A problem with wheelies (not a whine thread)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Nitro_Tank #1 Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:06 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 6487 battles

Im not sure if this is intended or not, nevertheless i would i think it would we best if it was changed.

Im talking about using the autoaim/autolock or whatever you call it when using it against a wheelie. The problem with that is, that it often puts the lock at the very rear of the vehicle which when in close combat, makes you miss alot of shots and basically renders the feature useless, when in reality it should help you deal the super fast enemies. On other tanks it locks around the middle portion, so whatever angle they are to you, you still hit your shot. With them, if they face you head on it isnt a problem, but if they are showing the side while driving at a fast pace, you can't hit them even if you arent far away.

Some might say its a player issue. Of course if you are very good and precise you don't need the autolock, but many players arent and they can't keep up with having the target in the perfect position, including me.

I'd find it awesome if it behaved like every other tank, reliably locking in the middle to make close quarter combat fair.

This how i have experienced it anyway, have you guys experienced differently? What are your thoughts?

Edited by Nitro_Tank, 03 August 2019 - 06:07 PM.

vasilinhorulezz #2 Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:19 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26368 battles
Auto-aim always aims at center of mass. Including wheelies. Also auto-aiming at wheelies when they run around with 80kph won't get you anywhere. You always want to manual aim and predict their course.

Nitro_Tank #3 Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:26 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 6487 battles

I have noticed this alot playing lights recently, as i often have to face them 1vs1. It shouldnt be a problem, i can easily outdamage them, but it doesnt lock where i believe it should. I think the center of mass approach on the the WV's isnt fair, because it will lock to the end with the engine apparently. And this absolutely ruines the feature. They will never miss me in close combat because the lock is towards the middle-back, theirs is far more to the end. 

Its simply about leveling the playing field so everybody that chooses to use the feature has a similar result, not some having an advantage over others.

Edited by Nitro_Tank, 03 August 2019 - 06:28 PM.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #4 Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:48 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33517 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
It auto locks to the centre of mass, but on a fast moving target that means your reticle will be playing catch up so it might look like it's tracking the rear of the target.

If you want to check it for yourself get a friend with a wheelie and go try it out in a training room.

Edited by NUKLEAR_SLUG, 03 August 2019 - 06:49 PM.

Nitro_Tank #5 Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:54 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 6487 battles

Imagine the situation of you in one tank and the other in a WV driving roughly parallel, your turret doesnt have to catch up to anything as the angle they are towards you don't change alot. Still it is towards the rear although your turret can turn faster and even get ahead of it. it works reliably every single time on other tanks and i've never had a problem with it, its only the wheelies that escape me. Mind you that other tanks can also get incredibly fast on slopes.

Edited by Nitro_Tank, 03 August 2019 - 06:55 PM.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #6 Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:58 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33517 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
So go into a training room with a wheelie, activate the lock on and show us the screenshots proving there is a problem.

DutchBaron_ #7 Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:49 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 12004 battles
  • [FDAD] FDAD
The reticle is just lagging behind due to ping and server calculations probably. It's already noticeable on mediums moving across. But yeah due to there speed and there more reliable autoaim it's very hard to win a close combat 1v1 against most wheelies in a light having to split up your attention between moving and aiming

Nitro_Tank #8 Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:11 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 6487 battles

View PostDutchBaron_, on 03 August 2019 - 07:49 PM, said:

The reticle is just lagging behind due to ping and server calculations probably. It's already noticeable on mediums moving across. But yeah due to there speed and there more reliable autoaim it's very hard to win a close combat 1v1 against most wheelies in a light having to split up your attention between moving and aiming

I guess that could explain it as my internet connection isnt the best and maybe it doesnt quite handle the wheelie speed as well as the slightly lower tank speed. Still its weird because it isnt bad enough to impact other areas of play as i can still hit long range shots with lead reliably and i never felt like lag is a problem.

Perhaps its a general problem with the netcode, which gives people with good connections a sizeable advantage in fast changing situations?

Edited by Nitro_Tank, 03 August 2019 - 09:13 PM.

DutchBaron_ #9 Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:13 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 12004 battles
  • [FDAD] FDAD
With manual aim your brain is used to the ping and thus gives more lead as long as your ping is somewhat stable. Autoaim doesn't lead at all so probs 60-100 ms ping is enough to miss most targets especially the fast ones. And I also think that the server has to make some extra calculations with also adds a little bit of delay.

Nitro_Tank #10 Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:21 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 6487 battles

View PostDutchBaron_, on 03 August 2019 - 09:13 PM, said:

With manual aim your brain is used to the ping and thus gives more lead as long as your ping is somewhat stable. Autoaim doesn't lead at all so probs 60-100 ms ping is enough to miss most targets especially the fast ones. And I also think that the server has to make some extra calculations with also adds a little bit of delay.

Hmm thats probably it. Well damn.... crabby internet provider making things considerably more difficult than they could be. Thanks for the help!

Balc0ra #11 Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:19 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 71481 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostNitro_Tank, on 03 August 2019 - 06:26 PM, said:

I have noticed this alot playing lights recently, as i often have to face them 1vs1. It shouldnt be a problem, i can easily outdamage them, but it doesnt lock where i believe it should. I think the center of mass approach on the the WV's isnt fair, because it will lock to the end with the engine apparently. And this absolutely ruines the feature. They will never miss me in close combat because the lock is towards the middle-back, theirs is far more to the end. 

