Map ideas. Leave feedback and your own designs.

New maps please.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

PhooBar #1 Posted 29 July 2019 - 04:54 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 20216 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I would really like to see some more new maps.

Since WG seems to be running out of ideas, maybe we should help them along with some of our own.

How well and/or poorly do you think this would play as a random battle map?

The Normandy bocage was notoriously difficult terrain, with nearly impenetrable tall hedges.

No chokepoints, no terrain advantage, active scouting is definitely required.

The darker green lines are hedgerows.  I'll clean up the picture later, if it doesn't DL properly.

Balc0ra #2 Posted 29 July 2019 - 05:05 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 71534 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Atm the issue is that the map team was 100% focused on HD maps. Not new maps for a long time, and thus fell behind. As it took 90 days pr map to convert to HD. So when 1.0 did close to release, they started on new maps again. The new issue then is that new maps from the ground up, as in design, testing, technical, fine details etc takes about 9 months pr map. So when you are behind as is. There will be a massive cap in map releases. So even if you give them ideas. It will be a year if so before it appears.

And since 1.0 we have had 15+ maps leaked in different stages. And only a few of them are on live so far. And a fair few we have not seen since the early tests. Inc a Battleship dock. The Czech airfield,  The V2 launch site one, the Polish map that looked like hidden village on the layout. Or even Lillehammer. New map ideas I suspect is not the issue. Getting them to work with the testers might be considering how many of them fall under. 

GB and FL maps are not made by WG's map team FYI. It's made by a 3rd party studio.

View PostPhooBar, on 29 July 2019 - 04:54 PM, said:

The Normandy bocage was notoriously difficult terrain, with nearly impenetrable tall hedges.

There was a map tested with Normandy "not the renamed overlord map". What happened to it, who knows. But it had a small town too. Not just hedges etc to break LOS. Tho WOT blitz got a reworked version of it not too long ago. Tho Overlord is a reworked version of the D-day mission from WG's RTS that came in 2010 iirc.

Edited by Balc0ra, 29 July 2019 - 05:09 PM.

StinkyStonky #3 Posted 29 July 2019 - 05:21 PM

Major

• Player
  • 33331 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-

I want one where each time spawns on the opposite sides of a steep valley.

Initially, all players will rush down to a giant frozen lake (like Glacier - whose name offends me as it doesn't actually contain a glacier), which has a surface of the ultra slippery "soap stone".

It needs to be small (400m square) and Tier 10 only :popcorn:

Ceeb #4 Posted 30 July 2019 - 12:55 PM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 32409 battles

Player maps is something I mentioned about 6 years ago, or more to the point a competion in making one and the winners get gold/a tank/thier map in game.

There are too many maps that seem designed by a blind man throwing velcro map bits a velcro wall for the initial designs.  So many of the maps with no go areas that take up a good percentage of it.

There are people in the player base that could make a well designed fair map. far better than the geniuses at WG.

Xandania #5 Posted 30 July 2019 - 01:24 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41445 battles
  • [-DGN-] -DGN-

View PostCeeb, on 30 July 2019 - 11:55 AM, said:

Player maps is something I mentioned about 6 years ago, or more to the point a competion in making one and the winners get gold/a tank/thier map in game.

There are too many maps that seem designed by a blind man throwing velcro map bits a velcro wall for the initial designs.  So many of the maps with no go areas that take up a good percentage of it.

There are people in the player base that could make a well designed fair map. far better than the geniuses at WG.

True, that porposal came quite a few times from a number of people - and it would make a nice recurring event to test those maps and maybe vote one in. Sadly whenever it gets proposed it usually gets ignored and/or commented on in the lines of "Who would make sure these maps were balanced" and such.... They wouldn't neccessarily be balanced, but we gan be sure that the more balanced maps would get more votes ;)

And it would outsource one major part of work to the players - so WG would only have to give them a special medal or something instead of pay.

Flicka #6 Posted 30 July 2019 - 02:18 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 23100 battles
  • [CELL] CELL

Increase the size of current maps, to roughly 50% more.

Hopefully it is less work then making a new map, and really believe it would benefit gameplay.

ThinGun #7 Posted 30 July 2019 - 03:25 PM

Major

• Player
  • 39319 battles
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO
A whole map that is completely flat, and yet totally forested.  Literally ... nowhere to hide.

Bordhaw #8 Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:54 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 14492 battles

View PostCeeb, on 30 July 2019 - 11:55 AM, said:

WG recently said they don't consider player map ideas. 

LordMuffin #9 Posted 31 July 2019 - 09:33 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 51622 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostBalc0ra, on 29 July 2019 - 05:05 PM, said:

Atm the issue is that the map team was 100% focused on HD maps. Not new maps for a long time, and thus fell behind. As it took 90 days pr map to convert to HD. So when 1.0 did close to release, they started on new maps again. The new issue then is that new maps from the ground up, as in design, testing, technical, fine details etc takes about 9 months pr map. So when you are behind as is. There will be a massive cap in map releases. So even if you give them ideas. It will be a year if so before it appears.

