Ghost Town - A good example on how to not do anything right.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
331 replies to this topic

LordMuffin #1 Posted 31 July 2019 - 09:48 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 51622 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

Issues with the map.

1: It is symmetrical.

This gives boring fights, it makes it predictable, and it removes a vast majority of all interesting and aggressive moves possible.

2: The city area is terribly designed.

Every corner in the city have rubble with hides lower plates and complete hulls on some tanks, making more or less every corner on the map a nice hulldown position, especially for lower profiled tanks, like russian ones.

The city area also have convenient spaces that allows to shoot in, but that is only possible at tanks that are advancing and attacking. Tanks that camp their corner in hulldown position are completely safe from this.

3: The area outside of the city is trash.

It is large open spaces with nice placed hulldown and bush covered positions at the ends, making any aggressive move a death sentence to the guy pushing.

How to play the map?

The best results on this map,  especially if arty is in the game.

If you go city: Go to a corner, put yourself hulldown and wait, at least 7 minutes before you even think of moving out.

Open area: Go to a bush somewhere and wait, for at least 7 minutes.

Who wins?

The team that have the most patience are in general the team that wins on Ghost Town.

If_I_Die_You_Die_Too #2 Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9749 battles

One of the best maps they've got, along with westfield

Jury still out on Kharkov for me but it could be ok

corridor tanks most of the rest of them

Paris

Himmelsdorf

etc way too small too

empires border ugh

GLACIER OMG

Edited by If_I_Die_You_Die_Too, 31 July 2019 - 10:11 PM.

LordMuffin #3 Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:13 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 51622 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostIf_I_Die_You_Die_Too, on 31 July 2019 - 10:10 PM, said:

One of the best maps they've got, along with westfield

Jury still out on Kharkov for me but it could be ok

corridor tanks most of the rest of them

Paris

Himmelsdorf

etc way too small too

empires border ugh

GLACIER OMG

Kharkov is another trash map.

One argument to why Ghost town is good?

If_I_Die_You_Die_Too #4 Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9749 battles

I enjoy playing it

I also enjoy frontline

It's a proper open warfare map with some cover

They could put a bit more cover on it in places but it works for me

EDIT I never take my tonk into the city, no one in the history of warfare took their tonks into cities

(Apart from Staligrad and Berlin)

You go around cities and cut them off, tonk warfare 101

City tank fights is paintball in the aisles at wallmart stuff

Edited by If_I_Die_You_Die_Too, 31 July 2019 - 10:28 PM.

Negativvv #5 Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:24 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12220 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

Nowhere near as bad as Providence which is basically a spawn camp...

Maps that require patience aren't exactly rare in WoT. Quite often the first team to push loses. The worst example I can think of is Airfield for that!

ValkyrionX #6 Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:25 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 50816 battles
  • [NOPAS] NOPAS
agree, this map is terrible , the old one was 100 times better also if smaller

LordMuffin #7 Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:25 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 51622 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostIf_I_Die_You_Die_Too, on 31 July 2019 - 10:19 PM, said:

I enjoy playing it

I also enjoy frontline

It's a proper open warfare map with some cover

They could put a bit more cover on it in places but it works for me

Ghost Town open warfare???? Lol. 

Negativvv #8 Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:26 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12220 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostLordMuffin, on 31 July 2019 - 10:13 PM, said:

Kharkov remake seems not to have captured what made the original fun as the "city" part is a corridor lie instead of a nice brawling area. At least that's how I remember the original!

KarmaMint #9 Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:27 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1806 battles
One of the better maps. A lot of cover from red line wankers

LordMuffin #10 Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:33 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 51622 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostKarmaMint, on 31 July 2019 - 10:27 PM, said:

One of the better maps. A lot of cover from red line wankers

No, you don't have that. Unless you go to your favourite city wall, go hulldown behind the rubble at the corner and wait.

The second you actually try to advance or be aggressive, you are driving into a crossfire from quite some redline super strong camping positions.

21:34 Added after 1 minute

View PostNegativvv, on 31 July 2019 - 10:26 PM, said:

Kharkov remake seems not to have captured what made the original fun as the "city" part is a corridor lie instead of a nice brawling area. At least that's how I remember the original!

Indeed, the new open area is a joke. You can't do anything there.

And the city is just a 1 wide Lane corridor. 

