Is it me or do you also think that "Homefront" is an utter failure?

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

HundeWurst #1 Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:45 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 74992 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

Bobs, gentlemen, ladies (who am I kidding? There are no girls on the internet....).

What is your opinion? I feel like its a utter failure:

1. Yet another gamemode which soloe evolves around grinding.
  2. Endless repetition without much or any change.
  3. Entirely screwed up gated system, which does not allow you to play in your own paste.
  4. Rewards being the only reason to even consider to play it.
  5. Once you start using the credit card you dont even finish the grind.
  6. The matchmaking is questionable. Why are tier 1 and 2 matched with tier 3 making it close to impossible to win, hence everyone loses out on progress.

Its so sad.... Would anyone play this for more than 5 battles? You could say that for Frontline as well, but this one takes the cherry for me.

Negativvv #2 Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:49 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12125 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

Played two battles, lost interest. Stayed with Random Battles as I'm grinding credits and working on MoE.

Bad how there are not even credits or XP given out for Home front. Why even play?

PointZero #3 Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 45834 battles

I can confirm that it is only you, the official post is full of high praise for this excellent mode and its outstanding matchmaking.

If I may ask what kind of paste do you like playing in?

r00barb #4 Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:52 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27523 battles
I don't think it's an utter failure but I don't feel any compelling need to play it after the first day. The match-making is enough to put me off, I know there are various ways to make up a same-tier platoon but quite frankly I can't be arsed.

splash_time #5 Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:03 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 11984 battles
  • [GRFIN] GRFIN

I only played the first day, and only Bcuz i was bored from random battling!.

And what's the point from playing it anyway? there's no credits profit, in fact, there's nothing!! 

And always my battles at the second stage, tier, rank or whatever it was, ends with me alone against three tigers which i can't even pen with AP!

It's pointless IMO.  : /

Edited by splash_time, 28 July 2019 - 08:03 PM.

Spurtung #6 Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:06 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 72589 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

Sand River is bugged, Panthers and Tigers have amazing snaps and blind shots.

This is one of those to grind for rewards and that's it, zero fun.

Trinxxy #7 Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:10 PM

Private

• Clan Commander
  • 49328 battles
  • [MIND] MIND

View PostPointZero, on 28 July 2019 - 06:52 PM, said:

I can confirm that it is only you, the official post is full of high praise for this excellent mode and its outstanding matchmaking.

This is what I was wondering, that level of English though, just utterly outstanding hahahaha 

Shypax #8 Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:12 PM

Private

• Player
  • 17324 battles
  • [DURKA] DURKA
its terrible, people dont realize when you have a tier 4 vs a tier 7 you have to play with your head not your 2 button 

but also its grindy as crap, 10 waves with only tier 4s = wasted time from the start
and its build to make WOT more daily grind, to keep players logging in , its absolutely terrible

Babbet_1 #9 Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13551 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostPointZero, on 28 July 2019 - 07:52 PM, said:

For us Dingers it would have to be good old Salmon & Shrimp Fish Paste every time!  :rolleyes:

Mimos_A #10 Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:14 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29141 battles
  • [SPESH] SPESH

It could be good with really minor changes. I think the matchmaking is terrible, it really doesn't make sense to have the -2 mm and then the tank setups like they are. You literally end up with in a position where the best you can do is hide and throw arty/plane strikes. The rewards vs. progression is doesn't make it worthwhile. Other than that, I think it has a lot of potential. It's a fun mode that is a nice break from the sometimes infuriating stupidity of randoms, competitive, yet less frustrating and punishing. I have good hope they'll get it right with some changes, but the current grind (OR JUST PAY AND STILL GRIND HURRRDURRR) is just dumb.

EDIT: The only thing I really dislike a lot about this is how they monetize what is clearly a beta product without pointing out how much of an experiment it is.

Edited by Mimos_A, 28 July 2019 - 08:40 PM.

Bulldog_Drummond #11 Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:15 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32663 battles

I played two games in the HF mode.  The first one out of idle curiosity, the second to see whether it was really as stupid as I had thought.

There won't be a third game.

Mind you, many seem to like FrontLine, which to me is as fun as watching paint dry.  There's no accounting for taste.

_snowfIake__ #12 Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28300 battles
I love how I get shot and die from the Panthers or Tigers when in the sniper view their guns have not yet finished rotating towards me.

onderschepper #13 Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2168 battles
  • [BOF] BOF

I would rather buy Wargaming's new PvE game Pagan than play/ pay for Homefront.

................and being half the price of a retail game I may actually give it a go. :coin:

SovietBias #14 Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37792 battles

It feels poorly designed and implemented.

Uninteresting combat, multitiered grind that seems to serve no other purpose other than to be monetized (within battalions and within fronts) the fuel system forcing you to play only X matches, and a terrible MM philosophy, where you can waste your already limited fuel cans in hopeless fights.

