August Top of the Tree: STB-1

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

undutchable80 #1 Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:50 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 11087 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

For those interested, the TotT line for August will be the STB-1 (source: Eekeeboo's vid in https://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/general-news/august-2019-specials-sneak-peek/)

EDIT: Which tanks in this line are considered keepers, ok'ish, hidden gems & stinkers / freexp sinks, etc?

Edited by undutchable80, 29 July 2019 - 09:53 AM.

HaZardeur #2 Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:04 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 36286 battles

Chi-Reeeeeeee for memes

Type 61 because its nice to play

Spurtung #3 Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:06 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 72674 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

View Postundutchable80, on 29 July 2019 - 08:50 AM, said:

EDIT: Which tanks in this line are considered keepers, ok'ish, hidden gems & stinkers / freexp sinks, etc?

Tier 6+ and they're all decent, each with its own "thing".

Tier 6 has good pen; tier 7 uses that same gun but with a quick 3-shot autoloader; I didn't really like the tier 8, but it's an all-rounder.

Tier 9 is great, and I really haven't played tier 10 that much due to potato gun, and not even now after it got changed.

Zmago5000 #4 Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:15 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10932 battles
is that confirmed info?

undutchable80 #5 Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:19 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 11087 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostZmago5000, on 29 July 2019 - 10:15 AM, said:

is that confirmed info?

Confirmed @ 0:27

STB1TotT.jpg

Edited by undutchable80, 29 July 2019 - 10:21 AM.

r00barb #6 Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:21 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27533 battles

If you start up the light line, the Ke-Ho (tier IV) is good fun as a low tier light and possible seal-clubber. The Chi-Nu is good, I really enjoyed the Chi-To (tier VI), enough to keep it after finishing the grind. The Chi-Ri auto-loader is fun but the tank's the size of a house with flat, thin armour (sides can be over-matched by calibres over 105mm). The STA-1 is a pretty average tier 8 medium with 240 alpha but good pen on its AP (218mm with the top gun).

I've only played the Type 61 and STB on an old test server. I didn't mind them but my grind stalled at tier 8 because it's frankly a bit dull and I didn't find anything in them to drive me on. The STB is still one of the best-looking tanks in the game, however, and the new suspension looks interesting so I might go back to it soon. Only I've so many stalled grinds that I need to pick up ... :unsure:

TungstenHitman #7 Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:49 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 29813 battles
Another unpopular line of tanks "randomly" plucked out of the air by WG. Was never gonna be the Italian line or new Swedish meds was it. 

chainreact0r #8 Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:18 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 34243 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE

View PostTungstenHitman, on 29 July 2019 - 10:49 AM, said:

Another unpopular line of tanks "randomly" plucked out of the air by WG. Was never gonna be the Italian line or new Swedish meds was it. 

It recently received a massive buff, and is in line for getting an extra 2 degrees of depression to a grand total of -14, which is the best at tier 10.

With the 4k dpm and perma-track potential the tank has right now it instantly became one of my favorite meds alongside spaghetto, udes and leopard.

It's a good tank that is not exactly easy to play, so the meta will not be infested with brokenness, so i'd say it's a good pick for tott.

undutchable80 #9 Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:27 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 11087 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostTungstenHitman, on 29 July 2019 - 10:49 AM, said:

One of the reasons why I am glad its no longer up to the players to vote, since the majority would always pick the newest / strongest lines. 

TungstenHitman #10 Posted 29 July 2019 - 12:04 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 29813 battles
Ya with me it's probably more of a case of I think I'm done with grinding for a while. I just have my Leo PTA left to elite which is almost done and that will conclude the last of the recent grinds including a Standard B(omg love this tank so much!), AMX 13 90, some US TD I forget what its called, and object pancake flat tank and.... something else but point is I'd just like to enjoy and consolidate the tanks I have now at this stage. Good luck to those who are embarking on that Japanese tank journey though. 

Edited by TungstenHitman, 29 July 2019 - 12:04 PM.

Spurtung #11 Posted 29 July 2019 - 12:09 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 72674 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

View Postundutchable80, on 29 July 2019 - 10:27 AM, said:

One of the reasons why I am glad its no longer up to the players to vote, since the majority would always pick the newest / strongest lines. 

When voting, past options would be disabled, so when it was time to vote for a HT, the IS7 (first ever to be voted) would not show up anymore.

I liked that, the problem is that they never even got to go through all the lines before reverting the voting system back to "we tell you what you should like", and that will always mean some lines will never get to be TOTT, at all.