ValkyrionX #11 Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:36 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 50816 battles
  • [NOPAS] NOPAS

kharkov is actually a great map for all type of tanks 

the area of the city compared to the previous version offers an excellent playing area for more armored and support vehicles
while the conformation of the open area allows to play well medium, light and tds with high camo and interesting positioning for the arty and also allowing you to arrive almost without being spotted in the enemy base if you take advantage of the right situations using the trench that divides the map into two

ghost town is absolute rubbish..a city in the center and all the other tanks that are forced to play on the 4 sides of the map..wow..this is a bad map, not kharkov.

r00barb #12 Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:52 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27533 battles

It's funny because I've seen all the problems listed in the OP as features good maps should have in other threads. :D

LordMuffin #13 Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:57 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 51622 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View Postr00barb, on 31 July 2019 - 10:52 PM, said:

It's funny because I've seen all the problems listed in the OP as features good maps should have in other threads. :D

I have never seen any of them featured as good things in any other thread by a player who can distinguish between the front and the back of the tank.

r00barb #14 Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:58 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27533 battles

View PostLordMuffin, on 31 July 2019 - 09:57 PM, said:

I have never seen any of them featured as good things in any other thread by a player who can distinguish between the front and the back of the tank.

Ok.

ThinGun #15 Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:09 PM

Major

• Player
  • 39319 battles
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO

It's great for TDs.  Idiot heavies just trundle through town, exposing their flanks to anyone who cares to look.  Lights try to scout round the outskirts and die quickly.  Mediums try to sneak up the flanks and die too easily.  Then, having wiped out all the mobile tanks, a gentle stroll to the enemy base to mop up the TDs and arty who are all looking the wrong way.  I love it.

24doom24 #16 Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:24 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 8164 battles

Ghost Town is fine.

Widepark and Thundra , ensk (banned) , are unbearable to play on. 

The old version of Kharkov was better IMO.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #17 Posted 01 August 2019 - 02:29 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33544 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View PostLordMuffin, on 31 July 2019 - 10:57 PM, said:

Actually he has a point, plenty of people complain about maps that are not symmetrical because one side or other is perceived as having a slight advantage over the other, although why that makes any difference whatsoever when in the due course of time you get to play both sides anyway is anyones guess.

Also it's apparently the height of skill to be playing to your tanks strengths so parking yourself in a hull down position and staring at each other for 7 minutes until someone blinks should be lauded. That is the after all the 'dynamic gameplay ' that a certain mechanic in game allegedly ruins by existing to help dislodge those players demonstrating their 'skill'.

:) 

OmniWalou #18 Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:02 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 452 battles

View Postr00barb, on 31 July 2019 - 10:52 PM, said:

Same here. I've heard that people wanted symmetrical maps for example. Most importantly, OP is whining about open spaces, and then has listed Prokhorovka as one of his favorite maps in the MM thread. Imo Ghost town is well made, only downside is the hills at each base, and that's only downside for standard battles. For assault, I don't see them as a problem at all. The open area also is covered with elevation differences so the terrain forms the cover without making the map just corridors (which people like OP seem to see everywhere, ''there's a tree there and a tree here, so that's a corridor'' :P ). The city is a nice change to the open areas, a bit of urban environment so it's not all just open areas. Personally I've tried the city a few times but never found it to work for me. Rest of the map though works very well for me and like pretty much every map, I've formed tactics that suit me on it depending on situations.

Duck_of_Death #19 Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:53 AM

Warrant Officer

• WGL PRO Player
  • 23323 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

Ghost Town is only a bad Map because it has so many camper spots and open Ground making it completly impossible to push any of the two Field sides,it is a really fun Map to play in assault mode though (at least IMHO).

Charkov is the worst Map ever though in my Opinion,i really loved the old Charkov as it had one of the best City Areas ever,allowing you to flank,sidescrape,play Hulldown etc. the new Version however just has a few Chokepoints where all the Hulldown Monsters trade against each other  and a Field side that has the exact same Problems as Ghost town. 

All of the new/reworked Maps have one huge flaw anyways, they are designed for camping idiots,just look at Ghost Town,Steppes,Charkov,,Glacier etc. WG just adds a few elevated sniper Nests with Bushes and Hardcover(so even if you manage to spot the campers they can just instantly hide behind their stupid rocks) and a huge open Field inbetween so you can`t push.

And the city Areas get ruined by adding Piles of rubble around every corner turning every engagement into a borring Hulldown fight.

Map design really is my biggest Problem with this Game right now,just give me back old Steppes,Fish bay,Charkov and Ghost Town and i am happy...

Edited by Duck_of_Death, 01 August 2019 - 05:56 AM.

malachi6 #20 Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:05 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 50920 battles
First two posts illustrate the issues of map design and what people consider good or bad.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users