And since 1.0 we have had 15+ maps leaked in different stages. And only a few of them are on live so far. And a fair few we have not seen since the early tests. Inc a Battleship dock. The Czech airfield,  The V2 launch site one, the Polish map that looked like hidden village on the layout. Or even Lillehammer. New map ideas I suspect is not the issue. Getting them to work with the testers might be considering how many of them fall under. 

GB and FL maps are not made by WG's map team FYI. It's made by a 3rd party studio.

There was a map tested with Normandy "not the renamed overlord map". What happened to it, who knows. But it had a small town too. Not just hedges etc to break LOS. Tho WOT blitz got a reworked version of it not too long ago. Tho Overlord is a reworked version of the D-day mission from WG's RTS that came in 2010 iirc.

When WG release maps like Charkov, Minsk, Studzianski and remade Pilsen lately.

The issue isn't that it takes time for them to create maps, the issue is that WG have no [edited]idea on how to create a good map.

HaZardeur #10 Posted 31 July 2019 - 09:55 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 36313 battles
Dear OP... your idea will fail as the map you proposed doesnt supports WGs idea of map design aka no choke points that doesnt allow flanking and forces everyone in a frontal face to face stalement with then necessary 2 key spam, no dense wood for arti to hide in & no water nearby to drown in and last no hills in the corner were TDs can sit to overlook the entire map.

Edited by HaZardeur, 31 July 2019 - 09:56 AM.

mpf1959 #11 Posted 31 July 2019 - 12:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26176 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
heres mine. A map for 16 tanks in total, the map has one, unassailable hull-down place, the rest of it is flat and has no cover, the enemy are 15 type 95's, i am hull-down in my squonk. There is a flaw, boredom may set in at the second game.

Spurtung #12 Posted 31 July 2019 - 02:08 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 72674 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

View PostStinkyStonky, on 29 July 2019 - 04:21 PM, said:

Initially, all players will rush down to a giant frozen lake (like Glacier - whose name offends me as it doesn't actually contain a glacier), which has a surface of the ultra slippery "soap stone".

...and shooting is disabled.

PhooBar #13 Posted 01 August 2019 - 03:34 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 20216 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostStinkyStonky, on 29 July 2019 - 04:21 PM, said:

View PostSpurtung, on 31 July 2019 - 02:08 PM, said:

...and shooting is disabled.

They can name it "Ramstein"!

Get it?  Ram... stein

See what I did there?

Ram...

oh never mind.

Nobody else can be arsed to make up a freakin' map?

Edited by PhooBar, 01 August 2019 - 03:41 AM.

The_Naa #14 Posted 01 August 2019 - 04:15 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 7314 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

View PostPhooBar, on 01 August 2019 - 03:34 AM, said:

Nobody else can be arsed to make up a freakin' map?

here ya go. :)

Spoiler

its a simple desing that should bring something new to the table.

Spoiler

i put colours to explain how i think it should look like:

Green is on the road where scouts can drive around, flank and shoot stuff.

Red is in the city where Heavy and Medium tanks can brawl, trade, flank, tank hits and do other stuff they want to do.

Orange is on the hill where TD's, SPG and Medium snipers can get a advantage point on the road, to the city and to the base.

Simple.

Edit:

Spoiler

Added Flanking routes to the sides so tanks can approach the hills without having to move over too much open terrain.

Edited by The_Naa, 01 August 2019 - 04:18 AM.

Spurtung #15 Posted 01 August 2019 - 04:33 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 72674 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

View PostThe_Naa, on 01 August 2019 - 03:15 AM, said:

here ya go. :)

Spoiler

its a simple desing that should bring something new to the table.

Spoiler

i put colours to explain how i think it should look like:

Green is on the road where scouts can drive around, flank and shoot stuff.

Red is in the city where Heavy and Medium tanks can brawl, trade, flank, tank hits and do other stuff they want to do.

Orange is on the hill where TD's, SPG and Medium snipers can get a advantage point on the road, to the city and to the base.

Simple.

Edit:

Spoiler

Added Flanking routes to the sides so tanks can approach the hills without having to move over too much open terrain.

So...basically Ghost Town?

7thSyndicate #16 Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:50 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 46864 battles
WG cant care less about your ideas and what you think, thats the truth

The_Naa #17 Posted 01 August 2019 - 03:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 7314 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

View PostSpurtung, on 01 August 2019 - 04:33 AM, said:

problem?

its a good map. :)

its just a improved version with no sand

PhooBar #18 Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:36 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 20216 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSpurtung, on 01 August 2019 - 04:33 AM, said:

Can you make a better one?

Bulldog_Drummond #19 Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:39 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32681 battles
Personally i think that the game would be a lot better if it generated a unique random map every time.

Spurtung #20 Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:04 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 72674 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

View PostPhooBar, on 03 August 2019 - 06:36 PM, said:

Can you make a better one?

I could try making one just like Paris in 5 minutes and claim it's something new. Does that count?

19:05 Added after 1 minute

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 03 August 2019 - 06:39 PM, said:

Personally i think that the game would be a lot better if it generated a unique random map every time.

No need for something like that, but keeping the same template and then randomly place the same number of rocks, destructible buildings and bushes would surely make a welcomed difference.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users