Listening for light tanks

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Biostud #1 Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:01 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 14324 battles

Should light tanks have a special ability where they when stationary where able to spot tanks firing without line of sight. The ability should be enabled like binoculars, but maybe at a reduced range of the tank view range. Could also be a perk for the radio operator to extend the range. 

Just an idea to make lights more special to play. 

kaneloon #2 Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:11 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 30594 battles
  • [UKN-A] UKN-A

Ok for helping lights, but this would be weird - you would be spotted without direct view ? Someone would know your precise position just by sound ? Too powerful : a wheeled would run for a hole and stay there.

Just boosting the guns of standard lights would be nice : dpm, precision, ...

Biostud #3 Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:21 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 14324 battles
Maybe make it a cone with 5% to each side of gun direction, so you had to "aim" your listening.

The_Naa #4 Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:38 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 7314 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

if light tanks could spot other tanks by catching Radio waves that would make more sense to me...

every time someone pings a map or asks for fire support etc. there could be a small chance for them to get spotter if they are inside the light tanks own radio range. (750M on WZ-132-1 for example) and if you want to avoid being spotted this way you need radio silence. the more you ping the map the more likely you are to being spotted.

Ehern #5 Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:44 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20949 battles
  • [DTM] DTM
good idea a circle with a certain width around the dpot of noise

tajj7 #6 Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:45 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27778 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
I liked the 'lights' special skills they have in AW, like smoke and the ability to designate a spotted target and they take extra damage. 

Kozzy #7 Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:53 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 42080 battles
  • [RINSE] RINSE

View Posttajj7, on 26 July 2019 - 07:45 AM, said:

I liked the 'lights' special skills they have in AW, like smoke and the ability to designate a spotted target and they take extra damage. 

I like this (along with the OP's idea actually) but not the added damage part.  Maybe instead have a designated target lit up for 2-3 seconds longer?

TungstenHitman #8 Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:16 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 29836 battles

Well, as it stands, there are some maps where I can park my light tank in a bush a literally go do something else for the entire battle like go make a coffee, then come back to 8k spotting assist and almost and ace tanker, for doing nothing basically. So I feel being able to spot targets without line of sight would be taking the pi*s altogether. There is a lot of interesting potential for light tank ability expansion though like the ability to lay a mine once every minute or deploy smoke so long as they are not launched from range and would have to actually be dropped on the desired location by the light tank going their and doing it, risking it in other words. Might buy some time for situations in which your teams lemming train heads off into the horizon leaving entire sections of map totally exposed. Something like that. 

I'd really like the idea of a mine drop ability once every minute because a light tank is mobile and high camo so has the role ability to try and sneak down a flank or to a road some advancing metal beast is most likely going to take as it advances towards your cap and do nothing more than blow it's tracks off if driven over, no damage, just knock off a track. This just buys some time, I think that would be interesting and since it only replenishes once every minute, it wouldn't really be troll and of course, ANYONE driving over it will have their tracks blown off, so, could come back to bite you in the backside as you try and relocate later lol. 

Edited by TungstenHitman, 26 July 2019 - 09:20 AM.

FrantisekBascovansky #9 Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:19 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26300 battles
oh yeah we need light arty hybrid

tajj7 #10 Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:16 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27778 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostKozzy, on 26 July 2019 - 07:53 AM, said:

I like this (along with the OP's idea actually) but not the added damage part.  Maybe instead have a designated target lit up for 2-3 seconds longer?

Could work, though that is pretty much what that crew skill is no? Is it designated target? thats about 2s longer IIRC and if you use the directive as well you can push it to 4s. 

IIRC on the AW skill, you had to hold down a button over the target for x amount of seconds, target was then specifically lit up as like a focus fire target and it took about 10-15% more damage than standard. The skill then had a long ish cool down, so it didn't make a massive difference but helped the light vehicle deal with hard to kill targets. 

Maybe you could only use it for example on heavies or something? 

We also have for example recon plane from the Frontlines, that could be a light only consumable. Considering how hard it is for lights to dig out those camping nests it might give them an extra tool to challenge campers, maybe make it less effective than in frontlines, maybe like lights up a smaller area for say 10s or 15s and has like a 3 minute cooldown so it could only be used probably max 2/3 times most games. 