TankkiPoju #12 Posted 29 July 2019 - 12:33 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 22987 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View Postundutchable80, on 29 July 2019 - 11:27 AM, said:

Well why wouldn't the players pick new lines because you get the nice XP bonuses with ToTT. No one wants to grind more than they have to.

arthurwellsley #13 Posted 29 July 2019 - 12:59 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 54054 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

Japanese medium line

tier V - Type 3 Chi-Nu = I quite liked this one, seemed decent. Almost a gem.

tier V -  Type 3 Chi-Nu Kai = premium really great crew trainer, and quite relaxing to play. I still enjoy the occassional spin in it.

tier VI - Type 4 Chi-To = quite decent, but not as good as the T34-85M. I sold it.

tier VII - Type 5 Chi-Ri = one of the worst in this line. Sure it works fine to bully tier VI and below with the auto-loader but tier VI gun with low penetration and alpha does not cut it against tier IX opposition. Also very large, so no camo, lots of flat angles so both easy to find, hit and penetrate. I happily sold it.

tier VIII - STA-1 = when it first came out it was a decent ridge fighter, that was years ago. I still have it in my garage but it's been badly power crept by tanks like the T44-100.

tier VIII - STA-2 = I do not have one so no comment.

tier IX - Type 61 = I kept it and put a new crew in it. I don't play it very often, but it was worth keeping and is fun.

tier X - STB-1 = before the buffs this was my only tier X that I had a 4k+ damage average with per game. I understand it's better now.

Edited by arthurwellsley, 29 July 2019 - 01:00 PM.

Hammerhead20 #14 Posted 29 July 2019 - 01:05 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 28806 battles

If that's true, when I will re-buy Chi-Ri.

Still not sure though...

splash_time #15 Posted 29 July 2019 - 01:15 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 12042 battles
  • [GRFIN] GRFIN

Can someone explain? 

STB-1 worth grinding or no?

Edit: i don't have any tier 10 MT yet, so, if it worth it, I'll make it my first one

Edited by splash_time, 29 July 2019 - 01:16 PM.

sokolicc #16 Posted 29 July 2019 - 01:32 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 29489 battles
  • [V-TER] V-TER

View Postr00barb, on 29 July 2019 - 10:21 AM, said:

If you start up the light line, the Ke-Ho (tier IV) is good fun as a low tier light and possible seal-clubber. The Chi-Nu is good, I really enjoyed the Chi-To (tier VI), enough to keep it after finishing the grind. The Chi-Ri auto-loader is fun but the tank's the size of a house with flat, thin armour (sides can be over-matched by calibres over 105mm). The STA-1 is a pretty average tier 8 medium with 240 alpha but good pen on its AP (218mm with the top gun).

I've only played the Type 61 and STB on an old test server. I didn't mind them but my grind stalled at tier 8 because it's frankly a bit dull and I didn't find anything in them to drive me on. The STB is still one of the best-looking tanks in the game, however, and the new suspension looks interesting so I might go back to it soon. Only I've so many stalled grinds that I need to pick up ... :unsure:

Tier 8 have okay penetration, turret can bounce and DPM is crazy.

I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I hated tier 7 and lower due to paper armor, flat sides and low speed and Maus-like acceleration.

I am on tier 9 currently. Had stock grind so winrate is not that good but i got 5+k few times with STB-1 gun. Was nice, although it's not accurate to be sniper and it is not armored enough to be brawler.

I found Leo PTA much better than Type 61 in every regard except DPM and maybe a little bit of turret (mantlet) armor.

Nishi_Kinuyo #17 Posted 29 July 2019 - 01:51 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 8799 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

The Imperial Japanese Army × Japan Ground Self-Defence Force Medium Tank Line:

Tier 1: Its a renault FT with extra armour. Play it for 1-2 battles and move on.

Tier 2: Type 97 Chi-Ni. Prototype tank developed concurrently with the Type 97 Chi-Ha but ended up losing in the trials against it. It has a one-man turret with a low-velocity 57mm infantry support gun. Fire HE when possible, and everything else only when you're certain to pen. I found this to be a fairly poor tank, so play as few battles in it as possible.

Tier 3: Type 97 Chi-Ha/ShinHoTo Chi-Ha. Adopted for service in 2597 and saw action in the Nomonhan Incident where it was discovered that the low-velocity 57mm infantry support gun underperformed when put against tanks, leading to the development of the ShinHoTo with a high-velocity 47mm tank gun. Fairly average DPM but great penetration, gun depression and decent alpha for its tier. I found this to be a joy to play and a hidden (sealclubbing) gem.

