Why Losing is Good

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Bulldog_Drummond #1 Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32681 battles

As I look back on the past week, I see that I have achieved a 35% win rate, and 27% over the past 24 hours.  My survival rate has been 4.5%.

This, I believe, is one of the things that makes WoT such a great game.  It teaches backbone, humility, adds moral fibre, and a determination to improve and do better in future.  In this respect it is just as good as paying £30K a year to send your boy to one of the great English Public Schools like Eton, and it is of course far cheaper.

Playing WoT is a tonic, preventing as it does any tendency on my part to a swollen head.  It is true that I am handsome, cultured, wealthy, suave, highly intelligent, expensively educated and can spot at a glance the difference between a good and a bad tie or pair of socks.  But such things pale into insignificance in WoT.  Playing it daily is an essential mental tonic.

As the Great Master, PG Wodehouse, said of another game:

Golf is the Great Mystery. Like some capricous goddess, it bestows its favours with what would appear an almost fat-headed lack of method and discrimination. On every side we see big two-fisted he-men floundering round in three figures, stopping every few minutes to let through little shrimps with knock-knees and hollow cheeks, who are tearing up snappy seventy-fours.

Men capable of governing empires fail to control a small white ball, which presents no difficulties whatever to others with one ounce more brain than a cuckoo clock. 

Many bad golfers marry, feeling that a wife's loving solicitude may improve their game. But they are rugged, thick-skinned men, not sensitive and introspective. It is one of the chief merits of golf that non-success at the game induces a certain amount of decent humility, which keeps a man from pluming himself too much on any petty triumphs he may achieve in other walks of life.

I've just discovered the secret of golf. You can't play a really hot game unless you're so miserable that you don't worry over your shots. Take the case of a chip shot, for instance. If you're really wretched, you don't care where the ball is going and so you don't raise your head to see. Grief automatically prevents pressing and over-swinging. Look at the top-notchers. Have you ever seen a happy pro?

Golf acts as a corrective against sinful pride. I attribute the insane arrogance of the later Roman Emperors almost entirely to the fact that, never having played golf, they never knew that strange chastening humility which is engendered by a topped chip shot. If Cleopatra had been ousted in the first round of the Ladies' Singles, we should have heard a lot less of her proud imperiousness.

Vela_ZG #2 Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:49 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27191 battles
  • [CBS87] CBS87
:teethhappy:

Frostilicus #3 Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:52 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Clan Diplomat
  • 23549 battles
  • [-ZNO-] -ZNO-

Sage words from the Oldest Member :)

I felt that my weekly performance was disastrous, a quick look at Wot-life shows my stats were 20 wins out of 39, with 18 losses and a draw, for a win rate of 51.28 with a 12% survival ratio, actually better than I could expect really

I guess the lower WN8 was down to playing lower tiers, I rarely play tier 7 nowadays, mostly living in the tier 4-6 range.

Edited by Frostilicus, 04 August 2019 - 04:52 PM.

G01ngToxicCommand0 #4 Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 37465 battles
Getting run over by an automobile is a better experience than playing World of Tanks in my humble opinion, and I am speaking from personal experience.

Edited by G01ngToxicCommand0, 04 August 2019 - 07:08 PM.

Bulldog_Drummond #5 Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:14 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32681 battles

View PostG01ngToxicCommand0, on 04 August 2019 - 06:07 PM, said:

Getting run over by an automobile is a better experience than playing World of Tanks in my humble opinion, and I am speaking from personal experience.

No doubt that was a Nietzschean experience,

What does not kill us makes us stronger.

24doom24 #6 Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:15 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 8164 battles
k

Edited by 24doom24, 04 August 2019 - 07:15 PM.

__Eric__ #7 Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33738 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostFrostilicus, on 04 August 2019 - 03:52 PM, said:

Sage words from the Oldest Member :)

By far not the Oldest Member....fellow Dingers Trillock and Babbet are way over their 70's !!

Bulldog_Drummond #8 Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:25 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32681 battles

View Post__Eric__, on 04 August 2019 - 06:18 PM, said:

By far not the Oldest Member....fellow Dingers Trillock and Babbet are way over their 70's !!

