top ten earners of F2P PC games.

Nethraniel #7 Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:50 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 14318 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Never ever in the whole history of WoT there were realistic tank mechanics involved, never.

They do a great job depicting the tanks correctly, and back in the days armor layouts were close but never exact to realistic values, but that's it.

Homer_J #8 Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:41 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31744 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostSinus_Maximus, on 22 July 2019 - 01:22 AM, said:

Maybe 10 years ago, don't really remember now. 

So 3 years before you started playing and a year before the closed beta started.

Interesting.

Oldewolfe #9 Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:36 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 521 battles

Realism doesn't Sell Tanks....

We're the Olde Generation, Kids today don't do things the way we did and don't have the Same Attention Span....        Newer is always Better, while we don't mind ours Well Broke In and a Bit Worn....      It's a Comfort Thing vs the Shiny Thing....      

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users