Why Are Pre-Battle Platoons Featured In Random Battles?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 06 August 2019 - 03:55 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 29836 battles

Hi guys.

Sort of a sensitive topic here but it's something I've wondered about since it was clear how this has very serious influences in the result outcome of a battle. You can have a fail-toon SO bad that they will tilt a teams chances so badly there's realistically no hope of a win and alternatively you can have a win-toon made of excellent players in which losing is almost impossible. There are some variables such as what tier they feature and if it's a mixed tier or same tier battle but if both cases are top tier in particular their effects heavily determine the battle result. Is this fair to the solo players in the battle that they get stomped to a heavy loss clearly because the toon either with them were terrible or against them were great, in what's supposed to be a random battle?

Thing about it, this is supposed to be random battles, and I'm highlighting the term random, as in randomly mixed players, not influenced by a fixed set of perimeters, the non-random players that have tooned before the battle starts, albeit partially fixed. By tooning, before the battle, this randomness has been removed, at least partially, or with 3 players tooning that makes up 3 out of the 15 teammates so 20% of the team is NOT random. We know this influences results we can see by the results and also by very average players with higher win rates because they are removing this random part of the battle mode by tooning with 2 excellent players that carry them to a flattering win rate on a particular tank their wn8 and performance with it clearly wouldn't justify had they played solo but I don't care about that so much as the influence it has what's supposedly random battles. There are clan only gamemodes in which players can toon and do all that already, so can we not have one game mode without this influence and let random battles be actually random battles?

What do you guys feel about tooning being a feature in what's supposed to be a random battles? Is it ok, is it wrong, makes no difference?

Vela_ZG #2 Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:04 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27196 battles
  • [CBS87] CBS87
It is random for everyone except that platoon. So it is random for you or me. You could either get a good platoon in your team or a bad one, or no platoon. So it is random.

DuncaN_101 #3 Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:10 PM

Major

• Player
  • 55473 battles
  • [TEC] TEC

so does this mean you want people not able to play with known friends anymore? ... that would be the last nail in the coffin for a good part of players i'd say.

yes the platoon of 2 or 3 people are not random but the rest of the match still is just as random also a platoon usually isn't toptier (or it didn't used 2 be) so they will be fighting higher tiers for sure ... except T10 ofcourse.

now lets face it a fail toon isn't possible anymore like it used to be (tier 1 and tier 10 is what i mean)

bad players are everywhere equally in toons or not so that really doesn't matter in my eyes but thats me.

StinkyStonky #4 Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:32 PM

Major

• Player
  • 33331 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-

View PostDuncaN_101, on 06 August 2019 - 03:10 PM, said:

so does this mean you want people not able to play with known friends anymore? ... that would be the last nail in the coffin for a good part of players i'd say.

WG could introduce skill based MM for platoons ... BUT that would just be a slower nail.

Toons would have to wait longer to get a game, especially the very high stat platoons ... so they would give up.

And platooning would become less and less and less.

Nishi_Kinuyo #5 Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:36 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 8810 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostStinkyStonky, on 06 August 2019 - 04:32 PM, said:

WG could introduce skill based MM for platoons ... BUT that would just be a slower nail.

Toons would have to wait longer to get a game, especially the very high stat platoons ... so they would give up.

And platooning would become less and less and less.

And what if a unicum teams up with a tomato?

How would you want to balance that?

How would you prevent people from potentially abusing that mechanic?

No, skill-based matchmaking isn't an answer.

View PostDuncaN_101, on 06 August 2019 - 04:10 PM, said:

Playing with friends or clanmates is, imo, more enjoyable than playing by myself.

So whoever wants to remove that feature from the game can stick it where the sun don't shine.

DuncaN_101 #6 Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:05 PM

Major

• Player
  • 55473 battles
  • [TEC] TEC
It's the only reason to still play for me so yeah... Take that away and why should I still bother then

Homer_J #7 Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:58 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31782 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostTungstenHitman, on 06 August 2019 - 03:55 PM, said:

What do you guys feel about tooning being a feature in what's supposed to be a random battles? Is it ok, is it wrong, makes no difference?

Like everything else it makes no difference in the long run, except if you are the unicum / not platoon.

gunslingerXXX #8 Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:58 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 12535 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

View PostVela_ZG, on 06 August 2019 - 04:04 PM, said:

It is random for everyone except that platoon. So it is random for you or me. You could either get a good platoon in your team or a bad one, or no platoon. So it is random.

This ^

__Eric__ #9 Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33738 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Imo one of the best features of the game, to be able to play with your friends.

Bordhaw #10 Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:15 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 14492 battles

View PostTungstenHitman, on 06 August 2019 - 02:55 PM, said:

In battle platoons don't benefit from the platoon bonuses. You have to be in a platoon before pressing Battle. 