It's not a matter of age, Eric.  The Oldest Member noted by Frosty is simply a fixture in many of PGW's golf stories:

https://www.forbes.com/forbes-life-magazine/2002/0304/035.html

Nearly all of the golf stories are narrated by an ancient sage known as the Oldest Member, from whose clubhouse aerie above the 18th green of the Manhooset Golf and Country Club in Long Island he has observed generations of spiffy young swells and well-heeled cheats play through. The Oldest Member is not so much world-weary as he is singularly aware of what others cannot see, that golf equals life. “The Great Mystery,” the Sage declares of the game. “Like some capricious goddess, it bestows its favours with what would appear an almost fat-headed lack of method and discrimination.”

spidre #9 Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:50 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 32822 battles
As an ex golfer, retired because the old bones couldn't manage 18 holes anymore, I was appalled at the amount of cheating going on. Anyway, I looked around for a competetive game online and installed WOT!!!! Nuff said!!

Blubba #10 Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:57 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 59440 battles

Block Quote

Playing WoT is a tonic, preventing as it does any tendency on my part to a swollen head.  It is true that I am handsome, cultured, wealthy, suave, highly intelligent, expensively educated and can spot at a glance the difference between a good and a bad tie or pair of socks.  But such things pale into insignificance in WoT.  Playing it daily is an essential mental tonic.

But BD, you forgot to mention you're irrefutably honest and modest to boot! 

Bulldog_Drummond #11 Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:04 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32681 battles

View Postspidre, on 04 August 2019 - 06:50 PM, said:

As an ex golfer, retired because the old bones couldn't manage 18 holes anymore, I was appalled at the amount of cheating going on. Anyway, I looked around for a competetive game online and installed WOT!!!! Nuff said!!

When you and I are gone, spidre, there will be no more spiffers zigzagging about the map like a liner being pursued by submarines.  There is no stopping Progress,

The only way of really finding out a man’s true character is to play Tanks with him.  In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.

19:06 Added after 1 minute

View PostBlubba, on 04 August 2019 - 06:57 PM, said:

But BD, you forgot to mention you're irrefutably honest and modest to boot! 

The English are moral, the English are good
And clever and modest and misunderstood

And all the world over, each nation's the same
They've simply no notion of playing the game
They argue with umpires, they cheer when they've won
And they practice beforehand, which ruins the fun!

Edited by Bulldog_Drummond, 04 August 2019 - 08:08 PM.

Bordhaw #12 Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:32 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 14492 battles

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 04 August 2019 - 03:43 PM, said:

As I look back on the past week, I see that I have achieved a 35% win rate, and 27% over the past 24 hours.  My survival rate has been 4.5%.

LordMuffin #13 Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:14 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 51622 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 04 August 2019 - 04:43 PM, said:

This, I believe, is one of the things that makes WoT such a great game.  It teaches backbone, humility, adds moral fibre, and a determination to improve and do better in future.  In this respect it is just as good as paying £30K a year to send your boy to one of the great English Public Schools like Eton, and it is of course far cheaper.

As the Great Master, PG Wodehouse, said of another game:

Golf is the Great Mystery. Like some capricous goddess, it bestows its favours with what would appear an almost fat-headed lack of method and discrimination. On every side we see big two-fisted he-men floundering round in three figures, stopping every few minutes to let through little shrimps with knock-knees and hollow cheeks, who are tearing up snappy seventy-fours.

Men capable of governing empires fail to control a small white ball, which presents no difficulties whatever to others with one ounce more brain than a cuckoo clock. 

Many bad golfers marry, feeling that a wife's loving solicitude may improve their game. But they are rugged, thick-skinned men, not sensitive and introspective. It is one of the chief merits of golf that non-success at the game induces a certain amount of decent humility, which keeps a man from pluming himself too much on any petty triumphs he may achieve in other walks of life.