Needs a lot of work, I think.

Edited by SovietBias, 28 July 2019 - 08:20 PM.

Dorander #15 Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:20 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 21025 battles

Going point by point:

1) Yeah it's a grind, guess there has to be something to skip for money. Problem is that the fuel system doesn't allow you to actually grind it.

2) That's WoT for the past decade so not too bothered with that one. Besides that PvE modes in any game are characterized by predictability.

3) Yum, paste. Joke aside though I wouldn't mind the gating if your results didn't depend on much on both the performance of four others as well as on other design problems.

4) What is considered rewarding in any sense is subjective, these are entertainment products. Conceptually I quite enjoy the mode, until the grind inevitably turns it dull.

5) Unsure what that means... you mean you can pay your way to completion? I didn't check or care because I have zero intention to spend money on this mode.

6) Yup, that one occurred to me too. Felt pretty helpless in my first match with a level 3 and two level 2s, who eventually also died 'cause they had 3 players left on the field.

Some things I would change:

1) Improve the matchmaker to match people of equal levels. If this is not possible, ensure that there's a maximum of 1 level apart. If that is not possible, increase the rewards for lower level players similarly to how they get bonuses for experience in randoms.

2) Improve the speed at which players progress to the next level. We're already limited in what we can do with limited fuel, people who get some bad luck in teams now just get punished. Remove the missions for fuel to compensate if necessary but improve the overall quality per game.

3) Remove the impact of victory/defeat by equalizing results for win/loss. Losing all your tanks or base-lives is already punishing because it deprives you of further earnings and you have limited attempts. There is already an incentive to do well, it doesn't also need a punishment for the overall loss, some of which is always beyond your own control.

4) Match earnings more strongly to personal contribution, thereby rewarding active players who play well rather than those who play poorly or not play at all.

5) Get rid of those stupid bombers, it's a pointless mechanic that only punishes people for being in a slow tank that they have no control over. I quickly discovered that my Valentine can't even make it out of the circle before the bombs land, it's nothing to do with sitting in an area or passively playing and everything to do with whatever you happen to be driving.

Blubba #16 Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:22 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 59429 battles

It's just something a little different. Over quick enough and can't play that many games a day so it's much less of a grind to me.

That said, some of those snap shots, spotting, MM and the ability of airstrikes to kill me outside of the circle detract a great deal.

SovietBias #17 Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37792 battles

View PostDorander, on 28 July 2019 - 07:20 PM, said:

5) Get rid of those stupid bombers, it's a pointless mechanic that only punishes people for being in a slow tank that they have no control over. I quickly discovered that my Valentine can't even make it out of the circle before the bombs land, it's nothing to do with sitting in an area or passively playing and everything to do with whatever you happen to be driving.

After watching the video introducing Homefront, I got the idea it was some sort of mechanism that would trigger should you camp too long. I can't even understand its purpose besides shutting down your cover in the Ensk village as it seems to trigger only after you defeat the first Tiger, no matter what you did.

Edited by SovietBias, 28 July 2019 - 08:34 PM.

Dorander #18 Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:31 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 21025 battles

View PostSovietBias, on 28 July 2019 - 07:29 PM, said:

After watching the video introducing Homefront, I got the idea it was some sort of mechanism that would trigger should you camp too long. I can't even understand it's purpose besides shutting down your cover in the Ensk village as it seems to trigger only after you defeat the first Tiger, no matter what you did.

That's what I assumed from the initial description as well, notice my utter surprise when on a scripted moment everyone gets a bombing circle over them.

Bonus fun if you're in cover and caught under your own circle as well as between the circles of two of your allies. GREAT idea, Wargaming (/sarcasm)

Shivvering #19 Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:42 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 33079 battles

View PostHundeWurst, on 28 July 2019 - 07:45 PM, said:

Bobs, gentlemen, ladies (who am I kidding? There are no girls on the internet....).

What is your opinion? I feel like its a utter failure:

1. Yet another gamemode which soloe evolves around grinding.
  2. Endless repetition without much or any change.
  3. Entirely screwed up gated system, which does not allow you to play in your own paste.
  4. Rewards being the only reason to even consider to play it.
  5. Once you start using the credit card you dont even finish the grind.
  6. The matchmaking is questionable. Why are tier 1 and 2 matched with tier 3 making it close to impossible to win, hence everyone loses out on progress.

Its so sad.... Would anyone play this for more than 5 battles? You could say that for Frontline as well, but this one takes the cherry for me.

50/50. I don't mind playing a few games per day on it. But 2-3 is about my limit before getting bored.

wsatnutter #20 Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:55 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 26334 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
Its pure garbage utter utter garbage. Designed to milk wallets

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users