View Post__Eric__, on 06 August 2019 - 07:06 PM, said:

Imo one of the best features of the game, to be able to play with your friends.

__Eric__ #11 Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33738 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostBordhaw, on 06 August 2019 - 08:15 PM, said:

If you draw a fish you will have 199 friends ;)

TungstenHitman #12 Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:01 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 29836 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 06 August 2019 - 06:58 PM, said:

Like everything else it makes no difference in the long run, except if you are the unicum / not platoon.

Probably, I guess across enough battles everyone gets there share of good and bad platoons. I guess this subject was brought to mind on the back of a few recent battles in which out top tier players, 3 were tooners, did absolutely nothing, camped at the back with their heavy tanks, never looked to actually do anything or even camp in a position where they could actually shoot anything and died with 1 shot between them all. It was pathetic and screwed the battle for us 12 other players. I checked them out later, they were 43-44% win rate players, 2 had less than 2k battles, were playing tier 10 tanks. Sure, there are plenty of clueless players of this caliber, generally there a few most every battle, for both teams, but since those are solo players that potential is not set in stone before the battle begins so you may or may not have 1 or 2 or however many. You might have 1 top tier 42% win rate, all 14 teammates might be 42% win rate lol, but with the tooners it draws my attention a lot more because they actively created that situation, in a team game, they knowingly grouped together very much aware that any team they get is boned, and to me that's selfish and unsportsmanlike behavior, to knowingly destroy the chances of 12 other players in a team based battle where the goal of the game is to win. The other toon was 3 Kranvans, the team wasn't doing what they wanted to do so they took turns killing players by coordinated shots between them so when one turned blue the other took over so the blue guy would not get banned though this behavior is very rare I must say.

Sure, I get the "yay friends" thing, I toon too sometimes though that hardly weakens the teams chances. When it comes to hooking up with mates I tend to go to restaurants, sporting events, the pub etc. Good players tooning at least they are bringing something positive to their team but those that are totally inexperienced, clueless, clearly don't give a flying fork and are selfishly just goofing around for lols in a team game and at top tiers, not sure that's cool tbh. 

chainreact0r #13 Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:03 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 34250 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE

View PostTungstenHitman, on 07 August 2019 - 10:01 AM, said:

Good players tooning at least they are bringing something positive to their team but those that are totally inexperienced, clueless, clearly don't give a flying fork and are selfishly just goofing around for lols in a team game and at top tiers, not sure that's cool tbh. 

Quite the hypocrisy there, since there is virtually no difference between unicum platoon on enemy team and bot platoon on your team. The result is most likely a defeat in both cases.

I guess your mentality could be something like:

Oh, unicum platoon on our side, yaay we won.

Oh, unicum platoon on the enemy side, it's lost go die.

Oh, bot platoon on our side, god damn clueless noobs ruining games.

Oh, bot platoon on the enemy side, ez farm purple wn8 for this battle lololol.

You can see 50% of the time you are happy and 50% you are sad, which seems quite random and balanced to me.

Plus, from my experience, bots platoon way less often than good players, so despite the much higher number of tomatoes, i'd say the amount of bot and unicum platoons is kinda even.

TungstenHitman #14 Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:23 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 29836 battles

View Postchainreact0r, on 07 August 2019 - 10:03 AM, said:

Quite the hypocrisy there, since there is virtually no difference between unicum platoon on enemy team and bot platoon on your team. The result is most likely a defeat in both cases.

Not at all if you cared to read the OP in which all cases of tooning were raised, both very strong and very weak platoons.

It's a very unfair and unbalanced game as it is, it's worth mentioning how the influences of 3 player fail toons or unicum toons generally outdo them all combined. We've all experienced it, it's not too uncommon and I doubt anyone enjoys it when they're working their backside off to try and hold a flank or make a play or defend and 3 muppets with tanks that could blow the enemy team away are drooling behind some building not doing anything or are long since destroyed. Just as equally unfair when 3 good and very experienced players toon up with their obj 907's and Chieftains and 279's and mash a team. No I don't enjoy either case either with or against and I doubt many do in all cases its toxic. 

There's potential solutions to reduce the effects of course like limiting numbers to a maximum of 2 players instead of 3 or to limit them to certain tiers only so that nothing higher than tier8 see's it or nothing lower than tier5 see's since I am well aware of highly experienced purple players tooning at tier3 too, with 5 crew food run gold ammo PZ1C it's all toxic there's no denying that and it's about trying to bring at least some level of fairness to what's already a very unfair and unbalanced game. It's the unfairness and unbalance that makes this game challenging and rewarding which is why it feels great to come out on top but lets try and keep it constrained to at least some sensible parameters. There's plenty of game modes, I'm just talking about random battles.

Homer_J #15 Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:42 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31782 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Everyone has the option to join a clan which will give them opportunities to platoon if it bothers you that much.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users