I've just discovered the secret of golf. You can't play a really hot game unless you're so miserable that you don't worry over your shots. Take the case of a chip shot, for instance. If you're really wretched, you don't care where the ball is going and so you don't raise your head to see. Grief automatically prevents pressing and over-swinging. Look at the top-notchers. Have you ever seen a happy pro?

Golf acts as a corrective against sinful pride. I attribute the insane arrogance of the later Roman Emperors almost entirely to the fact that, never having played golf, they never knew that strange chastening humility which is engendered by a topped chip shot. If Cleopatra had been ousted in the first round of the Ladies' Singles, we should have heard a lot less of her proud imperiousness.

Oh no, you are doing this the wrong way.

You got 35% recent WR because the game is rigged. I had higher hopes of you, but you have disappointed me.

TankkiPoju #14 Posted 06 August 2019 - 03:16 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 22987 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Sometimes you eat the game, and sometimes the game eats you.

Sometimes you drink at the game, and sometimes you drink with the game.

Frostilicus #15 Posted 06 August 2019 - 03:21 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Clan Diplomat
  • 23549 battles
  • [-ZNO-] -ZNO-

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 04 August 2019 - 06:25 PM, said:

It's not a matter of age, Eric.  The Oldest Member noted by Frosty is simply a fixture in many of PGW's golf stories:

https://www.forbes.com/forbes-life-magazine/2002/0304/035.html

Nearly all of the golf stories are narrated by an ancient sage known as the Oldest Member, from whose clubhouse aerie above the 18th green of the Manhooset Golf and Country Club in Long Island he has observed generations of spiffy young swells and well-heeled cheats play through. The Oldest Member is not so much world-weary as he is singularly aware of what others cannot see, that golf equals life. “The Great Mystery,” the Sage declares of the game. “Like some capricious goddess, it bestows its favours with what would appear an almost fat-headed lack of method and discrimination.”

I bought the Golf Omnibus when I found myself bookless facing a long train journey, as a long term lover of Jeeves & Wooster I was surprised to find that I enjoyed the stories of Crocquet playing blackguards, cheating and the Oldest Member trapping a youngster before proceeding with his tirade more than J & W - still makes me smile today :)

Bulldog_Drummond #16 Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:29 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32681 battles

View PostFrostilicus, on 06 August 2019 - 02:21 PM, said:

I bought the Golf Omnibus when I found myself bookless facing a long train journey, as a long term lover of Jeeves & Wooster I was surprised to find that I enjoyed the stories of Crocquet playing blackguards, cheating and the Oldest Member trapping a youngster before proceeding with his tirade more than J & W - still makes me smile today :)

Although I have never played golf, the PGW golf stories are gems.  I think my favourite is "The Magic Plus Fours", but they are all pretty good,  Also less well known than the J&W stories are the Mr Mulliner short stories, which I cannot recommend too highly.

Well, back on topic, I took a break yesterday to deal with tiresome things of no importance, like work, but will have another go this evening.  Looking on the positive side, it is possible (though I would not claim certain) that even I might be able to improve on my 27% win rate.

Rexxter #17 Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:18 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 21165 battles

Thank you, I very much enjoyed your argument

And I very much enjoyed your PG Woodhouse quote

PG for the win I say

Bulldog_Drummond #18 Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:21 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32681 battles

View PostRexxter, on 06 August 2019 - 08:18 PM, said:

Thank you, I very much enjoyed your argument

And I very much enjoyed your PG Woodhouse quote

PG for the win I say

Thanks.

In the spirit of The Magic Plus Fours, and against the sound advice of my friends, I just splashed out the price of two packs of fags on the despised Pz.Kpfw. IV Schmalturm as a trainer for my VK3002M.  A handy win, and I enjoyed putting four shots into an OI and blowing it up.  Now 100% wins in the Schmalturm (albeit after one game).  What a difference 2 days makes!

thetartanbaron #19 Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:28 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3300 battles
Yup sometimes random doesn't feel random and sometimes you're the hammer and sometimes you're the nail

Quint_Gen #20 Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:33 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17716 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 04 August 2019 - 04:43 PM, said:

Does this mean that if I carry on playing WOT for 3 more years I'll end up like Boris Johnson? No thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users