Tier 4: Type 1 Chi-He/Type 2 Ho-I. Curious mix of medium tank and tank destroyer in one. Developed as a replacement for the Type 97 Chi-Ha but was produced only in limited numbers due to the development of better medium tanks. It can utilise both the short-barreled 75mm cannon from the Ho-I half, or for my preference, the 57mm experimental tank gun for high DPM with great gun depression. A favourite of mine for various missions requiring a tier 4+ tank.

Tier 5: Type 3 Chi-Nu. The last IJA medium tank to be produced in meaningful numbers. It has decent penetration and good gun depression, along with fairly decent handling. My advice is to play it with the 57mm gun until you unlock the 75mm Type 3, which is its historical cannon. The 75mm Type 5 cannon was a proposed upgrade also seen in the Chi-Nu Kai which has 155mm goldpen, giving it some chance frontally against an O-I. This is the first tank I've managed to 3-mark, so it has a special place in my heart.

Tier 6: Type 4 Chi-To. Proposed replacement for the Chi-Nu, with better (sloped) armour and an improved 75mm gun. It has acceptable mobility like most IJA tanks, along with good gun depression and decent handling. The DPM on this tank is also quite high, and enough to contest a Cromwell with. One of my favourite tanks for tier 6 Skirmishes, despite it not being meta.

Tier 7: Type 5 Chi-Ri. Last IJA medium tank to be prototyped before the end of the war. It stands out from the rest of the line due to its 3-shot autoloader with short clip reload time and very short inter-clip reload effectively giving it a pseudo-390 alpha gun. It comes with good gun depression and decent handling, but comes at the cost of its large size and sluggish agility. For most players, this is marmite: either you love it or you hate it.

Tier 8: STA-1/STA-3. Two different prototypes for the JGSDF's first native post-war medium tank. The stock gun is pretty terrible, but that goes for a lot of tier 8 tanks, but at least it gets amazing HEAT to make up for it. What stands out for this tank is the high DPM coupled with good gun depression and decent handling. Speed is on the slowish side though, and its armour is mostly non-existant. Haven't played it enough post-buff to form an opinion on it.

Tier 9: Type 61. The finished product of tier 8's prototype and Japan's first post-war MBT. Made in response due to the Korean War and the need for Japan to be able to independently defend itself. It comes with the historical 90mm cannon with crazy high DPM, if at the cost of penetration. Or the 105mm cannon with still respectable DPM and good handling. The armour was also buffed to remove most overmatch areas, but only the mantlet can be considered strong and only when toptier.

Tier 10: STB-1. First prototype for the Type 74 MBT. This tank was made using RHA as a cost-reduction method, although the tank itself ended up being almost obsolete by the time it was introduced. A number of these still serve today in the JGSDF. The STB-1 is another break-away from the Japanese MT line in that this tank has actual turret armour that can give a number of troll bounced, and the hydropneumatic suspension allowing it to get -14 degrees of gun depression¹. It has good DPM and handling ontop, although its speed might leave something to be desired. I feel that currently¹ it is an acceptable if not decent tier 10 medium, but I doubt it will change the competitive meta.

Spoiler

¹The -14 gun depression will come with the 1.6 patch in August.

Edited by Nishi_Kinuyo, 29 July 2019 - 01:58 PM.

r00barb #18 Posted 29 July 2019 - 02:57 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27533 battles

View Postarthurwellsley, on 29 July 2019 - 11:59 AM, said:

tier VIII - STA-2 = I do not have one so no comment.

It's pretty much the STA-1 with the second gun. Buffed a few patches ago but not in a way that makes it a must-have.

arthurwellsley #19 Posted 29 July 2019 - 03:55 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 54054 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View Postsplash_time, on 29 July 2019 - 12:15 PM, said:

Can someone explain? 

STB-1 worth grinding or no? Many of us have all the medium lines, so we have done them all. If you find the game enjoyable and keep playing it then in time you will have all the tier X tanks, and will have played all the different lines. So in part is the STB-1 worth grinding = yes. If you want the very best tech tree medium tank then no. That would be the line leading to the Object 140 in the USSR tech tree.

Edit: i don't have any tier 10 MT yet, so, if it worth it, I'll make it my first one  Any of the tier X mediums would make a good first one. Generally your results in your first tier X medium will be not as good as your results in the third or fourth one. This is because this is a complex game with many different game mechanics, and it takes quite along time to get the hang of it.

midnightambler #20 Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:03 PM

Private

• Player
  • 26241 battles
what role is sta1, it's got no turret armour, great gun dpm and great depression.....every time you try to hit ridges you get twatted by anything unless your in good MM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users