IMO WG need to follow the lead of WOWs, we have hundreds of tanks in the game now, and 5 classes with huge variations of vehicle type in those classes (like assault TDs vs sniper TDs) its very difficult for WG to differentiate all these tanks and give them unique or interesting stuff within just their characteristics like armour, DPM, alpha etc. and the old 'national characteristics' have pretty much gone out the window so I think having unique nation or class based crew skills and consumables is the way forward, which is what WOWs has.

In WOWs you have things like radar consumable, smoke consumable, reload booster consumable, heals, speed boost consumables etc. 

I think adding special consumables would add some more variety and I think certainly for lights could give them more utility and make them more competitive outside of just adjusting their DPMs, view range, pen, mobility etc. 

Kozzy #11 Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:25 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 42080 battles
  • [RINSE] RINSE

View Posttajj7, on 26 July 2019 - 09:16 AM, said:

Could work, though that is pretty much what that crew skill is no? Is it designated target? thats about 2s longer IIRC and if you use the directive as well you can push it to 4s. 

IIRC on the AW skill, you had to hold down a button over the target for x amount of seconds, target was then specifically lit up as like a focus fire target and it took about 10-15% more damage than standard. The skill then had a long ish cool down, so it didn't make a massive difference but helped the light vehicle deal with hard to kill targets. 

Maybe you could only use it for example on heavies or something? 

We also have for example recon plane from the Frontlines, that could be a light only consumable. Considering how hard it is for lights to dig out those camping nests it might give them an extra tool to challenge campers, maybe make it less effective than in frontlines, maybe like lights up a smaller area for say 10s or 15s and has like a 3 minute cooldown so it could only be used probably max 2/3 times most games. 

IMO WG need to follow the lead of WOWs, we have hundreds of tanks in the game now, and 5 classes with huge variations of vehicle type in those classes (like assault TDs vs sniper TDs) its very difficult for WG to differentiate all these tanks and give them unique or interesting stuff within just their characteristics like armour, DPM, alpha etc. and the old 'national characteristics' have pretty much gone out the window so I think having unique nation or class based crew skills and consumables is the way forward, which is what WOWs has.

In WOWs you have things like radar consumable, smoke consumable, reload booster consumable, heals, speed boost consumables etc. 

I think adding special consumables would add some more variety and I think certainly for lights could give them more utility and make them more competitive outside of just adjusting their DPMs, view range, pen, mobility etc. 

I was kind of referencing that crew perk but should have been clearer.  Maybe remove the perk or amplify its abilities with this new feature.  Either that or implement any of the other ideas you posted which could all work (with balancing).  I feel lights need something to make them fun and competitive without taking away roles from other classes.

I know me and you disagree quite a lot on this one but I feel like lights should be able to defend themselves/fight their way out of situations but not necessarily win 1v1 brawls with other classes (heavies/meds) or deal large amounts of damage in a typical battle.  I feel they should be able to influence the battle in other ways and the stuff you suggested would be great at providing those other tools.  Lights aren't great at carrying in the higher tiers but I feel the only way for them to be able to would be to overbuff their damage-dealing abilities or to provide with a better support toolset.

Negativvv #12 Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:30 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12220 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

I use that +2 Sec crew spotting skill on my LTs and Meds....

Farming that spotting damage :bush:

Biostud #13 Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:06 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 14324 battles

To prevent the passive camping maybe if you actively "marked" the spotted tanks they would light up for two more seconds. Something only light tanks should have, and obviously cumulative with designated target.

The sound spotting range should maybe be 40% of viewing range.

SaintMaddenus #14 Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:19 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 37419 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

"So I feel being able to spot targets without line of sight would be taking the pi*s altogether"

yep, we know the other non-line of sight mechanic draws a LOT of criticism.  :)

Spurtung #15 Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:32 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 72674 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

But all tanks have this ability already...

That's the logic behind proxy spotting: one can hear an engine running from 50m away.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users