Its simply about leveling the playing field so everybody that chooses to use the feature has a similar result, not some having an advantage over others.

It's why I go manual aim at times vs some targets, even when moving. As you get a better shot. If you go auto-aim, you gotta keep an eye on the reticle. And fire when they shift direction etc, vs when it's trailing behind. As waiting a second extra waiting for him to turn around so you can hit the rear, or front is a bit better. And most lights do that often. So with those it's better not to fire at times. Vs just holding it down hoping for a hit. As most shots land way behind anyway if they drive across from you. Close up or not.

Bulldog_Drummond #12 Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:23 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32663 battles
Despite being a rubbish player I have found it quite easy to hit wheelies

Nitro_Tank #13 Posted 04 August 2019 - 01:10 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 6487 battles

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 03 August 2019 - 11:23 PM, said:

Despite being a rubbish player I have found it quite easy to hit wheelies

I have big troubles when they stick their tiny head out over a ridge line with high speed, basically impossible to hit. For example when im in the pit on the left side of prokorohwkalkfjlödsjk or whatever that map is called, you know with all the bushes and everybody camps. Its a good position to hold down because you can spot both sides easily. They just peak over for 1 millisecond, hit me and poof theyre gone again.

At medium distance its no problem usually, a little lead and its a hit.

I just like autolock because it works wonderfully against other lights, easiest hits ever. I'll try to turn it off facing wheelies and learn to aim it that way.

Edited by Nitro_Tank, 04 August 2019 - 01:14 AM.

truoste #14 Posted 04 August 2019 - 10:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41590 battles

View PostNitro_Tank, on 03 August 2019 - 05:06 PM, said:

Im not sure if this is intended or not, nevertheless i would i think it would we best if it was changed.

Im talking about using the autoaim/autolock or whatever you call it when using it against a wheelie. The problem with that is, that it often puts the lock at the very rear of the vehicle which when in close combat, makes you miss alot of shots and basically renders the feature useless, when in reality it should help you deal the super fast enemies. On other tanks it locks around the middle portion, so whatever angle they are to you, you still hit your shot. With them, if they face you head on it isnt a problem, but if they are showing the side while driving at a fast pace, you can't hit them even if you arent far away.

Some might say its a player issue. Of course if you are very good and precise you don't need the autolock, but many players arent and they can't keep up with having the target in the perfect position, including me.

I'd find it awesome if it behaved like every other tank, reliably locking in the middle to make close quarter combat fair.

This how i have experienced it anyway, have you guys experienced differently? What are your thoughts?

You would want the autoaim to lead a bit against fast moving targest? So basically what you would want is aimbot.

Autoaim is no good against fast moving targets and should not even be used against those. I would strongly suggest learning to aim manually as that is much better in almost every single scenario. 

Nitro_Tank #15 Posted 04 August 2019 - 11:01 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 6487 battles

View Posttruoste, on 04 August 2019 - 09:44 AM, said:

You would want the autoaim to lead a bit against fast moving targest? So basically what you would want is aimbot.

Autoaim is no good against fast moving targets and should not even be used against those. I would strongly suggest learning to aim manually as that is much better in almost every single scenario. 

Literally never said that anywhere, apparently you didnt read any posts in here. We concluded the reason it wasnt around the middle where it is with other tanks is because of my internet connection lagging behind. Stop with the useless trolling.

truoste #16 Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41590 battles

View PostNitro_Tank, on 04 August 2019 - 10:01 AM, said:

Literally never said that anywhere, apparently you didnt read any posts in here. We concluded the reason it wasnt around the middle where it is with other tanks is because of my internet connection lagging behind. Stop with the useless trolling.

Well, you strongly suggest that in your second post:

Block Quote

It shouldnt be a problem, i can easily outdamage them, but it doesnt lock where i believe it should. I think the center of mass approach on the the WV's isnt fair, because it will lock to the end with the engine apparently. And this absolutely ruines the feature.

How does your "lagging" internet connection lag only with wheelies but not with those normal fast moving targets? How come is it trolling when I call your bs? From my point of view you are using the gamemechanics wrong and would want them to be "fixed" to suit your special needs and I also gave you the correct solution for your problem but somehow it is trolling. 

onderschepper #17 Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:24 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2168 battles
  • [BOF] BOF

I assume you're using AP, thus switch to APCR which has a higher shell velocity........and aim manually.

Alternatively wait for the WV to make a mistake, as they frequently do, and return the HE they so kindly share with everyone.

tajj7 #18 Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:17 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27757 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Get a mod that shows you the server reticule as a secondary reticule, (watch Circonflexes the youtuber to see what it looks like) you'll then be able to tell if you are lagging and your aim is lagging behind.

But also don't fight WVs on the move in lights, its fighting in their strong environment. Use bushes, medium ranges, out spot them and shoo them from camo. 

onderschepper #19 Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:47 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2168 battles
  • [BOF] BOF

Not a Whine Thread...........what about a Thread Wine?

Image result for wine thread

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users